Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Nah, it’s Kampf and Reaves fault…oh and Timmons

Not Kampfs fault. But we can't have Holmberg and Kampf
We need something different. I dont' mind giving Steeves a long look on the 4th line

Kampf is too expensive to be playing 4th and not producing even a bit.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Honestly very emblematic of the Core Four era.

We have some great (NJ/Tampa/LA), some good (PIT/MTL/NY) and some downright atrocious (tonight and vs CBJ).

A mediocre team thru and thru, a team oozing talent but no heart. The time to blow it up was after Montreal, they kept running these bozos back despite their atrocious record.

Not once did they have a massive playoffs or a massive season even because they just don't have the psychological makeup of winners, maybe Rielly does but honestly he's not as talented as the other 4 or if he didn't show it much. Tonight was just another manifestation of their poor record:

3 different coaches
3 different GMs
3 different captains

Same old results because the core itself is rotten, no compete. Not versus the Islanders for JT, not versus zamboni drivers for a bit of self pride and not for Berube tonight, just more of the same we saw for nearly a decade now.

Ideally we can force Marner to waive his NTC so we can get something for him because the guy isn't going to do anything in the playoffs again. It's Toronto though so that obviously won't happen. But yeah Shanhan, Tavares and Marner need to be gone this offseason.

Personally I'd put all of them on the market if I could, but obviously MLSE doesn't have the balls to lose their cash cows. Honestly, I expect all of them back next year because after all it is Toronto, Tavares 4 years at 5 mill and Marner 7x11 or some awful garbage like that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well the Matthews captaincy era is off to an absolute popcorn fart of a start.

And Marner sucks.

In the offseason, they took Auston Matthews and elevated him to captain, coinciding with his new league leading contract kicking in. At the time it seemed a little odd to reward a guy coming off the injury plagued and face planting series vs Boston, but I guess the thought was he would rise to the occasion and take his game and leadership to the next level...and so far he is trailing Philip Broberg in the scoring race deep in October, saving his absolute worst hockey for his new coaches' first game against his former team after what looked like a new level vs Tampa earlier this week.

With Marner, who cares? The team consciously put him into contract limbo, everyone thought he would pull a Nylander and come out hot (he never does anyway). He is who he is and we'll probably re-sign him. It is what it is. I will say he's taken a lot of heat that should go to AM34.

Reactions: arso40

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
It’s absolutely the players. In my humble opinion it’s a power struggle right now between the new Muskoka 5 and Berube
I think that is dramatic.

But, it is a struggle for the players to align to what the coach wants shift in and shift out. And it is a struggle for the coach to find a way to get through to his players, and work with them to ensure they are all on the same page.

As brutal as those last two games were, we all (should have) know(n) there would be struggles in the first quarter of the season as the players and coaches adjust.

I don't think it is some us vs them kind of thing like you suggest. And if it is, trade Marner now to show these assholes who is in charge (i.e. not them).

Reactions: Tobyboy and Jojalu

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
py1ubc4l4ut31.jpg

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
At least this was Matthews first bad game defensively so maybe he gets a bit of a pass, but Marner has been trash so far. No it's not typical early season Marner either. He looks out of sorts. Of course what does the coach do like the old guy, they remove the 3rd guy from the line

This might be a typical Marner choke job when the stakes are high. He’s due for a new contract and instead of setting the world on fire he looks slow and predictable.

Reactions: stickty111

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
At least this was Matthews first bad game defensively so maybe he gets a bit of a pass, but Marner has been trash so far. No it's not typical early season Marner either. He looks out of sorts. Of course what does the coach do like the old guy, they remove the 3rd guy from the line
You miss last game when Mattjews was -3? The C has a lot more contribution on the +/- than a winger does...

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I said this is the GDT, but we can complain about the coach, the core, Woll being injury prone or whatever, but if our PP doesn't consistently produce we ain't going anywhere.

How can you have one of the greatest goal scorers ever, two 90-100pt players like Marner/Nylander and a solid net front guy in Tavares and get shutdown? We have built our entire team around these four forwards and they have waaaay too much skill to ever be getting totally shutdown on the PP for extremely long stretchs.

Whether it's coaching or on the players, it's nowhere good enough.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I wish we were Edmonton, we'd have a couple of deep runs under our belts in addition to the best player in the game.

No doubt. Some how every team's top end player takes it to another level. Crosby rarely had back to back bad games back in the days. Back when he was the star of this game, the highest paid player in the league

Mack would have killed somebody. But this is our core. We have seen this movie one too many times

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I said this is the GDT, but we can complain about the coach, the core, Woll being injury prone or whatever, but if our PP doesn't consistently produce we ain't going anywhere.

How can you have one of the greatest goal scorers ever, two 90-100pt players like Marner/Nylander and a solid net front guy in Tavares and get shutdown? We have built our entire team around these four forwards and they have waaaay too much skill to ever be getting totally shutdown on the PP for extremely long stretchs.

Well we should know damn well for certain now that it's not the coaching. Let's just get that straight here. No amount of bad coaching makes a PP go 1/23 in the playoffs, something else has to give.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007

Agreed. This has been glaring problem #1 since day 1. Stagnant, perimeter, and very easy to defend.

Savard needs to show his worth here.

Reactions: weems

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Hey, it's simply due to growing pains.

All of Pelley, Shanahan, and Treliving's HUGE CHANGES just need to gel a little.

This team is NOT A CONTENDER at this very time.

Too bad the NHL has a salary cap as our Leafs could use at least 4 more players making over $10M.

• Haha
Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It’s absolutely the players. In my humble opinion it’s a power struggle right now between the new Muskoka 5 and Berube
It is highly unlikely this is the case. I get that the management is obtuse, but their is zero chance after 8 games the Leafs core is rebelling against Berube.

The team won 4 out of 5 and looked good and suddenly they decided they didn't like it?

Reactions: ACC1224

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I think we have enough evidence it's the players or the core to be specific. 3 different head coaches, and 6 PP coaches have all failed to figure it out

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think that is dramatic.

But, it is a struggle for the players to align to what the coach wants shift in and shift out. And it is a struggle for the coach to find a way to get through to his players, and work with them to ensure they are all on the same page.

As brutal as those last two games were, we all (should have) know(n) there would be struggles in the first quarter of the season as the players and coaches adjust.

I don't think it is some us vs them kind of thing like you suggest. And if it is, trade Marner now to show these assholes who is in charge (i.e. not them).

I don't see it like the Core Five is revolting against Craig Berube, but post-Tampa seems maybe they hit a wall and can't maintain the standards required of them and have backslid into their trash level F Game. With Keefe being here for so long, they really had their seasons fall into predictable patterns.

Sluggish Octobers, red hot runs in November-January when people had their doubts, a second hot streak somewhere in February, March. Going on energy saver mode to finish the season and the playoff face plant. Will be interesting to see if Berube can correct any of this or if he falls into the same deep rut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad