Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He is not a good skater, he has below average straight ahead speed and is a terrible back skater. He does have some nice edge work and ankle flexion but his skating was almost as much of the reason that he fell in the draft as his size.

He is incredibly deceptive with his hands, head fakes etc which gives some fans the belief that he is beating opponents with his skating but it is mostly elite IQ/anticipation/hands that are allowing him to do this. These things all contribute to the illusion that he is a good skater but the only strong part for Lane is his edgework. His speed has improved during the season and I think it will continue to improve as he gets stronger so I am not worried at all.

There are few uglier skaters than Lane when he is going all out in a straight line or attempting back crossovers but I am confident that he will successfully tackle both of these issues as the kid is uber competitive and does not want to embarass himself.There are also few skaters who are more exciting than Hutson when the puck is on his stick so let's be patient as we might have a true star on our hands.

He reminds me of Kovalev with the puck on his stick. Kovalev was obviously much better protecting the puck because he was strong as an Ox, but in terms of the hands/fakes/anticipation , it all visually looks similar to how Kovy used to do it.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He has drastically improved this year IMO. His biggest technical flaw was excessive upper body movement while hustling; that is MUCH better now from what I've seen. If he has another development year similar to the one he just had he will be considered a good skater at that point.
I agree that he has improved and that is encouraging. I suspect that he will put a lot of work into the back skating issue this summer as I have never witnessed a top D prospect at his age struggle so mightily to complete a single back crossover without stumbling. So, no matter what he does with the rest of his skating, if he doesn't correct this it would be very strange to refer to a defender who can't skate backwards as a good skater.

Perhaps he has improved his back skating in practice but isn't comfortable using it in game scenarios at this point, I don't know. I would be shocked if he never becomes competent at skating backwards so this likely is not going to be an issue as a pro.

Reactions: Favster

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I agree that he has improved and that is encouraging. I suspect that he will put a lot of work into the back skating issue this summer as I have never witnessed a top D prospect at his age struggle so mightily to complete a single back crossover without stumbling. So, no matter what he does with the rest of his skating, if he doesn't correct this it would be very strange to refer to a defender who can't skate backwards as a good skater.

Perhaps he has improved his back skating in practice but isn't comfortable using it in game scenarios at this point, I don't know. I would be shocked if he never becomes competent at skating backwards so this likely is not going to be an issue as a pro.
At some things, he is much more then just great. His agility
and balance are off the charts. He just needs to build the kind
of leg muscles, and core strength, to improve his acceleration
and open ice speed. That would help him use his strengths in
the NHL.
I can't see him ever skating backwards, well enough against
top 6 NHL forwards. I think he is creative enough, and great
at understanding opponents, that he'll invent a "work-around"
But he'll need a creative coach.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
And that's why the US has him on the team. Because he can't skate backwards & just an overall bad skater. Robert Dirk like. Spent 8 months in college not doing any drills to improve.
Yeah, pretty sound evaluation. How about average skater that needs to improve.

I've been wondering for awhile now he manages to get so many points while skating with a walker. Is that even allowed in the NHL?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
And that's why the US has him on the team. Because he can't skate backwards & just an overall bad skater. Robert Dirk like. Spent 8 months in college not doing any drills to improve.
You have just made the first Robert Dirk mention since 1994. Congrats :thumbu:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I hate this logic as it is commonly used by people who are wrong and refuse to address the details, instead reverting to making broad generalizations and asking how the original premise could be true without actually providing an opinion.

Lane Hutson struggles mightily with skating backwards, that has been accepted as common fact even by his strongest supporters who I happen to be one of. Go back and watch the film instead of playing punch and duck with vague rebuttals, take notice of him almost always skating opposite to his partner and only turning into a back skate glide but almost never attempting a back crossover.

Now you show me video of him completing back crossovers.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I've been wondering for awhile now he manages to get so many points while skating with a walker. Is that even allowed in the NHL?

Where is Mark Stone's walker or Toffoli's or O'Reilly's or Dumais' or Kidney's etc......where are their walkers?

Once again with this brutal intellectually dishonest approach.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I hate this logic as it is commonly used by people who are wrong and refuse to address the details, instead reverting to making broad generalizations and asking how the original premise could be true without actually providing an opinion.

Lane Hutson struggles mightily with skating backwards, that has been accepted as common fact even by his strongest supporters who I happen to be one of. Go back and watch the film instead of playing punch and duck with vague rebuttals, take notice of him almost always skating opposite to his partner and only turning into a back skate glide but almost never attempting a back crossover.

OK we are looking at an elite world class talent .And
you are saying that it doesn't matter how much he is
better than the other strong players on earth. You are
saying that what matters is, how well he skates backwards,
and he can't do back crossovers.
I suspect that you are VERY BADLY WRONG. !!!!
Please save this, so that you can show it to me in 3 years.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That wasn’t pretty. At this rate, it would take a couple of years with Adam Nicholas to get him comfortable.

Would you say his skating also played in drafting teams choosing to pass him over?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
OK we are looking at an elite world class talent .And
you are saying that it doesn't matter how much he is
better than the other strong players on earth. You are
saying that what matters is, how well he skates backwards,
and he can't do back crossovers.
I suspect that you are VERY BADLY WRONG. !!!!
Please save this, so that you can show it to me in 3 years.

I am not sure what your exact malfunction is but it is approaching acute.

I have said over and over that I think he is a great prospect and that I believe that he will overcome his shortcomings. When confronted with the truth posters such as yourself are immediately triggered into tribal rants that have little to do with what is true but rather what you want to be true and you are entirely glossing over the details of the conversation.

So read this slowly......I think Lane is great and he will succeed.

Now save that if you like. :help:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That wasn’t pretty. At this rate, it would take a couple of years with Adam Nicholas to get him comfortable.

Would you say his skating also played in drafting teams choosing to pass him over?
100% as it was commonly mentioned in conjunction with the size concerns as it was seen as a negative compounding factor. I am not sure why I get attacked every time I mention it but it is exhausting having to repeat it only to then be criticized for saying the same thing lol.

Thanks for listening to the last part....had to get that out.:)

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto

I have said over and over that I think he is a great prospect and that I believe that he will overcome his shortcomings. When confronted with the truth posters such as yourself are immediately triggered into tribal rants that have little to do with what is true but rather what you want to be true and you are entirely glossing over the details of the conversation.

I did post this . That he fell draft, more for skating, and not for his
height.

%The detail in this case, is that you are saying that he needs
to overcome, his shortcomings at skating backwards. I think
that won't matter. He is a level of talent, that may change the
game, if it works for him..
As to you, using insults to me. That's useful. It helps me
measure you as a person.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

Pretty sure this is one of Nichols unique exercises and not just Lane failing to skate backwards footage.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Where would you guys put Hutson in a 2022 re-draft?

He'd have to be close to a top 10 pick, no?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Cooley going back to college for a 2nd year.
Won't be easy for Hutson to win the hobey baker

WJC should be fun. Team USA group of forwards will be insane, and Hutson will be feeding them a lot of passes. He's gonna put up a lot of points.

Reactions: 26Mats

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Where would you guys put Hutson in a 2022 re-draft?

He'd have to be close to a top 10 pick, no?

Yes top 10, for sure. 100%

He is already at 5"10... and if he was 5"10 at draft day, he would go top 20.

Habs have 2 talent top 10 with Slaf and Hutson, like Dach and Caufield in 2019 draft.

Reactions: Eegs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Lol thats literally when Nicholas had them do a weird drill and Hutson did it the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad