Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There is no doubt that the kid has a unique set of skills. Awesome passer. Great agility despite ordinairy skating technique.

but he still has to defend in the NHL. He'd at least have to outsmart people. He will have to to compensate for other things. What we saw in the GWG is not the first time it happened. Another College year to work on that.

Reactions: HomaridII

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
iu

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I really hope he is very aware at how much better he needs to become at defending 1v1 while looking forward (aka backskating). Hopefully he realizes why now. He has tremendous potential, but that was a pathetic sequence...
Pathetic is a strong word as the shooter was still pushed to a bad angle shot where a save is expected from your goalie.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
The "I told you so moment" the naysayers have been waiting for.

The kid is 19 years old and has plenty of time to work on his weaknesses and round out his game. His error on this play still doesn't change that he's super dynamic and likely has the highest ceiling of any of our current prospects.

From a fan base that has watched some extremely poor defending from "offensive" type D-men in the last decade (MAB, Gustafsson, Mete, etc.) it's wild to me that some people want to pull him apart and focus on his weaknesses, instead of being excited about his potential.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
There is no doubt that the kid has a unique set of skills. Awesome passer. Great agility despite ordinairy skating technique.

but he still has to defend in the NHL. He'd at least have to outsmart people. He will have to to compensate for other things. What we saw in the GWG is not the first time it happened. Another College year to work on that.
Habs need him to be able to defend. He can still be an NHL player without any defense at all. See Keith Yandle.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Great, an "I told you so moment" the naysayers have been waiting for.

The kid is 19 years old and has plenty of time to work on his weaknesses and round out his game. His error on this play still doesn't change that he's super dynamic and likely has the highest ceiling of any of our current prospects.
There are no naysayers. Everybody loves Hutson as a prospect. But some people are so insanely over the moon and erratic in their comments that they fail to see the flaws.

Being able to point out flaws is a very important part of improving.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
There are no naysayers. Everybody loves Hutson as a prospect. But some people are so insanely over the moon and erratic in their comments that they fail to see the flaws.

We all know he's not Weber in his own zone, I don't think there's a need for comments that tell us how pathetic he looks out there every time he makes a mistake while defending.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
We all know he's not Weber in his own zone, I don't think there's a need for comments that tell us how pathetic he looks out there every time he makes a mistake while defending.
Is he your little brother or something? You are very sensitive on the matter.

I didn't call him pathetic as a player (quite the contrary, he is in many ways extraordinary), but this sequence was a little sad in nature as it is not something you want to see a defenseman doing at this level of play, but everyone is very sympathetic to him because we like him and he is a Habs prospect.

Now, go look at the definition of pathetic and tell me this is not the right word to describe this specific situation.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

I didn't call him pathetic as a player (quite the contrary, he is in many ways extraordinary), but this sequence was a little sad in nature as it is not something you want to see a defenseman doing at this level of play, but everyone is very sympathetic to him because we like him and he is a Habs prospect.

Now, go look at the definition of pathetic and tell me this is not the right word to describe this specific situation.
1650072517419.png

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

It's 3on3 they play man-on-man, It's not your typical 5on5 defending.

He was getting beat speed-wise, it was too late for him to start skating backward. The guy would've beaten him to the outside and cut straight to the net.

You could argue that he made the right play in that situation as the shooter was still pushed to the outside.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

I doubt he and his coaches doesn’t know his own flaws. He’s not reading HFboards or twitter for that.

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
I really hope he is very aware at how much better he needs to become at defending 1v1 while looking forward (aka backskating). Hopefully he realizes why now. He has tremendous potential, but that was a pathetic sequence...
Geez, the very best players make mistakes…people need to chill.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
lmao every star defenseman gets burned once in a while. Yall are bipolar and need to stop tripping. We have two top 5 offensive defenseman prospects in hockey and you guys still find something to complain about. Pathetic.

Who's the second one? Mailloux? Engström?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Ridiculous tweet...sometimes it's ok to just be a fan, you don't always have to put on your “coach” hat and evaluate every single shift.

Let's take a broader view...he’s 19 years old and really probably shouldn't even be at this tournament.

But there he is on the ice in a crucial moment and even worthy enough to be put on the ice in that circumstance.

Shit happens in hockey, there will be times when he's making other players look silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad