Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Skating, skating is all I keep reading about our prospects. I don't buy it. You just don't put up those kind of points (Hudson, Roy, Farrell) if you're a bad skater. I don't care how talented you are. I'm sure their skating is good enough. Of course, they can improve it, but calling it a problem doesn't seem accurate.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Some people have said that "he literally can't skate backwards".
It followed a training camp vid where he apparently could not. I figured he was trying a weird ”Subban reverse-edge shuffle” and looking bad at it.

He sure looks comfortable on offense though lol.

Haha found the culprit vid

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I’m pretty good at tempering expectations on prospects, but sometimes I don’t know what to think of Hutson.

He had an incredible rookie season, and he’s still on roll. He’s such a deceptive player and with his skills it’s hard to not see him have some success.

I believe he will always have problems under sustained pressure in his zone. But his ability to retrieve the puck and get out will determine if he’ll have a career or not.

The better he will be on offense, the less he will need to play defence and the higher chance he’ll get to have a career in the NHL.

It’s a bit like Barron, when it’s a one and done he can easily help transition out of the zone, but under sustained pressure you see him flop around and be horrible in his zone.

Barron is great skater and has an amazing outlet pass, but he doesn’t have Hutson’s hands and deceptiveness.

Can’t wait to see him in the show, and how he handles the pressure from NHL players.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’m pretty good at tempering expectations on prospects, but sometimes I don’t know what to think of Hutson.

He had an incredible rookie season, and he’s still on roll. He’s such a deceptive player and with his skills it’s hard to see him have some success.

I believe he will always have problems under sustained pressure in his zone. But his ability to retrieve the puck and get out will determine if he’ll have a career or not.

The better he will be on offense, the less he will need to play defence and the higher chance he’ll get to have a career in the NHL.

It’s a bit like Barron, when it’s a one and done he can easily help transition out of the zone, but under sustained pressure you see him flop around and be horrible in his zone.

Barron is great skater and has an amazing outlet pass, but he doesn’t have Hutson’s hands and deceptiveness.

Can’t wait to see him in the show, and how he handles the pressure from NHL players.

I'm hyped about Hutaon and look forward to seeing him in the NHK.

But I hope he spends too more years in the NCAA to bulk up. That way, he'll only start burning years off of his entry level deal once he's bulked up and more developed. Will help to contend in 3 to 5 years to have Lane on his entry level cap hit.

Reactions: jaffy27 and MadMslm

JT3

May 27, 2013
Skating, skating is all I keep reading about our prospects. I don't buy it. You just don't put up those kind of points (Hudson, Roy, Farrell) if you're a bad skater. I don't care how talented you are. I'm sure their skating is good enough. Of course, they can improve it, but calling it a problem doesn't seem accurate.
The problem is that most people consider 'average skating' as 'bad' skating. And when people think of 'good' skating, they think of the literal best skaters around. Makar, Matheson, Barzal, etc.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Based on what? We're not even sure his bone growth is over. Did you observe him , measure his bones, structure and thickness?

I can tell by looking at him i video and photos. I know what my frame looked like at 19 (I also didn't stop growing until I was 19).

I gained 40lbs of muscle between 17 and 21. Most of it between the ages of 17 and 19. And even at my scrawniest as an adult at 18 when I was about 160-165 I looked bigger than Hutson.

It's not impossible for him to get to 195 - 200lbs but if he did it would likely be too much muscle for his frame and negatively affect his skating.

Depends on the frame, not just height.

You also have to wonder if getting to 190-200 is even something he'd want to do. Realistically, Hutson needs to play at a weight that allows him to play his game. He doesn't need to be build like Boullion, he needs to be able to keep his mobility and shiftiness.

Most guys his height and with an even remotely play style are nowhere near 190-200 lbs.

Like I said above, I was between 195-200lbs at 5'10 in my early 20's and was very fit. But I was a built like a tank from working construction on weekends/summers during university + 10hours/week in the gym.

It's a lot of weight, for hutson I think it would be too much even if he could carry it. And would almost certainly negatively affect his skating.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The problem is that most people consider 'average skating' as 'bad' skating. And when people think of 'good' skating, they think of the literal best skaters around. Makar, Matheson, Barzal, etc.

skating for me is tough, I can see good and bad but I was a terrible skater as I started on roller blades back in the late '80's and didn't hit the ice till I was 13 or 14.

I think many look at the CHL and think someone is a good skater because they are comparing them to junior players and not NHLers. Which isn't totally fair since adding lower body strength helps fix some issues for players but it can take a few years to build up the strength.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I can tell by looking at him i video and photos. I know what my frame looked like at 19 (I also didn't stop growing until I was 19).

I gained 40lbs of muscle between 17 and 21. Most of it between the ages of 17 and 19. And even at my scrawniest as an adult at 18 when I was about 160-165 I looked bigger than Hutson.

It's not impossible for him to get to 195 - 200lbs but if he did it would likely be too much muscle for his frame and negatively affect his skating.

Like I said above, I was between 195-200lbs at 5'10 in my early 20's and was very fit. But I was a built like a tank from working construction on weekends/summers during university + 10hours/week in the gym.

It's a lot of weight, for hutson I think it would be too much even if he could carry it. And would almost certainly negatively affect his skating.
180-185 would be the ideal weight for Lane

Reactions: Runner77

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I never heard bad skater either. Most of the complaints on his skating is that he isn't explosive like a Makar/Fox.

He is not a good skater, he has below average straight ahead speed and is a terrible back skater. He does have some nice edge work and ankle flexion but his skating was almost as much of the reason that he fell in the draft as his size.

He is incredibly deceptive with his hands, head fakes etc which gives some fans the belief that he is beating opponents with his skating but it is mostly elite IQ/anticipation/hands that are allowing him to do this. These things all contribute to the illusion that he is a good skater but the only strong part for Lane is his edgework. His speed has improved during the season and I think it will continue to improve as he gets stronger so I am not worried at all.

There are few uglier skaters than Lane when he is going all out in a straight line or attempting back crossovers but I am confident that he will successfully tackle both of these issues as the kid is uber competitive and does not want to embarass himself.There are also few skaters who are more exciting than Hutson when the puck is on his stick so let's be patient as we might have a true star on our hands.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
yes. you just named 3 prospects who's upside in the NHL
is going to be defied by , how much they can improve their skating.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
He is not a good skater, he has below average straight ahead speed and is a terrible back skater. He does have some nice edge work and ankle flexion but his skating was almost as much of the reason that he fell in the draft as his size.

He is incredibly deceptive with his hands, head fakes etc which gives some fans the belief that he is beating opponents with his skating but it is mostly elite IQ/anticipation/hands that are allowing him to do this. These things all contribute to the illusion that he is a good skater but the only strong part for Lane is his edgework. His speed has improved during the season and I think it will continue to improve as he gets stronger so I am not worried at all.

There are few uglier skaters than Lane when he is going all out in a straight line or attempting back crossovers but I am confident that he will successfully tackle both of these issues as the kid is uber competitive and does not want to embarass himself.There are also few skaters who are more exciting than Hutson when the puck is on his stick so let's be patient as we might have a true star on our hands.
He has drastically improved this year IMO. His biggest technical flaw was excessive upper body movement while hustling; that is MUCH better now from what I've seen. If he has another development year similar to the one he just had he will be considered a good skater at that point.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
And that's why the US has him on the team. Because he can't skate backwards & just an overall bad skater. Robert Dirk like. Spent 8 months in college not doing any drills to improve.
Yeah, pretty sound evaluation. How about average skater that needs to improve.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad