Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
People will criticize Blake for "doing nothing" when usually doing nothing is the best thing to do.
I think at this point, Blake has made his bed. He has three major holes: LD, toughness/resilience, and goaltending.

These are the sources and the difficulties of each type of capital to trade for these pieces:
- 1st round pick. The Kings already traded last year's. Trading first round picks multiple years in a row has to have some definite playoff impact, because you're sacrificing many futures. But will the pieces put the Kings over the top?
- NHL-ready prospects (Byfield, Spence, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Clarke). All these players have roles they are expected to fill in the most. Kaliyev is the most "expendable" per se, because players like Fiala and Kempe are still pretty young. But with the Kings wanting to play a more offensive game, do you want to trade that? Same with Byfield. Bjornfot is the least offensive in terms of ability, but he's also one of the only NHL-ready LD in the organization (aside from Anderson). So, that leaves with Spence and Clarke, both of which are having unreal production in their respective leagues.
- Prospects that aren't ready. These just don't have as much value. You're not going to get much for Turcotte or Grans. Fagemo could qualify as NHL-ready, but he's also not beating any of the above for a spot. I also don't know how much value he really has.

If Blake can get some sort of decent player for a mid-round pick, OR if he can acquire an NHL-ready prospect with similar projectability as the player traded away (for example, if Kaliyev is traded for an NHL-ready, high-tier LD or goalie at the same age, then it's a great trade).

But frankly, I'd rather Blake not make a big trade. Ride out the season and address some of the weaknesses with free agency or try to draft some more quality players.

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
There was something with Matheson maybe on the block a couple weeks ago, I forgot where I saw it. He would be a good pickup, 6' 2" signed through 25/26 $4.875m

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Why are you guys always so worried about picks? Kings can barely develop top 5 picks and you guys are acting like they’re missing the next Gretzky if they trade their first round pick. The amount of blunders and mid-steps the Kings make with draft picks I think you guys should sleep easy at night if they get traded because we probably weren’t drafting shit to begin with.
The reason i care about picks is that we will likely need some valuable ones in order to solve the Goalie issue properly. Maybe even LHD. Not to mention keeping some decent young prospects coming into the pipeline. I'm ok using the picks, as long as they are for top level difference makers who have term and are young (20-24 preferably; at max 27-28).

Reactions: King'sPawn

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Matheson is horrible!

Kings can move Kayilev, Iafallo, Walker and Bjornfot - those are the only players that other teams might want and the Kings can afford to move.

Moore is signed longer than AI.

Chromiak might be the next Kayilev. Also, Kings have no issue scoring now with Arvidsson and Fiala.

Bjornfot is a bust - he doesn't excel in one area. He's not big, plays physical or can provide offense.

Walker - no comment. They need to make room for Spence.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Why are you guys always so worried about picks? Kings can barely develop top 5 picks and you guys are acting like they’re missing the next Gretzky if they trade their first round pick. The amount of blunders and mid-steps the Kings make with draft picks I think you guys should sleep easy at night if they get traded because we probably weren’t drafting shit to begin with.
The Kings still need to have cost-controlled talent. You can disagree with the level of talent, but ultimately, they can't lean on all vets.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Blake has objectively bungled the roster in a year in which the team could have taken a big step forward by pushing into later playoff rounds.

So no, he shouldn’t make some nonsense panic move like Clarke for Chychrun. But he’s still going to catch shade, and deservedly so, for putting the team in this position to begin with.

The Kings might push into the later rounds anyway. No one in the conference is head and shoulders above them, they can definitely beat anyone in their division in a series. At the same time I don't see a reason for the team to flat out go for it because they aren't head and shoulders above anyone else, either.

There is essentially no pressure on Blake right now, so a panic move isn't in the cards for sure. It would be incredibly stupid. I don't really agree that he's put the team in a bad spot, they have been in and out of the top 10 NHL teams for a while now. A lot of that is the Fiala trade, which was a shrewd move that is paying major dividends, and will be throughout his prime.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I won’t argue on your forum. I think you guys dodged a bullet today. Good luck this week!

We know you guys got all juicey at the thought of Brandt Clarke… We knew the “rumour” was bogus but didn’t think you guys would take the bait hook, line, and sinker.

Good luck at the draft - though I don’t want Bedard out West I wouldn’t mind seeing him in a Yotes throwback uniform (in a proper NHL-sized arena, that is).

:cheers:

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
We know you guys got all juicey at the thought of Brandt Clarke… We knew the “rumour” was bogus but didn’t think you guys would take the bait hook, line, and sinker.

Good luck at the draft - though I don’t want Bedard out West I wouldn’t mind seeing him in a Yotes throwback uniform (in a proper NHL-sized arena, that is).

Nah man, Clarke for Chychrun got held up because AZ wouldn't take Clarke.
:laugh:

:sarcasm:
Edit: meant Walker, but yeah.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Steve Zissou

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kopitar has only one year left on his contract after this year. He will be a UFA 2024-25 at the age of 36-37.

This is why JT Miller makes sense. He is 29 and can play center and wing.

-Danault is not a #1 center.
-Kings moved Vilardi to wing.
-Kings moved Byfield to wing and honestly he's still not looking great.
-No way Turcotte will be a #1 center in two years.

Behind Danault, the centers are Lizotte and Kupari.
That’s an easy decision.. you resign Kopi to yearly deals.. Kopi isn’t retiring after next season and he’s still a better all around player than JT Miller.. that dude isn’t a player that can play in Todd’s system

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
That’s an easy decision.. you resign Kopi to yearly deals.. Kopi isn’t retiring after next season and he’s still a better all around player than JT Miller.. that dude isn’t a player that can play in Todd’s system
Can we trade Todd? Maybe we can get “future considerations” for him?

Reactions: Schrute farms

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't really agree that he's put the team in a bad spot, they have been in and out of the top 10 NHL teams for a while now. A lot of that is the Fiala trade, which was a shrewd move that is paying major dividends, and will be throughout his prime.
The Kings are in a pretty healthy situation for now and the future organizationally speaking. Blake has done a good job IMO.

He's made mistakes of course, but mistakes are inevitable regardless of who the GM is.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Like Roy was never going to become a top 4 D?

Just saying absolutes on 18-19-20 year old kids are kinda....moronic....
True, but the probabilities are much lower.
Pinelli lacks the speed and scoring to be a 1C, maybe he can develop into a 2C but even that’s a long shot. Laf is nowhere near Penilli’s talent level so I’m not sure why he’s even being mentioned. He’s done nothing to date to warrant being mentioned as a possible 1C

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
True, but the probabilities are much lower.
Pinelli lacks the speed and scoring to be a 1C, maybe he can develop into a 2C but even that’s a long shot. Laf is nowhere near Penilli’s talent level so I’m not sure why he’s even being mentioned. He’s done nothing to date to warrant being mentioned as a possible 1C

Fair enough....I was making more of a general statement about absolutes than anything

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
To your point, kid was a 7th round pick, like 1 in 50 of those play more than a handful of NHL games.

Exactly....which is why absolutes are a terrible way to project kids.....

To your point, kid was a 7th round pick, like 1 in 50 of those play more than a handful of NHL games.

And I'm an idiot, misread the to your point....etc.....too much work.....

Reactions: KopitarFAN

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017

not him, he'd prefer zellweger over clarke lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Zissou

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The Kings still need to have cost-controlled talent. You can disagree with the level of talent, but ultimately, they can't lean on all vets.
I guess where I differ is that I think all the big players are pretty much hitting the NHL really soon. I don’t think drafting is that much of a priority right now with the lack of available spaces and a deep pool. While the Kings are low on LD and goalie prospects I think that the issues needing to be fixed need to be fixed now rather than later 3-5 years by the time they’re nhl bound

Reactions: KopitarFAN

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I guess where I differ is that I think all the big players are pretty much hitting the NHL really soon. I don’t think drafting is that much of a priority right now with the lack of available spaces and a deep pool. While the Kings are low on LD and goalie prospects I think that the issues needing to be fixed need to be fixed now rather than later 3-5 years by the time they’re nhl bound
King's are bumping into the cap now. Some players will need raises or free agents might be brought in. Players on ELC's will be needed to maximize the talent under the cap.

Don't want to move players like Grans, because he should be hitting when the King's are running into the cap.

Don't mind moving some picks. Fiala trade was great. Don't want to go full TB & just fire the scouting department.

Moving picks for long term solutions would be fine, but moving picks for depth guys without fixing the problem in net first is just a waste.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
The Kings are in a pretty healthy situation for now and the future organizationally speaking. Blake has done a good job IMO.

He's made mistakes of course, but mistakes are inevitable regardless of who the GM is.

I agree....prospect depth and drafting has been certainly above average. If he makes no moves at the deadline he can address the LHD/Goalie issue in offseason which clearly are the weak links with almost all forwards returning and under contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad