TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
This is what you are calling interest? What's here? Johnson's "thinks" and "feels".

Even then its right there,to get anyone interested Laine needs to prove he's worth something on the ice. Nevermind that he says there aren't many teams that can fit him.

But keep clicking based on Johnson's feel that there are teams interested. Of course that might mean 2 and only one of them made a minimal effort.

Try again.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
This is what you are calling interest? What's here? Johnson's "thinks" and "feels".

Try again.

I have not seen you provide any evidence to your claim about no phone calls. There's evidence of interest.

You just make stuff up and hope nobody calls you out on it, then try to shift the burden of proof.

All this after you lost the "he is not fit enough to stay healthy" argument you're trying to divert from.

What motivates this behavior?

Last edited:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

I have not seen you provide any evidence to your claim about no phone calls. There's evidence of interest.

You just make stuff up and hope nobody calls you out on it, then try to shift the burden of proof.

All this after you lost the "he is not fit enough to stay healthy" argument you're trying to divert from.

I never said no phone calls. I said one team had interest. Stop making things up to defend your narrative that has no legs. Or maybe you arent that good at reading.

So, a month ago Wadell let Laine talk to anyone who has interest and still nothing.

I posted a link with actual reporting. Not thinks and feels.

I'm not the one making things up. Are you even reading what you are posting?
It shouldn't be this hard for you and all the truth you have.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
So he's going to become a player he never was? Ppg is a reach for sure

I don't think you're right. Waddell said if Columbus had kept half the salary, he would have been traded long ago. It's just that GMs want to take advantage of the situation and that's why they don't offer much. Of course they want CBJ to keep half the salary. And I don't blame them, if I were the GM of another team I'd be doing the same thing.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I posted a link with actual reporting. Not thinks and feels.

I'm not the one making things up.

You said CBJ had received no phone calls about Laine. You have not provided anything to back that up. It's a silly claim that you have no way of knowing.

Now you're just flailing because you were called out on this one as well.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
A point can be made that even healthy he isn’t worth his 8.7M/year. He’s a very expensive complimentary piece - meaning he isn’t a line driver.

Any winger that isn’t a line driver shouldn’t sniff close to 9M/year even when healthy. Those contracts should be given to top pairing D, top pairing C’s and line driver wingers.
Can you tell me who was the line leader in Nyquist - Jenner - Laine in 2021/22, or Johnson/Marchenko/Gaudreau/Chinakhov - Roslovic - Laine in 2022/23? Holy ghost?

P.S. While Gaudreau was making Laine's game worse, Laine was making his better, see not only the stats.

Btw, had more goals in 5v5 than Reinhart who played with Barkov.

You said CBJ had received no phone calls about Laine. You have not provided anything to back that up. It's a silly claim that you have no way of knowing.

You must not only mention the phone calls, but also what was offered.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Liar.

I even told you the Wild had interest. Which is more than you have given me.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
You must be completely dumbfounded that this guy has zero value. Not even worth a phone call from 31 teams.

He's worthless. DW has been panhadling him in the media and 31 teams thought he wasn't worth a phone call. The NHL has spoken.

First you said "quote me", then you edited it because you realized "oh shit I did say that!"

I don't need to give you anything. You claimed the above and have not offered evidence of that. This is getting off topic.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
First you said "quote me", then you edited it because you realized "oh shit I did say that!"
Clearly based on every other post I made I meant 30.BJs can't call themselves. One team had interest. The Wild. Every other post I made was clear on that.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
You know you can score at a PPG pace and not score 82 points right? His last two healthiest seasons in Columbus he scored 56 points in 56 games (a literal PPG pace) and 52 in 55 (just under a PPG pace)

When you take out his two least healthy seasons when he couldn't even play half of a seasons worth of games because he was in and out of the lineup with injuries, he produces at something around a .80 PPG pace over his career.
Unfortunately being able to stay healthy is part of the game .. so .8 is a better representation of his output

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
There is no luck. It's variance.

If you're into magical thinking, I'm sure your analysis sounds legit. If I used the same "logic", I could argue that Laine has used up all his bad luck and it's going to be all smooth sailing from here on out because the odds are in his favor so much. Clearly faulty logic, but doesn't stop you does it?

It's just based on your baseless feeling that Laine is not fit, and that lack of fitness is causing concussions and bone breaks or whatever. It's ridiculous on it's face but I do realize that a lot of people think this is proper logic.

"Eric Lindros was just bad at hockey and not physically fit". Sound about right?

The guy who has the most consecutive games in NHL history must be the most fit athlete of them all by this logic. Behold.

phil-kessel-2022-7166.jpg

That guy above was able to be the NHL's Ironman because he almost never put himself in a position to get hit. Lindros was often injured due to the style of hockey he played.

Laine for whatever reason can't seem to avoid contact on the ice. He's fast when he gets up to speed which is why you can find highlight reel goals but he struggles to read the ice well and plays way too much 1v1 hockey which puts him in bad spots. A large part of this is due to Laine taking it upon himself to try to create offense on the Jackets' offensively challenged teams but that's going to be a hard habit to break after four years.

I would argue Laine would be better served in the offseason by working with skating and positioning coaches than lifting weights. Faster acceleration and using his large frame to his advantage coupled with less stick play would be huge to his overall game.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Laine for whatever reason can't seem to avoid contact on the ice.
So this is just last season

Here the whatever reason is Rasmus Andersson going out of his way to hit Laine with 2 seconds on the clock, was suspended for 4 games so I guess NHL didn't agree that he should have somehow been able to avoid that hit.

And here the whatever reason is Lagesson kicking Laines feet off causing him to crash to boards, then Lagesson landing on him uncontrollably.

There's reasons to it that are out of the control of the player getting injured. Avoiding these injuries were in the control of Andersson and Lagesson. Not because Laine isn't fit.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't see a trade to be had for Laine. Teams have pretty much locked up their rosters. Those teams with capspace are few and far between. Most won't take a risk on an oft-injured 8.7M malcontent and give up any significant value (e.g. 1st). I think Laine will have no choice but to accept that he will be a Blue Jacket next season. If he produces, then there an opportunity at TDL to be traded.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I don't see a trade to be had for Laine. Teams have pretty much locked up their rosters. Those teams with capspace are few and far between. Most won't take a risk on an oft-injured 8.7M malcontent and give up any significant value (e.g. 1st). I think Laine will have no choice but to accept that he will be a Blue Jacket next season. If he produces, then there an opportunity at TDL to be traded.

That's most likely in my opinion.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That's most likely in my opinion.
I am sure the CBJ tried to trade him but the returns would be dismal given the risk and situation. No team would give up pure value for Laine. It is unrealistic for CBJ fans to believe he has significant value. They would have to take back a bad contract or retain on Laine to sweeten the pot.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I am sure the CBJ tried to trade him but the returns would be dismal given the risk and situation. No team would give up pure value for Laine. It is unrealistic for CBJ fans to believe he has significant value. They would have to take back a bad contract or retain on Laine to sweeten the pot.

I'd much prefer he started in Columbus and plays healthy. That's when the value goes high.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
meaning he isn’t a line driver.

Stats clearly show he makes his linemates better. He also very much drives any line he is on, because he's the best player in those lines and touches the puck the most and creates the most offense.

I'm sure you'll now offer some personal definition of a line driver to counter what the statistics and eye test show.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That guy above was able to be the NHL's Ironman because he almost never put himself in a position to get hit. Lindros was often injured due to the style of hockey he played.

Laine for whatever reason can't seem to avoid contact on the ice. He's fast when he gets up to speed which is why you can find highlight reel goals but he struggles to read the ice well and plays way too much 1v1 hockey which puts him in bad spots. A large part of this is due to Laine taking it upon himself to try to create offense on the Jackets' offensively challenged teams but that's going to be a hard habit to break after four years.

I would argue Laine would be better served in the offseason by working with skating and positioning coaches than lifting weights. Faster acceleration and using his large frame to his advantage coupled with less stick play would be huge to his overall game.
Laine reads ice very good. But you're right that he shouldn't be driving the puck into the OZ, but pass quickly, which he's very good at. But it's not about reading ice,,simply he wants to do everything. Btw, last season in the later games after the concussion he started doing that.

To injuries in 2022/23 season:

2. Accidental getting stuck in an Isles player's skate
3. COVID-19
4. Stretched triceps during PP training

2023/24
see above

Can you write me which one is to blame for what you wrote?

Also, if you've looked at the exercises, there are a lot of them to strengthen your legs, core body strengthening stability to improve your skating. And just because there are no pictures/videos of skating training doesn't mean he doesn't have them. For example, Marchenko also trains skating, but he doesn't take photos/videos. Similarly Barkov. And they are not alone.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Offtopic but while Phil Kessel played a soft game dude always looked robust as hell and having some extra cushioning I bet would just help :D Seriously though, he might not look ribbed or fit the image people have of pro athletes but his natural build seems a great fit for hockey.

As for Laine injuries, taking into account his history I think it's perfectly fair to say he's injury prone. As for why that is, in truth we have no idea. Maybe it's just bad luck, or maybe he's actually been lucky to not have had even more and worse injuries. Likewise if it has anything to do with his training, it could just as well be from training too hard instead of not hard enough. We simply don't know and anyone claiming otherwise either has very in depth insider information or is full of shit. I bet on the latter.

Laine's trade value is obviously going to be very low at the moment, it's horrible timing both for Laine and for teams in general, if he plays some good hockey to start the year things should look a lot better both for Laine's value in a vacuum and in the real world with where teams are at with their rosters.

You can down play his 21-22 and 22-23 seasons for having played under 60 games both seasons, fair enough, but I get the sense most non-CBJ fans really have no idea how well or what type of game he played those seasons.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
When a player is injury prone, oftentimes it's an issue with conditioning or fundamentals. On conditioning, stuff like stretching regularly, working on all your muscles, doing yoga and such helps a great deal, as does eating a healthy diet(which seems to be an issue judging by what I've seen).

On fundamentals, it's possible the player has bad habits. A taller player like Laine might be especially prone to such a thing, since he played so many years being far bigger than anyone, so he probably didn't develop this habit of looking out for himself in the same way that a smaller and more vulnerable guy would have.

At least Laine's vision seems to have some issues and he's pretty vulnerable to getting blindsided and just doesn't watch out for himself very alertly in comparison to many other players. I also think that his skating posture leaves him relatively vulnerable, as it's not exactly ideal.

On just blaming luck for repeated injuries, it's possible but it's very unlikely that such things could repeatedly happen due to mere luck.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
I'm sure Laine has had some bad luck concerning his injuries, but at the same time he definitely has some issues with his balance as he usually ends up falling to the ice when there's contact. He's not exactly known for his lower body strength and overall is just a lanky guy. When you're 6'5 with bad balance, the likelihood of getting injured is definitely increased. A few of his injuries has definitely looked like he's made of glass, but the tall frame makes it so that there's way more momentum vs a shorter, lower center of gravity frame.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm sure Laine has had some bad luck concerning his injuries, but at the same time he definitely has some issues with his balance as he usually ends up falling to the ice when there's contact. He's not exactly known for his lower body strength and overall is just a lanky guy. When you're 6'5 with bad balance, the likelihood of getting injured is definitely increased. A few of his injuries has definitely looked like he's made of glass, but the tall frame makes it so that there's way more momentum vs a shorter, lower center of gravity frame.
He skates like a little guy. His back will also give out eventually.i

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So this is just last season

Here the whatever reason is Rasmus Andersson going out of his way to hit Laine with 2 seconds on the clock, was suspended for 4 games so I guess NHL didn't agree that he should have somehow been able to avoid that hit.

Don't kill me, you brought it up. But it's not right that Laine shrunk down to 5'0 there. It just looks weird to me. That's not good form. None of that excuses a dirty hit, it's just not the form you want to see if you're hoping your guy can avoid injuries.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad