Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Mark Streit seems low key a very underrated player. He was absolute gold here following his first rocky season in NA and had a great career as a number 2 throughout his career. Dynamite IQ.

He was never a very good defender and definitely not a top pairing dman on the vast majority of teams.

Overall good player though but probably a #4 or 5 on a good team and a good PP QB.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The way the game is played nowaday, with forwards and defense free-flowing and switching positions to generate confusion and opportunities, I think Hudon is fine at D. He's not a forward, he's a point guard.

The narrative of positionless hockey is grossly exaggerated as even the most aggressive dmen play more D than any forward. They also don't switch in the dzone very often, this is just an misused and overused phrase to describe modern dmen who often jump up into the play.......but positionless..?? Not even close tbh.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Are you comparing Bourque and Hutson’s skating or just hyping the kid?

Just a piss take mostly lol. I've read people saying as a prospect Bourque was critiqued for how bad his back skating was. I tend to land on the side of talent winning out, whatever issues Hutson has he'll make his talent work at every level.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Mate, Streit was clearly a 2 at his peak. He didn't get this 5.25M$/4 contract by chance. Was even captain in NY.

He was on a terrible team with an even worse dcorps....he was paid for his offence but absolutely nobody with a chance of being competitive would have wanted him on their 1st pairing.

He was a very good PP QB and a below average defender, I don't think ang GM would argue that.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Just a piss take mostly lol. I've read people saying as a prospect Bourque was critiqued for how bad his back skating was. I tend to land on the side of talent winning out, whatever issues Hutson has he'll make his talent work at every level.
I think he’ll be an impact player too. For having gone to many hab/bruin games in that era though I was always in awe of how solid Bourque was at everything. He even stood out at the warm up, and not with circus-like dangles. Just his locomotion and efficiency had that aura. I had not heard about how he had to work on it. Man had such amazing balance and lower body strength it always seemed.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
He was never a very good defender and definitely not a top pairing dman on the vast majority of teams.

Overall good player though but probably a #4 or 5 on a good team and a good PP QB.
His forte was indeed the PP part of the game and not the D part, we agree. I think calling him a 5 on a good team is severe, you don't need to put emphasis on his D that much and the puck moving part of the game was very important in a lower scoring era.

Say you pair him with a Weber... You think he's not a fit for that first pairing? A #2 can be many things yes, but if your #1 is a rock on D, having Streit as a #2 is a very important piece. In other words, he'd have no problems on most first pairings as the "other guy" on that pair, and a luxury on a second pair.

Point still stands, if Hutson becomes a steady NHL producer like Streit and can be insulated with a rock D, we can call that an absolute success. We see eye to eye on the fact that he won't be a #1, but he won't need to be if other parts like Guhle and Rein and whoever else can become that type of minute eating rock D. LH can focus on his PP duties and the puck moving part.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
The defensive part of his game is a real concern for me at this point. Also, with Mailloux. Cannot have several "weak D, strong O" defensemen and expect success in the playoffs. Hutson should probably spend at least another year in college and at least one in the AHL IMO.
He’s not gonna learn much more in the NCAA next year. At that level, he’s so much of an ice tilter that he’s not gonna be able to work all that much on his defense.

I agree he should spend some time in the AHL though.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
His forte was indeed the PP part of the game and not the D part, we agree. I think calling him a 5 on a good team is severe, you don't need to put emphasis on his D that much and the puck moving part of the game was very important in a lower scoring era.

Say you pair him with a Weber... You think he's not a fit for that first pairing? A #2 can be many things yes, but if your #1 is a rock on D, having Streit as a #2 is a very important piece. In other words, he'd have no problems on most first pairings as the "other guy" on that pair, and a luxury on a second pair.

Point still stands, if Hutson becomes a steady NHL producer like Streit and can be insulated with a rock D, we can call that an absolute success. We see eye to eye on the fact that he won't be a #1, but he won't need to be if other parts like Guhle and Rein and whoever else can become that type of minute eating rock D. LH can focus on his PP duties and the puck moving part.

I think we mostly agree as I liked Streit.

To summarize why I do not consider him to be a top pairing player and a borderline 2nd pairing dman is because you absolutely don't want him on the ice against the opposition's top line, especially in the playoffs. People often make the mistake of saying that a certain player played on the top pairing therefore they are a top pairing dman. If that same player can only play top pairing on the worst dcorps in the league than they are only there by default and not by merit.

I look at these designations from a roster building perspective and I do not think any GM of a playoff bound team would wantonly occupy a top pairing spot with Streit when given reasonable options. They would likely slot him in as the weaker half of the second pairing where his partner could insulate his shortcomings and potentially on the 3rd pairing if the top 4 are strong enough. This would be ideal for a player whose strength is almost solely in the offensive zone. Streit wasn't a great puck carrier and did not drive the play 5 vs 5 relative to most other offensive dmen so his ideal usage imo was a sheltered 5 vs 5 defender and #1 PPQB.

I should point out that he was not a terrible defender and he was a smart player who generally made good decisions. He was undersized and only an average skater and did well within his physical limitations but if I was serious about winning a Cup I would bury him as deep as my depth chart would allow for 5 vs 5 hockey.

Reactions: Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
man.... you could actually hear the crowd back then. I miss this
Such a reverse in forces too. Back then you couldn't even think of giving us a PP. We won on the back of that PP for a good stretch... and we stank 5 on 5. If you were to beat us, you had to do it 5 on 5 and disciplined. Probably a factor in us mowing down the Bruins for two straight seasons.

Now we back pass a puck until the ice melts from that single lane and congratulate ourselves when we gain the zone...

Hutson can't come soon enough to try and soothe that.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
The defensive part of his game is a real concern for me at this point. Also, with Mailloux. Cannot have several "weak D, strong O" defensemen and expect success in the playoffs. Hutson should probably spend at least another year in college and at least one in the AHL IMO.
Beats the "weak d, weak o" players we have right now

Reactions: habsfan891

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
Interesting article on Hutson and a little on Fowler, from La Presse:

One takeaway:
Même s’il produit davantage au même âge, dans le même circuit, que les meilleurs jeunes défenseurs de la Ligue nationale de hockey, Huston a encore ses sceptiques. Et il ne faut pas écarter du revers de la main ces avis divergents, question de garder la meilleure dose de réalisme dans nos prévisions.
Hutson n’est pas un patineur explosif comme Makar, Fox ou Hughes. Il doit aussi améliorer ses mouvements latéraux et son patin arrière ; souvent, il va pivoter plus rapidement pour passer le patin avant lorsqu’il se retrouve en confrontation à un contre un.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Kent Hughes on the Sick podcast with Jimmy Murphy and Pierre Mcguire.

he said as soon as the BU season is over, they will sign him to a contract and he will begin his pro career. He said those exact words.

He said he is most impressed about his development in terms of leadership. That its one thing to come in and surprise everyone but another to do it again when everyone is expecting it.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

he said as soon as the BU season is over, they will sign him to a contract and he will begin his pro career. He said those exact words.

He said he is most impressed about his development in terms of leadership. That its one thing to come in and surprise everyone but another to do it again when everyone is expecting it.
Yeah
Not surprised at all really
Cant wait to see him get here

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

he also said Reinbacher was a D2 who probably wouldn't run a PP, so who knows.. Kent seems to flip flop on prospects

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He needs to be signed at the end of this year and turn pro, even if that means playing in Laval for a bit.

A third year at BU gives lane the opportunity of playing there just another year and signing wherever he wants after that.

Can't let that seem like a possibility.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He needs to be signed at the end of this year and turn pro, even if that means playing in Laval for a bit.

A third year at BU gives lane the opportunity of playing there just another year and signing wherever he wants after that.

Can't let that seem like a possibility.

Agreed.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
he also said Reinbacher was a D2 who probably wouldn't run a PP, so who knows.. Kent seems to flip flop on prospects
Where is the flip-flop in that statement, especially since the PP is a 1 D affair right now in Montreal.

The PP QB will likely be Hutson on one PP wave and Mailloux on the 2nd wave.

Reactions: HomaridII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad