Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
i mean sure but if you look at his NHLe, its pretty much a guarantee at this point
NHLe lmfao, NHLe doesn't take everything into account.

Hutson is insanely skilled and if everything goes right, he could be one of the top dman point getter in the NHL. But we also have to be realistic. He has a lot to overcome in terms of physicality, defensive play and skating. All of those things could hold him back. Personally, I'm a fan and I think his offense will translate, but that's just my dumb uneducated guess. And we can all guess, we'll only know once he signs ;)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
NHLe lmfao, NHLe doesn't take everything into account.

Hutson is insanely skilled and if everything goes right, he could be one of the top dman point getter in the NHL. But we also have to be realistic. He has a lot to overcome in terms of physicality, defensive play and skating. All of those things could hold him back. Personally, I'm a fan and I think his offense will translate, but that's just my dumb uneducated guess. And we can all guess, we'll only know once he signs ;)
I’d settle for him becoming the next Quinton Hughes. :)

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks for that. I'm glad we have final closure on Hutson now, and we can cross him off the list and move on.

Do you honestly think that much of your opinion that you have to give it, even though it adds absolutely nothing to the conversation?

I've added plenty to this thread and every thread involving Lane Hutson as to why I'm not a fan. And I don't need to explain it once again, which is what half this thread and every thread of this forum is made of; Users explaining the same opinion every month or so.

The other half is made up of users like you who don't read the thread and think they add something to it when they don't.

If you get this flustered by me posting a 5 word post, I wouldn't recommend you reading my history of posts about Lane Hutson, you might get an aneurysm buddy. I don't want that for you.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Whose a former or recent NHL player who plays similar to him? I haven’t gotten to see a lot of him.
Gaudreau is probably his closest comp oddly enough. Doesn't have the fluid skating of Hughes but his deceptiveness is unreal, puck protection is fantastic for such a small guy. Super exciting but sometimes misses the open man and overhandles himself out of a scoring chance. Defense is what it is, he's smart and a breakout machine but on the cycle he's never going to be perfect.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'm not sure if I have ever seen a thread that has so hyped up a prospect than this one. Boy if this kid starts off like Sean Farrell has when he reaches the NHL, that is going to be one huge bubble that is going to burst. I hope these expectations ( I know, we are praying he is that good ) actually don't greet Hutson in real life when he gets here.

Reactions: salbutera

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I'm not sure if I have ever seen a thread that has so hyped up a prospect than this one. Boy if this kid starts off like Sean Farrell has when he reaches the NHL, that is going to be one huge bubble that is going to burst. I hope these expectations ( I know, we are praying he is that good ) actually don't greet Hutson in real life when he gets here.
Interesting kid, but he still has a long way to go. It is amazing to watch his clips, I have never seen such contrast in skating. His edges are absolutely elite, but he switches to backwards skating, he looks like school boy.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Most people are tame in the expectations, the weird homer posters calling him Lidstrom or a sure fire star are the ones that need to chill. They also need to get off the main boards and stop making the fanbase look like idiots

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I guess he might get the same college retirement (abandonment, actually) gift that Farrell got - a couple of weeks in Montreal! - but otherwise I predict he will struggle to play any kind of rounded game in the AHL.

Reactions: themilosh

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I’d settle for him becoming the next Quinton Hughes. :)
Hughes is a much better and more effortless skater. While Hutson’s skating still remains awkward ( a hunched over, almost running on the ice style) he has, at least in this viewer’s opinion, become faster and more elusive. Some of the plays he made and goals he scored at last year’s WHC were eye-opening. And at the recent rookie camp he was the most dynamic player on the ice. Nevertheless, Hutson still needs to get faster and stronger to reach his hoped for potential at the next level. Its interesting to note that some here who express skepticism about Hutson’s ability to play in the NHL due to skating limitations (and size) are readily projecting Roy as a top six forward in the NHL when Roy’s skating limitations are equally if not more pronounced.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hughes is a much better and more effortless skater. While Hutson’s skating still remains awkward ( a hunched over, almost running on the ice style) he has, at least in this viewer’s opinion, become faster and more elusive. Some of the plays he made and goals he scored at last year’s WHC were eye-opening. And at the recent rookie camp he was the most dynamic player on the ice. Nevertheless, Hutson still needs to get faster and stronger to reach his hoped for potential at the next level. Its interesting to note that some here who express skepticism about Hutson’s ability to play in the NHL due to skating limitations (and size) are readily projecting Roy as a top six forward in the NHL when Roy’s skating limitations are equally if not more pronounced.
His skating doesn’t look bad to me. He seems more than capable of dominating at lower levels anyway.

I’ve heard his backwards skating’s an issue and I’m sure there are things for him to work on but Subban had a messed up way of skating and it didn’t hurt him.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
His skating doesn’t look bad to me. He seems more than capable of dominating at lower levels anyway.

I’ve heard his backwards skating’s an issue and I’m sure there are things for him to work on but Subban had a messed up way of skating and it didn’t hurt him.
Time will certainly tell.

Reactions: malcb33

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Time will certainly tell.
For what it’s worth, his skating is seen as a strength or at least it was going into his draft year.

His speed doesn’t seem to be a problem and he can definitely pivot well. Based on what I’ve seen (I’ve tried to watch as many clips as I can) his skating seems pretty good to me.

Edit: some scouts voice opinions on it here:

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
It's really hard not to fall in love with Hutson's game. If his style translate to the NHL we have ourselves a top 10 PP again. He's no general and I'm trying really hard to not get overly excited about Hutson.

Reactions: bopeep

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
ROTFLMFAO.

If he is too weak to play C in his own zone, how can he possibly play D in his own zone?
:huh:

I think you are entirely missing my point.

The initial poster suggested moving him to center partly to move him away from being exploited defensively. I pointed out that he would encounter many of the same issues at center and the only sensible option would be on the wing if you were indeed inclined to move him........so you see, we are in agreement.

I am usually quite happy to provide humour and brighten someone's day but I can't in good faith take credit for you ROTFALYAO, that is all on you tickling your own funny bone.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
:huh:

I think you are entirely missing my point.

The initial poster suggested moving him to center partly to move him away from being exploited defensively. I pointed out that he would encounter many of the same issues at center and the only sensible option would be on the wing if you were indeed inclined to move him........so you see, we are in agreement.

I am usually quite happy to provide humour and brighten someone's day but I can't in good faith take credit for you ROTFALYAO, that is all on you tickling your own funny bone.
no problemo

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's really hard not to fall in love with Hutson's game. If his style translate to the NHL we have ourselves a top 10 PP again. He's no general and I'm trying really hard to not get overly excited about Hutson.
Oh just get as excited as you want lol. We just have nice things now.

He’s been nothing but dynamic the whole time we’ve had him and he just gets better and better all the time.

He’s not prohibitively small and his skating has improved leaps and bounds.

When that elite a talent shows as much dedication as he has to get better, they’re not going to fail.

Markov was very very good but he had nowhere near the level of dynamism that Hutson has. He’s a very special talent and we’re lucky to have him. We’ll see how it translates but he’s certainly not going to bust and likely puts up massive numbers

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Most people are tame in the expectations, the weird homer posters calling him Lidstrom or a sure fire star are the ones that need to chill. They also need to get off the main boards and stop making the fanbase look like idiots
It's true, retain things should only be said within the family.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
For what it’s worth, his skating is seen as a strength or at least it was going into his draft year.

His speed doesn’t seem to be a problem and he can definitely pivot well. Based on what I’ve seen (I’ve tried to watch as many clips as I can) his skating seems pretty good to me.

Edit: some scouts voice opinions on it here:

Those guys are idiots.....all of them. Quoting them is no different than quoting your average enthusiastic hockey fan who knows next to nothing about scouting. That is all that these guys are.

It was no secret that his speed, especially relative to his size was an issue going into his draft year and cherry picking comments from fake scouts does not change anything.

Relying on uncredentialed bloggers/pod casters to tell you things that you want to hear despite obvious evidence to the contrary is exactly what is tearing society apart. I believe his speed likely will not be a problem as he has absolutely tiny legs and if he can build them up at all it won't take much to propel his tiny frame around the ice.

Defencemen can be very deceiving with their speed or lack thereof as they are often skating forwards with the puck when their opponents are static in the neutral zone. Subban always had below average speed but he exploited this scenario all of the time. The real test is when they are racing forwards back to their own end and both Subban and Hutson were/are no match for fast forwards in these scenarios and were dead in the water whenever they turned the puck over at the point.

Combine the fact that he was an entirely inept back skater and still struggles mightily with it really bludgeons the last iota of credibility out of these internet "scouts". It is true that he has some fantastic edge work but he does not have it 360 degrees and he is clearly working on it. It was difficult to tell if he was any faster from his last game as the competition was really poor but he quite literally for the first time that I have ever seen actually tried to defend from a back skate while driving his legs more than once. It wasn't pretty by any means but it was incredibly important that he is at least trying to apply what he is learning in game situations. If he continues to do so combined with gaining more lower body/core strength I truly believe that he will be fine and there will no longer be a need for people to invent their own facts in order for them to cope with things that bother them.

Hutson is an exciting prospect but he has some serious flaws that need to be addressed. You can't just confirmation bias them away for the purpose of feeling righteous on a message board as that has nothing to do with reality or engaging in an honest conversation.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Those guys are idiots.....all of them.
Here we go… :laugh:
Quoting them is no different than quoting your average enthusiastic hockey fan who knows next to nothing about scouting. That is all that these guys are.

It was no secret that his speed, especially relative to his size was an issue going into his draft year and cherry picking comments from fake scouts does not change anything.

Relying on others to tell you things that you want to hear despite obvious evidence to the contrary is exactly what is tearing society apart. I believe his speed likely will not be a problem as he has absolutely tiny legs and if he can build them up at all it won't take much to propel his tiny frame around the ice.

Defencemen can be very deceiving with their speed or lack thereof as they are often skating forwards with the puck when their opponents are static in the neutral zone. Subban always had below average speed but he exploited this scenario all of the time. The real test is when they are racing forwards back to their own end and both Subban and Hutson were/are no match for fast forwards in these scenarios and were dead in the water whenever they turned the puck over at the point.

Combine the fact that he was an entirely inept back skater and still struggles mightily with it really bludgeons the last iota of credibility out of these internet "scouts". It is true that he has some fantastic edge work but he does not have it 360 degrees and he is clearly working on it. It was difficult to tell if he was any faster from his last game as the competition was really poor but he quite literally for the first time that I have ever seen actually tried to defend from a back skate with driving his legs more than once. It wasn't pretty by any means but it was incredibly important that he is at least trying to apply what he is learning in game situations. If he continues to do so combined with gaining more lower body/core strength I truly believe that he will be fine and there will no longer be a need for people to invent their own facts in order for them to cope with thing that bother them.

Hutson is an exciting prospect but he has some serious flaws that need to be addressed. You can't just confirmation bias them away for the purpose of feeling righteous on a message board as that has nothing to do with reality or engaging in an honest conversation.
I don’t see anything wrong with his skating. However I don’t claim to be a scout and haven’t watched him as much as others. Tried to watch as much as I can but it’s mostly extended clips. One of those links I provided contains multiple scouts and there seems to be some mixed opinions on his skating. So no, they aren’t all idiots. Different people will have different opinions on players. Ultimately though , results count for a lot. He blew the cover off the ball last year and I don’t think skating was an issue then.

From what I can see, it’s not a problem. I continue to hear about issues skating backwards, no idea if that’s a real concern. But I remember people criticizing Subban’s mechanics and it was never a problem him him either.

Like everyone else here, I’ll hope his game translates to the NHL. We won’t know until he’s tested. In the meantime though, the best predictor of future success is past performance. We had a bunch of people doubting CC because he was too small, despite him breaking records. Now he’s got 48 goals in his last 83 games.

So I see every reason to be optimistic here.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Here we go… :laugh:

I don’t see anything wrong with his skating. However I don’t claim to be a scout and haven’t watched him as much as others. Tried to watch as much as I can but it’s mostly extended clips. One of those links I provided contains multiple scouts and there seems to be some mixed opinions on his skating. So no, they aren’t all idiots. Different people will have different opinions on players. Ultimately though , results count for a lot. He blew the cover off the ball last year and I don’t think skating was an issue then.

From what I can see, it’s not a problem. I continue to hear about issues skating backwards, no idea if that’s a real concern. But I remember people criticizing Subban’s mechanics and it was never a problem him him either.

Like everyone else here, I’ll hope his game translates to the NHL. We won’t know until he’s tested. In the meantime though, the best predictor of future success is past performance. We had a bunch of people doubting CC because he was too small, despite him breaking records. Now he’s got 48 goals in his last 83 games.

So I see every reason to be optimistic here.

The thing that separates real scouts from fake scouts who we are stuck having to tolerate is that they generally agree on things like skating because their expertise greatly diminishes the variance of subjective opinion on an objective fact.

The problem with having varying opinions on an objective fact is that some of those opinions are objectively wrong because the players skating is what it is and two competing opinions can not both be correct. There is an actual correct answer and you will find that there is much more consensus between real scouts than between fake scouts as their expertise limits the range of disagreement as their analysis not clouded with incompetence. Real scouts may disagree on a player's ability/likelihood of improving their skating but they are usually very close to being in complete agreement when watching a player skate live.

I had multiple debates with posters about Guhle's skating after we drafted him as I knew he was a very good skater but there were many others who felt that he was average at best because they had the opposite effect that Hutson has as Guhle didn't rush the puck a lot at the time and they did not have the ability to see the speed and mechanics in other situations. I would get frustrated when they would just distill our conversation to differing opinions, because they were obviously wrong.

I do agree that we should be optimistic about Hutson and my concerns are not an attempt to suggest that he has fatal flaws that he is unlikely to overcome.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The thing that separates real scouts from fake scouts who we are stuck having to tolerate is that they generally agree on things like skating because their expertise greatly diminishes the variance of subjective opinion on an objective fact.

The problem with having varying opinions on an objective fact is that some of those opinions are objectively wrong because the players skating is what it is and two competing opinions can not both be correct. There is an actual correct answer and you will find that there is much more consensus between real scouts than between fake scouts as their expertise limits the range of disagreement as their analysis not clouded with incompetence. Real scouts may disagree on a player's ability/likelihood of improving their skating but they are usually very close to being in complete agreement when watching a player skate live.

I had multiple debates with posters about Guhle's skating after we drafted him as I knew he was a very good skater but there were many others who felt that he was average at best because they had the opposite effect that Hutson has as Guhle didn't rush the puck a lot at the time and they did not have the ability to see the speed and mechanics in other situations. I would get frustrated when they would just distill our conversation to differing opinions, because they were obviously wrong.

I do agree that we should be optimistic about Hutson and my concerns are not an attempt to suggest that he has fatal flaws that he is unlikely to overcome.
I don’t take any singular source as an authority. But when you look at consensus I think it’s useful when you don’t get to see a player every day. The vast majority of us aren’t seeing his games. We’re seeing clips and highlights. So it’s good to get outside perspectives.

Personally, I haven’t seen an issue with his skating. Some scouts have said he lacks explosiveness to get to top gear… okay not something I’ve seen but good to take note of. Sometimes they’ll see something you don’t, esp when you’re not seeing him play every day.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don’t take any singular source as an authority. But when you look at consensus I think it’s useful when you don’t get to see a player every day. The vast majority of us aren’t seeing his games. We’re seeing clips and highlights. So it’s good to get outside perspectives.
Exactly. When the vast majority of sources are saying the same thing it is likely correct. If a players skating is rated good to blazing fast then you know he is at least a decent skater.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Exactly. When the vast majority of sources are saying the same thing it is likely correct. If a players skating is rated good to blazing fast then you know he is at least a decent skater.
You also can’t ignore the numbers. Again, the best indicator of future production is past success. It doesn’t always translate and he’ll have challenges others don’t due to his size but the numbers are really encouraging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad