Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
As for our offense...

We need a top center. I love Kopitar, he's the second best player to ever wear a Kings uniform, but he doesn't have the speed he once did and that's not going to improve. Danault is a good second- or great third-line center, but we're relying on him offensively more than we should. The problem is, we can't afford a top center until Kopitar's $10 million is off the books. What do we do in the meantime? The sad fact of the matter is that our third best center right now is actually Blake Lizotte.

We do have some very talented wingers, surprisingly. That's not a statement I've been able to make in... ever?

Kempe - xxx - Vilardi
Fiala - xxx - Arvidsson
Iafallo - xxx - Moore
Byfield - xxx - Kaliyev

If we're really, really, really being honest with ourselves, all of our young drafted players are defensive liabilities. Byfield, Kaliyev, Kupari, even Vilardi to some extent. These guys all have 100+ NHL games under their belts. Yes, they're young, but they need to take some pretty big steps forward here soon. Vilardi did, so I guess if we're going by age that means Kupari needs to take that next big step next year. Is it possible? I don't know. If we don't make any other moves, I guess this is what we should hope to see next season:

Kempe - Kopitar - Vilardi
Fiala - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Lizotte - Moore
Byfield - Kupari - Kaliyev

These aren't the line combinations I'd like to see, just ranking our wingers in terms of current ability today. That means that in my opinion, Kempe is better than Fiala, who is better than Iafallo, who is better than Byfield, etc.

But I think something needs to change. Sure, we can expect some improvements from our younger players, but we also need to expect some regression from our older players. Where does that leave us? Exactly where we were this season? Another first-round loss to the Oilers? Maybe they're just our kryptonite, I'm willing to accept that. It's hard to beat them. But we did worse this season than last season, and last season our team was riddled with injuries. The Oilers improved in to key areas from last season to this season -- their goaltending and their defense. It helps that they've got the two best players in the world, of course.

I don't know what to do. The goal is to win the cup, the rebuild is definitely over. The problem is, we didn't give any of our young players the opportunity to be the guy. I don't agree with @Kurrilino on everything, but if Byfield was forced to be the number one center, would he be that same passive player that he is right now? If Kupari was forced to be the second line center, or if Turcotte had been thrown into the NHL instead of the AHL, would their careers be looking different? Hell, look at Vilardi even. His rookie season at center on one of the worst Kings teams in recent memory was the fourth-best Kings rookie season by points per game since the 2004 lockout.

I'm not saying we need to go back to the drawing board, but I'm not not saying that either. I think it's a leadership, coaching, and development problem.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

The audacity

"More Blake: Says there aren’t a lot of holes to be addressed this summer "

Except the ones in your thick head. You dont have a signed #1 goalie or 2LD and those arent holes? And you dont have enough money to sign those 2 spots AND Vilardi. Idiotic.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Even without assessing performance changes will need to happen because of the cap. Gavrikov needs to be re-signed as does Vilardi. The most moveable two are Arvidsson and Roy. I think you have to move Arvidsson and because there are enough decent options at wing it is something which can be swallowed. Roy can be moved IF Gavrikov is resigned and the other LD position is filled with grit and a shutdown skillset.

Of they want to move the needle they need to get Clarke into the lineup from day 1, and ideally Spence also. An additional physical LD that can eat minutes will afford a balanced set of pairings and counter the loss of Roy. Walker needs to be moved and Durzi also IMO. If they can’t afford a good physical LD Björnfot needs to be in there and trusted. If you don’t trade Roy I don’t know where the cap space realistically comes from but you may as well trade Spence whilst he still has good value.

My observations with Björnfot is that he’s taken a step back and that is because of how he’s been handled. He’s over thinking and slightly tentative. As I said with QB this generation need to feel trusted and wanted, or else they will struggle. Even if they aren’t trusted they need to be convinced they are.

In terms of cap management I guess Blake could do a cap trade and get in a slightly overpaid LD by trading someone like Moore the other way. It’s going to take that type of approach of something similar for a physical winger. They need Kaliyev in the top 9 or else trade him.

Maybe Spence is the piece they move with Petersen to get cap space… again, they need to clear some RD space and get cap space. I’m just spitballing really on what the options might be.

They need to let QB take what he’s learned and just go play uninhibited. Let him go drive the offence on his line and not worry about the consequences of mistakes. It’ll allow him to stop thinking about what he should do, so he can just be instinctive. Exactly what his P.O. goal was about.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015

I think Vilardi may be the one they can negotiate with, kind of how they did with Mikey. Underpay Mikey 1 million and then do the 4.125 million mid season long term deal. Because, Gavrikov won't do such a thing and he shouldn't. Maybe Gabe would do a 1 year, 2.5 million deal, with a handshake that they will then negotiate a proper, mid-season, long term deal. I don't see him taking the 1 million Mikey did, but perhaps a King favored deal, with promise of mid season longterm.

If he does that, can have room for Gavrikov and Korpisalo. Had the Kings won rd1 and possibly rd 2,
Korpisalo would be harder to sign. I think he won't have a market over doubling his 1.3 beyond 2.6. He was not spectacular, but had to make tons of key saves every game and was good. The PK was responsible for roughly half of the 9 PP goals. It may be a blessing that he can probably only get apx 2.6. Although, if he has the same agent that AA got 2.7 mil, for sucking, then who knows.

If they move Walker, (2.65) it's not enough to sign Gabe, Gavriokov, Korpisalo and other RFA. (Kupari. Bjornfot, JAD, Fagemo, Thomas, I'd let several walk: MacEwen, Edler gone. Would consider letting Madden go. The Kings need size in the future. I'm against dealing Arty and would be Ok if one of AI or Moore were dealt....but no one will give much for a 4.2 million Moore.
The 3 of: Moore, AI, and Moore are all smallish and I'm good if one is moved and get some size up front. I hope they can make Helenius a player and fast. Hope Pinelli and Laferriere are given huge roles next year on the Reign and can fast track. Turcotte? the great unknown. the only known with him, is that he's injured 50% of the time.

I'd deal both Durzi and Walker, 100%. 4.35 million in cap.

I will add: under no circumstances, negotiate during season with Kopitar. Will be a distraction and may get messy, if Kopi thinks he's getting 3 more yrs at 8.5 million, or some such. NO. Next offseason, may be a turning point, where that kind of money is earmarked to get a Matthews. not a 38 year old Kopi (2024-2027) That could be a disaster. Kopi? How can you not love him? That does not mean you give him another deal that sets the org back. You can't. I don't see Kopi taking a 1 year, 3 million deal. But, that should be reality, with him being 38 by then, as this will be a topic come September.

>>>

Last edited:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i guess i can't act surprised at those blake comments

the org is happy with "get in and see what happens", this team is likely to "get in and see what happens" next season so...

disappointing as a fan but that lack of hunger is characteristic of the org top to bottom

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
This would be similar to Dean Lombardi saying, "We need Dan Cloutier to be an NHL goalie again. That's what we signed him for.", way back in 2007.
Ya and likewise after giving him an undeserved big contract extension. Blake is living in a sunk cost fallacy delusion re Cal.

Reactions: KINGS17

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I think Vilardi may be the one they can negotiate with, kind of how they did with Mikey. Underpay Mikey 1 million and then do the 4.125 million mid season long term deal. Because, Gavrikov won't do such a thing and he shouldn't. Maybe Gabe would do a 1 year, 2.5 million deal, with a handshake that they will then negotiate a proper, mid-season, long term deal. I don't see him taking the 1 million Mikey did, but perhaps a King favored deal, with promise of mid season longterm.

If he does that, can have room for Gavrikov and Korpisalo. Had the Kings won rd1 and possibly rd 2,
Korpisalo would be harder to sign. I think he won't have a market over doubling his 1.3 beyond 2.6. He was not spectacular, but had to make tons of key saves every game and was good. The PK was responsible for roughly half of the 9 PP goals. It may be a blessing that he can probably only get apx 2.6. Although, if he has the same agent that AA got 2.7 mil, for sucking, then who knows.

If they move Walker, (2.65) it's not enough to sign Gabe, Gavriokov, Korpisalo and other RFA. (Kupari. Bjornfot, JAD, Fagemo, Thomas, I'd let several walk: MacEwen, Edler gone. Would consider letting Madden go. The Kings need size in the future. I'm against dealing Arty and would be Ok if one of AI or Moore were dealt....but no one will give much for a 4.2 million Moore.
The 3 of: Moore, AI, and Moore are all smallish and I'm good if one is moved and get some size up front. I hope they can make Helenius a player and fast. Hope Pinelli and Laferriere are given huge roles next year on the Reign and can fast track. Turcotte? the great unknown. the only known with him, is that he's injured 50% of the time.

I'd deal both Durzi and Walker, 100%. 4.35 million in cap.

>>>
Agreed almost to the letter!

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ya and likewise after giving him an undeserved big contract extension. Blake is living in a sunk cost fallacy delusion re Cal.
Two mistakes. One GM with skill in critical self-evaluation fixing it, the other with barely any skill at all.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Two mistakes. One GM with skill in critical self-evaluation fixing it, the other with barely any skill at all.
Seems they had different goals: one guy wanted cups the other guy wants to make the post season and see what happens. DL had paid his dues in SJ and Philly and had a vision.. Blake was handed the AGM and the GM job and is winging it.

Reactions: KINGS17

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
What I think the Kings needs for next season is this. I know fans are not going to like this one. Just as Bowness did in Winnipeg, it needs to be done with the Kings. Kopitar is a great centerman but he is not Captain material. He is way too soft, can he score goals and set up scoring chances. Yes. But he has no heart when it comes to the physical side of the game. he doesn't have what it takes to pick up this team when things are going bad. His team mates were getting man handled and he just continued to turn the other check. It is evident that he doesn't want to get involved in the physical stuff. Heck Brown would get involved, Brown would go out a lay a player out with a good hard body check and send a message. Kings need a Captain that will hold players accountable, Stand up for his team mates. This influences the team to stand up for each other. Second. Kings need to get bigger and stronger up front and on Defense. It is so evident when they play teams with big players, Kings cannot move them and get rag dolled. I like Spence and Clark but they are not big and strong. They will have to overcome that with speed and positioning. Both need to hire a physical trainer and beef up on the muscle side. They have to be able to box players out from in front of the net. Kempe is the type of player I like. He has size can skate, score and even gets physical. That is the type of players Kings need. I would give him the Captain role. They are not going to win with Moore, Lizzy, Arvi who are small players that get manhandled. Arvi can score but gets knocked down pretty easy a lot.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Assuming they go into a rebuild/retool a big target for us should be Adam Lowry.

6'6, 210lbs, good in both ends, physical, great in the dot. Would be an ideal 3C.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
No one should be surprised about Blake on TMac or Cal. TMac isn't going anywhere. If he flips the table on coaching and the system he brought in then the very next misstep or early playoff exit is his own job. TMac is likely his last stop or a desperation next to last stop, his rope is ending and right now he has to make it work with what he's built.

As for Cal, there is nothing else he can say. He isn't going to say he thinks Cal is done for and he isn't going to indicate that he's willing to get bent over the trade table. If Korpi walks and they don't find a solid/quick fix. Next season very well might start with Copley/Cal in the net.

Reactions: AbsentMojo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad