Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
This.

Kings need some attitude.

Kostin was bullying players after the whistle all series. Same with Nurse.
They literally wore us down.
Soucy is every bit as good as Gavi but more physical.
Bjugstad wears you down with his size and is good defensively.

If Blake wants this team to move beyond the first round he needs to rebuild the 4th line with size, physicality and toughness.. I hope some of you understand that those three things are completely different things!!!

Our 3rd pairing was dogshit and that goes for our coach as well.

Drew needs to shut the f*** up and step up his game next season..

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
He's been playing very well in the AHL. Still a capable extra forward tough guy at the NHL. Basically put up better numbers than a lot of our "top prospects" this year.

Unfortunately, I think the AHL suits him better. He was great for us when he was here. But, there’s no need to bring him back..

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It's a bitter pill. The Kings have really good pieces, but they need a better identity and systems. I mean, they aren't fast and skilled enough to be a Colorado/Edmonton clone like Blake dreams. They get ragdolled and are way too passive. This offseason can go so many different ways it is hard to speculate as literally all the options to do anything are there and there is no obvious track they have to follow this time.

I think it will be hard to retain both Gavrikov and Korpisalo, especially assuming TMac isn't going anywhere and having experienced that first round. I honestly have no idea what the answer is in net. Korpi didn't play poorly at all, he was/is good enough, but also isn't going to steal any games for us like the vintage Quick days. I think of Copely as a lesser version of that as well. Giving Korpi a long-term $5M+ contract, which is going to be exactly what he is looking for this offseason, is unappetizing, but at the same time, if you could get Petersen off the books then I don't really have a problem with it.

I think Gavrikov is much more important to try to keep, though I am scared about what it would take. Part of me thinks he might be gone no matter what, but to retain him will likely take a monster contract and while I love what he brings, I am not sure he is worth the mercenary salary.

What happens to Gavrikov and Korpi will likely come down to Vilardi and how his next deal is handled. I'd be surprised if the Kings are able to get a reasonable bridge deal.

This offseason is going to be weird and now, in my opinion, officially starts the timer on Blake and TMac. I mean the timer has expired for much of the fanbase, but I think the official do-or-die timer with AEG has just begun. I think they actually may be gone if they don't have a convincing season next year. Blake has spent a lot of money, done a lot of good things, but has made quite a few mistakes. He just made a risky deal and punted a glorified face of the franchise off the roster in the process for a disappointing and slightly weak first-round exit. I think the pressure is now really on upper management and the conversation with ownership is not going to be as rose-colored or optimistic as it has been in the past. I just hope he doesn't do anything too stupid and there is no Forsberg for Erat deal on the horizon.

In the end, I loved Kempe's swagger and confidence as he is now a genuine top-tier goal-scoring threat in the NHL. Vilardi becoming a very strong and shifty offensive threat helps as well. I think Arvidsson will have more to try to prove next season as he enters a contract year and, while he has his flaws, he was definitely a dynamic piece of that 2nd line and the powerplay. I loved everything about Fiala and his feisty, competitive, nature. Anderson solidifying himself as a true stalwart top-4 defender and being signed long term, and lastly, Kopitar and Doughty showing up as best they can and overall having a pretty solid season and playoffs. I was not expecting Kopitar or Doughty to put up the numbers they did and still carry this team forward like usual, but they did answer the bell, and while they can't do everything themselves anymore they deserved better.

On the flip side, we need to determine what to do with our youth. The Isle of misfit rookies on the fourth line may need to stop and we should be looking to add some element that is tough to play against. Durzi needs to be jettisoned into space and be rid of. Clarke HAS to be on the team next year. Edler and Walker need to be gone without a second thought. Bjornfot and Spence need to have a legitimate showing next year. Some deals should be looked with our logjam prospects and picks to get some solid regular additions to the lineup overall. Hoping for more out of Moore and/or Iafallo and am wondering if there is room for both.

Disappointing year, but there is still a lot to look forward to; however, the doubts are creeping in.

Last edited:

Matt13

Jul 9, 2004
I would deploy Byfield and Kupari where they belong.
This would also help Kopitar with his retirement decision

Kaliev - Byfield - Kempe
Fiala - Kupari - Villardi
Grundstrom - Danauld - Fagemo
Iafallo - Kopitar - Moore

Anderson - Clarke
Gavrikov - Roy
Bjornfoot - Grans

Copley - Portillo

This would finish the rebuild in 2-3 years.
Thinking we are a playoff team right now is pure illusion
Byfield and Kupari over PD and Kopi?

If playoffs aren’t the goal, yes.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If we can re-sign Gavrikov, we have a perfectly good defense ready for next season:

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Roy

Put Anderson, Doughty, Gavrikov, and Roy out on penalty kills and Clarke and Doughty on power plays.

I’m fine re-signing Korpisalo if he takes a cheapish contract, something $3 million for 2 years. Not interested in long term goalie contracts at this time.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There's no way you can re-sign Gavrikov without giving something else up to make the cap space.

This is why trading a 1st for him was such a dumbass move. Even if you re-sign him, his roster impact is partially negated by losing someone else.

Or you have to throw your 2024 1st in the trashcan to get someone to take on Petersen's contract.

Reactions: chris kontos

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
There's no way you can re-sign Gavrikov without giving something else up to make the cap space.

This is why trading a 1st for him was such a dumbass move. Even if you re-sign him, his roster impact is partially negated by losing someone else.

Or you have to throw your 2024 1st in the trashcan to get someone to take on Petersen's contract.
If you can ditch Walker and Durzi which is obvious they should (4m)- with JQ former salary off the books (5.8), MacEwen ditched (1m) and 1m in 23/24 cap increase - you have about 12mil to get Gav, Vilardi and a #1 goalie.. thats a pretty tight squeeze but possible.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If the cap goes up by one million the team has $2.55M in projected space. Not much you can do to fill/patch holes and improve the roster with amount.

Vilardi is worth at least that much. Will be telling if he just receives his $800k QO in June and we get past July with no deal.

Kupari, JAD and Tobey are also up and probably happy to take their QOs. But that is still another $2.6M on the cap and they’re not waiver claim exempt anymore. Sure you spent two late firsts and a second on these guys, but I could see all three clearing waivers coming out of camp. So it’s safe to assume a good chunk of that cap hit could be taken off the NHL roster. The concern is that none of these guys project to be an everyday player next season.

Blake has shown he can make two major moves in the summer when the franchise believes the “window” is open for whatever specious reasons. Danault and RV. Fiala trade and extension.

Let’s see what he comes up with. He doesn’t have the flexibility to upgrade without subtracting from somewhere. It’s the choice of where to cut that requires creativity. But the track record suggests a bunch of half measures that avoid any difficult decisions during a period where the pressure is at its lowest.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
A few thoughts before my summer hibernation:

(1) Always felt that the only realistic way the Kings could win this series was for Korp to steal it. I basically lost faith in that actually transpiring after game 4 (side-note: I personally would've given serious consideration to starting Copley in Game 6 - for a few reasons, actually- , albeit you could probably kiss Korp good-bye after that. OTOH, he's probably walking anyway, so whatever).

(2) I guess I'm the only one that thinks Doughty had an (overall) very bad series - if this is what the Kings are going to be getting from him going-forward, I just don't see how this team can make the necessary leap without a couple of the young guys blowing up. The sad part is, IIRC, they won't even have that much money to bolster the defense when the new guy walks this summer. At least their first rounder could -- ah, nevermind.

(3) Luc, Blake, and McLeallan will still be in their respective roles come 2023 Opening Night - I'll take any wager to the contrary (note that I'm not debating the wisdom of said retention; just predicting). Barring a mid-year course correction (not even sure what that would entail, or if it's even really possible), here's "looking forward" to another season very much like the last two.

(4) Any chance the Ballys/RSN mess could be squared-away by the beginning of next season? Inquiring minds (i.e., the Boomers in my life) want to know.

"Go Hurricanes"

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Whatever happens, the goal should be fewer compromises in the roster but also realizing there will always be compromises in the roster. Question is, where?

Stop making compromises on D. If the back end is solid, problems like Lizotte as the 3C between Fiala and Vilardi, a goaltending platoon, Byfield & others taking longer to develop, etc are minimized if there is a defense to help cover it.

Gavrikov, Roy, Anderson, Doughty, Clarke, Spence and a stay at home shot blocker.

Korpisalo- don't think I'd bother. Maybe he needs glasses? Whatever, save the money, spend all of it on D.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If you can ditch Walker and Durzi which is obvious they should (4m)- with JQ former salary off the books (5.8), MacEwen ditched (1m) and 1m in 23/24 cap increase - you have about 12mil to get Gav, Vilardi and a #1 goalie.. thats a pretty tight squeeze but possible.

202324lakings2.jpg

Your numbers must be different than mine.

Even without Walker and Durzi, and the cap going up, I don't see how we keep this together without losing something else.

Maybe don't re-sign Korpisalo and take a gamble on a no name goalie? Maybe Vilardi and Gav sign for a million less than what I estimate?

Last edited:
Reactions: AbsentMojo

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Gonna be a fun off-season, hope all you mopes make it through with very little mental damage as possible....

Definitely have to solve the G issue, I don't know if Korpisalo is the answer, his playoff was poor to mediocre....there are not a lot of options out there for FA,

Jarry, Samsonov, only guys under 30 that are UFA....

Defense, if they sign Gavrikov, your top 4 are Doughty, Andersson, Gavrikov, Roy, with a bottom 2 of Durzi, Walker, Spence, Clarke.....if the idea is Clarke is in the AHL, then I see the bottom 3 break camp as your bottom 3, so 7 D on the roster....if they don't sign Gavrikov, and they have to go find one, you have Soucy (gonna be 4-5million) under 30, not many options there,

Forward group - I think Kupari has shown he can play 3rd line C, but if you want Byfield in there, then you run Kopitar, Danault, Byfield, Kupari down the middle, with Lizotte as the spare, on Wing, you run Kempe, Kaliyev, Arvidsson, Moore, Fiala, Vilardi, Grundstrom, Iafallo, that is barring any changes being made, I don't know if Danault, Arvidsson, Moore is a solid 2nd line anymore, I would mix and match through the pre-season and camp.

I don't see a shit ton of changes being made.....unless you have someone come along and really really want Iafallo, or you are willing to give up assets etc.

I’m not watching next season. That does it for me. Invest my time for an inevitable first round exit. There’s better things to do.

It’d be poetic justice for a great white shark to eat Blake while he’s surfing.

God you owe me one, here’s your chance.

Surprised you could spell inevitable to be honest....

Reactions: lumbergh

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
202324lakings2.jpg

Your numbers must be different than mine.

Even without Walker and Durzi, and the cap going up, I don't see how we keep this together without losing something else.

Maybe don't re-sign Korpisalo and take a gamble on a no name goalie? Maybe Vilardi and Gav sign for a million less than what I estimate?
I think the flaw in my math was not including Moore's new contract for 23/24 - that was a bad signing given the holes. This is definitely cap purgatory will need to move RV or Iafallo to get Gavi, Vilardi and a goalie. You pencilled in the estimates I feel are about right for each of them. Edit: the other option is to move Matt Roy - a painful but reasonable idea if you have to pick your poison.. since you can slot in Spence and Clarke - and Roys next contract will be similar to Gavi (so basically you commit to left handed Roy going fwd)

Last edited:

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Save your complaints about the coaching staff… they aren’t going anywhere unfortunately. Probably going to get extended, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Telos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad