Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews is very weak on the defensive side of the game. He is one dimensional. MacDavid is a force on offense and works hard on his defense. Mathews puts no effort on defense. even on the bench when Berube was chewing him out he didn't even look at Berube like he had that I don't give S*** attitude.

Matthews has great defensive tools. Has the elite active stick on the backcheck, is a shot blocking machine, can be dogged defensively, be a faceoff machine, and was called an elite drive train player when drafted. That's why people whisper Selke from time to time...

But the problem I see is he's not actually an elite drive train player at all and gives you something random and different on the effort scale every night of the week. Overall, I'd say it's somewhat hit and miss and kind of overrated.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Tanev at the bottom of the list again, meanwhile OEL and Rielly had bounce back games after a terrible Columbus showing. Nicky Bobby and JT(?) again with strong games again. Knies plummeted tonight compared to Tuesday but McMann stayed steady.
Matched the eye test

Rielly, OEL, Lorentz, Tavares, & Robertson were the best 5-man unit for us this entire game and got our only goal

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
1729822621079.png

• Haha
Reactions: al secord

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think that is dramatic.

But, it is a struggle for the players to align to what the coach wants shift in and shift out. And it is a struggle for the coach to find a way to get through to his players, and work with them to ensure they are all on the same page.

As brutal as those last two games were, we all (should have) know(n) there would be struggles in the first quarter of the season as the players and coaches adjust.

I don't think it is some us vs them kind of thing like you suggest. And if it is, trade Marner now to show these assholes who is in charge (i.e. not them).
This is the same type of effort and result we have seen from the the last 8 years. It’s well beyond adapting to a new coach. Since they got Babcock fired they have pretty much run the show. The real culprit is Shanny for allowing this to go on so long

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Holmberg probably shouldn't see the ice on the Leafs again unless it's an emergency imo. Hopefully Dewar is back soon or call up Steeves and send Holmberg down. Split up Matthews and Marner and split the PP up because it's getting old seeing the same crap every game and them just going back to old habits.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It is highly unlikely this is the case. I get that the management is obtuse, but their is zero chance after 8 games the Leafs core is rebelling against Berube.

The team won 4 out of 5 and looked good and suddenly they decided they didn't like it?
I bet after 2 games where he asked for maximum effort and tough aggressive play they begin the subtle passive revolt.
We were mistaken to think that this core had that kind of sustained effort in them. We havnt seen it from them in 8 years

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
This is the same type of effort and result we have seen from the the last 8 years. It’s well beyond adapting to a new coach. Since they got Babcock fired they have pretty much run the show. The real culprit is Shanny for allowing this to go on so long
Maybe. We'll see. It's a long season, and anyone who thought the team we see in the first quarter of the season is the one we'll see in the playoffs I think it mistaken.

At least I hope that to be the case.

I am a 'break up this f***ing core' guy though. 8 years is more than enough to know it does not work in crunch time.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Maybe. We'll see. It's a long season, and anyone who thought the team we see in the first quarter of the season is the one we'll see in the playoffs I think it mistaken.

At least I hope that to be the case.

I am a 'break up this f***ing core' guy though. 8 years is more than enough to know it does not work in crunch time.
We are on the same page as far as breaking up the core. You are right it is a long season and should be really interesting to see how the coach/ players dynamic plays out

Reactions: wingman75

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Reaves and Kampf can not be on this roster. f***ing trash upon trash.

Woll was trash but expected after being out

Timmins is trash

The core was worse then trash

Reilly was and is trash

Tanev was trash but has been good
Rielly makes Tanev trash, having to bail him out all the time. Tanev needs to play with someone that plays the same style he does.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
That was a fun first two weeks when things felt different.

Marner always starts slow but now Matthews is as well. For the love of god break them up.

That was as bad a defensive game I can remember from Matthews. People saying this is his usual are out to lunch but he deserves to get chewed out for this one.

Hard not to get doomer and see another road playoff start against a good team, here we go again.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Good job guys, nice effort for your coach's first game against his old team. Just like the Zamboni driver game, Tavares' first visit back to Long Island and all the game 7 chokes.

Another game to add to the long list of Leafy performances.
Couldn't the exact same thing be said about New Jersey after they lost to the Leafs at the start of this season?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

This whole era seems like a Groundhog Day lacking any kind of maturation or self-reflection the way the core guys operate. They're just deeply in their rut and have such established patterns of playing that you can basically schedule a trap game, losing streak, hot streak, personal ups and downs. It's just funny how this group is so set in their ways, and how those ways always take you to that Game 7 showdown. Maybe we just have to accept this as our Thornton-Marleau era. We did bring those goofs in to mentor this group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad