Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Defensemen so far at the worlds

Screenshot-20230524-193618-Samsung-Internet.jpg

There's only one teenager in the top 30 Ds at the tourny.

Kid is gonna be special

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

worth the watch

It’s interesting he mentions “position-less hockey”, that’s become the key focus of US hockey development programs - they preach that non stop to my boys. Stems from a belief, one way to enhance a player’s ability to read and stay involved in the play, and gain creativity as well as hockey sense, is position-less hockey.

It’s also something Hughes preached when he coached Boston Jr Eagles program, and MSL in the Fairfield county / Jr Rangers programs here in CT - hence MSLs “concept” vs station-to-station system game.

TBay & Leafs have toyed with it over last couple of seasons

Last edited:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It’s interesting he mentions “position-less hockey”, that’s become the key focus of US hockey development programs - they preach that non stop to my boys. Stems from a belief, one way to enhance a player’s ability to read and stay involved in the play, and gain creativity as well as hockey sense, is position-less hockey.

It’s also something Hughes preached when he coached Boston Jr Eagles program, and MSL in the Fairfield county / Jr Rangers programs here in CT - hence MSLs “concept” vs station-to-station system game.

TBay & Leafs have toyed with it over last couple of seasons
Leafs and TB?
Let’s go further back and look at the Russian 5 in Detroit (or further back still with the Green Unit).

Positionless hockey? Konstantinov used to get a ton of breakaways. Also, he was always low in the o-zone passing *back* towards the point to federov. They were masters of some of MSL’s concepts like “fill the space regardless of position”, “D toe caps go in, F toe caps go out”.

There’s a reason Federov was so comfortable when they stuck him on defense. :)

In any event, you might be interested in this article I stumbled on recently. Relevant to this thread.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Leafs and TB?
Let’s go further back and look at the Russian 5 in Detroit (or further back still with the Green Unit).

Positionless hockey? Konstantinov used to get a ton of breakaways. Also, he was always low in the o-zone passing *back* towards the point to federov. They were masters of some of MSL’s concepts like “fill the space regardless of position”, “D toe caps go in, F toe caps go out”.

In any event, you might be interested in this article I stumbled on recently. Relevant to this thread.

The NHL will remain position specialized unless they change some specific rules.

Players will simply be more versatile, but we're a looong way from positionless hockey.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Leafs and TB?

Yup - but Leafs & TBay have been the only NHL teams to have tried implementing recently albeit very sporadically

Thanks for the link

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The NHL will remain position specialized unless they change some specific rules.

Players will simply be more versatile, but we're a looong way from positionless hockey.
It depends what someone means when they say “positionless”.

Sometimes, usually in the context of youth hockey, it means there are no set positions. Players roll in one door and out the other. Positionless in the most literal sense.

Other times people use the term to describe what we see today - when position switches are temporary … say, when a D jumps ahead on the rush, high roll, etc.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It depends what someone means when they say “positionless”.

Sometimes, usually in the context of youth hockey, it means there are no set positions. Players roll in one door and out the other. Positionless in the most literal sense.

Other times people use the term to describe what we see today - when position switches are temporary … say, when a D jumps ahead on the rush, high roll, etc.
I notice with the under 14-kids here, positionless is a move to hybrid positions on the ice to force hockey IQ development, it’s actually quite amazing to watch young kids brains ability to adapt at the rate they do va what we see with young kids all chasing the puck

Hutson went through that while playing for the North Jersey Avalanche elite program

Reactions: Tuggy and Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I notice with the under 14-kids here, positionless is a move to hybrid positions on the ice to force hockey IQ development, it’s actually quite amazing to watch young kids brains ability to adapt at the rate they do va what we see with young kids all chasing the puck

Hutson went through that while playing for the North Jersey Avalanche elite program
That’s awesome. Love it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i know Hutson is commited to BU for next year but do u guys think he signs with us when hes season ends or does he go back for another year
I would lean towards him signing but we'll see where his game is at by when his NCAA season ends. Would be sick to see him get a few games with the Habs in April if BU isn't Frozen Four bound.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
2023 WJC 7 GP 1 G 3 A 4 PTS
2023 WC 7 GP 2 G 4 A 6 PTS

It's amusing seeing 19 yr old Hutson outproduce his punk ass still green behind the ears 18 yr old self from the World Juniors :laugh:

... he can even.. look down at him too :D

Can he skate backwards though? I once saw a drill where he stumbled going in reverse and I refuse to check out the hours of free video on @montreal 's super deadly YouTube channel.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
i know Hutson is commited to BU for next year but do u guys think he signs with us when hes season ends or does he go back for another year

I think it will depend on how where he is strength/size wise. But, from all the evidence he wants to turn pro as soon as possible. If his development curve is anything like this past year, he should be ready.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
2023 WJC 7 GP 1 G 3 A 4 PTS
2023 WC 7 GP 2 G 4 A 6 PTS

It's amusing seeing 19 yr old Hutson outproduce his punk ass still green behind the ears 18 yr old self from the World Juniors :laugh:

... he can even.. look down at him too :D
Shades of Makar playing as the 7th D for Canada in 2018.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Just been stat watching, how is Lane Hutson getting so many points while playing only 10 minutes per game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad