Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I know I’m unpopular here at the moment. I come in peace! Haha. ;)

I just want to say congratulations on not paying the Dubas price for McCabe and Lafferty. That trade is a disaster for Toronto. Definitely an auction you want to “lose”.

Hopefully you guys can get Ekholm or Gavrikov for cheaper than expected and then laugh in my face about Chychrun.

No matter how much we’ve bickered, nobody deserves to pay a 1st for McCabe. Nobody but the Leafs that is. :)

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Screenshot_20230227_122214_Twitter.jpg

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

I just want to say congratulations on not paying the Dubas price for McCabe and Lafferty. That trade is a disaster for Toronto. Definitely an auction you want to “lose”.

Hopefully you guys can get Ekholm or Gavrikov for cheaper than expected and then laugh in my face about Chychrun.

No matter how much we’ve bickered, nobody deserves to pay a 1st for McCabe. Nobody but the Leafs that is. :)
I don't think the price was that bad. McCabe is a quality player.

Reactions: lumbergh

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
McCabe has a modified NTC whereby he is able to submit a list of 7 teams. Not saying he would not have waived/LA was on the list.

The list was pretty well known actually amid talks the last 2 months

Ott, Mtl , Van, Edm, Cal, Wpg, Buf

So a "No Canada outside of Toronto" and no "Return to Buffalo" list

I thought with today's rumor that you guys were going to get him honestly

Last edited:

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole

We don't hate you.......that much. I won't be overly concerned if they sit this deadline out. Hoping they find a reasonable upgrade but if not save the powder for the summer.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
To protect Turc lol… no but much like the Kings they also need toughness
Golbourne is already in AHL - they signed him recently. Helenius is learning to fight and Nate Thompson is there also. They can all fight. Jacob Doty is hurt.

Thinking maybe Lemeiux is on the move and they might move Golbourne to the NHL as a spare player - he has NHL experience.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
If so, then we're throwing away this season. All for naught.
Yup.

The Kings realistically probably have a 3 year window with Drew and AK still at a high enough level where they have a chance. They traded their 2nd best prospect and a 1st round pick for a first liner and brought in veterans the summer before. In addition the west is so weak there is a path out.

But they are going to punt one of those 3 seasons by rolling with Copley as the #1 goalie?

The Kings should be aggressive and willing to gamble and overpay if anyone who has a chance to be the solution at goal might be available. If it blows up in your face, so be it, you have to go down swinging, you shouldn’t be punting away this season.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I kind of hope Edmonton goes huge for Karlsson and then Arizona is left with no other dance partner besides LA on Chychrun. I guess St. Louis could still be involved though, whereas Columbus apparently had a previous trade for him shut down by Chychrun’s camp at the draft.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kopitar has only one year left on his contract after this year. He will be a UFA 2024-25 at the age of 36-37.

This is why JT Miller makes sense. He is 29 and can play center and wing.

-Danault is not a #1 center.
-Kings moved Vilardi to wing.
-Kings moved Byfield to wing and honestly he's still not looking great.
-No way Turcotte will be a #1 center in two years.

Behind Danault, the centers are Lizotte and Kupari.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
The Kings will need to make some adjustments obviously in the next few years. The goal now should be to get the kids playing playoff hockey in an actual role not just as spectators or depth players. Eventually Byfield should start supplanting Kopitar within 2 seasons and other kids should replace bridges like Arvidsson and move up the lineup. More kids should establish themselves further on D as well, would be nice to see Clarke next year and see him be a top 4 factor within 2-3 seasons.

The Kings obviously have an excess of mid-sized competitive 40pts wingers. Iafallo, Moore, Arvidsson is too much of roughly the same thing. Vilardi and Kaliyev might be sort of a similar setup when you look at it as well to a lesser extent. Arvidsson will probably go when his contract is up, but one of Moore or Iafallo probably should as well. Wouldn't shock me if one of Kaliyev or Vilardi is dealt as well but the real logjam seems to be Arvidsson/Moore/Iafallo.

The mix on D will have to change too. Roy, Anderson, Bjornfot is a bit of a same look as well. Mid-sized guys competitive guys with somewhat limited offensive. Anderson isn't going anywhere. Roy is a sure thing compared to Bjornfot and more experienced but plays on the log-jammed right-side. Then you have Durzi, Clarke, Spence and more who are all natural RDs. Doughty is going nowhere. So you will probably see some moves here as well as there are too many options on D but the mix isn't quite right.

Blake could address this in offseason but obviously has to do it within a reasonable timeframe now as Bjornfot and Spence are pushing, Clarke will soon. He has a lot of pieces to make this work when the right player is available. With that said if you look at the mix, it's pretty clear this team won't compete for a Cup realistically this or next year as this plays out. The only thing you can kind of count on is a really weak Western Conference, otherwise this isn't a Cup contender until the kids take a bigger role and the mix becomes clearer.

By and large, I think this still mostly comes down to the Kings really needing Byfield to become a #1C within 2-3 years. There is no "easy" solution to a Kopitar replacement otherwise.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
I'm feeling more and more that the best thing is just to hold off on this insane sellers market for the TDL. We have no shot at winning the cup, so why blow assets in a frivolous way. Still in favor of anything that helps the team now AND in the mid/long term, but someone in the East is going to win the cup so who cares about anything in the West. If you can get a decent LHD or 3rd line center for a 5th or less or a prospect we know has no future with the team (Madden?) then that's fine with me. Save the G issue for the offseason.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
People will criticize Blake for "doing nothing" when usually doing nothing is the best thing to do.

Blake has objectively bungled the roster in a year in which the team could have taken a big step forward by pushing into later playoff rounds.

So no, he shouldn’t make some nonsense panic move like Clarke for Chychrun. But he’s still going to catch shade, and deservedly so, for putting the team in this position to begin with.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I kind of hope Edmonton goes huge for Karlsson and then Arizona is left with no other dance partner besides LA on Chychrun. I guess St. Louis could still be involved though, whereas Columbus apparently had a previous trade for him shut down by Chychrun’s camp at the draft.
Ottawa
St. Louis
Pittsburgh

-have all been rumored spots for Chychrun at some point.

Reactions: BringTheReign

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Kopitar has only one year left on his contract after this year. He will be a UFA 2024-25 at the age of 36-37.

This is why JT Miller makes sense. He is 29 and can play center and wing.

-Danault is not a #1 center.
-Kings moved Vilardi to wing.
-Kings moved Byfield to wing and honestly he's still not looking great.
-No way Turcotte will be a #1 center in two years.

Behind Danault, the centers are Lizotte and Kupari.
Kings have turned every drafted center into a winger lol. It's what they do.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Blakes done a pretty good job at drafting. This is one area thing he had done better than most. the 2019 draft was amazing even if Turcotte fizzles. Kaliyev/Bjornfot/Fagemo/Spence- 2 are clearly NHL level with Fagemo/Spence ready to take the next step. Turcotte rallies youve got 5 legit players in one draft.
Who’s going to supplant them anytime soon ?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Golbourne is already in AHL - they signed him recently. Helenius is learning to fight and Nate Thompson is there also. They can all fight. Jacob Doty is hurt.

Thinking maybe Lemeiux is on the move and they might move Golbourne to the NHL as a spare player - he has NHL experience.
Interesting….

Who’s going to supplant them anytime soon ?
I’m guessing you meant who are they going to supplant right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad