OT - NO POLITICS Lazy, Hazy Days of Summah

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
So scary, I just watched a documentary on Netflix about tornadoes. My brother lives about 3 hours away from us and they got hit by a cell (no tornado) and my SIL was terrified. They got golf ball sized hail which destroyed her beautiful gardens, the winds were so high and she hid in the bathroom, got about 3" of rain in 15 minutes. Just crazy how these storms can hit so hard but barely touch other areas. Do you have a storm cellar (or whatever you call them)?
I was like your SIL Sunday morning when I couldn't get the local weather station we watch. The only one I could get is known for being sensationalist. Didn't hide in the bathroom tho. The tomato plant definitely squashed my flowers but if we can get it off of them they should be ok. The ones on the fence look like nothing happened.

The fam has storm shelters. Mom has an above ground that is essentially a bank vault that is bolted into the concrete in the garage. It is rated for EF5 (the highest on the Enhanced Fujita Scale). My sister and bro in law next door have one below the garage floor. My aunt and uncle are putting in one below their garage floor.

Knock on wood but I haven't experienced any tornado warning that we've had to go in but they have a few times. We get many days of warnings. We have another round of storms overnight tonight that we've known about for 4 days now. After the Moore tornado 10 years ago, people take tornadoes much more serious but there is still a bit of complacency.

Tornado season is in May here usually but you have to be prepared year round.

Twisters 2 is around the metro filming which is cool. It is due out next summer.

Reactions: caz16 and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have seen him around for years - Everybody knew he did it but could never prove it

Home | News

Suspect in Tylenol killings and other crimes found dead at 76 in his East Cambridge condo​

By Marc Levy
Monday, July 10, 2023
071023i-Nicholson-James-Lewis.jpg

James Lewis holds up a bumper sticker on Dec. 1, 2021, in East Cambridge

CHICAGO (WLS) -- The I-Team confirmed late Sunday that James Lewis, the only person ever convicted in connection with the Tylenol killings, has been found dead.

Lewis, 76, was found in his Cambridge, Massachusetts home near Boston, according to investigators who have been attempting to finally solve the case for decades.

He was convicted of attempting to extort $1 million from Tylenol maker Johnson and Johnson in 1982, and was sentenced to federal prison.

In a jailhouse interview, he once explained to the I-Team an intricate scheme that the killer would have used to fill Tylenol capsules with deadly cyanide using a drilled pegboard, but always denied he was the one who actually did it.

Most investigators never believed him and considered Lewis the one and only suspect in the seven Chicago-area Tylenol murders, but he was never charged with the actual killings.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: caz16 and BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I grew up in Littleton Mass.

We went to Kimballs for ice cream. It is in Westford . It opened in 1939 and my Mom remembered it back then.

The windows that you went up to where you got the ice cream were part of the house and the barn (which is now where the windows are and a gift shop) housed the cows.

It has several locations now and is huge.

I liked it better years ago when I rode my horse to get an ice cream for me and her.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I'm all for prison justice honestly. No protective segregation for any of these guys, stick them in general population and let whatever happens happen.

lol no. There's already a justice system in place that doles out punishment when needed. Could the system be improved upon? Sure.

But advocating for "prison justice" is bananland.

Reactions: LSCII

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
lol no. There's already a justice system in place that doles out punishment when needed. Could the system be improved upon? Sure.

But advocating for "prison justice" is bananland.

Yeah and it doesnt replace or usurp the actual justice system.

The justice system sentences them to prison. Whatever happens to them in prison after that is what it is. Sorry, I'm not about to shed any tears for anyone who preys on children.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Yeah and it doesnt replace or usurp the actual justice system.

The justice system sentences them to prison. Whatever happens to them in prison after that is what it is. Sorry, I'm not about to shed any tears for anyone who preys on children.

Prison isn't meant to be a free for all where people get placed in it, have the key thrown away and whatever happens happens.

We shouldn't be allowing other prisoners who are usually there because they made some morally terrible choices of their own to hand out additional punishment.

Nobodies asking for tears to be shed for what happened to him either.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Prison isn't meant to be a free for all where people get placed in it, have the key thrown away and whatever happens happens.

We shouldn't be allowing other prisoners who are usually there because they made some morally terrible choices of their own to hand out additional punishment.

Nobodies asking for tears to be shed for what happened to him either.
Exactly. The survivors of this monster are asking for people to not celebrate what happened to him as it is incredibly painful for them.
I was under the impression he was not going to be placed in general pop so this news was pretty surprising to me. Once recovered he really needs to be in solitary.

As a taxpayer I want an investigation into how this happened. Like you said we shouldn’t be allowing other prisoners to hand out additional punishment.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I unfortunately got my S95B after the season was over.

But the TV I used for last season was an LG C2 OLED and it looked fantastic. Can only imagine it will look better on the Samsung/Sony.

There's supposedly settings that improve fast motion content like sports. Some people like it and some people turn it off.

I'll have to play around with them when the new season starts.

how is the audio sound fromthe Samsung? Not looking for great but ok?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
how is the audio sound fromthe Samsung? Not looking for great but ok?

Yea it's definitely good enough.

I think at some point I'll invest in a soundbar but at the moment it doesnt seem to be a necessity.

I have a dehumidifier running about 15-20 feet away most of the time and I can still hear the tv clearly over it.

I also watch almost everything with subtitles nowadays anyway because it seems like audio mixing has went to **** over the last decade or so.

Tenet was the most egregious but there are some things I watch where it seems like people are mumbling half the time. And it's the same across watching from my TV, my laptop, my other LG brand tv, phone etc so it's not just one device having bad speakers.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Anything worth getting for Prime Day?

I looked at a preview of deals and didn't see much I need. I will pick up new wireless earbuds because the ones I have now are 5 years old and each side plays at different volumes and the left one doesn't charge anymore..

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Yea it's definitely good enough.

I think at some point I'll invest in a soundbar but at the moment it doesnt seem to be a necessity.

I have a dehumidifier running about 15-20 feet away most of the time and I can still hear the tv clearly over it.

I also watch almost everything with subtitles nowadays anyway because it seems like audio mixing has went to **** over the last decade or so.

Tenet was the most egregious but there are some things I watch where it seems like people are mumbling half the time. And it's the same across watching from my TV, my laptop, my other LG brand tv, phone etc so it's not just one device having bad speakers.

just got back. Both the Samsung S95B and Sony A95K were incredible for me. Mind blowing Picture. Almost 3D. These old eyes couldnt see any true difference . The guy said yep because they use exact same panels. ( which I already researched) Sony just a hair brighter maybe.

The sound was different though to me. The Sony sounded better without sound bar on for each to compare.

So, went with the Sony A95K. Gets delivered Friday.
Best Buy also gave me a future $300 store credit for any future purchases. Will come in handy for Xmas.
So now son#2 can get my old 65” XBR and soundbar.

Everyone wins!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
just got back. Both the Samsung S95B and Sony A95K were incredible for me. Mind blowing Picture. Almost 3D. These old eyes couldnt see any true difference . The guy said yep because they use exact same panels. ( which I already researched) Sony just a hair brighter maybe.

The sound was different though to me. The Sony sounded better without sound bar on for each to compare.

Best Buy also gave me a future $300 store credit for any future purchases. Will come in handy for Xmas.

Everyone wins!
charlie-brown-snoopy.gif

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Everyone wins!

I usually use this site when researching new TVs.

Above link has some baseline settings to start with and then tweak to your liking.

Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad