Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Matheson is horrible!

Kings can move Kayilev, Iafallo, Walker and Bjornfot - those are the only players that other teams might want and the Kings can afford to move.

Moore is signed longer than AI.

Chromiak might be the next Kayilev. Also, Kings have no issue scoring now with Arvidsson and Fiala.

Bjornfot is a bust - he doesn't excel in one area. He's not big, plays physical or can provide offense.

Walker - no comment. They need to make room for Spence.

Bjornfot is a bust? At 21 years old? Way too early to call that. Guy has already shown flashes of what he can do. I think he's going to keep getting better.

The Kings are probably worried about Spence's size and that was evident in the playoffs, even though it was like being thrown into the fire for him since he's a rookie.

I think a lot of people want to make a move just because they are getting ancy. I respect how patient Blake has been. He may have signed a couple of bad contracts, but he's never had a lopsided trade. That is one aspect of him that I have really grown to appreciate. The Kings are on pretty much the same pace as last year and just need to shore up a couple areas to become a significantly better team.

Last edited:

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
I really don’t get Blake…so damn frustrating!
LD was a need since before the season started and before then as well…its come down to 4 days to make a move …and this asshat does nothing…man!

Reactions: Jungle Boy and YP44

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I really don’t get Blake…so damn frustrating!
LD was a need since before the season started and before then as well…its come down to 4 days to make a move …and this asshat does nothing…man!
Blake has been addressing this team's needs - maybe not on everyone's expected timeframe. Nobody here would have thought Quick and Petersen both would sh*t the bed this year. Not even Blake saw that coming. But having Copley really quelled a lot of that. Really the only thing you can knock him for at this point is the LHD. I just don't see who you can get without paying a King's ransom. I think if we could have locked up some of these UFA's on an extension he would have pulled the trigger.

He might still have something cooking for Chychrun. I think Arizona is really going to start losing some leverage as that contract ages. Will Edmonton overpay for him? I think we are really that last two teams that could potentially make a move. If it's a 1st and a guy like Spence/Turcotte I would pull the trigger on that.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I agree....prospect depth and drafting has been certainly above average. If he makes no moves at the deadline he can address the LHD/Goalie issue in offseason which clearly are the weak links with almost all forwards returning and under contract.
I think that if he does not address three things by the end of the offseason (or earlier as in Friday) it will be major failure
1) Goaltending
2) LHD
3)Bottleneck of prospects, notably RHD and wingers.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
No shit. He's like Yoda. Talks a lot about the future but doesn't actually see a whole f***ing lot does he? It's not too hard to figure out that a 37 year old and a "maybe he'll be ok" doesn't equal a goalie pipeline.
Well Quickie had a pretty good playoffs last year but looks very disconnected this season. Blake definitely screwed the pooch on the Petersen contract and he knows that.

There's not a heckuva lot else I can fault Blake for other than the weakness on the left side. If we would have kept Maatta we actually would be looking really good...but he turned into our Jaroslav Modry and we all wanted to see him go.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Fair enough....I was making more of a general statement about absolutes than anything
For sure, myself and many people on here wanted Matt Roy to be strapped onto a rocket and launched into space after his first few games when he kept turning the puck over and costing us games.. but man, those painful moments sure did harden him and made him into an above average Top 4

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Imagine how differently we might be thinking today if only two simple things had happened:
1) Peterson didn't fall off a cliff and was close to what he was / expected to be when signed a couple years ago (just average at least); and
2) Kirill Kirsanov came over to the US to play -- he'd fit in nicely next to Roy on the 2nd line (6'1 / 200+ lbs

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Imagine how differently we might be thinking today if only two simple things had happened:
1) Peterson didn't fall off a cliff and was close to what he was / expected to be when signed a couple years ago (just average at least); and
2) Kirill Kirsanov came over to the US to play -- he'd fit in nicely next to Roy on the 2nd line (6'1 / 200+ lbs
I'm not sure Kirsanov is NHL ready where he would have been the solution at LD this season, but I agree things would have been much easier to examine if Petersen was just average in net.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
what insight, team trying make deal done by deadline LOL
Yeah, I wonder why a GM who's been having a player sit for a couple weeks ahead of a trade deadline would be trying to move him by the trade deadline.

I'll add some more insight for you that was left out though. IF he gets moved, picks, players, or prospects will be involved.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Either Blake makes a big trade or none. I think he’d make a move already if he was going to do a small one but there’s a lot of good guys gone

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Bottom line. Kings aren’t a contender this year. Best case scenario for this season and the next is a flukey deep run that ends with an L. That’s the max upside we’re working with here.

If you’re BLuc, that outcome is tangibly ideal. You cement your position for the next 5-7 years and don’t have to look for a job outside LA county. So no TDL move is going to help that improve. That strategy requires one major move per season.

The Fiala trade burnt that powder. So now, the move is to improve upon last years TDL by piling max hopium into the feel good mix. The question is who is worth a little more than Stetcher and available. Given the abundance of touchable prospects, you hope Blake gets frisky and brings in 2 elite dumpster dives.

Let’s say the high end to make available is a second round pick and a prospect drafted in the second round. To make salary work, the trade partner would have to take back one of Lemieux or Walker. So, a player who can play near the top of the lineup but not carry over onto next year’s roster.

3C and 3LD are the targets to upgrade that are going to help slot the roster into an ideal lineup. From my scan of the league, Ottawa looks like the prime dumpster for Blake to wade through.

Brassard and Holden check the boxes from the Kings perspective. Cap hit is under $2M combined and they fit into the bottom of the lineup nicely. Both improve size and grit over options like Kupari and Bjornfot. Plus both complement guys like Edler and Lizotte without making ripples in the room. They are safe options for Todd to work in the lineup.

Going the other way, I think you send out 3 contracts and take back two. That’s to show you’re serious about a deal. So the package is a 2024 2nd, one of JAD or Bjornfot, and a 2023 3rd.

Reactions: David Lunch

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
I know Calgary is still in the hunt (kinda), but a name that was thrown out on the main board that got me interested is Zadorov. LHD, 6'6", mean, gets some amount of points per year, signed for one more year beyond this at 3.75AAV. I honestly don't know much about him other than the last few times the Kings have played CGY, but I remember thinking "damn, that dude is big and physical".

Anyone have more insight into this guy? I'd be interested to hear some educated opinions.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Blake trades JAD or Bjornfot for a rental, I will be off the Blake bandwagon.

EmuRidingLuffy

Jun 4, 2022
QLD, Australia
Yeah, I wonder why a GM who's been having a player sit for a couple weeks ahead of a trade deadline would be trying to move him by the trade deadline.

I'll add some more insight for you that was left out though. IF he gets moved, picks, players, or prospects will be involved.
Coyotes would probably appreciate a throwback or NBA style of trading him for cash if was still allowed.

Reactions: King'sPawn

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't think Petersen fell off a cliff, but more so that Blake overvalued Petersen and gave him that ill advised contract. If Petersen had been given a bridge deal and failed, the Kings would have $2 - 3 million more in salary cap space right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad