Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
His skating doesn’t look bad to me. He seems more than capable of dominating at lower levels anyway.

I’ve heard his backwards skating’s an issue and I’m sure there are things for him to work on but Subban had a messed up way of skating and it didn’t hurt him.
Subby invented edges. Hutson looks like a guy trying on skates skating backwards. His strengths lie elsewhere Lol.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I've added plenty to this thread and every thread involving Lane Hutson as to why I'm not a fan. And I don't need to explain it once again, which is what half this thread and every thread of this forum is made of; Users explaining the same opinion every month or so.

The other half is made up of users like you who don't read the thread and think they add something to it when they don't.

If you get this flustered by me posting a 5 word post, I wouldn't recommend you reading my history of posts about Lane Hutson, you might get an aneurysm buddy. I don't want that for you.
No one cares if you aren’t a fan because that doesn’t mean he won’t be a good player. Some people don’t like Mcdavid.

Reactions: malcb33

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Interesting kid, but he still has a long way to go. It is amazing to watch his clips, I have never seen such contrast in skating. His edges are absolutely elite, but he switches to backwards skating, he looks like school boy.
dumb-and-dumber-school-boy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Riggins

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
McCagg says that Lane had over 200 touches of the puck in his last game which is really incredible
I thought I read he played 35 minutes and change.

35 mins × 60 sec/min ÷ 269 touches = a touch every 8 seconds he was on the ice.

Seems impossible but I'm not gonna be the guy to re-count the puck touches.

• Haha
Reactions: HabzSauce

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
His skating doesn’t look bad to me. He seems more than capable of dominating at lower levels anyway.

I’ve heard his backwards skating’s an issue and I’m sure there are things for him to work on but Subban had a messed up way of skating and it didn’t hurt him.
Subban was very strong though what Hutson is not

Reactions: montreal

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Hughes is a much better and more effortless skater. While Hutson’s skating still remains awkward ( a hunched over, almost running on the ice style) he has, at least in this viewer’s opinion, become faster and more elusive. Some of the plays he made and goals he scored at last year’s WHC were eye-opening. And at the recent rookie camp he was the most dynamic player on the ice. Nevertheless, Hutson still needs to get faster and stronger to reach his hoped for potential at the next level. Its interesting to note that some here who express skepticism about Hutson’s ability to play in the NHL due to skating limitations (and size) are readily projecting Roy as a top six forward in the NHL when Roy’s skating limitations are equally if not more pronounced.

Roy doesn't need to learn how to skate backwards and has far less defensive responsibilities than Hutson. There is also the fact that Roy is strong on his skates. There are tons of examples of mediocre skaters who play or have played in top six roles. There are no examples of players Hutson's size who struggle so mightily to skate backwards......I am not sure how you can even accidentally conflate these two assertions.

Roy has improved his skating every year and is only ever so slightly below average in terms of speed now, it is a non factor at this point. He is a better skater than Toffoli is right now who just had a career year.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Roy doesn't need to learn how to skate backwards and has far less defensive responsibilities than Hutson. There is also the fact that Roy is strong on his skates. There are tons of examples of mediocre skaters who play or have played in top six roles. There are no examples of players Hutson's size who struggle so mightily to skate backwards......I am not sure how you can even accidentally conflate these two assertions.

Roy has improved his skating every year and is only ever so slightly below average in terms of speed now, it is a non factor at this point. He is a better skater than Toffoli is right now who just had a career year.
I guess we shall see if Roy has developed enough speed to be effective at the AHL level let alone in the NHL.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I guess we shall see if Roy has developed enough speed to be effective at the AHL level let alone in the NHL.

Speed won't be the determining factor for Roy as he doesn't play the game with his hair on fire. It will be dependant on adjustments that he makes to his approach and how much he needs to hold on to the puck as opposed to moving it quickly and looking for give and go's. If he develops chemistry with his linemates speed will be a non factor. He is already a better skater than Gallagher ever was and he is much smarter so he will already be headed in the right direction before all of the dumber but faster players lol.

You are entitled to have your opinion on the matter and Roy hasn't proven anything at the pro level yet but I am very confident that he is going to have a long NHL career as long as his attitude/conditioning continues to not be a problem. I am also confident that you would like me to be right on this one :thumbu:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
No one cares if you aren’t a fan because that doesn’t mean he won’t be a good player. Some people don’t like Mcdavid.

Why do you feel the need to take his concerns with Hutson personal. If you don't like his individual statements than attack them with evidence and if you can't find evidence then don't attack at all.

Reactions: MadMslm

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Why do you feel the need to take his concerns with Hutson personal. If you don't like his individual statements than attack them with evidence and if you can't find evidence then don't attack at all.
It’s a forum people can post what they want but they have to expect replies. Saying you aren’t a fan of a player people are clearly excited about with nothing else to support why is essentially trolling.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
My take some people on this board are really sleeping on Hutson because of his "skating" which is laughable.
If it doesn't get better he won't play in the NHL.

I do believe it will get better but it is annoying when posters get on their fan boy chair and dismiss anything now matter how true it may be that they don't like as heresy. They treat the people uttering these opinions as heretics who are not conforming to the populist mob and dog whistle for support in an effort to drown out the evidence.

It’s a forum people can post what they want but they have to expect replies. Saying you aren’t a fan of a player people are clearly excited about with nothing else to support why is essentially trolling.

Injecting the truth and objective levity to a confirmation bias bubble is not trolling, it is balanced, rational behaviour that zealots typically don't like.

You should do yourself and your integrity a solid and adhere to the declaration that you started your post with.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

I do believe it will get better but it is annoying when posters get on their fan boy chair and dismiss anything now matter how true it may be that they don't like as heresy. They treat the people uttering these opinions as heretics who are not conforming to the populist mob and dog whistle for support in an effort to drown out the evidence.
I value hockey IQ the most and this kid ooze hockey IQ, he is always at the right place/time, the puck always follow him. I think people questioning his defensive game should take a breather, learning how to play offensive hockey is WAY harder than improving skating and defensive positioning, heck even if he is average at best defensively his ability to run the offense will be highly valuable.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I value hockey IQ the most and this kid ooze hockey IQ, he is always at the right place/time, the puck always follow him. I think people questioning his defensive game should take a breather, learning how to play offensive hockey is WAY harder than improving skating and defensive positioning, heck even if he is average at best defensively his ability to run the offense will be highly valuable.

He is well below average defensively and will never be even average unless his skating drastically improves and he has a miraculous growth spurt. If he was in the NHL today he would be the worst defender the league has seen in a very long time as they would blow by him on the rush, dominate him in the cornes and easily maintain body position on him in front of the net.

Thankfully he has plenty of time and he is clearly working on his skating. I also value IQ over all else but there are minimums that other parts of a players physical skill set need to reach in order to be able to take advantage of his IQ and he is not there yet. Anybody who says he can't get there should be disregarded as well as anyone who pretends that the problems aren't serious and real should also be disregarded. There are too many defensive emotion/tribal bias driven retorts in this thread. People need to learn how to cope with reality as opposed to immersing themselves in tribal apologist defensive mechanisms.

Reactions: Vachon23

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Injecting the truth and objective levity to a confirmation bias bubble is not trolling, it is balanced, rational behaviour that zealots typically don't like.

You should do yourself and your integrity a solid and adhere to the declaration that you started your post with.

Injecting the truth? Objective levity? He stated an opinion that he doesn’t like the player, and that’s it - what about that is truth or objective? Generally people form arguments and present facts if they want to approach truth and objectivity.

What is the confirmation bias bubble you’re talking about anyways? The one where posters who criticize refuse to accept any form of criticism of their negativity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad