Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
On the topic of concerns about his size as a Dman, Jordan Spence at 5'10 with my LA Kings is currently killing it at the NHL level with a similar toolbox to Hutson (Hutson's offense is absolutely a tier above though). Hutson's defensive details at the moment leave some to be desired but they're far from unfixable, I really believe Habs fans are going to be over the moon with Hutson. Maybe you already are, I haven't been following this board

Spence is a much better skater and is close to 20 lbs heavier than Lane and between 1 and 2 inches taller (depending on what site you use). i would also suggest that referring to Spence as "killing it" is a very hyperbolic take as a sheltered third pairing offensive dman with 0 goals in 17 games........

There just is not a reasonable comparable for Hutson to have ever played in the NHL and this is what makes him so intriguing and at the same time polarizing. In my opinion he has a lot of work to do on his skating and strength before he should even be considered for an NHL roster spot. I do believe that he will get there but I have difficulty seeing that happen before the 25-26 season, at least on a full time basis.

Reactions: windycity

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Spence is a much better skater and is close to 20 lbs heavier than Lane and between 1 and 2 inches taller (depending on what site you use). i would also suggest that referring to Spence as "killing it" is a very hyperbolic take as a sheltered third pairing offensive dman with 0 goals in 17 games........

There just is not a reasonable comparable for Hutson to have ever played in the NHL and this is what makes him so intriguing and at the same time polarizing. In my opinion he has a lot of work to do on his skating and strength before he should even be considered for an NHL roster spot. I do believe that he will get there but I have difficulty seeing that happen before the 25-26 season, at least on a full time basis.
There is literally no where, where Spence is listed at 6 foot (in reference to 2 inches taller), most places he's listed at 5'10 and if he is 5'11 it's certainly a 5'11 closer to 5'10 than 6 foot

Hutson's skating mechanics needed work but didn't his acceleration and top speed greatly improve? His edgework is elite

And yes, I will be happy to inform you Spence is killing it on the 3rd pairing getting 14 mins a night without having a goal. He's been extremely impressive defensively as a smallish D-man, LA is top 5 in the league and the 3rd pairing is a big part of that.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
There is literally no where, where Spence is listed at 6 foot (in reference to 2 inches taller), most places he's listed at 5'10 and if he is 5'11 it's certainly a 5'11 closer to 5'10 than 6 foot

Hutson's skating mechanics needed work but didn't his acceleration and top speed greatly improve? His edgework is elite

And yes, I will be happy to inform you Spence is killing it on the 3rd pairing getting 14 mins a night without having a goal. He's been extremely impressive defensively as a smallish D-man, LA is top 5 in the league and the 3rd pairing is a big part of that.

Hutson is 5'9" as he was measured in July so your math does not add up. His height was falsely listed by BU (almost certainly at his behest) last year and they reposted it again in September.

His skating has improved a little but he still has below average speed and is and may be the worst back skater among drafted dmen that I have ever witnessed in over 4 decades of watching hockey.......that is not hyperbole, that is just the truth. I can't even think of an undrafted defender who was not under the age/level of U16 AAA who was this poor at back skating. It is astounding that he has always cheated and ignored instruction in this area but maybe it is that stubbornness and self belief that has made him so special with the puck that adversely affected his development with this skill. It is unthinkable that he does not correct this as he is clearly determined to play in the NHL. It is a hurdle that he must cross at some point to get there and it is very likely going to delay his arrival until he does so.

Once again, Spence is not "killing it" that is egregious hyperbole. Is he holding his own in sheltered minutes on the third pairing.....yes, and we can reserve the superlatives for if/when he moves up in the lineup or starts producing at a higher level.

If Hutson was Spence's size and could skate like Spence he would likely have turned pro this season or would be a virtual lock to do so next season and likely be a lock to make the Habs lineup next season as well but he is not and that's why this comparison like every other one with Hutson is a poor one.

I think Hutson is a special talent and I believe that he will play in the NHL and put up points. I just see a longer timeline than many of his more enthusiastic fans/posters seem willing to consider.

We should just entirely stop with the comparisons as there aren't any that are even decent and accept that we have a developmental unicorn and just allow his journey to blaze it's own path.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It seems like Hutson has learned as much as he can in the NCAA so I expect to see him in Laval next year. It would be fun to see him on a pair with Reinbacher or Engstrom.
The backwards skating is a thing. He looked pretty good defensively despite it but I don’t know. It might be better to learn it in NCAA. Might not be the worst in Laval either. But it is a thing that needs to happen.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Can he become a UFA after his 4th year in college?

All NCAA players do with the exception of players that qualify for the "loophole" where they can turn pro after their Junior year. Only players that don't go directly to the NCAA after being drafted qualify so Hutson does not qualify so yes he can become a UFA in August 15th of 2026.

It seems like Hutson has learned as much as he can in the NCAA.

I don't see why that's the case. But I think fans overlook the fact that he will have the rare chance to play with both his brothers on what could be an epic team. There's let's say talk from BU fans that Celebrini who is very close friends with Eiserman (I don't know if this is true or BS) and has made it known or suggested that he wants to return next year. Of course going 1st OA, the team that gets him may want him to go pro but wow could that be a crazy fun team to watch with the 3 Hutson's, Celebrini and Eiserman.

Of course it's just wild speculation right now but I just think fans should be prepared that he may be at BU next year. He could just as easily be on the Habs as I have not heard anything about his intentions. I do think he badly needs to bulk up and add strength, so I would push for another year at BU as why not.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't see why that's the case. But I think fans overlook the fact that he will have the rare chance to play with both his brothers on what could be an epic team. There's let's say talk from BU fans that Celebrini who is very close friends with Eiserman (I don't know if this is true or BS) and has made it known or suggested that he wants to return next year. Of course going 1st OA, the team that gets him may want him to go pro but wow could that be a crazy fun team to watch with the 3 Hutson's, Celebrini and Eiserman.

Of course it's just wild speculation right now but I just think fans should be prepared that he may be at BU next year. He could just as easily be on the Habs as I have not heard anything about his intentions. I do think he badly needs to bulk up and add strength, so I would push for another year at BU as why not.
I doubt he goes to Montreal. But I could see him in Laval.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
All NCAA players do with the exception of players that qualify for the "loophole" where they can turn pro after their Junior year. Only players that don't go directly to the NCAA after being drafted qualify so Hutson does not qualify so yes he can become a UFA in August 15th of 2026.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay for a 3rd year at BU under those circumstances. Imagine the confidence high he would bring with him to training camper for an NHL tryout at the end of his 3rd NCAA season!?

I personally just don't want to get into a situation where we risk losing him for absolutely nothing after four NCAA seasons.

Montreal still has the option to play him and burn an ELC year at that point, as an advantage over other teams, no?

Still, I think that this would have a greater impact for Hutson after a third NCAA season than a fourth where choosing where you play can carry a lot of weight

I mean, everyone wants to play for Arizona and, for Hutson playing at their rink would be just like playing for BU! ;)

Apparently, Hutson has bulked up while playing for BU (according to the head coach) and is stronger coming out of battles the corners.

Another year of that, with more time between lesser games in the NCAA to devote to this, plus an two entire offseasons to bulk up, could be a HUGE (deliberate play on words) advantage for Hutson before he comes over to Montreal or Laval.

After three years of University, he could, theoretically, finish his degree with some kind of 'Away' or summer course arrangement often offered to athletes. All of that could be finished in two offseasons, so he could graduate after his first year in Laval, or in Montreal, were he to graduate without passing through Laval.

Personally, I think that an extra year in the NCAA and at least a good part of a year of seasoning in Laval would be ideal for Hutson when taking into account the remaining term on Matheson's contract.

Matheson has two more years after this one at a paltry 4.875M, considering what he can bring to a Cup-aspiring team on a second pairing.

By the last year of Matheson's contract, Hughes should have all his retention spots back for the trade deadline (Petry's will have ended the year before).

How valuable would Matheson at 2.4375M, 75% spent already (609K soapily to a team's total Cap) really be?

Most Cup aspiring teams would be able to slot him into their Cap structure without any major moves by exploiting the IR buffer that teams keep during the season.

Hutson, if playing well in Laval, could be recalled as Matheson gets shipped out of town for a Grade A prospect, along with other assets (picks and prospects).

By then, Guhle will be a young veteran already and should be able to handle 1st pairing LHD duties to shield the young Hutson.

Hopefully, by then Mailloux will also have tasted the NHL and be along his way coanchoring a spot in the top-4.

Playing Hutson in the AHL for a portion of a season will be eye candy for fans in Laval and should help stimulate ticket sales there...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With the 1st half of the NCAA season about to end, this weekend are the last 2 games he'll play until the WJC's and then the 2nd half of the season starts in Jan.

After watching this fabulous video, my comparable for Maklin Celebrini is.... Lane Hutson.

They look so similar they way they survey the play from the perimeter and break down the defense to create time, space, and scoring chances.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
After watching this fabulous video, my comparable for Maklin Celebrini is.... Lane Hutson.

They look so similar they way they survey the play from the perimeter and break down the defense to create time, space, and scoring chances.
They are very similar, every time Hutson is there, the puck follows him and is stuck to his stick everywhere he goes lol.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad