TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
It's the other way around, Gaudreau is still better at it than Laine, Patty just prefers to have it.

Could be, I have felt more confident in our ability to get safely out of the zone when Laine is carrying or passing it out than when Johnny does, but I don't have any data to base it on so could be bias. I've seen Johnny give up clear breakaways at our blueline, Laine's possession losses mostly happen at the opponents blueline. They're less dangerous from my perspective I guess.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Could be, I have felt more confident in our ability to get safely out of the zone when Laine is carrying or passing it out than when Johnny does, but I don't have any data to base it on so could be bias. I've seen Johnny give up clear breakaways at our blueline, Laine's possession losses mostly happen at the opponents blueline. They're less dangerous from my perspective I guess.
Come on. Are you really trying to claim Laine is a better puck handler/transition player than Gaudreau? The delusions of the Finnish Five knows no bounds.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Come on. Are really trying to claim Laine is a better puck handler/transition player than Gaudreau? The delusions of the Finnish Five knows no bounds.
If I understand correctly, he meant not the transition per se, but what happens after the puck is lost. Johnny is worse defensively, playing without the puck, than Laine. It may seem strange to those who don't follow Columbus, but Patrik is really good defensively, playing without the puck.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Are really trying to claim Laine is a better puck handler/transition player than Gaudreau?

Well I watch the games. I do think Laine is safer yes. He might fumble possession sometmes but he won't do it as the last man. I've seen Johnny do that more. I expected Johnny to be more reliable at it but hasn't looked like it so far.

Has nothing to do with Finns or whatever, Laine is a safer puck carrier from D zone than Mikko Rantanen for example. Mikko does a bunch of those last man cough ups that Johnny does. I just watch games. You're of course entitled to disagree

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
If I understand correctly, he meant not the transition per se, but what happens after the puck is lost. Johnny is worse defensively, playing without the puck, than Laine. It may seem strange to those who don't follow Columbus, but Patrik is really good defensively, playing without the puck.
"Really good" is not what I would call him. Just because he might be better defensively than Johnny Hobbit does not make him that great.

Laine is slow and he doesn't really use his size to his advantage. He's below average when talking about defence.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
"Really good" is not what I would call him. Just because he might be better defensively than Johnny Hobbit does not make him that great.

Laine is slow and he doesn't really use his size to his advantage. He's below average when talking about defence.
Gaudreau and Laine are completely different players offensively. Terrible 1-2 offensive/winger punch. Both lack aggression/intensity with and without the puck and both have commitment and effort issues on the defensive side of the puck. Both make me miss Panarin.

Both have been underwhelming from a CBJ fan POV, IMO. Both have been worth much less than what their cap hits have been. Gaudreau at least plays a game that meshes well with his teammates, and the style of many of the current young CBJ forwards.

Only thing Laine has done for the team is help them get Fantilli, and the other high draft picks.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Laine is not really good defensively. Come on. Why all of the fluffing on this guy? At this stage he's an injury prone malcontent who can't spell the word intensity (in English or Finnish). If, and that's a big if he can stay healthy there's a chance he can hit 30-35 goals while being average/below average in all other areas of the game.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine is not really good defensively. Come on. Why all of the fluffing on this guy? At this stage he's an injury prone malcontent who can't spell the word intensity (in English or Finnish). If, and that's a big if he can stay healthy there's a chance he can hit 30-35 goals while being average/below average in all other areas of the game.
I hope the GM thinks it too and offers will be made accordingly, at least Patrik will stay in CBJ at least for the start of the season. 😼

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

We are just educating you who don't watch the player , so you would have correct information but that's not what you're seeking.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Could be, this is also the quietest time in the league year in general. I'm hoping we roll the dice and hang onto him anyways so we'll see.

No fan or GM wants to trade for cheap. Laine has lots of potential and he has not really played with very many good top 2C's. Scheifele is the only one. Someone like Lehkonen on the Habs went through the same thing... kept on being bounced all over the line-up with weak centers and several Habs fans said he is not that good. Well, look at him now on the Avs. Yeah, Laine and Lehkonen are far apart in types of players but you get the point. You can also apply that to Gaudreau

Laine needs to be with a legit top 2C. Until that happens, you will see more of the same IMO.

He's asked for a trade and the Jackets will try. What is the acceptable trade value point? Only the Jackets GM knows. The other layer is what is the owner doing in terms of pressure. Does he want to shed salary. Difficult to know.

There is a fair chance he is not moved and starts the season with the Jackets. We just don't know how close in trade value the other teams are offering. What is the gap in negotiations? No idea

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Dude came into the league cocky as hell and wanted to become the best goal scorer in the league. I don't think he took the training all that seriously and wanted to play fortnite all night long instead.

If you want to be the best, then you have to set aside everything else and work on your craft almost every day.

It was clear pretty soon after he started playing in the NHL that he was never going to be fast and agile. The only thing he had was a world class shot. Other than that he's mostly useless on the ice. I don't know whose idea it was that he should start focusing on everything else than his shot, because that was a terrible idea.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
No fan or GM wants to trade for cheap. Laine has lots of potential and he has not really played with very many good top 2C's. Scheifele is the only one. Someone like Lehkonen on the Habs went through the same thing... kept on being bounced all over the line-up with weak centers and several Habs fans said he is not that good. Well, look at him now on the Avs. Yeah, Laine and Lehkonen are far apart in types of players but you get the point. You can also apply that to Gaudreau

Laine needs to be with a legit top 2C. Until that happens, you will see more of the same IMO.

He's asked for a trade and the Jackets will try. What is the acceptable trade value point? Only the Jackets GM knows. The other layer is what is the owner doing in terms of pressure. Does he want to shed salary. Difficult to know.

There is a fair chance he is not moved and starts the season with the Jackets. We just don't know how close in trade value the other teams are offering. What is the gap in negotiations? No idea

That's very true. Laine can drive his line but if you want the goal scoring machine he needs someone else to do some of the heavy lifting on zone entries and boards/behind net.

He's had two centers that have been good enough to do that work (Aho and Scheifele) and the results were great. If the 3rd wheel is a good boards player who can win pucks behind net and corners and doesn't need the puck, the results are fantastic. Puljujarvi, Perreault as examples.

Ehlers worked well too for entries, but his tendency of going for a skate around the O zone with the puck and giving possession away didn't match perfectly at the time.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Dude came into the league cocky as hell and wanted to become the best goal scorer in the league. I don't think he took the training all that seriously and wanted to play fortnite all night long instead.

If you want to be the best, then you have to set aside everything else and work on your craft almost every day.

It was clear pretty soon after he started playing in the NHL that he was never going to be fast and agile. The only thing he had was a world class shot. Other than that he's mostly useless on the ice. I don't know whose idea it was that he should start focusing on everything else than his shot, because that was a terrible idea.
You seriously underrate the NHL if you think a guy who didn't practice like heck could play as well as Laine. It's just bull from wannabe boomers who'd rather see their players boozing or smooching other players' wives.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I don't know whose idea it was that he should start focusing on everything else than his shot, because that was a terrible idea.
That was Paul Maurice's and the Winnipeg management's idea back in the end ov November 2018. It was a way to sandbag him so that Winnipeg could get him on a cheap deal. Laine at the time was first in goals since he started in the NHL 2 years earlier: NHL Stats and just had a record breaking November month with 18 goals. Once the talk got going about molding Laine into a 2way player instead of focusing on improving his god given sniping ability, everything went to shit and Laine has just 103 goals in the 301 games he's played since, while scoring 101 goals in his first 179 games.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
That was Paul Maurice's and the Winnipeg management's idea back in the end ov November 2018. It was a way to sandbag him so that Winnipeg could get him on a cheap deal. Laine at the time was first in goals since he started in the NHL 2 years earlier: NHL Stats and just had a record breaking November month with 18 goals. Once the talk got going about molding Laine into a 2way player instead of focusing on improving his god given sniping ability, everything went to shit and Laine has just 103 goals in the 301 games he's played since, while scoring 101 goals in his first 179 games.
Or. Other teams started covering that play knowing he had a good shot. Defence do catch up

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Or. Other teams started covering that play knowing he had a good shot. Defence do catch up
No, it broke Laine mentally and messed with his game. He had just tied Gretzky's and Bossy's record for most goals in November and Maurice and the rest of management said it wasn't good enough and started talking about defense and backchecking.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

Other teams have known about Ovechkin and where he shoots from for his entire career and they couldn't do much about it because net front has to be covered. It's all about the puck movement and support to get the shots off. Ovi had Carlson and Backstrom and the plan was simple.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Other teams have known about Ovechkin and where he shoots from for his entire career and they couldn't do much about it because net front has to be covered. It's all about the puck movement and support to get the shots off. Ovi had Carlson and Backstrom and the plan was simple.
Ovechkin get 52 goals and 106 points in his first season (2005/06). His center was Zubrus. No good example. Ovie was playing with Backström only from 2007/08 season, with Carlson later.

Reactions: um

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Ovechkin get 52 goals and 106 points in his first season (2005/06). His center was Zubrus. No good example. Ovie was playing with Backström only from 2007/08 season, with Carlson later.

Talking about the PP. If the PP unit works you can find the right shot.

Teams cover Laine harder than OV, because Laine is a better shot. OV is volume.

But that cover can and has been worked around by good passer on RW board and RHD at blueline. The speed of puck movement is key for opening lanes. He hasn't really had it since Byfuglien, occasionally with Jones and Bogy.

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Laine is pretty much in the middle of what Marionesque and few of the most fervent Laine haters think he is.

Just need to filter out the extremes and we're gucci.

Healthy Laine is what I talk about. Unfortunately that has been a unicorn for a long while.

He absolutely has the ability to be one of the top producers in the league, he's showed that in those stints with a good C. Aho, Scheifele and even Stastny.

You get that Laine, you get one of the best players in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad