Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
It is fine for players to make mistakes.

The problem is when a player has a flaw that other teams can exploit.

He needs to improve his backskating, because of he doesn't, he will always get beat by speed to the outside and sequences like this will happen.

Opposing teams will know to go to his side when he is on the ice in order to exploit him.

This has nothing to do with mistakes. It's a limitation.

It may be fine during the regular season when he will cost you some and get you some, but you don't play this kind of player in a game 7 of playoffs.

That being said, because a bunch of oversensitive people on this forum will jump on this if I don't mention it, I do believe that he will make those improvements to become at least adequate in the coming years.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
It is fine for players to make mistakes.

The problem is when a player has a flaw that other teams can exploit.

He needs to improve his backskating, because of he doesn't, he will always get beat by speed to the outside and sequences like this will happen.

Opposing teams will know to go to his side when he is on the ice in order to exploit him.

This has nothing to do with mistakes. It's a limitation.

It may be fine during the regular season when he will cost you some and get you some, but you don't play this kind of player in a game 7 of playoffs.

That being said, because a bunch of oversensitive people on this forum will jump on this if I don't mention it, I do believe that he will make those improvements to become at least adequate in the coming years.
Getting beat like that today is the best thing that could have happened to him in the long run. It'll make him work twice as hard for this never to happen again.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
I'll take PK Subban over Shea Weber every time.

Take from this comment what you will... :laugh:
Prior to the injury that saw him carted off the ice on a stretcher, the last time he would ever lace up his skates for the Canadiens, unironically, I would do just that.

That and other injuries accumulating in his later years contributed to the precipitous drop in his performance.

Weber was just never particularly good and overrated due to playing a "rugged Canadian" game. 🤫

• Haha
Reactions: Vachon23

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Prior to the injury that saw him carted off the ice on a stretcher, the last time he would ever lace up his skates for the Canadiens, unironically, I would do just that.

That and other injuries accumulating in his later years contributed to the precipitous drop in his performance.

Weber was just never particularly good and overrated due to playing a "rugged Canadian" game. 🤫
Yeah Subban’s injuries ultimately led to an early end to a great career. But he did have some great seasons in Nashville. Best player on that team in their run and scored the opening goal of the cup final - only to have it called back on a video offside.

Like Price, PK’s numbers actually went UP in the playoffs. Two big game players and we never supported them. What a freaking waste.

Anyways, Hutson is a puck possession blueliner. He’s going to make big mistakes, they all do. But I guess that doesn’t mean there aren’t things he cant work on. Good news is there’s lots of time. Glad he’s not being rushed.

Jul 6, 2016
Ridiculous tweet...sometimes it's ok to just be a fan, you don't always have to put on your “coach” hat and evaluate every single shift.

Let's take a broader view...he’s 19 years old and really probably shouldn't even be at this tournament.

But there he is on the ice in a crucial moment and even worthy enough to be put on the ice in that circumstance.

Shit happens in hockey, there will be times when he's making other players look silly.
#19 was not bright too on that play.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Sorry - Lane Hutson didn’t make a “mistake” on his coverage - he kept the player to the outside and the goalie let in an absolute stinker. Short of taking away the puck, allowing the player to take the shot from a restrained angle is not a mistake.

The criticism seems so much harsher than compliments here.

Reactions: SlafySZN and Habnot

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Sorry - Lane Hutson didn’t make a “mistake” on his coverage - he kept the player to the outside and the goalie let in an absolute stinker. Short of taking away the puck, allowing the player to take the shot from a restrained angle is not a mistake.

The criticism seems so much harsher than compliments here.
Apparently, he was supposed to not allow the shot. :naughty:

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

lol Weber’s one of the best goal scoring D ever and went out like a heckin warrior with us. Dude’s tenure with us was riddled with injuries. One of the finest captains I ever saw with us.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
He’s not flawless. I have yet to see such a prospect in my seventy years of watching this sport. But his upside is enormous as his play in this tournament has shown.
Facts, everyone has things to work on. I just found it funny that Twitter user has probably been crying himself to sleep every night after having to constantly watch crazy hutson Highlights on a weekly basis haha. I'm sure he's been dying to see lane slip up

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I'll take PK Subban over Shea Weber every time.

Take from this comment what you will... :laugh:
I agree that Webber never was comfortable live on TV. Subban always have been entertaining and you could see that he was going to end his hockey career soon, because it wasn't his first passion. :neener:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why was Hutson skating back like a forward would on that goal? I am not being critical but that looked odd.

This is exactly what I have been saying but get shouted down by a horde of sycophants who choose to overlook all of the good things that I say about him. Facts are not important to the mob, just affirming a confirmation bias within their own echo chamber is their only goal.

I am confident that he will fix this and be an impact player in Montreal....now let's wait for the mob to ignore this sentence and attack me despite being right.

Reactions: SOLR

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Why was Hutson skating back like a forward would on that goal? I am not being critical but that looked odd.
Good question about toes first tactic here…..

I’ll say this : Get used to it.

We’re seeing more and more defensemen defending with forward skating and angling. It’s a more aggressive approach to dictate the play. Should be used if you have back pressure - which he had. Having said that, it’s a skill that has to be honed, and Hutson didn’t play this one well.

He could have been caught off guard by the speed the forward generated with the clean zone exit. The German player’s been compared to Carl Hagelin. Probably faster than what the kid is used to.

Speed is the number one asset that Tiffels brings to the game. He's incredibly difficult to handle in one-on-one situations because of he has the ability to vary his speed, making it difficult for the defenseman to gap him, before hitting an extra gear and blowing by a defenseman.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
This is exactly what I have been saying but get shouted down by a horde of sycophants who choose to overlook all of the good things that I say about him. Facts are not important to the mob, just affirming a confirmation bias within their own echo chamber is their only goal.

I am confident that he will fix this and be an impact player in Montreal....now let's wait for the mob to ignore this sentence and attack me despite being right.
You do realize that it's 3on3 right?

You don't just wait for the other team to attack while being in a backward skating position while 3on3...

Reactions: SlafySZN

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You do realize that it's 3on3 right?

You don't just wait for the other team to attack while being in a backward skating position while 3on3...

What are you talking about?

That couldn't be more wrong. So you are implying that dmen don't back skate in 3 on 3 situations? Lane defended like a forward like he always does in these situations and got turned by inside/outside fakes because he was not in a proper back skating defensive posture. Who said anything about sitting back and waiting for the other team to attack? Lane was supposed to maintain gap control and pivot to a back skate and use back crossovers while reamaining square to the attacker. This makes the inside/outside moves far less effective and gives Lane an exponentially greater chance of disrupting the attacker. These are the most basic principles of defending a 1 on 1 and is why forwards get annihilated much like Lane did because they don't pivot and use back crossovers well enough to keep up with the attacker.

I honestly don't even know why this is a conversation that needs to take place.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad