OT - NO POLITICS Lazy, Hazy Days of Summah

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Screenshot_20230711_221559_Gallery.jpg

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Looks like a garden spider but they are usually black and yellow....put him/her outside to eat lots of bugs!!!!

Update... there is a brown garden spider...not poisonous and good about eating bugs...
Maybe? I'm worried it was a recluse since up close it looks kinda like the classic violin pattern.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I remember when we moved into our house in central CA, after we moved from AZ (see above!), we got some stations from San Francisco, and some from Sacramento. That house had a motorized antenna, which you could rotate to pick up the channels from one direction or the other. I thought we were living like kings!

I've never heard of a motorized antenna before. Movable satellite dishes sure, but not antennas. Very fancy!

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
You can go to spiderID.com, upload the picture and get some help. And if you have an Android phone, Google Lens is often a good tool for identification of a lot of things.

At first glance it looks like a Nursery Web Spider. Wikipedia had a fun fact about nursery web spiders:
The female spider sometimes attempts to eat the male after mating. The male, to reduce the risk of this, often presents the female with a gift such as a fly when approaching in the hope that this will satisfy her hunger. Sometimes, this gift is a fake present intended to fool the female.[4] Males may wrap the fake gift in silk, to deceive the female to mate. Females can detect the fake gift and terminate mating, negating the male's deception in not giving a real gift.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
You can go to spiderID.com, upload the picture and get some help. And if you have an Android phone, Google Lens is often a good tool for identification of a lot of things.

At first glance it looks like a Nursery Web Spider. Wikipedia had a fun fact about nursery web spiders:
The female spider sometimes attempts to eat the male after mating. The male, to reduce the risk of this, often presents the female with a gift such as a fly when approaching in the hope that this will satisfy her hunger. Sometimes, this gift is a fake present intended to fool the female.[4] Males may wrap the fake gift in silk, to deceive the female to mate. Females can detect the fake gift and terminate mating, negating the male's deception in not giving a real gift.
Interesting! Weird part was (this is an easier story to tell in person lol) I noticed a web with a small dark black spider chilling in the middle of it and there was 3 egg sacs around it so I exterminated that and I was about to walk away and out came that giant spider as seen above... and it was like it came after me after I killed homeboy. And it just sat there with its front legs perched at me.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Some y'all might be familiar with my little macro friend here.
harmless jumping spider was nice enough to pause for a split second.

Attachments

• spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Love
Reactions: Glove Malfunction

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We had an A&W drive-in in the tiny town of Holbrook, AZ where I was born. I can remember going there before we move from there in 1978. I even have a baby root beer mug we got while we still lived there. Apparently there's still one in town, though it looks like it has moved. According to their website, there are still A&W's in 37 states. I would have been less surprised to hear they had gone out of (the restaurant) business decades ago.
View attachment 728118
We went to one a few years ago when we were visiting my brother in law and family. I can't recall if it was when he was stationed in Maryland or Cape May though. I do recall it was basically on par with Dairy Queen in terms of quality of food. So mid tier for a fast food joint.
Brown recluse? Yikes. Time to move...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad