Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
I'd prefer to get Mattias Ekholm, over Chychrun, if the price for Chychrun is going to be #1 2023, Spence and 1 of Vilardi / Pinelli / Kaliyev ? I would suspect GMs know Byfield and Clarke are not going anywhere, but wanting Vilardi, Spence, Kaliyev...probably Pinelli, Laferriere (Hoven says look for Laferriere to sign after Harvard season)
If something like that happens, please get their #2 pick back. At least that should be 36-38ish overall.

I think the Preds are not sellers yet, being 4-5 points out of wildcard. So, they may be closer to deadline sellers if out. I like Ekholm and he could anchor LHD 1 or 2. The 6.25 mil next 3 years, would require them taking Walker and another roster player.(Iafallo please!) Even though Tanner Jeannot has fallen off this year, still love his game and is a level above Lemieux. He's only making $800,000. Get both of them is 7 million cap and would love for them to take Iafallo and Walker...but then also a #1 + ?

I watched the Rags - Kraken and the energy and tempo the Rags had, by adding Tarasenko was pretty amazing.
I'd love to see the Kings add here and give them a charge.

I still am hating the Lizotte 3C with Fiala and JAD, but adding Moore + Kaliyev (and soon Vilardi) must certainly
push Lizotte back down. BUT, who does Todd put at center? My fear is he keeps Lizotte there and is a detriment to Fiala.

Moore has played center at the world's and he could play 3C, but I don't see TM trying that. Byfield could probably do well there now, but I like what he's doing as LW1 with Kopi and Kempe...moving him to 3C
may kind of mess up what he has going on....but maybe not. May be worth trying. When Byfield was 3C, he didn't have Fiala. The only problem is, defensively. not the best line 3, with those 2. I think Byfield is doing ok defensively, but he may lose what he has now, at LW1, by having Kopi and Kempe to be solid defensively.
I loved when QB said "I can NOW just go out and make plays, like I always have" Like playing LW1, he had less to worry about defensively and center responsibility. I believe he will be able to take on 3C and even 2C or 1C someday. Just not this year.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Tinkering. Solve the 3C problem that has Fiala's abilities wasted on Lizotte and JAD.
Fiala on line 3 with Lizotte and JAD is massively worse than the LHD or Goalie situation.
And no, replacing JAD with Vilardi there only helps some.
Kempe can play center and plays well with Fiala. The last time you saw Kempe fulltime center,
was when Kempe was 70% the player he was at that time and he became the player he now is the last 1.5 years. He did not become a better player, becasue he played wing; he became a better overall player, period, since he played center 2+ years ago.
Wing may have helped him, but he can play center just fine.
If Fiala stays LW3 and Lizotte stays 3C, the Kings will not make the playoffs. PJBII 2-10-23

Byfield Kopitar Vilardi
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Fiala Kempe Kaliyev
Iafallo Lizotte Kupari / JAD

Last edited:
Reactions: BringTheReign

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Dean is a beauty!! If you listen "between the lines" he talks a lot about some of the issues and struggles many thought or knew the Kings were having on the way to their first cup.

Biggest thing in what I hear between the lines and he didn't say it explicitly, but it is "No Sutter, no cups."

I agree with Dean. Daryl Sutter is a genious, and no one should buy into the "dumb farmer" tag.

One other lasting impression is Dean Lombardi is great at critical self evaluation. It is one of the things that impressed me about Dean the first time I ever talked with him.

Last edited:

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

If the ref wanted to call it by the book, the goal on delayed penalty wipes that out & Chychrun gets a penalty after the goal is counted for hooking.

Did I miss the Kool Aide table? What do people see in this guy?

Pheonix, don't think there's anything too big to draw from this. Kings have a back up & no starter. They don't have a goalie capable of either signed next year. At the risk of 400k not able to be buried in the AHL, the King's have a backup goalie signed for next year.

Cal will probably be given a shot at some point, because his bonus makes buying him out have a bigger cap hit than sending him to the AHL next year.

Quick, if he doesn't pull things together Quickly, LTIR is probably the best option. Keeps from trading him, opens cap space for a replacement.

Saros, Bennington, Vjmelka would be my targets. AZ has shown to be a pain to deal with. Polie is near retirement, but just signed Forsberg & traded for McDonuts. Isn't a seller yet. I could see Blues getting tired of Bennington's BS. Not a fan of Bennington, but the same things I don't care for may make him available.

Double hip scoped Demko if you want to roll the dice.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Did I miss the Kool Aide table? What do people see in this guy?
I think it's like a combination of the sunk cost fallacy and the Invincible Ignorance fallacy...

Let's revisit what I believe is the conversational timeline...

Two years ago everybody kept repeating that the "Kings eye dynamic, left-shot D in trade" because they heard someone else say it (Feb 21)

"It seems like there's a lot more talk among the NHL general managers right now. Whether or not they can execute, I guess time will tell. Rob Blake of the Los Angeles Kings is another one looking for a defenceman in the category that Pierre (LeBrun) just described – 25 and under," Dreger said. "But he specifically wants a dynamic, left-shot defenceman. When you look at the Los Angeles Kings, they do have an abundance of forwards, particularly at centre ice.

This might be the biggest "no duh" but also "not really" statement you could have made.

The claim was defensible because frankly EVERY team in the NHL is theoretically always interested in dynamic defensemen. Especially if they're 25 or under...

HOWEVER

anybody that actually looked at the roster and pipeline would tell you (as I and others did at the time) that the real need was more Mikey Anderson type d-men (and they went and got themselves Edler July 21) and their first attempt at that type of move (Maatta Oct 2020) had not worked.

THEN add in the idea that Jakob Chychrun, possibly the only defenseman in the entire league that fits that description that might suddenly become available, was rumored to become available by someone else so THAT got repeated over and over again (Dec 21)

"6. Arizona GM Bill Armstrong refused to comment when asked, but it now sounds like the Coyotes are gauging the market on Jakob Chychrun. I’ve heard the ask is massive, but that doesn’t mean opponents are running away. He’s signed for three more years at a very reasonable $4.6 million AAV and is a terrific player. This is one to watch."

So then what happens? Everybody forgets that hockey futures media is a business and all these guys have clicks to bait you with and then the cottage industry of content creation needs stuff to talk about and you go huh Arizona has the thing the person said the team needs (even tho they don't) and the other person said the the thing the guy said the team needs (even tho they don't) might be available let's do some simple x =x and y = y math and

TAH DAH

the absolute simplest easiest laziest answer comes into view

The Kings are interested in acquiring Jakob Chychrun.

So once that sentence has been written... fans desperate for anything interesting to say about a team that missed the playoffs (2020-21) and seemingly mired in a rebuild made it a part of their narrative about the team.

Team bad, how to make team good? MAGICAL SENTENCE!

fast forward almost two full years... the player in question has not been traded.
the team in question does not NEED a magical dynamic puck moving LHD under the age of 25 with a non-existent team friendly contract

but changing the part of your brain that's already been hard wired around that magical sentence is annoying

AND the magical sentence is repeated ad infinitum in articles, tweets, podcasts, youtube videos, social media etc because magical sentences are way more effective at getting your attention than fun killing mood suppressants like "actually you DON'T need another shiny toy, you need to eat your vegetables, get a good night sleep and excercise more"

Now... maybe I'm wrong, they trade for Chychrun, he's awesome and they win the Cup in a year or two and he's the Conn Smythe winner and I look like a big mean dumb dumb for this rant.

But that is why I believe people are so gung-ho for Jakob Chychrun. Cus magic sentences are more fun than boring sentences.

I should not have written or posted this.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Doesnt this Copley signing sort of eliminate Quick from the equation next year? It does in my mind.. Cal is #3 or gone. They need to slot in #1 UFA or via trade which will eat JQ former salary.
I don't think so. If hypothetically Cal is moved, that leaves Quick and Copley plus the Ahl guys. Then it's an open tryout at camp, even if they bring in a new guy. All they did with Copley was insure themselves of not losing him to FA next season, and at worst a solid back up. For all we know, he could start in Ontario next year. Too many question still need to be answered , and we won't get them until the season over.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I don't think so. If hypothetically Cal is moved, that leaves Quick and Copley plus the Ahl guys. Then it's an open tryout at camp, even if they bring in a new guy. All they did with Copley was insure themselves of not losing him to FA next season, and at worst a solid back up. For all we know, he could start in Ontario next year. Too many question still need to be answered , and we won't get them until the season over.
Quick's contract is over so he doesnt have to do anything with JQ and shouldnt. Dont you think he's washed? I guess Im assuming Blake is going to spend on a #1 with Copley pencilled as #2.. but maybe that is completely wrong.

Reactions: kinghock

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m ok with the Copley deal. IF he doesn’t make the roster next year for any reason (in that scenario Cal would definitely do so). It’s only 400k worth of Cap to bury (yes, I know every penny counts). It also takes pressure of in terms of trying to earn a new deal down the stretch.

Obviously they may move Cal but I still think they will want to assess the results of his rehab stint first.

Reactions: David Lunch

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think it's like a combination of the sunk cost fallacy and the Invincible Ignorance fallacy...

Let's revisit what I believe is the conversational timeline...

Two years ago everybody kept repeating that the "Kings eye dynamic, left-shot D in trade" because they heard someone else say it (Feb 21)

"It seems like there's a lot more talk among the NHL general managers right now. Whether or not they can execute, I guess time will tell. Rob Blake of the Los Angeles Kings is another one looking for a defenceman in the category that Pierre (LeBrun) just described – 25 and under," Dreger said. "But he specifically wants a dynamic, left-shot defenceman. When you look at the Los Angeles Kings, they do have an abundance of forwards, particularly at centre ice.

This might be the biggest "no duh" but also "not really" statement you could have made.

The claim was defensible because frankly EVERY team in the NHL is theoretically always interested in dynamic defensemen. Especially if they're 25 or under...

HOWEVER

anybody that actually looked at the roster and pipeline would tell you (as I and others did at the time) that the real need was more Mikey Anderson type d-men (and they went and got themselves Edler July 21) and their first attempt at that type of move (Maatta Oct 2020) had not worked.

THEN add in the idea that Jakob Chychrun, possibly the only defenseman in the entire league that fits that description that might suddenly become available, was rumored to become available by someone else so THAT got repeated over and over again (Dec 21)

"6. Arizona GM Bill Armstrong refused to comment when asked, but it now sounds like the Coyotes are gauging the market on Jakob Chychrun. I’ve heard the ask is massive, but that doesn’t mean opponents are running away. He’s signed for three more years at a very reasonable $4.6 million AAV and is a terrific player. This is one to watch."

So then what happens? Everybody forgets that hockey futures media is a business and all these guys have clicks to bait you with and then the cottage industry of content creation needs stuff to talk about and you go huh Arizona has the thing the person said the team needs (even tho they don't) and the other person said the the thing the guy said the team needs (even tho they don't) might be available let's do some simple x =x and y = y math and

TAH DAH

the absolute simplest easiest laziest answer comes into view

The Kings are interested in acquiring Jakob Chychrun.

So once that sentence has been written... fans desperate for anything interesting to say about a team that missed the playoffs (2020-21) and seemingly mired in a rebuild made it a part of their narrative about the team.

Team bad, how to make team good? MAGICAL SENTENCE!

fast forward almost two full years... the player in question has not been traded.
the team in question does not NEED a magical dynamic puck moving LHD under the age of 25 with a non-existent team friendly contract

but changing the part of your brain that's already been hard wired around that magical sentence is annoying

AND the magical sentence is repeated ad infinitum in articles, tweets, podcasts, youtube videos, social media etc because magical sentences are way more effective at getting your attention than fun killing mood suppressants like "actually you DON'T need another shiny toy, you need to eat your vegetables, get a good night sleep and excercise more"

Now... maybe I'm wrong, they trade for Chychrun, he's awesome and they win the Cup in a year or two and he's the Conn Smythe winner and I look like a big mean dumb dumb for this rant.

But that is why I believe people are so gung-ho for Jakob Chychrun. Cus magic sentences are more fun than boring sentences.

I should not have written or posted this.

I see no harm in your post, we know it’s your analysis. I don’t see any Easter eggs telling me you were loitering outside Blake’s office and overheard something. FWIW, my analysis is pretty much identical however you’ve explained it better than I did. So if we are wrong we will need to share the crow.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
They need to move on from Cal, it has been done before.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t but I do think he will get another look. Even if it’s just so they can get a couple of wins out of him to help trade him. Technically he is a solid goaltender (technically better than Copley before he lost it last season) but between the ears he seemed a mess. If they feel that is fixed (it can be done), then maybe they try him and Copley next year although that’s a big risk.

Whilst they could move him it’s either going to cost us significant assets or slightly less significant assets and retention. They will make a judgment balancing risk, reward and cost.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Dean is a beauty!! If you listen "between the lines" he talks a lot about some of the issues and struggles many thought or knew the Kings were having on the way to their first cup.

Biggest thing in what I hear between the lines and he didn't say it explicitly, but it is "No Sutter, no cups."

I agree with Dean. Daryl Sutter is a genious, and no one should buy into the "dumb farmer" tag.

One other lasting impression is Dean Lombardi is great at critical self evaluation. It is one of the things that impressed me about Dean the first time I ever talked with him.

Sutter is a coaching genius. A "finisher" who you get when you want to win the Cup, not necessarily set the foundation and I think Sutter himself said as much, paraphrasing "when you want to win, you get me", of course it sounds arrogant but it's essentially true.

Sutter has an amazing instinct for the pulse of the team and game. I think he is great at sniffing out players, that despite their talent level, might not fit what the team needs to win or who might be weaker mentally. Which leads to accusations of being hard on some or playing favorites, which is a superficial analysis at best.

He is also a great emotional manipulator, which I think a lot of championship level coaches are, in terms of motivating people by pressing the right buttons.

Of course, I think the mental intensity required to play for Sutter long term can get tiring and stale, which is why he probably doesn't have a long shelf life.

Guys like Dwight King owe a lot to Sutter, he is great at picking out role players that can fulfill his plan and system, even if they would never be as effective on another team.

Sutter is a guy you can win with, bottom line. Like any coach he needs core pieces supplemented by his style of role player. And that's that. Great pulse for the team and game, great man management, great instincts. Shorter shelf life.

I think a lot of people make fun of his rhetorical ability, but I think Sutter is self-aware of that and some of the "insane" and controversial stuff he says is actually just aimed at manipulating the atmosphere in and around the team. Much like Mourinho in that aspect.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I've only said a Kopitar trade was unrealistic, and that there's never been a hint of the Kings entertaining the idea, which has rendered the years long topic of discussion as rather pointless. Of course anyone can be traded, but that's not the point.

I'm happy to discuss the variables involved in any of those deals that happened though. The how's and why's of them.

I understand the Kings have never entertained the idea of trading Kopitar/Doughty. But that’s exactly why the fanbase argues about this. A large number of us think they should have entertained the idea somewhere between 2017-2019. And given that there is some modicum of precedent, it could have potentially happened.

This is a normative disagreement more than it is a descriptive disagreement.

Reactions: kenito7

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Just said on Ontario board....will be crushed if they trade spence. Him and Clarke will be solid on RHD for years to come and his game is so smooth. On most nights looks like the best Dman on the ice playing as 20 year with 33pts in 39 games logging a ton of TOI. With Clarke/Spence and Doughty with 4 more years on his deal keeps those boxes filled as DL would say.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Just said on Ontario board....will be crushed if they trade spence. Him and Clarke will be solid on RHD for years to come and his game is so smooth. On most nights looks like the best Dman on the ice playing as 20 year with 33pts in 39 games logging a ton of TOI. With Clarke/Spence and Doughty with 4 more years on his deal keeps those boxes filled as DL would say.
What do we need Spence for when we have Edler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad