Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Ya this is just flat out wrong and shows that you haven't watched Hughes much or can't recall how he played in Michigan when forecheckers couldn't keep up with him (and still can't in the NHL). Hutson is deceptive, but nowhere near as deceptive and elusive as Hughes and that's largely because of the skating difference.

Being a great skater has nothing to do with deception. Forecheckers have a hard time keeping up with Matheson. That doesn't make him a deceptive player. Deception is also a lot more than just trying to get rid of a forechecker.

Reactions: nicehiss

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Being a great skater has nothing to do with deception. Forecheckers have a hard time keeping up with Matheson. That doesn't make him a deceptive player. Deception is also a lot more than just trying to get rid of a forechecker.
You could just say you don’t watch Quinn Hughes dude. Matheson blows by forecheckers which is a challenge for them but they know he’s just going to go by them. Hughes is so shifty and elusive that forecheckers just don’t know what he’s going to do next. While being a better skater doesn’t mean you are more deceptive than someone else, being a better skater and deceptive can make you more deceptive than someone else. It’s like saying being big doesn’t mean you are physical. While that is true, being big and physical is way more impactful than not being big but are physical. Quinn Hughes skating is an art and he’s so incredibly elusive and deceptive that the other team doesn’t know which way he’s going and/or what he’s going to do next. He’s an absolute wizard and has tremendous offensive IQ making him a threat which is only enhanced because of his skating. While Hutson is also uber talented and smart offensively, the skating difference compared to Hughes (who is one of the most deceptive players in the NHL) just can’t make him be as deceptive as him. As I said, arguably only Makar does it better than Hughes. I highly encourage you to watch Hughes even pre NHL because to say Hutson is incredibly more deceptive is just flat out wrong.

Reactions: Runner77

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You could just say you don’t watch Quinn Hughes dude. Matheson blows by forecheckers which is a challenge for them but they know he’s just going to go by them. Hughes is so shifty and elusive that forecheckers just don’t know what he’s going to do next. While being a better skater doesn’t mean you are more deceptive than someone else, being a better skater and deceptive can make you more deceptive than someone else. It’s like saying being big doesn’t mean you are physical. While that is true, being big and physical is way more impactful than not being big but are physical. Quinn Hughes skating is an art and he’s so incredibly elusive and deceptive that the other team doesn’t know which way he’s going and/or what he’s going to do next. He’s an absolute wizard and has tremendous offensive IQ making him a threat which is only enhanced because of his skating. While Hutson is also uber talented and smart offensively, the skating difference compared to Hughes (who is one of the most deceptive players in the NHL) just can’t make him be as deceptive as him. As I said, arguably only Makar does it better than Hughes. I highly encourage you to watch Hughes even pre NHL because to say Hutson is incredibly more deceptive is just flat out wrong.

I've seen enough of Hughes pre and post nhl to know that he's not more deceptive than Hutson. He doesn't use deception as often as Hutson does.

Being a faster skater doesn't make a player more deceptive. It only increases the positive effect of doing deceptive moves. If a player does a fake and the defender bites, then he will be able to create more seperation than if it was a slow skater who made that move

In this clip, Makar uses a quick change of direction to deceive the defender. The change of direction is the deception used here. If Hutson used the exact same move, it wouldnt have the exact same result since he doesn't have Makar's acceleration, but it doesn't make him less deceptive.

Here are just some examples of deceptive move that Hutson routinely does

Not saying Hughes can't do that, Im saying he doesn't use deception as often as Hutson does.

Also since you're saying Hughes is so much more talented offensively (skating, iq, deception, etc.) than Hutson, then what made Hutson so much more dominant in the NCAA?

Reactions: nicehiss

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
I've seen enough of Hughes pre and post nhl to know that he's not more deceptive than Hutson. He doesn't use deception as often as Hutson does.

Being a faster skater doesn't make a player more deceptive. It only increases the positive effect of doing deceptive moves. If a player does a fake and the defender bites, then he will be able to create more seperation than if it was a slow skater who made that move

In this clip, Makar uses a quick change of direction to deceive the defender. The change of direction is the deception used here. If Hutson used the exact same move, it wouldnt have the exact same result since he doesn't have Makar's acceleration, but it doesn't make him less deceptive.

Not saying Hughes can't do that, Im saying he doesn't use deception as often as Hutson does.

Also since you're saying Hughes is so much more talented offensively (skating, iq, deception, etc.) than Hutson, then what made Hutson so much more dominant in the NCAA?

Your last question is really what came to mind for me when considering this debate. Lane Hutson did significantly outscore Hughes two first season in the NCAA in his NCAA rookie year. Granted Lane was a year older but its really hard to see how Hughes was head and shoulders above Hutson in the NCAA considering that.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Well I hate to break it to you but you haven't seen him very well if you don't think he's near the top of the NHL in terms of deceptiveness.

Exactly, it leads to a greater success rate. What are the perks of being deceptive but failing at it at a greater rate compared to someone else? You just make more turnovers that way.

Yes I'm fully aware of what Hutson does against NCAA players, Hughes did it too in a similar fashion before the NHL (and has adapted to do it still excellently at the NHL level due to his tools and toolbox). I've seen him do it so many times that I lost track.

Well that's an awful argument. It would be like me saying "If Hughes is a PPG dman in the NHL and Hutson outscored him by a lot in the NCAA, would that make Hutson a 120+point player in the NHL?". Bedard put up more points than McDavid, it doesn't mean that McDavid wasn't the better player. Michkov put up more points than Ovi, it doesn't mean that he wasn't the better player. Shane Bowers is mere months older than Tkachuk and outproduced him (especially in goals) in the NCAA, what has that proved in the NHL where it actually matters. I can say that Hughes was an elite prospect and that Hutson is a very good prospect and remains to be seen what he does against NHLers.

Your last question is really what came to mind for me when considering this debate. Lane Hutson did significantly outscore Hughes two first season in the NCAA in his NCAA rookie year. Granted Lane was a year older but its really hard to see how Hughes was head and shoulders above Hutson in the NCAA considering that.
Yes Hutson was even better than Conn Smythe and Norris winner Cale Makar in the NCAA too. Doesn't really mean much, Hughes and Makar were considerably better prospects despite the point total difference.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Points are not everything though. Drouin did outscore BigMac big a significant margin in their 2012-2013 draft year. When i look at Lane videos and in tournament on TV i see a game that has to mature a lot to work at the NHL level. He's very skilled but i'm not sure his game will translate well to the NHL wihtout some changes.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Exactly, it leads to a greater success rate. What are the perks of being deceptive but failing at it at a greater rate compared to someone else? You just make more turnovers that way.

Who said anything about failing and turnovers? The success of a deceptive move isn't based upon a goal being scored, its based upon whether it helped a player gain an advantage. If Hutson does the exact same move as Makar, he would gain an edge over the defender, which would make his deceptive move as a success. He doesn't need to seperate himself from the defender as much as an elite skater like Makar is able to. What happens after the change of direction isn't part of the deception.

Well that's an awful argument. It would be like me saying "If Hughes is a PPG dman in the NHL and Hutson outscored him by a lot in the NCAA, would that make Hutson a 120+point player in the NHL?". Bedard put up more points than McDavid, it doesn't mean that McDavid wasn't the better player. Michkov put up more points than Ovi, it doesn't mean that he wasn't the better player. Shane Bowers is mere months older than Tkachuk and outproduced him (especially in goals) in the NCAA, what has that proved in the NHL where it actually matters. I can say that Hughes was an elite prospect and that Hutson is a very good prospect and remains to be seen what he does against NHLers.

Not even close to the same kind of argument. I never argued Hutson was a better prospect or that he will end up a better nhler because of his more productive ncaa season.

A player can be better in juniors/ncaa than another, but still not be the better prospect. It baffles me how some of you guys don't understand this. Kidney is a better junior player than Beck, but he's not the better prospect. Unlike Kidney, Beck has the physique, tools, and plays a type of game that transfer well to the nhl. Its why he's the better prospect and why he was drafted higher.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Who said anything about failing and turnovers? The success of a deceptive move isn't based upon a goal being scored, its based upon whether it helped a player gain an advantage. If Hutson does the exact same move as Makar, he would gain an edge over the defender, which would make his deceptive move as a success. He doesn't need to seperate himself from the defender as much as an elite skater like Makar is able to. What happens after the change of direction isn't part of the deception.

Not even close to the same kind of argument. I never argued Hutson was a better prospect or that he will end up a better nhler because of his more productive ncaa season.

A player can be better in juniors/ncaa than another, but still not be the better prospect. It baffles me how some of you guys don't understand this. Kidney is a better junior player than Beck, but he's not the better prospect. Unlike Kidney, Beck has the physique, tools, and plays a type of game that transfer well to the nhl. Its why he's the better prospect and why he was drafted higher.
If Hutson can't have the separation speed from Dach in that case and Dach catches up to him causing him to go in the corner, the move is a failure. Like I said, what's the point if he can't do anything with it (hypothetically) like in this case where Dach just doesn't let him cut to the middle and score like how Makar did due to his skating?

This guy literally focuses on how his deception is what makes him a special player at the NHL level.

So where are you going with your "much more dominant" argument if you can acknowledge that Hughes was a better prospect?

Reactions: Runner77

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Hughes is extremely deceptive but doesn't use it as much as Hutson because he doesn't need to due to being a far superior skater. Quinn can accelerate past/away from defenders while Lane can't and instead invites engagement on his own terms and is very good at staying one step ahead of his opponent through deception. Don't get me wrong Lane is a special talent as his hands and his IQ are elite but to in any way act like the amount of deception that he is forced to use puts him on Quinn Hughes level of skating simply is not true.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I meant like a 2022 redraft

Lane Hutson is 100% a top 10 talent in 2022 draft, even 2023 draft. This guy is such talented and he is going to be ELITE, just like Cole Caufield but at defense. He thinks the game like Caufield did!!

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Hughes is extremely deceptive but doesn't use it as much as Hutson because he doesn't need to due to being a far superior skater. Quinn can accelerate past/away from defenders while Lane can't and instead invites engagement on his own terms and is very good at staying one step ahead of his opponent through deception. Don't get me wrong Lane is a special talent as his hands and his IQ are elite but to in any way act like the amount of deception that he is forced to use puts him on Quinn Hughes level of skating simply is not true.

I never said the last part you mentionned. I simply said Hutson was more deceptive than Hughes, which it seems you agree with.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad