Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Considering Subban was never good defensively I still think Hutson will have a better career.

Subban had tremendous edgework and was fine defensively for a while.

If hutson ends up having a subban level of impact, we should be delighted.

I'm not quite clear on why anyone cares wether it's been altered or not... The cup isn't awarded for a body building contest last I checked.

This is why Brett Hull claims he didn't make it in Calgary. They got all caught up in fitness and being cutting edge in conditioning that they were overlooking the hockey part.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Honestly I would not be surprise that down the road, Hutson will be better DEFENSIVELY than.......Mallloux

Mailloux's coverage is awful. He has his head in the clouds often.

Also when there is a turnover in the neutral zone....he is flat foot on the blue line.

He has way more strength than Hutson obviously but it is the only thing that he is better than Hutson defensively

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Honestly I would not be surprise that down the road, Hutson will be better DEFENSIVELY than.......Mallloux

Mailloux's coverage is awful. He has his head in the clouds often.

Also when there is a turnover in the neutral zone....he is flat foot on the blue line.

He has way more strength than Hutson obviously but it is the only thing that he is better than Hutson defensively
I will agree that Mailloux's defensive game looked pretty brutal at times during his AHL rookie season. What I will also say is that his defensive game vastly improved from game 1 to game 72. He is a work in progress.

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
I will agree that Mailloux's defensive game looked pretty brutal at times during his AHL rookie season. What I will also say is that his defensive game vastly improved from game 1 to game 72. He is a work in progress.
I agree ahl did him well that's why I hope Mailloux, Hutson and reinbacher all start in laval they could all use time or more time to work on their game and if they dominate you can always call them up

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I agree ahl did him well that's why I hope Mailloux, Hutson and reinbacher all start in laval they could all use time or more time to work on their game and if they dominate you can always call them up
Considering how little hockey Logan Mailloux has played over the past 3-4 years I think another full season in Laval would be a good thing.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Or… it’s just the lighting and the angle.

I don’t know why people would jump to “shopped!” You can’t tell much about the size of his legs from that photo.

This. It's just because he's sitting that way. I suggest people just sit in front of a mirror and look at their legs. You'll suddenly think to yourself: "Hey, I've got bigger legs than I thought!"

Btw, you can do the same trick with your triceps (obviously not by sitting down).

Reactions: Redux91

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Ideally we do not want them all in laval this year and then graduate all at the same time in the NHL the following year and have 3 rookie in the lineup at the same time. Also if you have both Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL one of them will play less. Ideally we want one of Mailoux or Reinbacher in the NHL this year. If both are clearly not ready fine it is what it is but ideally in a perfect world we would have one of them in the NHL this year.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ideally we do not want them all in laval this year and then graduate all at the same time in the NHL the following year and have 3 rookie in the lineup at the same time. Also if you have both Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL one of them will play less. Ideally we want one of Mailoux or Reinbacher in the NHL this year. If both are clearly not ready fine it is what it is but ideally in a perfect world we would have one of them in the NHL this year.

They won't have trouble getting Reinbacher and Mailloux minutes - Reinbacher will be PK1 while Mailloux is PP1. Mailloux will get most of the offensive minutes while Reinbacher will get more defensive starts. It's really RD3 who will suffer but I don't think it will matter as it's likely an AHL lifer.

Reactions: Redux91

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Subban had tremendous edgework and was fine defensively for a while.

If hutson ends up having a subban level of impact, we should be delighted.

This is why Brett Hull claims he didn't make it in Calgary. They got all caught up in fitness and being cutting edge in conditioning that they were overlooking the hockey part.

Brett Hull only won when he decided to finally play a team game and do the things that Calgary originally expected from him. Throughout his prime years he was as lazy a back checker as you were going to find. This doesn't mean that he was not a great player because he obviously was but him and Ovie are similar in this sense as they both did not win until they played a more complete game. Ovie of course went right back to dogging it on the back check as soon as Trotz left.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Considering how little hockey Logan Mailloux has played over the past 3-4 years I think another full season in Laval would be a good thing.
Absolutely........................there is no reason to rush anyone anymore............those days are gone.
All of these kids have to earn those spots....just not get given one. Bergevin and Therrien are gone.

Reactions: Tyson

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Absolutely........................there is no reason to rush anyone anymore............those days are gone.
All of these kids have to earn those spots....just not get given one. Bergevin and Therrien are gone.
What is earning a spot though?

Do we revert back to the Houle era where a kid without nhl experience had to be significantly better than a 10 years vet to have a chance? Or earning a spot is simply being ready for the NHL and showing sign of growth from month to month (while having the potential to be a NHL regular)?

Cause if you expect a kid without experience to be better than vets day 1 then you'll simply never graduate anyone and you'll eventually lose players like Beauchemin and Craig Conroy without testing them.

Good players more often than not needs about 100ish AHL games max to be ready.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I have no issue if he start in the AHL if it to but more time to make a more and to lose anyone on waivers. That being said if he clearly beat out the rest, that move will have to come quickly…

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What is earning a spot though?

Do we revert back to the Houle era where a kid without nhl experience had to be significantly better than a 10 years vet to have a chance? Or earning a spot is simply being ready for the NHL and showing sign of growth from month to month?

Cause if you expect a kid without experience to be better than vets day 1 then you'll simply never graduate anyone and you'll eventually lose players like Beauchemin and Craig Conroy without testing them.

Good players more often than not needs about 100ish AHL games max to be ready.
Earning a spot............is on MSL and HuGo to decide as to who and when. I always say, trust the process.
There is NO reason to rush anyone. A season in the AHl? Half season? Who knows, but wehave to trust the process.

Reactions: PhysicX

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Brett Hull only won when he decided to finally play a team game and do the things that Calgary originally expected from him. Throughout his prime years he was as lazy a back checker as you were going to find. This doesn't mean that he was not a great player because he obviously was but him and Ovie are similar in this sense as they both did not win until they played a more complete game. Ovie of course went right back to dogging it on the back check as soon as Trotz left.

Well, yeah. There's a reason why Sutter never called his number in empty net situations or shorthanded situations.... but 86 goals is 86 goals.

He got left behind the 91 US team for similar reasons.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I wonder if he watched Detroit's game winning goal in Lane's debut.
The lad got caught deep in the Ozone and it cost us the game.
There is plenty of room for improvement.

That's an awful take.
Hutson made the right decisions in that overtime play. First of all, Hutson almost scored the game-winner. Secondly, the shot created a rebound, which got to player #41 from Detroit. Hutson had the choice between poke-checking #41, or turning back toward the dzone. He decided to go for the poke-check, which was the smarter decision considering he was already near the puck, and #41 wasn't even looking at him. Player #41 fell and lost possession of the puck by himself, and Raymond retrieved the loose puck. That was just an unlucky sequence for Hutson. If player #41 had possession of the puck properly, Hutson likely does a successful poke-check, and the habs regain possession of the puck. Thirdly, Raymond passes the puck and races to create a 2 on 1, and despite Raymond being one of the best skaters in the NHL, Hutson almost catches up to him.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
That's an awful take.
Hutson made the right decisions in that overtime play. First of all, Hutson almost scored the game-winner. Secondly, the shot created a rebound, which got to player #41 from Detroit. Hutson had the choice between poke-checking #41, or turning back toward the dzone. He decided to go for the poke-check, which was the smarter decision considering he was already near the puck, and #41 wasn't even looking at him. Player #41 fell and lost possession of the puck by himself, and Raymond retrieved the loose puck. That was just an unlucky sequence for Hutson. If player #41 had possession of the puck properly, Hutson likely does a successful poke-check, and the habs regain possession of the puck. Thirdly, Raymond passes the puck and races to create a 2 on 1, and despite Raymond being one of the best skaters in the NHL, Hutson almost catches up to him.

If Hutson scored, we did not have Damidov, don't we ?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder what this guy's report on Ryan Poehling's first NHL game would have looked like.

Hutson played two dominant games against a full Detroit squad fighting for their playoff lives.

Poehling had a couple lucky goals against a AHL version of a Toronto roster who had nothing to play for.

People were hoping for something from Poehling based on a couple games in a WJC. Hutson has been the best defenseman in college hockey two years in a row.

They aren't the same type of prospect at all and trying to reduce what Hutson did because Poehling had one exciting game is classic Habs fans not believing we can have anything good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad