Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
KK and Galchenyuk both had much better 18yo season than Slaf did so there's legitimate concern. Plus they didn't receive multiple concussion threatening hits with their head down. I'd also claim KK had equal even more balance than Slaf while being 35pounds lighter. Can't knock it all on the kid tho, imo he just wasn't ready for the big league like 99% of 18yo.
KK also had a better first season than Draisaitl had (his first 37 NHL games at 18). Doesn’t mean much.

The point is having Slaf developping well every season and be better than the last one.

His talent is becoming very underrated. Talking like he is nothing but a big guy.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
You don't remember MSL telling his defenders he didn't want them skating backwards earlier in the season?

Coaches want the D to pressure sooner and retreat less because of the back pressure... but yes obviously pivoting is important... Hutson is very agile
Yep. We’re seeing more defending the rush with the D stepping up and angling the puck carrier (skating toe caps first) towards the boards. It creates pressure - like you say - and limits controlled zone entries relative to the traditional ‘gap up, backwards skate, shut it down in the D zone’ approach.

As you say, back pressure is key.

This alternative way of defending the rush doesn’t make backwards skating any less important, however, since the latter is more common. :)

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
KK also had a better first season than Draisaitl had (his first 37 NHL games at 18). Doesn’t mean much.

The point is having Slaf developping well every season and be better than the last one.

His talent is becoming very underrated. Talking like he is nothing but a big guy.
Heard the same thing with Suzuki who was too lazy and Caufield who was too slow for his size and now because Slaf did not tear it up in year 1 well he’s gotta be a bust, 3rd liner at best!!

We gotta let the kids figure out not only the league but themselves. I’m confident Slaf will be a machine by the 24-25 season

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Heard the same thing with Suzuki who was too lazy and Caufield who was too slow for his size and now because Slaf did not tear it up in year 1 well he’s gotta be a bust, 3rd liner at best!!

We gotta let the kids figure out not only the league but themselves. I’m confident Slaf will be a machine by the 24-25 season
Just curious, where would you say Hutson might get selected if last year’s draft were to be held now?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Bruhhh! He's too small! :sarcasm:
Size Matters GIF | Gfycat

Reactions: Dutronc and PhysicX

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If he keeps improving, which he of course should, he'll be way too good to stay in the NCAA past next year...

Just gotta hope he does some physical maturing & has two great summers of healthy offseason training & strength development.

He'll be playing pro hockey by 2024-25 barring injury set back.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If he keeps improving, which he of course should, he'll be way too good to stay in the NCAA past next year...

Just gotta hope he does some physical maturing & has two great summers of healthy offseason training & strength development.

He'll be playing pro hockey by 2024-25 barring injury set back.
Just so much fun having this type of high performing prospect in the pipeline. The last time was Caufield, preceded by Suzuki. However, Hutson’s freshman year is just off the charts.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018

I'm just saying he would have been better off a lower tier league at 18. Yes he's full of talent and I'm not against the pick ( Still would have taken Nemec but I prefer Slaf to Wright ) so no argument here. Fact is he wasn't able to do the most important thing on most nights : protect himself. Game was too fast to process, he was surprisingly weak on his skates and while he has the temperament for it, he couldn't carry his team like Hutson is doing.

I'm not against Slaf spending the whole next year in AHL with the incoming talent infusion. There's so many things he could learn down there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’d guess mid 1st round, ranked higher but selected lower due to his size, like Caufield.

His numbers are insane.
I was thinking that his numbers might be the eye-opener and tilt the balance toward a top 10 in a weak draft.

Also, you’d think some teams might have learned something from having overlooked Caufield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad