OT - NO POLITICS Lazy, Hazy Days of Summah

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Just saw that Peaceful Meadows Ice Cream in Whitman is closing the end of August and the entire property auctioned off. :(
Yeah the Middleboro location changed hands a year or two ago. Based on the age of the family involved, it’s probably a good time to sell.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I have never heard rain beat down hard on windows like I did early this morning. We’ve had over 6 inches of rain in the last few days.

This is the little creek behind the house. No one is in danger of water but now snake watch is on.

full

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Ice cream talk reminds me of this place I used to go to growing up in Mass. In like Stoughton or Brockon idk. Some big like dairy farm that also serves ice cream and hella cows are there forgot the name.

Reactions: BMC

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Ice cream talk reminds me of this place I used to go to growing up in Mass. In like Stoughton or Brockon idk. Some big like dairy farm that also serves ice cream and hella cows are there forgot the name.
You might be thinkng of Crescent Ridge in Sharon.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Just saw that Peaceful Meadows Ice Cream in Whitman is closing the end of August and the entire property auctioned off. :(

There goes my childhood. Best Butter Pecan in the world, and their Black Raspberry is to die for. Though it was to be expected. They haven't been an actual dairy farm in a long time and that land is worth too much of a fortune to just be sitting there unused.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Mmmm....ice cream! When I was a kid in England, the Mr Whippy ice cream man came around in the ice cream van and my favourite was a "99" - soft whipped ice cream with a Cadbury's Flake stuck in it. If we got a big treat, we would get a double 99 with two flakes. There was also a Fab bar which was some sort of popsicle type thing filled with cream and dipped in hundreds & thousands (sprinkles).
1688930465908.png

1688930540608.png

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
There goes my childhood. Best Butter Pecan in the world, and their Black Raspberry is to die for. Though it was to be expected. They haven't been an actual dairy farm in a long time and that land is worth too much of a fortune to just be sitting there unused.

So many places like that close down sooner or later. There's a great ice cream shop near where I live that's been there my whole life. It's in a small coastal town where stores come and go almost with the seasons, and there's precious little that survives for 10 years let alone 30 or 40. But somehow that single independent ice creamery has stuck around all these years. If it were to close one day I'd have that same feeling of an important link to the past slipped away.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Spent today helping son # 2 and his GF move into their new apartment in Quincy. Elevation at Crown Colony. Nice. Pool, gym, the works.

Now for the bad news . Her 65“ old vizio cracked in the uhaul.

Now for the greatest f***ing news ever!
The Bride turns to me and says “you want one of them fancy oled tv things dontcha?“

I just stared.

“ Give Matt and Lexi our 65“ Sony xbr and go get yourself a new one. The fancy kind. Your very first social security check comes next week and will be something to remember it by”.

Matt turned to me and said “ Dad, please say yes and dont screw this up”.

Im going tomorrow to check these two out ( Im a Sony guy)..

:D

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So many places like that close down sooner or later. There's a great ice cream shop near where I live that's been there my whole life. It's in a small coastal town where stores come and go almost with the seasons, and there's precious little that survives for 10 years let alone 30 or 40. But somehow that single independent ice creamery has stuck around all these years. If it were to close one day I'd have that same feeling of an important link to the past slipped away.

I've been going to Peaceful Meadows since before I could remember. Back when it was a working dairy farm, they'd let you into the barn to pet the cows and see the newborn calves. I still remember the day my dad said I was old enough to get one of their massive banana splits. I hit a wall about halfway through, but I wasn't going to let him down, so I just kept shoveling it in. I'm also going to miss their frozen pudding ice cream that they only made for the holidays. It was decadent.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
There's a little family owned ice cream shop a few miles from where I grew up that we went to often. It's still in business and it still looks like it did when we lived there in the 80s and I love it.

My brother went out of his way on the way back from my aunt's funeral in November to stop there.

Screenshot_20230709_171543_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230709_171512_Chrome.jpg

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Spent today helping son # 2 and his GF move into their new apartment in Quincy. Elevation at Crown Colony. Nice. Pool, gym, the works.

Now for the bad news . Her 65“ old vizio cracked in the uhaul.

Now for the greatest f***ing news ever!
The Bride turns to me and says “you want one of them fancy oled tv things dontcha?“

I just stared.

“ Give Matt and Lexi our 65“ Sony xbr and go get yourself a new one. The fancy kind. Your very first social security check comes next week and will be something to remember it by”.

Matt turned to me and said “ Dad, please say yes and dont screw this up”.

Im going tomorrow to check these two out ( Im a Sony guy)..

:D

I was between the a95k which is supposedly the top of the line OLED atm and the Samsung S95B.

I couldn't tell a difference between the two in a showroom but I do know the a95k supports Dolby vision and the S95B does not.

But for a secondary basement tv I didn't see a big enough reason to spend an extra $1k so I went with the Samsung. They both supposedly use the same QD-OLED panel.

I did like the sony UI better. I believe it uses the GoogleTV interface if I am remembering right.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I was between the a95k which is supposedly the top of the line OLED atm and the Samsung S95B.

I couldn't tell a difference between the two in a showroom but I do know the a95k supports Dolby vision and the S95B does not.

But for a secondary basement tv I didn't see a big enough reason to spend an extra $1k so I went with the Samsung. They both supposedly use the same QD-OLED panel.

I did like the sony UI better. I believe it uses the GoogleTV interface if I am remembering right.

hows hockey look?

Reactions: sooshii

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
hows hockey look?

I unfortunately got my S95B after the season was over.

But the TV I used for last season was an LG C2 OLED and it looked fantastic. Can only imagine it will look better on the Samsung/Sony.

There's supposedly settings that improve fast motion content like sports. Some people like it and some people turn it off.

I'll have to play around with them when the new season starts.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I unfortunately got my S95B after the season was over.

But the TV I used for last season was an LG C2 OLED and it looked fantastic. Can only imagine it will look better on the Samsung/Sony.

There's supposedly settings that improve fast motion content like sports. Some people like it and some people turn it off.

I'll have to play around with them when the new season starts.
The new Samsung 96" can supposedly turn anything into 4k, I bit on an ad the other day and was reading about it

Correction:

"The 98-inch Samsung QLED 4K TV has Direct Full Array and Quantum HDR+ tech built into the display panel, which will improve the overall color and picture quality of the “ultra-large” TV. Samsung’s Neural Quantum Processor will upscale any content you play on the TV, ensuring everything you view on it is at 4K resolution, be it an HD movie or even a video game."

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
One of mom's tomato plants took out some of my Zinnia's. Hoping that after drying out over night the flowers will bounce back but it is going to take a lot of ties to get the tomato plant back up to even see if it broke. The bed is in the middle of 2 others and got the brunt of the wind/rain and hail. The zinnia's on the fence have perked up from being water logged.

We got lucky that power stayed on and there was no damage. Just down the road had light poles taken out and even more water.

When they say turn around, don't drown they mean it. OKC Fire had to do at least 3 emergency rescues b/c people failed to do this.

More storms and rain are expected tomorrow night into Tuesday so hopefully they will stay north and south of us.

Reactions: BMC and caz16

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The new Samsung 96" can supposedly turn anything into 4k, I bit on an ad the other day and was reading about it

Correction:

That's a pretty cool feature.

Speaking of 4k one of my friends is a big nerd for watching movies/tv shows in the best quality possible and showed me the difference between watching a 4k blu ray through a "high end" blu ray player vs watching it through a streaming service and I was surprised at the difference in quality.

Even though the Netflix/HBO stream is rated at 4k, HDR, Dolby vision, etc. it just looked so much better playing off a disk.

I don't see myself buying a $500 blu ray player and then the cost of the movies themselves on top just for that better quality but I was surprised at the difference.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
That's a pretty cool feature.

Speaking of 4k one of my friends is a big nerd for watching movies/tv shows in the best quality possible and showed me the difference between watching a 4k blu ray through a "high end" blu ray player vs watching it through a streaming service and I was surprised at the difference in quality.

Even though the Netflix/HBO stream is rated at 4k, HDR, Dolby vision, etc. it just looked so much better playing off a disk.

I don't see myself buying a $500 blu ray player and then the cost of the movies themselves on top just for that better quality but I was surprised at the difference.
Wish my tv/game room could fit the 90+ ones but have to stick to my 65"Q series Samsung for now, woe is me. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
One of mom's tomato plants took out some of my Zinnia's. Hoping that after drying out over night the flowers will bounce back but it is going to take a lot of ties to get the tomato plant back up to even see if it broke. The bed is in the middle of 2 others and got the brunt of the wind/rain and hail. The zinnia's on the fence have perked up from being water logged.

We got lucky that power stayed on and there was no damage. Just down the road had light poles taken out and even more water.

When they say turn around, don't drown they mean it. OKC Fire had to do at least 3 emergency rescues b/c people failed to do this.

More storms and rain are expected tomorrow night into Tuesday so hopefully they will stay north and south of us.
So scary, I just watched a documentary on Netflix about tornadoes. My brother lives about 3 hours away from us and they got hit by a cell (no tornado) and my SIL was terrified. They got golf ball sized hail which destroyed her beautiful gardens, the winds were so high and she hid in the bathroom, got about 3" of rain in 15 minutes. Just crazy how these storms can hit so hard but barely touch other areas. Do you have a storm cellar (or whatever you call them)?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I have never heard rain beat down hard on windows like I did early this morning. We’ve had over 6 inches of rain in the last few days.

This is the little creek behind the house. No one is in danger of water but now snake watch is on.
Never mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad