Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Ah yes , according to my calculations this was predicted and seen from miles away.

The Petersen/Copley duo will be dynamite.

nerd-nerdy.gif

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I am fine with the signing, it is pretty much exactly what I expected to happen and doesn't matter if it happens now or in the offseason. I think it also says a little bit about where they see Quick and Cal though in the sense that Quick is likely to retire and they're likely to have Cal back for a last run at the spot or to become the backup.

If plans change in the sense that they acquire or trade for another goaltender, he is easy to add in the deal or waive if they don't somehow accomplish that with Cal assuming he doesn't have some miracle comeback.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
There was never enough of a sample size to say Cal was good or even an NHL goalie before Blake handed his checkbook to the guy.
Cal isnt an NHL goalie. He is where he was always supposed to be.
Finally Blake gets one right with the goaltenders. He has allowed the goaltending pool to get far too shallow. Good for Copley, 100 grand per win for saving our season thus far.
This is a value contract for a player who has proved he is an NHL backup who can carry the team for a middle distance.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Assuming this is a 1-way deal, this basically seals Petersen's fate, right? Either he gets moved before next season or he plays with the Reign. No way we're rolling with a Petersen/Copley tandem next season.
Never say never....

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
The timing is a little odd to me, but I just hope that management views Copley as a #2 next season, not as a 1A/1B. We need a proven, competent starting goaltender next season and beyond, whether it be Demko, Vejmelka, or someone else.

edit: I also wonder if this squashes any chance of acquiring another G this season.

edit v2: Rosen notes that Copley's cap hit in the minors next season would be $350k, which would be palatable if Petersen earns a spot on next season's roster.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
el oh f***ing el

"you guys wanted a goalie right" Rob Blake:

mission-accomplished.gif

Better hurry and lock up this below-league-average goalie to cover up for my huge mistakes with the goaltending pipeline

this is rearranging deck chairs on the titanic if there's not a corresponding move

So $6.5m to goalies next season and that doesn’t even include the likely starter?

Or is Cal just going to be another guy the Kings are going to pay to go away?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Wow really, you’re gonna extend Copley? There’s a billion mediocre goalies out there. I didn’t know Blake could dwarf the stetcher move but watch him extending Copley be the biggest move near the playoffs. People acting like Copley deserve an extension when literally a nutless monkey could do his job with how bad Petersen was.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The guy pretty much saved the Kings season, get him paid. Only a year.
I could have saved the season too for 50k. Do people not realize how bad our goaltending is and how that might make a mediocre goalie like Copley look good? Jesus

kingsholygrail

1-0-0 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Does it matter? Whatever they get, they’ll hold onto it for 2-3 years tops before trading it to start their next “rebuild”. Team has been a rotating compost bin from the moment we knocked their asses out in 2012.
To be fair, they were a rotating compost bin before they moved to Arizona.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Assuming this is a 1-way deal, this basically seals Petersen's fate, right? Either he gets moved before next season or he plays with the Reign. No way we're rolling with a Petersen/Copley tandem next season.
They will think about it and see what is available for how much and what it costs through 23/24 camp and go from there.
Cal is presently unmovable will be further evaluated on the Reign the rest of the way.
He will be working with a guru over the summer and get a look at 23/34 camp.
So $6.5m to goalies next season and that doesn’t even include the likely starter?

Or is Cal just going to be another guy the Kings are going to pay to go away?
Does not matter too much it is a one year show me contract.
Wow really, you’re gonna extend Copley? There’s a billion mediocre goalies out there. I didn’t know Blake could dwarf the stetcher move but watch him extending Copley be the biggest move near the playoffs. People acting like Copley deserve an extension when literally a nutless monkey could do his job with how bad Petersen was.

Stecher for a 7th was a great move.
When Spence and the other youngsters were clearly shown up, he came in, played decent D , scored goals, had assists and we went to games 7.
Look at our D this year without him.
Copley saved us from being run out of playoff contention and Blake and Tmac being considered for termination.
It is just a one year, the Kings were staring at a crater for a goal tending pipeline.
It also sends the correct message to the team and any potential acquisitions and a feel good story for non cynic fans whose ego allows them to admit when they were wrong.
Does it matter? Whatever they get, they’ll hold onto it for 2-3 years tops before trading it to start their next “rebuild”. Team has been a rotating compost bin from the moment we knocked their asses out in 2012.
Indeed if they want to negotiate and acquire another goaltender, they are no longer trading out of a position of complete desperation.

Last edited:

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
For the people wanting Veggie from AZ, look at his stats compared to Cal right before getting extended.
Cal. (21) 35 games 2.89 gaa .911 sv %
V. (22-23) 36 games 3.16 gaa .908 sv %
What makes people want to give up assets for him after getting burned by the Petersen extension?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Because there is concrete evidence that Vejmelka has stolen games on a terrible team while being routinely shelled. You’d be hard pressed to say the same for any Kings goalie for a good long while now.

Reactions: Surf Nutz and Herby

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Because there is concrete evidence that Vejmelka has stolen games on a terrible team while being routinely shelled. You’d be hard pressed to say the same for any Kings goalie for a good long while now.

In contrast our goalies have stolen defeat from victory by giving up an extra goal a game when metrics have us as a top-7 D team.

Even if reality is we're 'average' having goalies at the bottom of the league is not congruent with the team in front of them.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks and Sol

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
For the people wanting Veggie from AZ, look at his stats compared to Cal right before getting extended.
Cal. (21) 35 games 2.89 gaa .911 sv %
V. (22-23) 36 games 3.16 gaa .908 sv %
What makes people want to give up assets for him after getting burned by the Petersen extension?
Blake won't be making a huge splash this trade deadline.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
el oh f***ing el

"you guys wanted a goalie right" Rob Blake:

mission-accomplished.gif

Better hurry and lock up this below-league-average goalie to cover up for my huge mistakes with the goaltending pipeline

this is rearranging deck chairs on the titanic if there's not a corresponding move
Bernier, #11 overall in 2006, was the last King goalie draft pick to play at least 50 career games in the NHL. They need to add scouts specifically for goalies or replace them if they already have goalie specific scouts. This has been a failure for too long with different gms/coaching staffs to continue.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
I could have saved the season too for 50k. Do people not realize how bad our goaltending is and how that might make a mediocre goalie like Copley look good? Jesus
Child please.
You arent even fit to do David Ayers' laundry, much less an actual NHL goalie. And he did laundry for the Leafs.

Copley is an averagish goalie, nothing wrong with that. He is pretty consistent and reliable, which is an underrated skillset. A one-year extension at basically the minimum for a veteran NHL goalie is not just a good move its long overdue, given the desert we call an organizational depth chart.

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad