Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't get why a player can't bulk up in Laval. The AHL has both fewer games and less travel than the NHL.

There might also be a benefit to having Roy, Kidney, Mailloux, etc all together at the same time.

The travel in the AHL is by bus, often overnight. Players often don't get good sleep. And they still play what 72 games? That's still almost double the number of NCAA games.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It’s not a coincidence he gets minimal ice time in big tournaments despite being quite decisive offensively.
Nah,
It's actually because he was freshly drafted and 18 in a 19 year old tournament on a team that had Luke Hughes eating all the LD minutes.

And do I really have to defend the notion that a 19 yr old in a tourney featuring players aged 20-40 and most with NHL experience isn't getting 20 minutes a game in the top pairing...?
Like really? It's amazing he's even f***ing there dude..lol

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Watching both Edmonton and Finland struggle without a dman who can make moves to create and exploit gaps in coverage, I can't help but think that Lane could have a big impact for our team someday.

Reactions: Redux91

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think he can be better defensively but he’s certainly not Mailloux back there. People seem to think they’re the same back there. They’re not.

He’s got a pretty good active stick. He absorbs forechecks well. He’s gonna be fine.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Don't really care about his point totals next year, I'm hoping he focuses on his athleticism more. He's proven he can be a dynamo offensively.
This kid’s ability to create time and space for himself will, in itself, allow him to be a star at the next level. His edge skating and ability to accelerate off the turn is a grand sight to these old eyes. In several years there will be 30 teams questioning themselves as to why they passed up an opportunity to draft a transformational player. They are perhaps already asking themselves.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Fans better start learning to accept Hutson will be the poster boy for MSLs “concept game” - he will play D as a rover

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I have. He's not going to be Shea Weber moving guys, but if he was lost in the defensive zone, he wouldn't know when to be around the net, which he does

I'm sorry but that is a terrible explanation of why you believe that he is a good defender.

I think he is going to be a special player but it is unlikely that he will even be an average defender. He will need his smarts to compensate as best he can for his inability to play in front of the net and to win board battles in the NHL. He still can't defend from a back skating posture and sometimes he gets away with it and sometimes he does not.....his success rate with this approach will be much lower at the NHL level. I hear people on here raving about his defensive stick but it is also a weakness because he simply doesn't have any reach and isn't able to defend enough ice because of it. He is very effective with his stick for his size but relative to the average NHL dman it will be a weakness.

As long as he will be able to do special things with the puck on his stick in the NHL and create more than he gives up he will be fine. This of course is contingent on him improving his backskating to the point where he can defend while doing crossovers which he has almost entirely refused to do so far. I am certain that he will make this adjustment and you have to love his compete level as he works his ass off in the dzone. I have seen enough improvement this season to feel quite confident that Hutson will find a way to make a significant impact with the Habs at some point.

I suspect if he was significantly bigger he would ne a nasty SOB on the ice as he has some real fire in him. He is going to be fun to watch develop as his trajectory is really impressive and if it continues he is going to win a Hobey Baker next season imo.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This kid’s ability to create time and space for himself will, in itself, allow him to be a star at the next level. His edge skating and ability to accelerate off the turn is a grand sight to these old eyes. In several years there will be 30 teams questioning themselves as to why they passed up an opportunity to draft a transformational player. They are perhaps already asking themselves.

It will be really interesting to see how high his brother Cole is drafted next season as he is virtually a carbon copy of Lane. We will find out exactly how much they regret passing on him if Cole has a huge year like Lane did and he ends up going really high.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
It will be really interesting to see how high his brother Cole is drafted next season as he is virtually a carbon copy of Lane. We will find out exactly how much they regret passing on him if Cole has a huge year like Lane did and he ends up going really high.
Yeah, Cole should be taken around 10-15, if not it’s another steal.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In an article published earlier today, Montreal Gazette reports Lane Hutson as 5'10 and 165 pounds now, according to his BU coach Jay Pandolfo.
While I'm skeptical of a player's coach giving height information, he does look 5'10 out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad