Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
so here we are smack in the middle of mediocrity hell with few draft picks, little cap space and a first round exit. now, we are facing a rebuild without the tools to do it. as a total rebuild should have been done upon the exit of lombardi and everybody else blake felt would threaten the surf club.
the only positive measure i can think of is to totally clean house in the front office and todd and his assts. then hire actual hockey executives and coaches with experience of relating to college kids and winning. and of course do the total roster rebuild that was never carried out correctly in the first place.
Blakes stated goals of winning a cup with kopitar and doughty never was realistic. his goal was, and is win just enough to keep butts in seats and keep cashing those sweet paychecks, keeping uncle phil off his boys asses.
presently our front office consists of a multply concussed zillionare, a high school dropout imbicile and a proven incompetent consultant. along with other surfers and retirement seekers. dont believe me about bergevin? as the montreal guys about his tenure as gm there.
so a dark view. but i think we can get right but only after the painful changes are made.

@Schmooley tell me again how now one is clamoring for a teardown?

Reactions: Schmooley

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Welp, it was an exciting series but it’s time to focus on how to improve them..
Gavrikov was great but if his rumored ask if correct, Blake need to be smart and sign two LHD immediately in the off-season..
Carson Soucy and Brian Dumoulin are who I’d target..
Arvidsson, Iafallo, Durzi, Walker and Possibly Roy need to be moved out to clear salary, spots and gain capital to potentially move Cal..
Gabe needs to be signed LT and Rasmus is likely to blossom into a defensive stud with offensive potential.. yes, he really can

I still stand by my comments from the beginning of the season… Todd needs to go, he’s a great builder of structure but he isn’t the guy that takes you far.

Kempe - Kopitar - Kaliyev

Moore - Danault - Kupari

Fiala - Byfield - Vilardi

Lucic/Tonka - Lizzo - JAD/Reaves

Anderson - Doughty

Soucy - Clarke

Dumoulin - Spence

Korpisalo
Copley
+1 for emphasis.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Both Helene Elliott and Dennis Bernstein already writing articles or giving interviews saying Kings need to get bigger.

So for the fans putting together a 4th line with players like Turcotte, Lizotte and putting a D line up of Durzi, Spence, Doughty and Clarke it ain’t happening.

The Oilers D was huge and Kings had no match for guys like Kostin and Bjugstad. The type of players Blake should have acquired at the deadline.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
No one is expecting a complete teardown you are exaggerating. The consensus is major-ish changes will be needed so they arent first round fodder for the next 5 years.
What's another five? They are already nine deep.

Reactions: Schmooley

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Both Helene Elliott and Dennis Bernstein already writing articles or giving interviews saying Kings need to get bigger.

So for the fans putting together a 4th line with players like Turcotte, Lizotte and putting a D line up of Durzi, Spence, Doughty and Clarke it ain’t happening.

The Oilers D was huge and Kings had no match for guys like Kostin and Bjugstad. The type of players Blake should have acquired at the deadline.
f*** it, Nick Ritchie - Ramus Kupari - Garnet Hathaway 4th line.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i just want kaliyev, bjornfot, spence, clarke integrated

realistically i don't think much of anything changes next season except PERHAPS a coaching change after todd was roundly mocked on national TV

24-25 this team can be properly shuffled without cap restrictions unless blake gives vilardi and gavrikov the moon

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Having slept on it I'll compile my thoughts about the series and the season as a whole into a good vs bad.

The Good:
-Adrian Kempe has become an absolute stud. I thought when we drafted him and after his first few seasons he'd become a consistent 20 goals, 20 assists kind of player. What an explosion of offense from him that I'd never thought I'd see.

-Nice breakout season from Vilardi. Many of us had written him off, but the skill was always there. Shame he got hurt down the stretch because the team probably could've used him. Top priority to get him resigned.

-Fiala was outstanding overall, really helped changed the whole complexity of the team once he arrived, both 5v5 and on the powerplay.

-Hiring Jim Hiller was one of the best hiring's this team has made in years. I've never seen a coach come in and do a complete 180 for a teams powerplay. I've been watching this team since 2006 and the powerplay has never been this good.

-Despite getting horrific goaltending at the beginning of the season, they managed to end up with 104 points and were one of the better teams in the last few months.

-While Kopi is getting up there in age he still manages to remain consistent with his production

-Arvidsson was really good this year. Missed some games last year and missed the playoffs and we saw what he could do when he was fully healthy

-Pheonix Copley. Not much to say about him, but ultimately he saved our season. I don't want to imagine where this team would've ended up if kept going with Quick and Petersen the whole season.

The Bad:
-What an absolutely abysmal penalty kill this team has. For as good as the powerplay was, the penalty kill literally was the death of this team. I don't even think its a personnel issue, the mentality and the set up was just terrible. If Yawney is in charge of the PK he needs to go.

-Cal Petersen. Don't think I've ever seen a goaltender look so defeated in the crease. To go from getting starter money and then to can't even win games in the AHL all within a couple of months is actually kind of impressive. What a boat anchor he's become. If he had even a mediocre season Quick is probably still here, he's the reason we had to trade Quick because no one was to going to touch him with a 10 foot pole.

-Durzi, Edler, Walker. I'm keeping these guys together because while they all have their own faults, these guys collectively brought down the level of the defense. Durzi for all the good he does, he is truly weak for his number priority and that's defense. I love the guy and I love his moxie, but we have 2 guys coming up that are better than him. Edler is at the end of the road and he just can't keep up anymore and it was a mistake to bring him back. Walker is a trooper from coming back from those serious injuries and I will say he played better as the season went along, but much like Durzi there are 2 guys behind him that are better than him.

-4th line as a whole. The guys that were rotating in and out the lineup for the 4th line was not consistent at all this year compared to last year. I thought for a while JAD was playing well and then TMac decided to bench him for whatever reason and then was never able to get playing time. Kupari can show flashes of what he can be, but he's played a lot of NHL games now and he hasn't shown that he can produce on a regular basis. He can be a solid defensive winger/center for this team, but he needs to show more. Kaliyev is frustrating because I think the issues this season for him was 50% him and 50% the coaching staff. Obviously Kaliyev needs to be better 5v5 and he wasn't good the 2nd half of the season, but his deployment and the need to play with better players is patently obvious. This kid is an absolute weapon and if they trade him away, he'll become a perennial 30 goal scorer easily. Zach MacEwen is a terrible hockey player plain and simple. I understand trading Lemieux away, but this guy was a huge downgrade from the physicality, skill and nastiness that Lemieux brought to this team. I wouldn't even bother bringing him back, just a complete waste of a roster spot.

-While the Oilers were probably the worst matchup we could've had, we had no one else to blame but ourselves. While the Knights and Oilers were winning games as well, all of this could've been avoided if they just took care of business when they needed to. You compare how they played in March vs to how they played in April, its no surprise they lost in 6. You can blame it on injuries or whatever, but the play simply wasn't good enough.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
So let’s say that is case. Where do you do deploy him? Kopi and PD have 1,2 locked up.next year and I don’t see Kopi retiring after that.
I would deploy Byfield and Kupari where they belong.
This would also help Kopitar with his retirement decision

Kaliev - Byfield - Kempe
Fiala - Kupari - Villardi
Grundstrom - Danauld - Fagemo
Iafallo - Kopitar - Moore

Anderson - Clarke
Gavrikov - Roy
Bjornfoot - Grans

Copley - Portillo

This would finish the rebuild in 2-3 years.
Thinking we are a playoff team right now is pure illusion

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I would deploy Byfield and Kupari where they belong.
This would also help Kopitar with his retirement decision

Kaliev - Byfield - Kempe
Fiala - Kupari - Villardi
Grundstrom - Danauld - Fagemo
Iafallo - Kopitar - Moore

This would finish the rebuild in 2-3 years.
Thinking we are a real playoff team is pure illusion
Soft.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Never too early for dramatic takes and judgement of 20-23 year olds......
I’ll say the same thing I said before he was drafted, the same thing I said when he was on team Canada and the same thing I’ve said this year. He’s a “million dollar arm and a ten cent brain”. He’s a guy that was drafted because he’s big and fast but doesn’t play big or fast. He just doesn’t seem to have the mindset to be special.
He’s a step behind mentally. Being slow to read plays makes him slow to get started and slow to get in position. He takes bad angles, and does not keep his stick on the ice.

He’s also soft. His stick is lifted as easy as a yo-yo. He’s easily moved. He prefers to poke the puck rather take it the puck. He just plays timidly.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
i just want kaliyev, bjornfot, spence, clarke integrated

realistically i don't think much of anything changes next season except PERHAPS a coaching change after todd was roundly mocked on national TV
Can you expand on that pls? who said what re Koala

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
Posted this in the 22/23 rumor thread but this thread seems more appropriate.

Forwards
Xxx(digger- Iafallo/Moore?)Kopitar-Kempe
xxx(PWF)-Danault-Arvidsson (I think we lean too much on this line offensively and need them to return to shutdown/checking line)
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
Kupari-Lizotte-xxx(physical wing)

Extras:
Arthur Kaliyev
Alex Iafallo
Trevor Moore
Carl Grundstrom
Jaret Anderson Dolan

Defense
Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov?-Roy
Xxx(hard nosed D)-Clarke

Extras:
Durzi
Walker
Edler
Bjornfot
Spence

Goalies

Korpisalo?
Copley

Extras:
Petersen

And of course a head coach capable of making adjustments in a 7 game series

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
game 5 dominic moore was just railing on the PK passivity and the trap on the ESPN feed, i heard SN was doing the same

worst part was he was being entirely fair but he was completely baffled
Thats good.. I hope AEG dude was paying attention.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

That’s funny, because when I mentioned we should replace Lizzo with Bjugstad I got laughed at..
with Gavrikov supposedly going to ask for Ekholm monies we’d be better off using our cap and potential cap to sign Soucy, Dumoulin, Bjugstad, Lucic or Reaves.. I would even inquire about swapping Walker for Kassian

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
That’s funny, because when I mentioned we should replace Lizzo with Bjugstad I got laughed at..
with Gavrikov supposedly going to ask for Ekholm monies we’d be better off using our cap and potential cap to sign Soucy, Dumoulin, Bjugstad, Lucic or Reaves.. I would even inquire about swapping Walker for Kassian
This.

Kings need some attitude.

Kostin was bullying players after the whistle all series. Same with Nurse.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Damn. Kind of sad to see Cliffy in the AHL playoffs. Hope he’s having fun though.
He's been playing very well in the AHL. Still a capable extra forward tough guy at the NHL. Basically put up better numbers than a lot of our "top prospects" this year.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Having slept on it I'll compile my thoughts about the series and the season as a whole into a good vs bad.

The Good:
-Adrian Kempe has become an absolute stud. I thought when we drafted him and after his first few seasons he'd become a consistent 20 goals, 20 assists kind of player. What an explosion of offense from him that I'd never thought I'd see.

-Nice breakout season from Vilardi. Many of us had written him off, but the skill was always there. Shame he got hurt down the stretch because the team probably could've used him. Top priority to get him resigned.

-Fiala was outstanding overall, really helped changed the whole complexity of the team once he arrived, both 5v5 and on the powerplay.

-Hiring Jim Hiller was one of the best hiring's this team has made in years. I've never seen a coach come in and do a complete 180 for a teams powerplay. I've been watching this team since 2006 and the powerplay has never been this good.

-Despite getting horrific goaltending at the beginning of the season, they managed to end up with 104 points and were one of the better teams in the last few months.

-While Kopi is getting up there in age he still manages to remain consistent with his production

-Arvidsson was really good this year. Missed some games last year and missed the playoffs and we saw what he could do when he was fully healthy

-Pheonix Copley. Not much to say about him, but ultimately he saved our season. I don't want to imagine where this team would've ended up if kept going with Quick and Petersen the whole season.

The Bad:
-What an absolutely abysmal penalty kill this team has. For as good as the powerplay was, the penalty kill literally was the death of this team. I don't even think its a personnel issue, the mentality and the set up was just terrible. If Yawney is in charge of the PK he needs to go.

-Cal Petersen. Don't think I've ever seen a goaltender look so defeated in the crease. To go from getting starter money and then to can't even win games in the AHL all within a couple of months is actually kind of impressive. What a boat anchor he's become. If he had even a mediocre season Quick is probably still here, he's the reason we had to trade Quick because no one was to going to touch him with a 10 foot pole.

-Durzi, Edler, Walker. I'm keeping these guys together because while they all have their own faults, these guys collectively brought down the level of the defense. Durzi for all the good he does, he is truly weak for his number priority and that's defense. I love the guy and I love his moxie, but we have 2 guys coming up that are better than him. Edler is at the end of the road and he just can't keep up anymore and it was a mistake to bring him back. Walker is a trooper from coming back from those serious injuries and I will say he played better as the season went along, but much like Durzi there are 2 guys behind him that are better than him.

-4th line as a whole. The guys that were rotating in and out the lineup for the 4th line was not consistent at all this year compared to last year. I thought for a while JAD was playing well and then TMac decided to bench him for whatever reason and then was never able to get playing time. Kupari can show flashes of what he can be, but he's played a lot of NHL games now and he hasn't shown that he can produce on a regular basis. He can be a solid defensive winger/center for this team, but he needs to show more. Kaliyev is frustrating because I think the issues this season for him was 50% him and 50% the coaching staff. Obviously Kaliyev needs to be better 5v5 and he wasn't good the 2nd half of the season, but his deployment and the need to play with better players is patently obvious. This kid is an absolute weapon and if they trade him away, he'll become a perennial 30 goal scorer easily. Zach MacEwen is a terrible hockey player plain and simple. I understand trading Lemieux away, but this guy was a huge downgrade from the physicality, skill and nastiness that Lemieux brought to this team. I wouldn't even bother bringing him back, just a complete waste of a roster spot.

-While the Oilers were probably the worst matchup we could've had, we had no one else to blame but ourselves. While the Knights and Oilers were winning games as well, all of this could've been avoided if they just took care of business when they needed to. You compare how they played in March vs to how they played in April, its no surprise they lost in 6. You can blame it on injuries or whatever, but the play simply wasn't good enough.
Completely agree with your assessment. I'm not as down on this team as some others are. If you really critique this entire series, it came down to exactly what you pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad