Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He is well below average defensively and will never be even average unless his skating drastically improves and he has a miraculous growth spurt. If he was in the NHL today he would be the worst defender the league has seen in a very long time as they would blow by him on the rush, dominate him in the cornes and easily maintain body position on him in front of the net.
I respectfully disagree, if he was that bad defensively as you claim he is, he would have never won the hockey east championship with the highest +/- on his team and he would have 100% never made it to the WC for team USA. You over exaggerate his defensive flaws to counterpoint the enthusiasm of some fans about his potential and potential role with the habs.

Rarely, I have seen other pro players praise his game after playing with him at the WC.

Reactions: Redux91 and Beaker

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Speed won't be the determining factor for Roy as he doesn't play the game with his hair on fire. It will be dependant on adjustments that he makes to his approach and how much he needs to hold on to the puck as opposed to moving it quickly and looking for give and go's. If he develops chemistry with his linemates speed will be a non factor. He is already a better skater than Gallagher ever was and he is much smarter so he will already be headed in the right direction before all of the dumber but faster players lol.

You are entitled to have your opinion on the matter and Roy hasn't proven anything at the pro level yet but I am very confident that he is going to have a long NHL career as long as his attitude/conditioning continues to not be a problem. I am also confident that you would like me to be right on this one :thumbu:
We agree on two things: that Roy has yet to prove anything at the pro level and that I hope you are right about Roy’s upside. If you are, and Roy is able to overcome his skating limitations in an ever faster NHL game, Montreal will have scored a big win with this 5th round pick.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I respectfully disagree, if he was that bad defensively as you claim he is, he would have never won the hockey east championship with the highest +/- on his team and he would have 100% never made it to the WC for team USA. You over exaggerate his defensive flaws to counterpoint the enthusiasm of some fans about his potential and potential role with the habs.

Rarely, I have seen other pro players praise his game after playing with him at the WC.

None of these points are arguments as +/- means absolutely nothing when looking at an individual player. He was dominant offensively in the NCAA and spent little time defending but this does not entirely translate to the NHL. He could not skate backwards at all last season and can barely do it this season but has made some progress. I never once mentioned his defensive game in the NCAA as I only compared his current ability to how it would translate in the NHL and we watched him get absolutely embarrassed defensively at the worlds. He would be the smallest, weakest defenceman in the NHL today and he would be the worst back skater by multiple orders of magnitude. Claiming that he would be historically bad defensively in the NHL if he played right now was not an egregious counterpoint to the hyperbolic enthusiasm....it was just the truth. He isn't in the NHL right now and rightfully so and he has plenty of time to improve his game.

Other pro players and teammates aren't going to sh*t on his defensive game publicly lol as a 19 year old kid at the worlds. They were justifiably impressed as was I with many facets of his game.

He is a prospect and like all prospects who admit that they are not ready he has considerable work to do and I think that we can all agree that it is not on his offensive game. I have been steadfast in my assertion that I think he will fix his flaws enough that he will play in the NHL where he will be a dangerous offensive weapon who will require sheltered minutes 5 vs 5. That is far more likely to be closer to the truth then people declaring that he will be the next Makar or a top pairing dman who plays in all situations and against the opponents top lines. His usage will likely be as I described it and it will be situational as his 5 vs 5 reps will increase when the Habs are trailing and decrease when they are protecting the lead. He will get far more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts etc. None of this is rooted in emotion or bias but just rational thought and evidence based reasoning.

Reactions: Runner77

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
We agree on two things: that Roy has yet to prove anything at the pro level and that I hope you are right about Roy’s upside. If you are, and Roy is able to overcome his skating limitations in an ever faster NHL game, Montreal will have scored a big win with this 5th round pick.

I honestly hate disagreeing with you because you are clearly a good person, I don't always have the energy to take every precaution so as to not sound overly critical but I am very happy when we find common ground.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Recent sound bites from players tell me Defensemen will now join the rush more-so than we’ve been used to, with our defensive-minded forwards covering. Sounds like a style that plays right into Hutson’s strengths (and the current roster).

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I honestly hate disagreeing with you because you are clearly a good person, I don't always have the energy to take every precaution so as to not sound overly critical but I am very happy when we find common ground.
I was a trial lawyer for 30 years. How good a person could I be? If you paid me, I was your friend. Other professions had a different name for what I did.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Recent sound bites from players tell me Defensemen will now join the rush more-so than we’ve been used to, with our defensive-minded forwards covering. Sounds like a style that plays right into Hutson’s strengths (and the current roster).

It's more a situation of ability than strategy. The wave of our defensive prospects that are coming are mostly mobile and have both the speed to support the attack and, equally important, recover after joining same. We haven't had that capacity/ability since the late 1970's when our 'Big Three' ( always hated that moniker) were faster than most opposing forwards they faced. It was a huge luxury and was the cornerstone of our last dynasty.

Reactions: Naslundforever

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
So you are both wrong is you found a common ground, right ? :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Shred

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I was a trial lawyer for 30 years. How good a person could I be? If you paid me, I was your friend. Other professions had a different name for what I did.

I just wanted to say that as a long time, casual, often inebriated peruser of these Habs threads and GDTs, I appreciate reading your posts for your commentary and insight

Cheers! Keep it up!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Cam Robinson, a film scout with Elite Prospects, is pretty high on our boy Lane Hutson.

New article dropped this morning listing the top 50 defense prospects in hockey based on who would be the best to have in a keeper league (the article is fantasy based).

Tier 1 is generational. Nobody listed.

Tier 2 lists one player and is considered as having superstar potential, and that’s Luke Hughes.

Tier 3 consists of two players listed as having star potential. Brandt Clarke and Lane Hutson.

Tier 4 is first-pairing and first-PP upside and consists of 12 names highlighted by Kevin Korchinksi and Denton Meteychuk. Reinbacher is 9th in this tier and the 12th D ranked overall.

Kaiden Guhle is the 26th ranked D overall and in tier 5, ranked as a 2nd-pairing and 2nd-PP guy. Justin Barron (38) and Adam Engstrom (40) in this tier as well.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Cam Robinson, a film scout with Elite Prospects, is pretty high on our boy Lane Hutson.

New article dropped this morning listing the top 50 defense prospects in hockey based on who would be the best to have in a keeper league (the article is fantasy based).

Tier 2 lists one player and is considered as having superstar potential, and that’s Luke Hughes.

Tier 3 consists of two players listed as having star potential. Brandt Clarke and Lane Hutson.

Tier 4 is first-pairing and first-PP upside and consists of 12 names highlighted by Kevin Korchinksi and Denton Meteychuk. Reinbacher is 9th in this tier and the 12th D ranked overall.

Kaiden Guhle is the 26th ranked D overall and in tier 5, ranked as a 2nd-pairing and 2nd-PP guy. Justin Barron (38) and Adam Engstrom (40) in this tier as well.
I don’t know if I quite agree with those tier breakdowns.

I think Guhle has top pairing upside all day. He could very well end up being our #1 guy and I’m pretty bullish on all our top D prospects. Guhle’s offensive development curve has been very steep imo.

If you put a gun to my head I’d probably say Reinbacher would end up being our top guy but I think it’s a dog race between all 4 of our top D prospects.

I’d say Mailloux might be the longest shot out of the 4 but he’s impressed the hell out of me lately. So still the long shot but I don’t think he’s THAT far off. Crazy tools and has shown real commitment to getting better.

Our potential top 4 of Guhle, DB, Hutson and Mailloux has enormous potential. I’ve never seen anything like it in our org. Still have geriatric Matheson, Engstrom, Kony, Trudeau and a few others.

It’s a tremendous problem to have

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Jokes rankings pretty clear. Guhle is probably the best player on this ranking and he's ranked 26th lmao. He's already better than his projection at 21.

Dont support these hacks that don't know anything.

Reactions: cphabs and MadMslm

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Jokes rankings pretty clear. Guhle is probably the best player on this ranking and he's ranked 26th lmao. He's already better than his projection at 21.

Dont support these hacks that don't know anything.

I’m a big Guhle supporter, but you have him above the likes of Luke Hughes, Simon Nemec, David Jiricek, Brandt Clarke, Kevin Korchinski, Olen Zellweger, Denton Mateychuk, Pavel Mintyukov etc in terms of long term upside? I mean, if so I sure as hell would love for you to be right lol

Reactions: Runner77

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Not bad for 62 overall lol
I celebrated so hard in my car I almost got into a wreck lmao

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's more a situation of ability than strategy. The wave of our defensive prospects that are coming are mostly mobile and have both the speed to support the attack and, equally important, recover after joining same. We haven't had that capacity/ability since the late 1970's when our 'Big Three' ( always hated that moniker) were faster than most opposing forwards they faced. It was a huge luxury and was the cornerstone of our last dynasty.
I suspect that the next Cup-winning team will also be anchored on a mobile, two-way D with offensive prowess.

More so than relying on a generationnal G as we had hoped todo over the last 30 years, eager to find the new Roy.

A D-Corps as I imagine is being developed, with two shutdown Ds, that also have offensive upside, in Guhle and Reinbacher and two offensive Ds that hopefully dynamise the entire offense in Hutson and Mailloux, plus a complement of mobile Ds with sandpaper and size such as Xhekaj, Engstrom and Konyushkov, who also boast some offensve upside and a solid hockey IQ, looks to be a solid foundation for a roster heading forward.

A recent French CBC interview with Hughes gave some interesting (and obvious, when you think about it) insight into why Reinbacher was sent back to Europe rather than asked to stay with the Rocket in Laval.

Some argued it was just sheltering from the demanding environment inMontreal that should have been extended Slafkovsky before him, and KK before that, as well as Galchenyuk in a first instance.

Hughes talks about developing Reinbacher in Laval at the detriment of giving sufficient ice time to Mailloux, for whom I now gather that Montreal has genuine hopes.

It only makes sense that Mailloux should be the go-to option in Laval this year, while Reinbacher continues to develop with a team -- and in an environment -- where he had a worthwhile and accelerated progression last season.

There is no doubt, when listening to the ex-Hab that now coaches Kloten this season, that Reinbacher will be depended on to lead his team from the back end, in all game situations.

Reinbacher, back in the Swiss league this season, will get tons of TOI and be exposed to quality game situations that will challenge him and enable him to perfect his skills.

Reinbacher, back in the Swiss league this season, will also afford the same benefits for Mailloux, a player who, despite the obvious skill set, suffered greatly from limited games played and time on the ice over the past few seasons, both because of the suspension he received after his actions in Europe and the injuries he suffered along the way when he was finally allowed to play again.

Reinbacher playing tons of minutes with Kloten and Mailloux playing tons of minutes in Laval is the perfect way to avoid developing one prospect we have high hopes for at the expense of another prospect we also believe can play key role for the team.

Win-Win!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don’t know if I quite agree with those tier breakdowns.

I think Guhle has top pairing upside all day. He could very well end up being our #1 guy and I’m pretty bullish on all our top D prospects. Guhle’s offensive development curve has been very steep imo.

If you put a gun to my head I’d probably say Reinbacher would end up being our top guy but I think it’s a dog race between all 4 of our top D prospects.

I’d say Mailloux might be the longest shot out of the 4 but he’s impressed the hell out of me lately. So still the long shot but I don’t think he’s THAT far off. Crazy tools and has shown real commitment to getting better.

Our potential top 4 of Guhle, DB, Hutson and Mailloux has enormous potential. I’ve never seen anything like it in our org. Still have geriatric Matheson, Engstrom, Kony, Trudeau and a few others.

It’s a tremendous problem to have
I honestly think that, if that top-4 develops appropriately, it will define what Hughes ends up doing with the remaining D depth, simply because we will need cheaper 3rd pairing Ds to complete the D-Corps and stay under the Cap ceiling, even as it continues to rise over the upcoming seasons.

Hughes will probably decide to move some of the better remaining D prospects for a better return, satisfying himself with keeping steady, but unremarkable 3rd pairing Ds to even out the D-Corps.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trudeau and Struble, along with Xhekaj be the remaining Ds after that top-4, depending on how quickly they can be signed and for how cheap that can be?

Either that or Xhekaj gets traded if he can garner a solid return, either on his own or as part of a package deal.

Keep your interest peeled for the 2025 offseason, when Hughes might decide to package a few worthwhile prospects, along with serious draft capital (2 first rounders, two second rounders, two third rounders and two fourth rounders as picks already in bank).

The future is bright and Hughes has two years to develop and evaluate before being in a perfect situation to turbo-charge the roster with a high end forward as a welcome addition to the roster.

That's four picks to package while still drafting in those rounds, despite losing those quality picks. Whether the picks in all four first rounds end up being ours or those acquired from other teams will depend on the quality of the player we target at that point. So will the quality the prospects or veterans that we add the package.

A trade is inevitable, given that we have so many prospects for which we need to find TOI to develop properly in the coming years and so many accumulated draft picks.

Couple that with an actual need for elite talent to round out the roster into that of a contender and you have a perfect storm during the 2025 offseason.

GO HABS GO!

GO HUGHES GO!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I honestly think that, if that top-4 develops appropriately, it will define what Hughes ends up doing with the remaining D depth, simply because we will need cheaper 3rd pairing Ds to complete the D-Corps and stay under the Cap ceiling, even as it continues to rise over the upcoming seasons.

Hughes will probably decide to move some of the better remaining D prospects for a better return, satisfying himself with keeping steady, but unremarkable 3rd pairing Ds to even out the D-Corps.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trudeau and Struble, along with Xhekaj be the remaining Ds after that top-4, depending on how quickly they can be signed and for how cheap that can be?

Either that or Xhekaj gets traded if he can garner a solid return, either on his own or as part of a package deal.

Keep your interest peeled for the 2025 offseason, when Hughes might decide to package a few worthwhile prospects, along with serious draft capital (2 first rounders, two second rounders, two third rounders and two fourth rounders as picks already in bank).

The future is bright and Hughes has two years to develop and evaluate before being in a perfect situation to turbo-charge the roster with a high end forward as a welcome addition to the roster.

That's four picks to package while still drafting in those rounds, despite losing those quality picks. Whether the picks in all four first rounds end up being ours or those acquired from other teams will depend on the quality of the player we target at that point. So will the quality the prospects or veterans that we add the package.

A trade is inevitable, given that we have so many prospects for which we need to find TOI to develop properly in the coming years and so many accumulated draft picks.

Couple that with an actual need for elite talent to round out the roster into that of a contender and you have a perfect storm during the 2025 offseason.

GO HABS GO!

GO HUGHES GO!
Yeah we have way too many assets to not package them up and I think your timeline is accurate. It makes sense on many levels. We’ll have a better idea of how all these guys look by that time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m a big Guhle supporter, but you have him above the likes of Luke Hughes, Simon Nemec, David Jiricek, Brandt Clarke, Kevin Korchinski, Olen Zellweger, Denton Mateychuk, Pavel Mintyukov etc in terms of long term upside? I mean, if so I sure as hell would love for you to be right lol
Not above Jiricek and Nemec but the rest, yes. And Id say he's about equal to the former two.

He's already really close to a top 15 D, and Im pretty sure he scratches the top 15 this year. Guhle was on pace for 25 primary 5v5 points on a 82 games season.

That would've given him enough primary points to rank amongst the top 15 of the best offensive defender in the whole NHL. All of that, on a bad team, with low offensive opportunity and while being a rookie.

His reputation follows him around as a bruising 2nd pair D, but he's completely exploded these expectations, it should be clear as day to anyone that watches him.

Somehow St-Louis won't use him on the PP but will use Matheson who's played under a minute of PP per game in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad