Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I would be shocked if Hutson comes out as the best player of the 2022 draft. When is the last time that achievement went to the guy drafted #62?
Agreed. Shouldn't be the standard either way, opinions will always vary on who is the best player of any draft class, unless someone is by a wide margin (Crosby/McDavid/etc)
Like what do you look at, pts production, PPG, MVP nominations?
Take the 2017, is Makar the best player above Pettersson/Robertson?

We should be happy if he turns out an elite player, anything above that would indeed be shocking and just gravy at this point.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Posters: crying that we don’t have elite talent, or elite type of talent.

Same posters about our prospect with elite abilities: yeah but he won’t pan out he only has offensive talent, we need to trade him because he’ll only be a PPG dman!
I have no issues with someone who thinks a prospect is overrrated or won’t make it. That’s all well and good. They may be right.

I don’t think anyone can predict success or failure for certain though.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agreed. Shouldn't be the standard either way, opinions will always vary on who is the best player of any draft class, unless someone is by a wide margin (Crosby/McDavid/etc)
Like what do you look at, pts production, PPG, MVP nominations?
Take the 2017, is Makar the best player above Pettersson/Robertson?

We should be happy if he turns out an elite player, anything above that would indeed be shocking and just gravy at this point.
That’s not the question though. :)

The question is if you’d be shocked at him turning out to be the best player in the draft knowing what you know now?

To me, that’s an unequivocal ‘no’.

People can point to him being selected 62nd all they want, at this point it no longer matters. Does anyone doubt he’d have been taken in the first round of a redraft? Of course he would. Ditto with Joshua Roy.

I’ve always been about getting the highest pick possible. Your odds of getting high end talent are so much better. But there will ALWAYS be late picks who overperform. It’s uncommon but not rare.

Based on what we know now he could absolutely be the best in that draft. But we won’t know this for at least three or four years from now. Probably longer.

Reactions: Redux91

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
At 5f11 no doubt he would have been selected top 5. Now he's breaking all records and you couldn't expect a better learning curve....He's a more offensive Fox in the making who will need a defensive force to play with ala QH. You know they thought about it while drafting Rainmaker, I think they're meant to play with each other. Never seen anyone break ankles like this kid does... we are blessed.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
At 5f11 no doubt he would have been selected top 5. Now he's breaking all records and you couldn't expect a better learning curve....He's a more offensive Fox in the making who will need a defensive force to play with ala QH. You know they thought about it while drafting Rainmaker, I think they're meant to play with each other. Never seen anyone break ankles like this kid does... we are blessed.

They didn't draft Reinbacher to play on the 3rd pairing with Hutson.

Reinbacher and Guhle are much more likely to play together on the 1st pairing

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
They didn't draft Reinbacher to play on the 3rd pairing with Hutson.

Reinbacher and Guhle are much more likely to play together on the 1st pairing
Fox is on which pairing again? What about Quinn and his great defensive game? With the right partner these guys generate more offense than not and spend less time in their zone even tho its not always pretty... hence the right partner. Kid is showing generational offense and posess great IQ, he'll figure it out just like Quinn did.

Reactions: Garnet76

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Fox is on which pairing again? What about Quinn and his great defensive game? With the right partner these guys generate more offense than not and spend less time in their zone even tho its not always pretty... hence the right partner. Kid is showing generational offense and posess great IQ, he'll figure it out just like Quinn did.

Quinn's defensive game has greatly improved and is a much better skater than Lane can ever dream of being. The Hughes/Hutson comparison's are ludicrous and need to stop being used.

Fox is a better comparison and he certainly still has some defensive flaws but even he is a better skater than Hutson will ever be and is two inches taller and 25 lb pounds heavier than Hutson.

Lane Hutson is not like any dman in the history of the NHL which makes his development so interesting. If he does have a significant growth spurt and his skating takes a significant step forward, especially his back skating which is the worst I have ever seen for a NHL dman in the 40 + years that I have been watching hockey......then and only then can we even discuss Fox as a realistic comparison.

I do believe that he will eventually fix his back skating enough to be a 3rd pairing D who is carefully/situationally deployed and a very exciting PP quarterback but to even get there will take a lot of improvement and development on Hutson's part.

I am excited as anyone to see what he can do on our PP in a few years but the unrealistic projections/comparisons that entirely disregard enormous ability gaps in specific areas are a little much and honestly are annoying to have to point out all of the time. I then get painted as a Hutson hater just for being a voice of reason and objective analysis. So can we please just stop pointing to Fox and Hughes as examples of his expected development path and just discuss Lane Hutson and his strengths and weaknesses honestly for once on this board.

I was called a Hutson hater for pointing out his almost entire lack of back skating ability which is now almost universally accepted on this board and I called BS on his alleged growth spurt that some posters had him at 5'11" which also had me labelled as a hater and I turned out to be correct on that as well. People called me a Slafkovsky hater before and after his draft because I said that his IQ was incredibly low for a 1 OA pick and despite all of the screaming at me about that opinion it has proven to be his biggest concern by a long shot. I am treated like an accused witch for introducing ideas that run counter to the mob's bias....thankfully I am not actually burned and continue to live to point out the absurdity of these accusations.

Hopefully not. Except to protect a lead late in a game. Reinbacher - Hutson and Guhle - Mailloux would be good.

I don't see it....putting Hutson on the top pairing will just increase the odds that we will have to play him late in the game to gamble on getting back into it. His skating will have to greatly improve to even consider such an option.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Quinn's defensive game has greatly improved and is a much better skater than Lane can ever dream of being. The Hughes/Hutson comparison's are ludicrous and need to stop being used.

Fox is a better comparison and he certainly still has some defensive flaws but even he is a better skater than Hutson will ever be and is two inches taller and 25 lb pounds heavier than Hutson.

Lane Hutson is not like any dman in the history of the NHL which makes his development so interesting. If he does have a significant growth spurt and his skating takes a significant step forward, especially his back skating which is the worst I have ever seen for a NHL dman in the 40 + years that I have been watching hockey......then and only then can we even discuss Fox as a realistic comparison.

I do believe that he will eventually fix his back skating enough to be a 3rd pairing D who is carefully/situationally deployed and a very exciting PP quarterback but to even get there will take a lot of improvement and development on Hutson's part.

I am excited as anyone to see what he can do on our PP in a few years but the unrealistic projections/comparisons that entirely disregard enormous ability gaps in specific areas are a little much and honestly are annoying to have to point out all of the time. I then get painted as a Hutson hater just for being a voice of reason and objective analysis. So can we please just stop pointing to Fox and Hughes as examples of his expected development path and just discuss Lane Hutson and his strengths and weaknesses honestly for once on this board.

I was called a Hutson hater for pointing out his almost entire lack of back skating ability which is now almost universally accepted on this board and I called BS on his alleged growth spurt that some posters had him at 5'11" which also had me labelled as a hater and I turned out to be correct on that as well. People called me a Slafkovsky hater before and after his draft because I said that his IQ was incredibly low for a 1 OA pick and despite all of the screaming at me about that opinion it has proven to be his biggest concern by a long shot. I am treated like an accused witch for introducing ideas that run counter to the mob's bias....thankfully I am not actually burned and continue to live to point out the absurdity of these accusations.

I don't see it....putting Hutson on the top pairing will just increase the odds that we will have to play him late in the game to gamble on getting back into it. His skating will have to greatly improve to even consider such an option.
Stop it... 3rd pair defensman? No... he is a top4 defensman.

Reactions: viceroy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad