Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
It's mainly the defensive side that could keep him from that tier imo. So we'll see what he ends up being on both sides of the game...

I agree. But at offense, Hutson have the talent to be in that tier. Let's see. I speak only on potential, I'm not the future!

Reactions: 26Mats

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I still think Hutson will just go straight to the NHL. He's got too much skill and IQ and being exposed to NHLers will all be part of the growing pains defensively.

Reactions: Redux91

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I still think Hutson will just go straight to the NHL. He's got too much skill and IQ and being exposed to NHLers will all be part of the growing pains defensively.
Wouldn't be surprised if they rush him.

Should start in the AHL assuming he doesn't just dummy the end of regular season this year and pre-season next year.

Talent is higher in A, so it's not like he's going straight to a similar situation to the NCAA.

Reactions: Rapala

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Wouldn't be surprised if they rush him.

Should start in the AHL assuming he doesn't just dummy the end of regular season this year and pre-season next year.

Talent is higher in A, so it's not like he's going straight to a similar situation to the NCAA.
I don't think a player with elite hockey IQ and skill is at risk of being rushed. Look at Caufield.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
True, but Caufield doesn't do defense. Hutson will have to do defense, too.
Everyone's fear was Caufield getting manhandled by big and strong NHL dmen which wasn't the case. Another example, while Hughes has the elite skating that Hutson will never have, he struggled immensely on the defensive side in his second season. He overcame that due to his skill and IQ.

Reactions: Andrei79

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wait.

He plays an average of 28:36 a game ???

That's redonkulus

Their coached talked about this, in the first game of the season it was said he played over 36 mins and the next game it was really high as well (not 36 mins). I said at the time that he looked a bit sluggish and that maybe he doesn't have the frame to be playing over half the game. His coach has said since then they have been working on keeping his ice time from getting too much. So those 2 games throw off the ave a little. But as the play by play said, it's hard to keep Lane Hutson off the ice.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Everyone's fear was Caufield getting manhandled by big and strong NHL dmen which wasn't the case. Another example, while Hughes has the elite skating that Hutson will never have, he struggled immensely on the defensive side in his second season. He overcame that due to his skill and IQ.
Yeah, but this is a Habs prospect and things seemingly go wrong at some point for them, so I'm assuming his first season will just go horrendous.
Their coached talked about this, in the first game of the season it was said he played over 36 mins and the next game it was really high as well (not 36 mins). I said at the time that he looked a bit sluggish and that maybe he doesn't have the frame to be playing over half the game. His coach has said since then they have been working on keeping his ice time from getting too much. So those 2 games throw off the ave a little. But as the play by play said, it's hard to keep Lane Hutson off the ice.
That would definitely mark it up, but if he can eat 23ish minutes a game in the NHL that would be great.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think the Habs drafted quite a bit of prospect with good IQ and even skills, but the later were dulled by their "development" with the team (or they couldn't keep up).
I'm sorry but I don't really see anyone with both elite IQ and skill. Roy, Hutson, and Caufield are the only ones to come to mind.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Well if he isn’t learning that from that 23TOI he gets every game not sure how else he’ll get it at NCAA
Exactly my point. The crazy amount of icetime will only help with his all-round game development. I don't like his gap control and he can't contain anyone down low. He needs strength and reps.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Note, Adam Fox played 3 years in the NCAA.

And was bigger, stronger and a better skater than Lane.

I am all for another season at BU and he needs to entirely dedicate his next offseason to fixing his back skating as he was embarrassed again in his last game.

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
On the topic of concerns about his size as a Dman, Jordan Spence at 5'10 with my LA Kings is currently killing it at the NHL level with a similar toolbox to Hutson (Hutson's offense is absolutely a tier above though). Hutson's defensive details at the moment leave some to be desired but they're far from unfixable, I really believe Habs fans are going to be over the moon with Hutson. Maybe you already are, I haven't been following this board

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
On the topic of concerns about his size as a Dman, Jordan Spence at 5'10 with my LA Kings is currently killing it at the NHL level with a similar toolbox to Hutson (Hutson's offense is absolutely a tier above though). Hutson's defensive details at the moment leaves some to be desired but they're far from unfixable, I really believe Habs fans are going to be over the moon with Hutson. Maybe you already are, I haven't been following this board

Some of us are over the moon with his offense, but unsure he'll be ab look e to defend at the NHL level.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad