Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Seems like he always have the puck on his stick in the offensive zone.

And some filthy, filthy mitts Hutson has to keep possession of the puck even under duress.

He was pressured heavily at nearly all times (except PP, with more space) when he had the puck in the offensive zone (was clearly gameplanned against), and yet he made defenders miss 95% of the time, and recovered well every time he lost possession, or made an errant pass.

To be clear, there were some plays that he made out there that I didn't like at all this game. And I thought on quite a few of his shifts that he could have distributed the puck faster and more efficiently, but that's me being nitpicky there.

Simple fact of the matter is that Hutson running around roughshod with the puck on his stick, routinely beating his defenders 1-on-1, opened up tons of space for his teammates so that was a positive trade-off all things considered, moreso given the fact that he was still solid defensively despite all the risks he took offensively.

As an aside, Macklin Celebrini impressed the hell out of me too in his first real game for BU at the NCAA level. At the end of the game he took over entire shifts against Bentley with insanely high-skill puck-possession, strength, speed, smarts, and more. I really hope we manage to luck-out and draft him in 2024.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Made some bad plays but recovered on most.

Of course 3rd period with the game on the line is when he just creates chance after chance as per usual.

He looks bigger, stronger, the skating seems smoother. Seems like he doesn't quite have to work so hard to skate fast.

Looked a tad rusty at times but my god. It's like awesome, Guhle, Reinbacher and Mailloux look like they have elite potential. sweet. But then you see captain camp no show (I know I know) and he looks as skilled as anyone ever back there. You mean we have this guy too?!? Lol.

He just gets better every time I see him. Noticeably. No telling how good he can be.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
And some filthy, filthy mitts Hutson has to keep possession of the puck even under duress.

He was pressured heavily at nearly all times (except PP, with more space) when he had the puck in the offensive zone (was clearly gameplanned against), and yet he made defenders miss 95% of the time, and recovered well every time he lost possession, or made an errant pass.

To be clear, there were some plays that he made out there that I didn't like at all this game. And I thought on quite a few of his shifts that he could have distributed the puck faster and more efficiently, but that's me being nitpicky there.

Simple fact of the matter is that Hutson running around roughshod with the puck on his stick, routinely beating his defenders 1-on-1, opened up tons of space for his teammates so that was a positive trade-off all things considered, moreso considering that he was still solid defensively despite all the risks he took offensively.

As an aside, Macklin Celebrini impressed the hell out of me too in his first real game for BU at the NCAA level. At the end of the game he took over entire shifts against Bentley with insanely high-skill puck-possession, strength, speed, smarts, and more. I really hope we manage to luck-out and draft him in 2024.
That's "Habs prospect" Macklin Celebrini for you. A little respect please :laugh:

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

This kid is something. It's like he was in every highlight in this vid. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, he's clearly the straw that stirs the drink for his squad. He's special, he's their QB whenever he's on the ice, not just the PP.

He looks noticeably bigger (atleast to me) on the ice.

Hobey Baker incoming?

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
This kid is something. It's like he was in every highlight in this vid. :sarcasm:

Serioulsly though, he's clearly the straw that stirs the drink for his squad. He's special, he's their QB whenever he's on the ice, not just the PP.

He looks noticeably bigger (atleast to me) on the ice.

Hobey Baker incoming?
To be honest he should have won the Hobey Baker last year (or at least got a nomination). He was 17 points off from Fantilli as a freshman defensemen. There have been many 65 point NCAA forwards and freshman but few 48 point dmen. Even as a freshman Fantilli had the 22nd best NCAA season (third best in recent times). Hutson was 8 points ahead of the modern era record holder in Fox and 9 ahead of Hughes. 12 ahead of the next best in Werenski. Only 5 points away from Matt Carle's 53 points which is the highest of any dman in the modern (post-00's) era. 1 point off of Makar's Baker-winning sophomore season. 1 ahead of Brian Leetch's freshman season. There were two u-19 guys that beat that in the 70's but you I'd imagine the competition was much worse then. Maybe I am biased though.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
He really does look bigger faster stronger.

He straight up reminds me of Makar when I watch him play, he was dominating.

We gon be stacked on D, can't see Hutson being a bust. And then you have Guhle, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Xhakej, etc. Gawd damn.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I see all of the "he looks bigger and faster" comments have already started lol.

He is still tiny and does not look any bigger than when he was measured in July. He was playing against a terrible team which may be why people are making these claims.

It isn't a big deal as he will always be at a huge disadvantage from a size/strength perspective so there is no point even speculating on whether he grows an inch of gains a few pounds. He needs to get faster and continue to work on his back skating. His IQ, hands, passing and edges are off the charts and they will be the elements of his game that he will rely on to become a special player. His straight ahead speed and back skating just need to get better in order to allow his strengths to translate to the NHL.

His passing is incredible as he knows how/when to throw a stiff pass but he also has an arsenal of saucer/lob passes that hit the perfect landing spots at the perfect pace. He does take too many risks and forces some dangerous passes but he is aware that they are dangerous and I suspect he will alter his risk taking when he plays against better competition. It is not the same as Slaf throwing the puck blindly into traffic or passing cross crease to nobody at all. Lane knows exactly what he is doing at all times and is a ton of fun to watch at the college level.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
I see all of the "he looks bigger and faster" comments have already started lol.

He is still tiny and does not look any bigger than when he was measured in July. He was playing against a terrible team which may be why people are making these claims.

It isn't a big deal as he will always be at a huge disadvantage from a size/strength perspective so there is no point even speculating on whether he grows an inch of gains a few pounds. He needs to get faster and continue to work on his back skating. His IQ, hands, passing and edges are off the charts and they will be the elements of his game that he will rely on to become a special player. His straight ahead speed and back skating just need to get better in order to allow his strengths to translate to the NHL.

His passing is incredible as he knows how/when to throw a stiff pass but he also has an arsenal of saucer/lob passes that hit the perfect landing spots at the perfect pace. He does take too many risks and forces some dangerous passes but he is aware that they are dangerous and I suspect he will alter his risk taking when he plays against better competition. It is not the same as Slaf throwing the puck blindly into traffic or passing cross crease to nobody at all. Lane knows exactly what he is doing at all times and is a ton of fun to watch at the college level.
He would be a great centerman.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Whose a former or recent NHL player who plays similar to him? I haven’t gotten to see a lot of him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Whose a former or recent NHL player who plays similar to him? I haven’t gotten to see a lot of him.

There aren't any at his current size but Adam Fox is the closest comparison that I can think of. There are similarities stylistically with Makar and Quinn Hughes but they are much faster and Makar is significantly bigger/stronger.

If he makes it he will be very unique......except for his brother who looks even better as he is a better skater and stronger on his skates but plays an identical style.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Does saying Patrick Kane type skills but as a defenceman count? lol

That is a lot closer to Makar.

Hutson is more of a Mike Ribeiro playing D imo. Ribs was taller but skinny a/f

These comparisons never work and if he makes it he will create a player type that will be referenced in the future for other small, dynamic dman who aren't necessarily fast.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There aren't any at his current size but Adam Fox is the closest comparison that I can think of. There are similarities stylistically with Makar and Quinn Hughes but they are much faster and Makar is significantly bigger/stronger.

If he makes it he will be very unique......except for his brother who looks even better as he is a better skater and stronger on his skates but plays an identical style.
Literally, Hughes, Spurgeon and Girard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad