Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
100%....someone would be interested......WHY in the hell would the Kings make that kind of deal though?

Are we saying Ottawa is in a better spot because of that trade? It's debatable, they actually have to win something before I say they are....

Who was that last Hart finalist that was traded the year after...without there being financial or personnel issues? Nearly none....

I love how they point out that Subban and Weber were both traded mid-contract, without mentioning...it was FOR EACH OTHER.....the money worked...let's ignore that tidbit.....

The Kings would have done it to go in a different direction. For example, if you trade Doughty after the 2019 season you are likely getting a somewhat similar return to Karlsson, a 1st and a pretty good prospect being the key pieces and you are likely picking high in the draft probably through this season, while letting younger players get a ton of ice time.

And despite Karlsson's unbelievable renaissance season this year, the trade certainly did make Ottawa better, they landed their future franchise player and their 2nd line center who are 21 and 23.

Reactions: kenito7

Matt13

Jul 9, 2004
That sounds grand compared to my last 10 days. Father in law fell on his walk last Thursday and I had to go find him as it was getting dark. He ended up in the hospital a couple of days later with pneumonia while I came down with COVID at the same time. My wife got a call from her dad in the middle of the night last night thinking the doctor told him he had a 50/50 chance of making it through the night. She drives in at 1am and finds out he misunderstood . He might need a ventilator. Wife is completely overworked and stressed. The youngest couldn't sleep last night because of a cough and now I have a COVID buddy that loves watching My Little Pony. The good news is I don't have to plan for Valentine's Day. I need some hockey.
I’m sorry you had to watch My Little Pony.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
My insider information is telling me Rob is holding off till after the Brown Ceremony to drop the Chychrun bomb and ship off half our roster to AZ.

I'm hearing Turcotte and Spence along with other pieces; more news at 11.
I wouldnt be crushed if Turcotte was the centerpiece of a deal for Chychrun. It's what we give up along with him that concerns me. Durzi, Roy, Walker at least one if not two need to go.
Jake better stay healthy if we get him, I hate the fact that he misses between 15-35 games every single season, that is significant and is a risk that cannot be downplayed.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
My insider information is telling me Rob is holding off till after the Brown Ceremony to drop the Chychrun bomb and ship off half our roster to AZ.

My insider information is telling me that Gabriel Vilardi was on the ice today during practice wearing a red non contact jersey.

I'm hearing that Trevor Moore skated with the team for a second day in a row but today was OUT of the red non contact jersey and was back in a standard grey jersey indicating that he would reunite with Danault and Arvidsson on the second (Nice) line.

EDIT: My insider information is that I watched it with my own two eyeballs. I'm hearing it cus I was there and it happened.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I'd love to get JC but with Faber being moved this summer, I have a hard time seeing the young piece that is going to work in this deal. The Kings are not moving QB or Clarke for him (or at least they shouldn't) but beyond that what else fits what Arizona might want?

Spence is a nice piece, but the center of a deal?
Turcotte's value is probably about where Lias was when the Kings traded for him. Both were NHL/AHL tweeners with a high draft pedigree.
The 1st this year is probably going to be about where last years 1st was, this draft is better but still, this is Arizona's big trading chip.

Do the Kings try and cash out while Vilardi's value is the highest its probably been since draft night?
Do they trade Kaliyev in the deal?

Would Arizona be open to giving Vilardi an extension based on a good half season and his injury history?
Would trading one or both of those guys be worth it with the Kings lack of depth up-front, we have seen the struggles of the 4th line of Fagemo and Turcotte, especially on the road where the matchups can be exploited, if we trade two forwards those guys chances of seeing playoff ice increase greatly.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I'd love to get JC but with Faber being moved this summer, I have a hard time seeing the young piece that is going to work in this deal. The Kings are not moving QB or Clarke for him (or at least they shouldn't) but beyond that what else fits what Arizona might want?

Spence is a nice piece, but the center of a deal?
Turcotte's value is probably about where Lias was when the Kings traded for him. Both were NHL/AHL tweeners with a high draft pedigree.
The 1st this year is probably going to be about where last years 1st was, this draft is better but still, this is Arizona's big trading chip.

Do the Kings try and cash out while Vilardi's value is the highest its probably been since draft night?
Do they trade Kaliyev in the deal?

Would Arizona be open to giving Vilardi an extension based on a good half season and his injury history?
Would trading one or both of those guys be worth it with the Kings lack of depth up-front, we have seen the struggles of the 4th line of Fagemo and Turcotte, especially on the road where the matchups can be exploited, if we trade two forwards those guys chances of seeing playoff ice increase greatly.
If Nils Lundkvist was worth a 1st then Spence for sure has value.
I think it was last season when Jim Fox said every team that came to scout the Kings/Reign inquired about Spence.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
but beyond that what else fits what Arizona might want?
This is a huge stumbling block to my personal enjoyment of trade speculation.

I know what I think Arizona SHOULD do based on what I personally value and prioritze, I know what I wish they would do based on me being a fan (I don't care about chychrun but like hypothetically speaking)

but I have absolutely zero idea what the front office of the Arizona Coyotes thinks about anything

Are they gonna have a new building? Do they care how much money they lose over the next three to five years? Are they planning on contending any time soon? Do they want to be respectable to attract potential mid level free agents who are priced out of other markets? Do they want to just float at the cap floor until they acquire some "generational talents" in future drafts?

There is no way to have any idea what the priorities of another team in another market are and on top of that there's very little reliable ways of determining the relative competency of those GMs.

The Kings likely don't win the Cup twice if the Philadelphia Flyers don't take out a hand cannon and immediately fire it directly into their own foot.

How do you even speculate that another team might do something like that?

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA

808130B4-C80A-4F0E-ACCA-F57A66C5D729.jpeg

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
If Nils Lundkvist was worth a 1st then Spence for sure has value.
I think it was last season when Jim Fox said every team that came to scout the Kings/Reign inquired about Spence.

I agree he has value, I think if the Kings offered Spence around they would get a 1st round pick for sure. I just don't know if he is the center-piece to a deal. I think people assume that Arizona wants a ton of secondary and depth pieces, but this is a big trade chip for them, they may want more.

I know what I think Arizona SHOULD do based on what I personally value and prioritze, I know what I wish they would do based on me being a fan (I don't care about chychrun but like hypothetically speaking)

but I have absolutely zero idea what the front office of the Arizona Coyotes thinks about anything

Are they gonna have a new building? Do they care how much money they lose over the next three to five years? Are they planning on contending any time soon? Do they want to be respectable to attract potential mid level free agents who are priced out of other markets? Do they want to just float at the cap floor until they acquire some "generational talents" in future drafts?

There is no way to have any idea what the priorities of another team in another market are and on top of that there's very little reliable ways of determining the relative competency of those GMs.

The Kings likely don't win the Cup twice if the Philadelphia Flyers don't take out a hand cannon and immediately fire it directly into their own foot.

I always try and take the Socratic approach when I discuss potential trades, sometimes I feel like I am the only person on all of HF who takes this approach, people are just only thinking about their own side. I think many times people forget there are 30 other teams potentially involved and also don't ever consider what the other sides needs might be. Such as how certain pieces fit in the current and the long-term.

But you are right, we don't know for certain, but I feel like if Arizona were willing to trade him for secondary and depth pieces he would have been gone by now. Maybe no one bites and gives what they want, but they can take this all the way to the deadline and see if anyone gets desperate, and with how well JC has played this season someone may just do that.

Reactions: Schmooley

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

Pretty much what I came too. Blake needs to find a team that decides to do a major rebuild & grab a Saros, Ekholm from them.

Guess you just keep your powder dry & sit in the blind untill some GM decides to rage trade half his team. Blues, Van, Preds are the ones I'm watching right now. Philly is a trainwreck, but won't rebuild. CBJ has Korpisalo as a UFA I think & Gavrikov.

Reactions: Seattle King

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
And you act as though it's common, and that context never makes it into the equation.

Yes, trading a 30+ year old with a NMC and multiple years at a $10m hit was and is unrealistic. I will die on that hill, because you can't show me otherwise. You can show a much younger big money guy being traded(not many though). You can show an even older player with a couple years left being dealt(not many though). What you can't show is a guy in Kopitar's situation being dealt.

It's also factually incorrect, and you can see the numbers, that the Islanders traded for an $8.5m player mid-season. That did not happen. That is not a nitpick. That is a basic hard fact of the case. In no way are either the Islanders or Canucks currently working under an $8.5m contractual obligation to Bo Horvat 50+ games into the 22-23 NHL season. You cant get that wrong, and think you get a W.
Fiala deal just looks sweeter and sweeter with every new signing, Hub got 10.5!
Anyone saying wait on Fiala does not understand the inflation we have seen due mainly to the domestic oil market being constricted.

Kopitar could be traded if the Kings stumble and are out of playoff contention next year, especially if they have a handshake on resigning for 24/25 to encourage suspension of the NMC.

So will Kopitar being resigned after next season? Sign elsewhere? How much?
(Limit one two sentence reply per customer!)

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Whether the Islanders added Horvat's AAV mid-season or offseason is not the point. Do you really not comprehend that?

This is why I constantly call you out for being a troll. You demand hyper specificity when you know it's unreasonable or unfalsifiable, and the argument doesn't call for specificity at all. It's straight out of the Jordan Peterson school of debate, and it's obnoxious, bad faith rhetoric.

No one is going to be able to point to a player like Kopitar being traded because there's only one Kopitar. Moreover, no one disputes the claim that large AAV players being moved is rare. It is rare. But it DOES happen. Your insistence that it doesn't, and it could've never happened, is why this argument continues.

Jack Eichel. $10 million AAV. Traded mid-contract.

OEL. $8.25 million AAV. NMC. Traded mid-contract.

PK Subban. $9 million AAV. NMC. Traded mid-contract.

Ryan O'Reilley. $7.5 million AAV. Traded mid-contract.

Shea Weber. $7.8 million AAV. Traded mid-contract.

Need I go on? I didn't even include all the players who were traded and immediately extended for high AAVs, or players added via free agency with high AAVs, because surely you'll pretend those don't count.

It is absolutely reasonable to believe that if Anze Kopitar were made available sometime between 2016-2019, he could have been traded. Would the Kings need to retain? Possibly. Would they have received a lucrative return? Potentially.

I can't argue the specifics with you because this trade never happened. Your insistence that it couldn't have happened under any circumstance is what myself and others are disputing.

I've only said a Kopitar trade was unrealistic, and that there's never been a hint of the Kings entertaining the idea, which has rendered the years long topic of discussion as rather pointless. Of course anyone can be traded, but that's not the point.

I'm happy to discuss the variables involved in any of those deals that happened though. The how's and why's of them.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But you are right, we don't know for certain, but I feel like if Arizona were willing to trade him for secondary and depth pieces he would have been gone by now. Maybe no one bites and gives what they want, but they can take this all the way to the deadline and see if anyone gets desperate, and with how well JC has played this season someone may just do that.

I always feel like the Kings have 'more' to offer but won't because a more desperate window open team--like Toronto or Edmonton--will cough up what AZ is asking for.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I wouldnt be crushed if Turcotte was the centerpiece of a deal for Chychrun. It's what we give up along with him that concerns me. Durzi, Roy, Walker at least one if not two need to go.
Jake better stay healthy if we get him, I hate the fact that he misses between 15-35 games every single season, that is significant and is a risk that cannot be downplayed.
We are not a real contender, and Turcotte's super low current value make using him as a minimal value trade piece is not wise. Let him hopefully build back from his ailments and then think about his future when we are closer to a bonafide contender.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Kings would have done it to go in a different direction. For example, if you trade Doughty after the 2019 season you are likely getting a somewhat similar return to Karlsson, a 1st and a pretty good prospect being the key pieces and you are likely picking high in the draft probably through this season, while letting younger players get a ton of ice time.

And despite Karlsson's unbelievable renaissance season this year, the trade certainly did make Ottawa better, they landed their future franchise player and their 2nd line center who are 21 and 23.

But in all reality, why in the world would they go in a different direction, 98 points, 2 points out of 2nd, made the playoffs, have a Hart Finalist...and a Norris caliber D in Doughty, Toffoli was young, Pearson, Kempe, Muzzin, Iafallo, Forbort, Quick had good numbers....etc...

As opposed to when Ottawa traded Karlsson, same year.....67 points, 2nd worse team in the league, Stone Hoffman, Duchene, (the whole thing with Karlsson and Hoffman etc) had one year left.....was going to leave presumably, didn't want to stay....

Vs Kopitar who was 2nd year into that 8 year contract, 6 more years, Hart Finalist etc......

I have yet to see anyone come up with any sports team that has done that....without financial pressure, or personnel issues (players wanting to leave)

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
We are not a real contender, and Turcotte's super low current value make using him as a minimal value trade piece is not wise. Let him hopefully build back from his ailments and then think about his future when we are closer to a bonafide contender.
His value might not be low at all in the AZ front office.
If we add a major LHD and a legit G then it would be hard to imagine us not being bonafide given the situation in the Western Conference this year. LA is 3 points out of the division lead. We all have about 30 games to the finish. The 2012 Cup winners were no bonafide contenders. Opportunity is knocking.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

That feels incredibly rushed.

You can sign just about any goaltender with a .900 save percentage for under a million without any issue. I don’t understand the timing of this at all.

Only thing that makes sense is if management doesn’t t see Cal here next year, and anticipates an actual number 1 coming in? Gotta be more to come here.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

You can sign just about any goaltender with a .900 save percentage for under a million without any issue. I don’t understand the timing of this at all.

Only thing that makes sense is if managment does t see Cal here next year, and anticipates an actual number 1 coming in? Gotta be more to come here.
Suppose Quick retires, and Cal remains crap, they secured an insurance goalie for a reasonable cap hit.

It’s also still possible they go out and obtain another goalie as well.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

Only thing that makes sense is if managment does t see Cal here next year, and anticipates an actual number 1 coming in? Gotta be more to come here.
The guy pretty much saved the Kings season, get him paid. Only a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad