Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Hutson played two dominant games against a full Detroit squad fighting for their playoff lives.

Poehling had a couple lucky goals against a AHL version of a Toronto roster who had nothing to play for.

People were hoping for something from Poehling based on a couple games in a WJC. Hutson has been the best defenseman in college hockey two years in a row.

They aren't the same type of prospect at all and trying to reduce what Hutson did because Poehling had one exciting game is classic Habs fans not believing we can have anything good.
Well I liked Poehling because of his NCAA career and WJC tournament. The NHL game meant nothing to me. He did pretty well in the NCAA rarely playing with good linemates. In his last season i believe he mostly was on a line with his brothers who were not that good.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well I liked Poehling because of his NCAA career and WJC tournament. The NHL game meant nothing to me. He did pretty well in the NCAA rarely playing with good linemates. In his last season i believe he mostly was on a line with his brothers who were not that good.

He showed pretty clearly that at best he was going to be a 3C and he ended up being a rotational 4th liner. Pretty median outcome for a guy like that. The one game gave people hope there was top 6 offense in there but there never really was, none of his offensive tools were all that good.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
He showed pretty clearly that at best he was going to be a 3C and he ended up being a rotational 4th liner. Pretty median outcome for a guy like that. The one game gave people hope there was top 6 offense in there but there never really was, none of his offensive tools were all that good.
Maybe some fans got over the top hype from that game, but I think plenty of more rational fans saw it for what it was even at that very moment: an awesome game and a great moment for the kid.

What he could become, I hoped he would become a regular sooner and with us. It is a little bit disappointing to see what Norris has become while he looked worse than Poehling at various points in time while Poehling couldn't achieve anywhere close to that level of success.

Aside from over the top fans, which we will always have in healthy numbers, I don't think everyone was going insane with Poehling.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think there was potential to be a low end 2nd liner but by the end of his 1st season it was looking more and more unlikely.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Maybe some fans got over the top hype from that game, but I think plenty of more rational fans saw it for what it was even at that very moment: an awesome game and a great moment for the kid.

What he could become, I hoped he would become a regular sooner and with us. It is a little bit disappointing to see what Norris has become while he looked worse than Poehling at various points in time while Poehling couldn't achieve anywhere close to that level of success.

Aside from over the top fans, which we will always have in healthy numbers, I don't think everyone was going insane with Poehling.

Well, he got voted over Suzuki in our prospect pool polls, so there was some insane hype on him for a time.

I think there was potential to be a low end 2nd liner but by the end of his 1st season it was looking more and more unlikely.

We all know how I felt about Poehling at the draft - I know some people felt that way. I wish MB would have moved him in that ROR proposal in hindsight.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Well, he got voted over Suzuki in our prospect pool polls, so there was some insane hype on him for a time.

We all know how I felt about Poehling at the draft - I know some people felt that way. I wish MB would have moved him in that ROR proposal in hindsight.
Suzuki was not expected to be all that good at that time either. Probably should have been ahead of Poehling but not significantly.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Suzuki was not expected to be all that good at that time either. Probably should have been ahead of Poehling but not significantly.

13th overall pick who was legitimately torching the OHL - yeah he should have been an easy win over Poehling. He just had a tepid WJC while Poehling had a couple big games. Unless its Mesar, this board has a tendency to put way more value in the WJCs than league play and larger sample sizes.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Considering Subban was never good defensively I still think Hutson will have a better career.
Subban had the size and physicality that Hutson will never possess. At the start of his NHL career, Subban was a physical, intimidating force who could control opponents along the boards or box them out in front of the net. He rarely lost puck battles and could deliver devastating open ice hits. Who could forget Subban nearly separating Marchand from his soul:

Regrettably, Subban made the decision to bulk up his body which robbed him of his quickness, end to end speed and offensive effectiveness. His legacy would have been much more impactful but for that decision. Probably would still be playing today.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Subban had the size and physicality that Hudson will never possess. At the start of his NHL career, Subban was a physical, intimidating force who could control opponents along the boards or box them out in front of the net. He rarely lost puck battles and could deliver devastating open ice hits. Who could forget Subban nearly separating Marchand from his soul:

Regrettably Subban made the decision to bulk up his body which robbed him of his quickness, end to end speed and offensive effectiveness. His legacy would have been much more impactful but for that decision. Probably would still be playing today.

One of the best hardest hits ever.
And made even better since the guy getting hit thought he was untouchable.

As for Hutson, Chester do you think he is the real deal, or is the hype a little too much?? Could the kid become our Quinn Hughes?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That's an awful take.
Hutson made the right decisions in that overtime play. First of all, Hutson almost scored the game-winner. Secondly, the shot created a rebound, which got to player #41 from Detroit. Hutson had the choice between poke-checking #41, or turning back toward the dzone. He decided to go for the poke-check, which was the smarter decision considering he was already near the puck, and #41 wasn't even looking at him. Player #41 fell and lost possession of the puck by himself, and Raymond retrieved the loose puck. That was just an unlucky sequence for Hutson. If player #41 had possession of the puck properly, Hutson likely does a successful poke-check, and the habs regain possession of the puck. Thirdly, Raymond passes the puck and races to create a 2 on 1, and despite Raymond being one of the best skaters in the NHL, Hutson almost catches up to him.

It's a problem when any defenseman gets caught OUT OF POSITION.
He made a bad decision after making a good play initially.
I take Matheson to task when he does the same thing.

You sure have found a handful of good excuses for him though. :laugh:
Hutson's shit will stink on occasion get used to it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Subban had the size and physicality that Hudson will never possess. At the start of his NHL career, Subban was a physical, intimidating force who could control opponents along the boards or box them out in front of the net. He rarely lost puck battles and could deliver devastating open ice hits. Who could forget Subban nearly separating Marchand from his soul:

Regrettably, Subban made the decision to bulk up his body which robbed him of his quickness, end to end speed and offensive effectiveness. His legacy would have been much more impactful but for that decision. Probably would still be playing today.

He overdid it on the bulking. He was a pretty solid defensive blueliner and doesn’t great credit for it.

When he made a mistake it was often spectacular. :laugh: And a lot of his mistakes came from showboating which only made it worse.

But he could clear the crease well and most of the time was was really solid in his own end. His best skill though was transitioning from defense to offense. Highly underrated skill.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
One of the best hardest hits ever.
And made even better since the guy getting hit thought he was untouchable.

As for Hutson, Chester do you think he is the real deal, or is the hype a little too much?? Could the kid become our Quinn Hughes?
The real deal? You're asking the million dollar question.

Other than their roughly similar size and their resulting limitations in physical play, Hutson and Hughes are not the same. Hughes is an elite, fluid skater who we foolishly passed on to select Kotkaniemi in the 2018 draft. Hutson is an awkward skater who relies on feints and elusiveness to create time and space for him to make those high end offensive plays which he has become noted for.

His limitations in skating made me somewhat skeptical as to whether Hutson’s style of play would translate well at the NHL level. I am however, somewhat encouraged by what Hutson was able to do in his short stint with the Canadiens at the end of last season. Neither Hughes nor Hutson will ever be defensive stalwarts. Hutson will never have the ability to control play with his skating the way Hughes currently does. But Hutson has an elite level of offensive skills and vision that will allow him to be an important contributor on Montreal's power play and in overtime (3 on 3 situations) in the future.

No, Hutson will never become our Hughes. He will become our Hutson. Which should be more than good enough.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
No, Hutson will never become our Hughes. He will become our Hutson. Which should be more than good enough.

Hutson will become Hutson, but I believe that he can produce like Hughes for Habs.

He have the talent to put really high production. 50-60a, even more is a realistic projection. Hutson can score a lot of goals aswell.

Reactions: Andrei79

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Hutson will become Hutson, but I believe that he can produce like Hughes for Habs.

He have the talent to put really high production. 50-60a, even more is a realistic projection. Hutson can score a lot of goals aswell.
I suspect in 4 to 5 years fans of other teams will be asking and hoping that their undersized defensive prospect may become their team's Hutson.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's a problem when any defenseman gets caught OUT OF POSITION.
He made a bad decision after making a good play initially.
I take Matheson to task when he does the same thing.

You sure have found a handful of good excuses for him though. :laugh:
Hutson's shit will stink on occasion get used to it.

You should prepare yourself for disappointment if you expect offensive dmen to not take risks, especially at 3 on 3.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Hutson played two dominant games against a full Detroit squad fighting for their playoff lives.

Poehling had a couple lucky goals against a AHL version of a Toronto roster who had nothing to play for.

People were hoping for something from Poehling based on a couple games in a WJC. Hutson has been the best defenseman in college hockey two years in a row.

They aren't the same type of prospect at all and trying to reduce what Hutson did because Poehling had one exciting game is classic Habs fans not believing we can have anything good.
You're being just as silly as that article with the baseless accusation and histrionics about "belief". It's not faith-based, you know.

No one is trying to "reduce what Hutson did" by simply pointing out that it's premature to read too much into a microscopic NHL sample. It would be just as premature to go into an in-depth analysis of his performance if he had struggled.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

Marchand never had a soul but Subban made him wish he did!

• Haha

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You're being just as silly as that article with the baseless accusation and histrionics about "belief". It's not faith-based, you know.

No one is trying to "reduce what Hutson did" by simply pointing out that it's premature to read too much into a microscopic NHL sample. It would be just as premature to go into an in-depth analysis of his performance if he had struggled.

You can easily say it's a small sample size and that would be a fair point. That point doesn't hold up so well when you use Poehling as the anchor for that point.

They aren't remotely comparable so it's an irrelevant way to try to argue that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You should prepare yourself for disappointment if you expect offensive dmen to not take risks, especially at 3 on 3.
Okay then.
Like I said I called out Matheson for the same type of shit.
If that was Barron there would have been a State of Siege on the GDT.
Move the puck on the net fine hope that your team mate finds the rebound fine.
However that play is going to result in a turnover 8 out of 10 times which means he has to take a defensive posture as soon as he lets go of the puck.
Particularly since he has a muffin of a shot and that was not a clear cut 2v1 scoring opportunity.
If he does it again I'll call him out on it again and I can already see Marty's burying his head in his hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad