Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
We know that the world juniors aren't necessarily a good indicator of how a 0layer will do at the NHL level. We can look at Suzuki's low numbers versus Drouin and Puljujarvi's high numbers. Though those two may have been affected by injuries down the line.

Now, what about the world championships? How much do they indicate about a player's NHL potential. We've seen Armia do well there... We've also seen Brobov saying Slaf is a historical talent based on what he did at these international tournaments at such a young age. We'll see how that plays out...
I was addressing the poster's concern about Hutson's level of skating. Hutson had no difficulty keeping up with either the professional players he faced at the WHC or his contemporaries at this year's rookie camp where he was clearly one of the better players. While not the most elegant of skaters, it won't be his skating that will be Hutson's biggest challenge succeeding at the next level. It will be his strength or lack thereof.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah but pinching backskating and gap control has nothing to do with turning the puck over. His defensive issues don't have anything to do with his offensive game. The turnovers aren't as big of a deal as his recoveries from them and just normal 5 on 5 play without the puck
I can't speak to the specific play that was referred to. Just making a general comment. Subban used to own the puck but he'd hold onto it too much sometimes and lose it. Hutson will never be a Shane Weber clear the crease kinda guy as he'll be limited by his size but he can more than make up for it if he's got the puck.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You mean like last season when he was intentionally listed at a false height at BU....and it wasn't the college that did this as Lane sheepishly claimed, it was from him and/or his agent as both he and his brother were the only BU players to announce their "new" heights on that same day lol. He was just measured in July at just over 5'9" and it is unlikely that a kid who is turning 20 in 3 months just added another inch only 4 months since his last measurement.

This is a silly waste of time to even discuss nonsense like this based on people's hyper biased visual measurements.

I swear if penis size was important to success as a hockey player people on this site would be going over every picture of his groin region trying to convince us of his enormous hammer.....or drawing conclusions from the length of his nose or size of his ears lol.

Anyways.....I digress.

Did you pay attentiom to his diagnosis or not? He has delayed development which means his plates haven’t fused yet. He’s still got the ability to grow. Saying it’s not likely is just completely side stepping his diagnosis…

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Did you pay attentiom to his diagnosis or not? He has delayed development which means his playes haven’t fused yet. He’s still got the ability to grow. Saying it’s not likely is just completely side stepping his diagnosis…

Well either way, we'll get an updated version of his height and weight at the world Juniors. Team USA releases that data on their players. Though I'm not sure how reliable of a source team USA is.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Did you pay attentiom to his diagnosis or not? He has delayed development which means his playes haven’t fused yet. He’s still got the ability to grow. Saying it’s not likely is just completely side stepping his diagnosis…

He also checked with the doctor last summer, and his growth plates are still open, so there's a possibility he still grows

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Or....you can entirely ignore the fact that I was 100% proven to be correct last season when I suggested that he had not grown much and BU intentionally falsely reported his height.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
So he's 5"9 with the possibility of growing to 5"10? Dont think it will change much on the ice unless he grows to 5"11+ wich is very unlikely.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So he's 5"9 with the possibility of growing to 5"10? Dont think it will change much on the ice unless he grows to 5"11+ wich is very unlikely.
Just does not matter anymore at this point
It's more about filling out, and working on a couple of things
But all in all, he's can't miss to make it either way

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's the weight that's more concerning imo, he's got to add a good bit of mass in the coming years. Not sure if he has the frame to get to 185 or so or if that would slow him down too much.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
it's the weight that's more concerning imo, he's got to add a good bit of mass in the coming years. Not sure if he has the frame to get to 185 or so or if that would slow him down too much.
For what it's worth, I had a late growth spurt too and found myself unable to put on weight due to the combined effect of being a 19 yo and still getting taller. My metabolism was just too fast to have a calorie surplus, and I wasn't a full-time athlete like Lane either. Once I settled into my frame, I managed to go north of 210 pounds really fast, and I ended up more athletic than ever.

What I'm saying is that I don't think this is a small frame issue. It's him being a kid unable to eat more than his body burns in order to grow up while playing hockey every day. Any weight he puts on is man-weight and will only make him a better athlete.

And this is all the more reason to let him simmer for a while.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I love Lane. Great pick. But people should stop putting Quinn Hughes in the same phrase. We're not talking within the same tier in my opinion.
He outpointed him last year. People are obviously going to talk about it.

I don’t think anyone expects him to be Makar but it’s ok to at least be a little excited here. He and Roy are late picks that should at least be productive for us. Fingers crossed.

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
He outpointed him last year. People are obviously going to talk about it.

I don’t think anyone expects him to be Makar but it’s ok to at least be a little excited here. He and Roy are late picks that should at least be productive for us. Fingers crossed.
As with most prospects, patience is key. They feel pressure regardless, but the added weight of fan expectations can bury some.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
People talk about Slaf over Cooley and Reinbacher over Michkov, but

Lane Hutson will be such a fun player to watch at NHL level. Everyone should be hype with this guy. The talent of this player is incredible. I think @Whitesnake want to calm down some in this forum, but honestly... why not to believe that Hutson can have the same type of production than Quinn Hughes? We never know. He play the same style and have unique talent aswell. The only thing that Hutson don't have of Hughes, it's his skating ability, the rest looks very similar and he produce like him in NCAA, even better.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
People talk about Slaf over Cooley and Reinbacher over Michkov, but

Lane Hutson will be such a fun player to watch at NHL level. Everyone should be hype with this guy. The talent of this player is incredible. I think @Whitesnake want to calm down some in this forum, but honestly... why not to believe that Hutson can have the same type of production than Quinn Hughes? We never know. He play the same style and have unique talent aswell. The only thing that Hutson don't have of Hughes, it's his skating ability, the rest looks very similar and he produce like him in NCAA, even better.
It may be a while before we see him in the NHL. If he is still growing it’s going to affect his ability to put on muscle. He’s likely to go AHL next year but he might wind up doing two if he can’t get his strength up quickly enough.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It may be a while before we see him in the NHL. If he is still growing it’s going to affect his ability to put on muscle. He’s likely to go AHL next year but he might wind up doing two if he can’t get his strength up quickly enough.

We will see him play games at the end of this year.. but if the physical element is too much, he'll be in the AHL the following year like we are seeing with Farrell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad