Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Blake mustve been on the crack pipe early today

He’s obviously responding to a question so what else is he supposed to say, publicly? It doesn’t mean he actually thinks that or believes it will likely happen. I mean he could completely throw him under the bus I guess which would go down great in the room and further reduce any possible chance of moving him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s obviously responding to a question so what else is he supposed to say, publicly?
LA has come a long way in the past couple of seasons. But, need to find replacements for their big trio of Quick, Kopitar and Doughty. Bet on Paterson but he dropped the ball and is now an anchor contract that you need to attach assets to in order to move the remaining $5 mill per in cap charges over the next 2 seasons.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
If the cap goes up by one million the team has $2.55M in projected space. Not much you can do to fill/patch holes and improve the roster with amount.

Vilardi is worth at least that much. Will be telling if he just receives his $800k QO in June and we get past July with no deal.

Kupari, JAD and Tobey are also up and probably happy to take their QOs. But that is still another $2.6M on the cap and they’re not waiver claim exempt anymore. Sure you spent two late firsts and a second on these guys, but I could see all three clearing waivers coming out of camp. So it’s safe to assume a good chunk of that cap hit could be taken off the NHL roster. The concern is that none of these guys project to be an everyday player next season.

Blake has shown he can make two major moves in the summer when the franchise believes the “window” is open for whatever specious reasons. Danault and RV. Fiala trade and extension.

Let’s see what he comes up with. He doesn’t have the flexibility to upgrade without subtracting from somewhere. It’s the choice of where to cut that requires creativity. But the track record suggests a bunch of half measures that avoid any difficult decisions during a period where the pressure is at its lowest.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Blake does a Mikey 2.0… have Gabe sign a a cheap 1 year deal then quickly sign and extension

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He’s obviously responding to a question so what else is he supposed to say, publicly? It doesn’t mean he actually thinks that or believes it will likely happen. I mean he could completely throw him under the bus I guess which would go down great in the room and further reduce any possible chance of moving him.
True - most diplomatic answer you could give. But im also reacting to having Cal pencilled in as the #1a at the beginning of the season which was total hopium after the previous season. Im hoping he doesnt actually believe what he said. At best you live with your waste of 15m and pencil Cal as your #3.. but that hurts Portillo's development if you give Cal too much time. Cal is a giant albatross in the org which cant be bought out for another year.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
If we can re-sign Gavrikov, we have a perfectly good defense ready for next season:

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Roy

Put Anderson, Doughty, Gavrikov, and Roy out on penalty kills and Clarke and Doughty on power plays.

I’m fine re-signing Korpisalo if he takes a cheapish contract, something $3 million for 2 years. Not interested in long term goalie contracts at this time.
I like this idea. I'd also like them to get some picks for Kaliyev/Durzi or the ability to offload a bad contract.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I like this idea. I'd also like them to get some picks for Kaliyev/Durzi or the ability to offload a bad contract.
Sorry that D is soft. Replace Bjornfot with a big mean LHD.

Also, what makes fans think Clarke will pass over Spence? He has the build of a teenager.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
For shits n giggles -

- Trade Durzi for Lowry
- Sign Tristan Jarry
- Sign Ian Cole
- Sign Brett Ritchie
- Move Iafallo for a pick or two
- Move Arvidsson for a pick or two

Kempe - Kopitar - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Kaliyev
Byfield - Lowry - Vilardi
Grundstrom - Kupari - Ritchie
*Lizotte, Turcotte

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Cole - Roy
*Spence, Bjornfot

Jarry
Copley

Edit: I'd also be fine with signing Ryan Reaves for that Ritchie position.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
For shits n giggles -

- Trade Durzi for Lowry
- Sign Tristan Jarry
- Sign Ian Cole
- Sign Brett Ritchie
- Move Iafallo for a pick or two
- Move Arvidsson for a pick or two

Kempe - Kopitar - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Kaliyev
Byfield - Lowry - Vilardi
Grundstrom - Kupari - Ritchie
*Lizotte, Turcotte

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Cole - Roy
*Spence, Bjornfot

Jarry
Copley

Edit: I'd also be fine with signing Ryan Reaves for that Ritchie position.
I don't see jets trading Lowry for durzi.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Kempe Kopitar Iaffalo
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Fiala Byfield Vilardi
??? Lizotte ???
???

Possible:
Kupari, Fagemo, ALaff, Turcotte, Chromiak, Helenius, Pinelli

Anderson Doughty
Durzi Roy
Bjornfot Spence
???
*Clarke

Copley
???

Ufa: maybe a Graves type if lucky, Gavrikov will be too costly

Trade: Walker, Kaliyev,

* Petersen if not traded with a sweeter, he gets bought out after next year

Based on cap and the need to play guys this is my honest expectation for next year.

Doubt there will be sweeping changes

If LA is out by the deadline look to move Arvidsson and Durzi.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kempe Kopitar Iaffalo
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Fiala Byfield Vilardi
??? Lizotte ???
???

Possible:
Fagemo, ALaff, Turcotte, Chromiak, Helenius, Pinelli

Anderson Doughty
Durzi Roy
Bjornfot Spence
???
*Clarke

Copley
???

Ufa: maybe a Graves type if lucky, Gavrikov will be too costly

Trade: Walker, Kaliyev,

* Petersen if not traded with a sweeter, he gets bought out after next year

Based on cap and the need to play guys this is my honest expectation for next year.

Doubt there will be sweeping changes

If LA is out by the deadline look to move Arvidsson and Durzi.
Why stop at Arvidsson and Durzi?

...and why wait until next year's trade deadline?

Reactions: Schrute farms

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I wouldn’t be surprised if Blake does a Mikey 2.0… have Gabe sign a a cheap 1 year deal then quickly sign and extension

That’s exactly what Blake should be hoping for, but I think Vilardi is more valuable than Anderson. He’s two months younger than Anderson and is close to a .5 ppg player. So I think he has more leverage in terms of getting an offer sheet that makes the Kings blink.

The things in the Kings favor are his issues staying in the lineup and the cap projecting to jump two seasons from now. I still don’t see him ending up with an 8 year deal with this team for a fair cap hit, relative to market value. So I doubt his ask is for a number that makes things easy on management.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Why stop at Arvidsson and Durzi?

...and why wait until next year's trade deadline?
This is the team I think Blake brings back.

Those are the two UFAs they will look to move. See what others offer for Moore, Iaffalo, and Roy I guess.

Kaliyev I'm most unsure on.

I’d be offering him and Spence with Petersen.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
True - most diplomatic answer you could give. But im also reacting to having Cal pencilled in as the #1a at the beginning of the season which was total hopium after the previous season. Im hoping he doesnt actually believe what he said. At best you live with your waste of 15m and pencil Cal as your #3.. but that hurts Portillo's development if you give Cal too much time. Cal is a giant albatross in the org which cant be bought out for another year.
I completely agree with what the situation is with him, but as I say he can’t really reply any better than he did to whatever the question was. In fact, that he didn’t say something like ‘we have complete faith in him’, says a lot to me. There was no tyre pumping going on.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
If Durzi and Walker are both Kings at the beginning of the season, Blake is a f***ing idiot.
Blake’s exit interview sounds like Durzi will be back.

Walker can see the writing on the wall.

I completely agree with what the situation is with him, but as I say he can’t really reply any better than he did to whatever the question was. In fact, that he didn’t say something like ‘we have complete faith in him’, says a lot to me. There was no tyre pumping going on.
Yeah, I didn’t expect anything else from Blake there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad