Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not expecting the same treatment from Utah if we find ourselves in that same position. :laugh:

We should hopefully not find ourselves in that position again this year.. pick late top ten or just outside of it, we can still get a good piece like Spence to add to our team but take that step forward.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We should hopefully not find ourselves in that position again this year.. pick late top ten or just outside of it, we can still get a good piece like Spence to add to our team but take that step forward.
We also have a ton of picks/prospects to trade with. We might be able to move up or alternatively, trade for good prospects. More Kirby Dach type moves.

I'd still really like to have a big power winger to add him in the top six. That would move Roy and Newhook to Beck on the third and we'd have what I think could have the potential to be one of the best third lines in the league. At that point we'd be a pretty formidable club.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Savard’s role as calming / stay at home vet presence will be key to Hutson’s transition into NHL in his rookie season
Let’s agree to disagree, I think Lane having to cover for a slow footed, aging dman only makes his transition to the NHL more challenging, not less.

Reactions: SOLR

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We also have a ton of picks/prospects to trade with. We might be able to move up or alternatively, trade for good prospects. More Kirby Dach type moves.

I'd still really like to have a big power winger to add him in the top six. That would move Roy and Newhook to Beck on the third and we'd have what I think could have the potential to be one of the best third lines in the league. At that point we'd be a pretty formidable club.

Spence or McQueen

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Let’s agree to disagree, I think Lane having to cover for a slow footed, aging dman only makes his transition to the NHL more challenging, not less.
So who do we put there? Barron? Guhle?

We're in that transition phase where everyone is either coming up or has little experience. We only have two natural RDs in the lineup this season (and that's assuming Barron is getting regular shifts.) Savard isn't the ideal partner but he's at least steady and a natural on the position. I don't see them swapping out Guhle to go there although that might be another way to do it.

Sidenote: I hope that this is the last season we see Guhle on the right side.

Reactions: HabsQC and bsl

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So who do we put there? Barron? Guhle?

We're in that transition phase where everyone is either coming up or has little experience. We only have two natural RDs in the lineup this season (and that's assuming Barron is getting regular shifts.) Savard isn't the ideal partner but he's at least steady and a natural on the position. I don't see them swapping out Guhle to go there although that might be another way to do it.

Sidenote: I hope that this is the last season we see Guhle on the right side.
IF Hutson is indeed starting the year in the NHL
Then Savard 'will' be the partner

Only reason Guhle is playing RD is because Mailloux/Reinbacher aren't ready yet and because Matheson is de-facto LD1 still and kind of 'in the way' (which is the main reason a lot of us want to trade him at all) and Savard is not an RD1 at this juncture of his career

But the plan is not to keep Guhle as an RD permanently

I'm still not 100% convinced Hutson starts the season in the NHL, but not because he's not ready or anything but again just because of the luxury of all this D still right now
I'm on record that I want Hutson-Reinbacher to be our Top AHL D pair and see what they got for 30-40 games

I think we start the year
Matheson - Guhle
Harris/Struble/Xhekaj - Savard
Harris/Struble/Xhekaj - Barron
7th D : One of Harris/Struble/Xhekaj on any given night

Depending on injuries to whichever LD or RD, Hutson or Mailloux gets called up
(Keeping Reinbacher In AHL for the brunt, which I think will be instrumental for his development)

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
IF Hutson is indeed starting the year in the NHL
Then Savard 'will' be the partner

Only reason Guhle is playing RD is because Mailloux/Reinbacher aren't ready yet and because Matheson is de-facto LD1 still and kind of 'in the way' (which is the main reason a lot of us want to trade him at all) and Savard is not an RD1 at this juncture of his career

But the plan is not to keep Guhle as an RD permanently

I'm still not 100% convinced Hutson starts the season in the NHL, but not because he's not ready or anything but again just because of the luxury of all this D still right now
I'm on record that I want Hutson-Reinbacher to be our Top AHL D pair and see what they got for 30-40 games

I think we start the year
Matheson - Guhle
Harris/Struble/Xhekaj - Savard
Harris/Struble/Xhekaj - Barron
7th D : One of Harris/Struble/Xhekaj on any given night

Depending on injuries to whichever LD or RD, Hutson or Mailloux gets called up
(Keeping Reinbacher In AHL for the brunt, which I think will be instrumental for his development)
Assuming Hutson plays from game one onward, I don’t see how Savard isn’t the guy. We have nobody else right now.

Now, maybe they put him in the AHL to start. That’s possible but I think he’s shown that he’s just too good to go there. We’ll see.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Assuming Hutson plays from game one onward, I don’t see how Savard isn’t the guy. We have nobody else right now.

Now, maybe they put him in the AHL to start. That’s possible but I think he’s shown that he’s just too good to go there. We’ll see.
I think he starts in Montreal under the close eye of management similar to how they developed Slafkovsky.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Savard has lost a step or two. But he's not the type of defenseman that will allow himself to be out of position. He will stay back and allow Hutson to do his thing.

Hutson probably has more offensive talent in his pinky finger, than Savard has ever had in his entire body. In saying that, he brings a lot of experience both on and off the ice. Personally, until Savard's traded. I'd love to see Hutson with Savard, if Hutson makes the opening night roster.

Out of curiosity, who would be your first choice to play with Hutson?

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
He showed pretty clearly that at best he was going to be a 3C and he ended up being a rotational 4th liner. Pretty median outcome for a guy like that. The one game gave people hope there was top 6 offense in there but there never really was, none of his offensive tools were all that good.
I remember when he was drafted he was sen as a safe/high floor player for the third line and low ceiling that 2nd line absolute best. If I recall ceiling was mikko Koivu lite

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Savard has lost a step or two. But he's not the type of defenseman that will allow himself to be out of position. He will stay back and allow Hutson to do his thing.

Hutson probably has more offensive talent in his pinky finger, than Savard has ever had in his entire body. In saying that, he brings a lot of experience both on and off the ice. Personally, until Savard's traded. I'd love to see Hutson with Savard, if Hutson makes the opening night roster.

Out of curiosity, who would be your first choice to play with Hutson?

A 25 years old Reinbacher probably.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think he starts in Montreal under the close eye of management similar to how they developed Slafkovsky.
I still think it could go either way.
My main concern is I just don't see both Matheson and Hutson as being our top 4 LD I think it would be a disaster.
I also don't see us annointing Hutson as a our go to offensive catalyst out of the gate.
So are we better off playing Hutson sheltered 3rd pairing minutes and PP2 time in the NHL or top line minutes and PP1 in Laval?

Matheson is the odd man out if Hutson becomes what everyone thinks he can be.
The problem is I don't think we are ready to move him just yet.
I guess what I'm feeling is I don't see the vaunted "balance" Hughes talks of with both Hutson and Matheson in the line up.
I'd also like to see just how well Hutson can QB a PP with top line players in the pro leagues.

Start the camp already... :help:

Reactions: bsl and SwiftyHab

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My main concern is I just don't see both Matheson and Hutson as being our top 4 LD I think it would be a disaster.
I also don't see us annointing Hutson as a our go to offensive catalyst out of the gate.
So are we better off playing Hutson sheltered 3rd pairing minutes and PP2 time in the NHL or top line minutes and PP1 in Laval?

I guess what I'm feeling is I don't see the vaunted "balance" Hughes talks of with both Hutson and Matheson in the line up.
I'd also like to see just how well Hutson can QB a PP with top line players in the pro leagues.

I do think they respect Matheson's defensive ability more and there's a possibility that he might become a safer defenseman when he isn't the only one charged with creating offense from the back-end.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

keep the puck in the offensive zone. That’s the best defense. I would have no problem with a dcorp of Hutson/Reinbacher, Guhle/Mailloux and matheson/jackeye/harris/barron in whatever combos make the most sense. It’s not a traditional defense to be sure, but I think it has potential to be completely overwhelming for opposing teams to have these young, offensive minded d’s pushing the puck up Ice all night long. I actually think it’s a winning combination. They just need a bit more experience.

Reactions: bsl and BLONG7

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
keep the puck in the offensive zone. That’s the best defense. I would have no problem with a dcorp of Hutson/Reinbacher, Guhle/Mailloux and matheson/jackeye/harris/barron in whatever combos make the most sense. It’s not a traditional defense to be sure, but I think it has potential to be completely overwhelming for opposing teams to have these young, offensive minded d’s pushing the puck up Ice all night long. I actually think it’s a winning combination. They just need a bit more experience.
During the season sure it will be fun to watch, but you won’t win during the playoffs with that

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I do think they respect Matheson's defensive ability more and there's a possibility that he might become a safer defenseman when he isn't the only one charged with creating offense from the back-end.

This is my thinking as well.

I can't wait to see Hutson and Matheson as a 1 - 2 punch, coming in waves. And in late games where we need a goal, they should be good together.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1724678199172.png

There ya go - the photo was never photoshopped, you can see with not sitting flat on a chair and not in that type of lighting, his muscles were accentuated but not photoshopped. You can see exactly how the lighting and sitting would have made his quads look bigger than they are, but still a decent size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad