OT - NO POLITICS Lazy, Hazy Days of Summah

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
charlie-brown-snoopy.gif
Oh yeah…and somehow we thought if we wrapped the tops of the rabbit ears with aluminum foil, it would somehow improve the reception :rolleyes::laugh: Those were the days!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Finally! The Spotify web player for desktop allows you to change the speed on podcasts. Mobile always could but you never could on the desktop. Now I can get through podcasts at 1.5-2x to get through them faster during work.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I remember me and my friends renting a place on the Cape during the "Morgan Miracle" in the summer of '88, the year we graduated HS. We wanted to pull in the Sox games on WSBK, so we bought a full roll of tin foil and connected the rabbit ears on the TV to the antenna on the roof. I doubt it worked but we convinced ourselves that it did.

Good times.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Out here in Western Mass, we have lots of little ice cream shops, especially as you get closer to New York state. I am not particularly attached to any of them, but miss the old A&W stands/shops.
I have not had A&w Root beer since, 1976 or 1977. I used to go to summer camp in Wisconsin's Northwoods, Rhinelander to be exact.

Never a great fan, but I came to appreciate it. By the way I thought it was more of a Midwestern thing.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Spent today helping son # 2 and his GF move into their new apartment in Quincy. Elevation at Crown Colony. Nice. Pool, gym, the works.

Now for the bad news . Her 65“ old vizio cracked in the uhaul.

Now for the greatest f***ing news ever!
The Bride turns to me and says “you want one of them fancy oled tv things dontcha?“

I just stared.

“ Give Matt and Lexi our 65“ Sony xbr and go get yourself a new one. The fancy kind. Your very first social security check comes next week and will be something to remember it by”.

Matt turned to me and said “ Dad, please say yes and dont screw this up”.

Im going tomorrow to check these two out ( Im a Sony guy)..

:D
That Bride's a keepah, right??

Awesome!!!!

That first SocSec check is sweet!!!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Oh yeah…and somehow we thought if we wrapped the tops of the rabbit ears with aluminum foil, it would somehow improve the reception :rolleyes::laugh: Those were the days!
Not to be outdone:

Early to mid 70s, black and white TV. Reception not great.

So, I decided the television was overheated. And needed a bit of relief.

I poured water in the vents at the back of the television set.

Exceptionally lucky that I was not electrocuted nor started a fire.

Reception was the same.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Ah the memories of rabbit ears! I also recall getting our first VCR in the 1980s and it had a sheet of what looked like a film negative with numbers - I had to cut them out (tiny squares) and insert them into the VCR so we knew what channels it was tuned to for recording. It also had to be tuned by turning little wheels and trying to find the channels one by one, I remember my fingers and thumbs hurting....lol What a PITA that used to be! Of course, the remote with the wire was a luxury, unless the dog ran through the room.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
In my younger days I was a wiz with electronics. TV, stereo, VCR you name it I could set it up & use it.

Today? Forget it. I have to have my nephew or niece do it for me. Lucky for me they're very fond of their Auntie.

Reactions: sooshii

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Another 4" of rain overnight here. Still have power and the roads are ok where I am but others aren't as lucky.

Hope all of our Western MA, Vermont and Upstate NY posters are ok! The flooding is just devastating there. The video from Ludlow, VT and other towns along the CT River is jaw dropping. Stay safe!

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Another 4" of rain overnight here. Still have power and the roads are ok where I am but others aren't as lucky.

Hope all of our Western MA, Vermont and Upstate NY posters are ok! The flooding is just devastating there. The video from Ludlow, VT and other towns along the CT River is jaw dropping. Stay safe!

most dudes would prolly call it 6" of rain

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
most dudes would prolly call it 6" of rain
HAHA.

I have to reiterate that it pales in comparison to what is going on in Vermont. We are expected to really dry out the rest of the week with temps in the mid 90's with heat index as high as 112.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

I saw this on Twitter, very scary.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

We were lucky in my little town there was some street flooding & washouts but nothing that can't be fixed quickly.

And of course it is a beautiful day today as it always is after a hard storm. My mother always said it was because Mother Nature felt guilty after unleashing her power like that.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
finally found this game on youtube.
talk about memories.
the crowd was just out of control this game. it was like a frat party in section 310

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

It's actually nice in Western MA now. It is, however not very nice about a half hour south of me. It is very bad in Vermont as well. I hope they are ok...

Last edited:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
It was only a matter of time but the strength his survivors continue to show is remarkable.

Her tweet series was the first thing I saw yesterday on line. Her courage and her philosophy are the embodiment of compassion. Her answers to trolls, her request to not retweet the violence of memes, etc was incredible.
her modeling in terms of trauma and how she holds it has left an imprint on me. shes providing a spiritual and energetic haven.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
finally found this game on youtube.
talk about memories.
the crowd was just out of control this game. it was like a frat party in section 310

I remember the Carolina series that year pretty well, but I really don't remember much of anything from the Buffalo series after it. Probably because outside of that game they just got shut down by Hasek IIRC.

I was 12 at the time, and don't think I appreciated those late-90s Bruins teams enough. Peak Jason Allison is probably the most underrated player in Bruins history. Kristich was a beast too. The rest of the roster had role guys but Pat Burns always got his depth players to work their asses off. And Kyle McLaren should've been a Bruin for life. Wish MOC didn't try to go cheap on his contract renewal and cause him to hold out, dude emanated Bruins hockey.

In either 1998 or 1999 there was a path for them to take a run since the top seeds got knocked off early both years - 1998 they may have beat Washington if Tim Taylor's foot wasn't slightly in the crease, in 1999 they got wiped by Hasek but that game 1 shows they could've hung with them if they had some bounces go their way. They would've been destroyed in the finals either year since the West was head and shoulders better than the East at that point, but I wonder if things go differently with Ray Bourque at the end of his career if say he gets to the SCF in 1998 or 1999 as a Bruin.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Her tweet series was the first thing I saw yesterday on line. Her courage and her philosophy are the embodiment of compassion. Her answers to trolls, her request to not retweet the violence of memes, etc was incredible.
her modeling in terms of trauma and how she holds it has left an imprint on me. shes providing a spiritual and energetic haven.
I truly admire her for being able to do this. I'm afraid I just don't have it in me. I go from one extreme to the other. :confused:

Reactions: Kovi

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Foil increases the surface area of the antenna and as a metal will absorb and conduct waves, so it genuinely could make the old antennas work better and improve their ability to pick up a signal simply by increasing the amount of material available to 'catch' the incoming radio waves. Very rough and ready and hit or miss of course, and probably in most cases it didn't do much, but in the right circumstances it could actually help a bit, and sometimes that little bit of extra signal strength was all you needed to get the channel you were after!

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I have not had A&w Root beer since, 1976 or 1977. I used to go to summer camp in Wisconsin's Northwoods, Rhinelander to be exact.

Never a great fan, but I came to appreciate it. By the way I thought it was more of a Midwestern thing.
We had an A&W drive-in in the tiny town of Holbrook, AZ where I was born. I can remember going there before we move from there in 1978. I even have a baby root beer mug we got while we still lived there. Apparently there's still one in town, though it looks like it has moved. According to their website, there are still A&W's in 37 states. I would have been less surprised to hear they had gone out of (the restaurant) business decades ago.
IMG_2314.jpg

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Foil increases the surface area of the antenna and as a metal will absorb and conduct waves, so it genuinely could make the old antennas work better and improve their ability to pick up a signal simply by increasing the amount of material available to 'catch' the incoming radio waves. Very rough and ready and hit or miss of course, and probably in most cases it didn't do much, but in the right circumstances it could actually help a bit, and sometimes that little bit of extra signal strength was all you needed to get the channel you were after!
I remember when we moved into our house in central CA, after we moved from AZ (see above!), we got some stations from San Francisco, and some from Sacramento. That house had a motorized antenna, which you could rotate to pick up the channels from one direction or the other. I thought we were living like kings!

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I remember the Carolina series that year pretty well, but I really don't remember much of anything from the Buffalo series after it. Probably because outside of that game they just got shut down by Hasek IIRC.

I was 12 at the time, and don't think I appreciated those late-90s Bruins teams enough. Peak Jason Allison is probably the most underrated player in Bruins history. Kristich was a beast too. The rest of the roster had role guys but Pat Burns always got his depth players to work their asses off. And Kyle McLaren should've been a Bruin for life. Wish MOC didn't try to go cheap on his contract renewal and cause him to hold out, dude emanated Bruins hockey.

In either 1998 or 1999 there was a path for them to take a run since the top seeds got knocked off early both years - 1998 they may have beat Washington if Tim Taylor's foot wasn't slightly in the crease, in 1999 they got wiped by Hasek but that game 1 shows they could've hung with them if they had some bounces go their way. They would've been destroyed in the finals either year since the West was head and shoulders better than the East at that point, but I wonder if things go differently with Ray Bourque at the end of his career if say he gets to the SCF in 1998 or 1999 as a Bruin.
yeah.
they had the path in 1999. i think all the teams ahead of them lost and they wouldve had home ice .
i really thought they wouldve made the finals in 99.
what a great year that was. i was 21 and the playoffs were just a blast.
the only other year we were underdogs that i thought we couldve won the cup was 2008. if we got by mtl i think we wouldve gone to the finals. we were sneaky good that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad