Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
still feel like ekholm doesn't really resolve the kings' problems long term, similar to mccabe albeit they're a different class of player

i have reservations about rebuilding the 2016 predators.. except 6 years later.. too

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I guess where I differ is that I think all the big players are pretty much hitting the NHL really soon. I don’t think drafting is that much of a priority right now with the lack of available spaces and a deep pool. While the Kings are low on LD and goalie prospects I think that the issues needing to be fixed need to be fixed now rather than later 3-5 years by the time they’re nhl bound
Normally, maybe.
But looking at inflated trade prices and a very good draft you should hold your picks and take into consideration that you may need to aim for more NHL ready players.
Like a Stutzle vs, a Byfield for this draft.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
They gave him a bridge deal in 2019.
No they didn't. A 3 year extension @ $853k per year really isn't a bridge deal. His 2 year ELC was @ a higher $925k. A bridge deal would have been an annual around $2 million, if the plan was to make Petersen the long term #1. Petersen's numbers kept dipping each season leading up to his start of $5 million per year. Blake had poor assessment to the leg work Petersen put together. You give a 3 year @ $5 million per year because the goalie put up numbers to earn that deal and not bcuz the GM projects the goalie to be a #1.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Average goaltending, a D that can D & I wonder if this team could take the division or win a round or two?

Alternatively, the entire interwebs will call for my job all Summer until I find a goalie.
- Blake (maybe)

Just trade for Karlsson. :laugh:
Doughty , Karlsson
Durzi, Clarke
Edler, Spence
:skeptic:

Choose 1
Saros, requires first born +
Gibson & Demko, will they bounce back? If not you've made the situation worse.
Korpisalo & Lankinen, is it enough to make a difference?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
No they didn't. A 3 year extension @ $853k per year really isn't a bridge deal. His 2 year ELC was @ a higher $925k. A bridge deal would have been an annual around $2 million, if the plan was to make Petersen the long term #1. Petersen's numbers kept dipping each season leading up to his start of $5 million per year. Blake had poor assessment to the leg work Petersen put together. You give a 3 year @ $5 million per year because the goalie put up numbers to earn that deal and not bcuz the GM projects the goalie to be a #1.

That is a bridge deal. An arbitrary $2m number means nothing. It bought them time because Quick was aging and nobody was going to trade for him, and they had Campbell in a will they/won't they romcom situation. It had $1m in cash in the 3rd year, and the last 2 years had the same salary whether he was in the NHL or AHL.

And again, Petersen wasn't a normal prospect. 23 when the ELC started. 25 for his 2nd contract. 28 at the start of this season.

And for those that score at home, none of that is excuse making, or being in favor of the contract. It's trying to find the the logic of the process. Trying to figure out how A goes to B goes to C. Good or bad is boring. I would do that for literally any GM of any team too, not just my #1 fav rad boy Blakey.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I still don’t think Vancouver is looking to move Demko. He was stellar a year ago. Injured this year. Still young. Why move him?

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I still don’t think Vancouver is looking to move Demko. He was stellar a year ago. Injured this year. Still young. Why move him?
Concerned about ongoing health issues. They think his hip might be acting up causing issues down the leg. He's coming back from a groin injury this time. Had Cal like numbers to start the year.

With 3 years left after this one & a management that bounced between goalies on runs for multiple cups in Pittsburgh, a trade isn't that crazy. Will he be around after a rebuild? Will he be healthy? They just shipped Horvat out.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Choose 1

This is the problem and why I don't see Blake making a goalie trade unfortunately.

Blake can't gamble here, he needs a sure thing. Saros is the only answer there. Too many question marks with Gibson/Demko class, not enough oomph with the others, just a dice roll.

Maybe Minny starts feeling confident and moves one of Gustavsson/Wallstedt, or at least a guy can dream

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
This is the problem and why I don't see Blake making a goalie trade unfortunately.

Blake can't gamble here, he needs a sure thing. Saros is the only answer there. Too many question marks with Gibson/Demko class, not enough oomph with the others, just a dice roll.

Maybe Minny starts feeling confident and moves one of Gustavsson/Wallstedt, or at least a guy can dream
On Predators board they want Byfield plus for Saros...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
On Predators board they want Byfield plus for Saros...

That's certainly what I would ask for. Given where NSH is they would need multiple pieces.

From the Kings standpoint, keeping Byfield and Clarke, it might look something like:

2x 1st
Spence
Kaliyev
Turcotte
Walker or expiring contract

For Saros and something else.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Average goaltending, a D that can D & I wonder if this team could take the division or win a round or two?

Alternatively, the entire interwebs will call for my job all Summer until I find a goalie.
- Blake (maybe)

Just trade for Karlsson. :laugh:
Doughty , Karlsson
Durzi, Clarke
Edler, Spence

Choose 1
Whose first born? I say the Kings put together a package of Robitaille and Blake's first born and make an offer.

Reactions: kenito7 and Piston

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Korpisalo this month: 5gp 2.43gaa .933sv%

And that's while playing on the Blue Jackets.

When Korpisalo plays the Blue Jackets are 11-11-0.

When Merzlikins plays the Blue Jackets are 6-15-2

When Tarasov plays the Blue Jackets are 2-9-1

He's better than Copely in almost every metric, albeit by not a huge margin. I wouldn't trade for him if it's expensive, but it's for sure something Blake should be looking at.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

That's only the case if he's paying a high price.

There's hardly a sure thing in goaltending these days.

A low priced average goaltender would be a life saver if Copey gets hurt or goes cold.

Could've had Hellburg for free. He's just as good as Copely.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Predators are probably approaching Saros the same as they did with Jeannot; not looking to trade him, but if you make us an insane offer we'll do it.

Blake would have to go full on Milbury to get Saros IMO.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Korpisalo this month: 5gp 2.43gaa .933sv%

And that's while playing on the Blue Jackets.

When Korpisalo plays the Blue Jackets are 11-11-0.

When Merzlikins plays the Blue Jackets are 6-15-2

When Tarasov plays the Blue Jackets are 2-9-1

He's better than Copely is almost every metric, albeit by not a huge margin. I wouldn't trade for him if it's expensive, but it's for sure something Blake should be looking at.

He's been good this year overall and that is in front of an AHL calibre defense. I think the Jackets end up moving him prior to the deadline and he will make for a solid backup/insurance plan for a playoff bound club.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
That's certainly what I would ask for. Given where NSH is they would need multiple pieces.

From the Kings standpoint, keeping Byfield and Clarke, it might look something like:

2x 1st
Spence
Kaliyev
Turcotte
Walker or expiring contract

For Saros and something else.
That would be one of the greatest returns for a goalie ever. Goalies simply aren't worth that much, they're way too bipolar and no one's game can drop off faster than a goalie, definitely not worth it if it were to cost something like that.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The Predators are probably approaching Saros the same as they did with Jeannot; not looking to trade him, but if you make us an insane offer we'll do it.

Blake would have to go full on Milbury to get Saros IMO.

Apparently he, Josi and Forsberg are their only untouchables. Everyone else on the roster is fair game.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
That would be one of the greatest returns for a goalie ever. Goalies simply aren't worth that much, they're way too bipolar and no one's game can drop off faster than a goalie, definitely not worth it if it were to cost something like that.

Yeah, I agree. It would take something like that to get them to listen, though. Think of the offers it would have taken to pry Quick from the Kings in his prime, it just rarely happens.

It's funny though, that's a great return nowadays. Back when guys like Luongo were traded pre-cap, teams wanted established talent (like Bertuzzi) going the other way. You didn't see a lot of picks in trades, back then they would have looked at the offer and called it a bunch of unproven stuff for a top goalie. The cap has really changed things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad