Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Anyone have thoughts into reaching out to Erik Portillo when he becomes a UFA? He should be scheduled to become one should he not sign with Buffalo and could give us an option. He might also be interested in signing with us because:
a. We gave Peterson 15 million dollars.
b. There is not much in the way of competition apart from Peterson.

Food for thought.

What happened to the last goalie we got from Buffalo, i forget 🤔

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I feel like you’re Dwight from the Office with the bear knowledge. Yeah he plays super soft.
Haha thanks! Figured it would make a poster or two laugh.

Back to on topic... Would love to somehow bring in Portillo. Cannot imagine it is that costly and should like the opportunity he has with us.

Reactions: Sol

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Was he also robbed of 80 points off of his batting average and his ability to make accurate routes to the ball in the OF for 2.5 years?

Anyways, it’s not like his judgement was without question. He openly smokes weed on the streets in his social media stories. If it wasn’t drugs what was it? The yips?
Smoking weed isn’t the same as popping pills. And yes, his shoulder injury and surgery ruined him, hence they had to completely overhaul his swing three, yes 3 times and he couldn’t regain his form.
As for his supposed routes to the ball, well he did win a gold glove and provided above average to near elite defense in center.. damn good I think, especially when you consider he’s a natural 1B

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I have a somewhat random question...

why does the Hickey pick get more attention than the Tuebert pick? Is it just because Hickey was 4th and Tuebert was 13th?

Is it because Teubert was in a draft where the Kings hit on Doughty and Voynov?

Hickey was an NHL player and they could have moved him for a 1st round pick which is a tragedy but he played 430 more games than Teubert.

In the history of bad draft picks made by this organization Hickey doesn't crack the top 10 for me but the way people flock back to mentioning it you would think it cost the team in a serious way.
top 5 vs top 20-25 pick.

This was his first draft. And the first case of Dean trying to be the smartest guy in the room, and not listening to others. Hickey was a solid top 10, but risky. Alzner would've been the smart move, not flashy, just a steady guy like Scudari. He ended up playing over 600 nhl games. He was just what you expected. With Hickey, he really wasn't given a chance and when he was ready to be given the chance, he had to go through waivers to play. Lost him to the Isles when Dean tried to sneak him through.

Teubert was a bad bad pick, considering what they gave up to get him.Every scout told him it was bad, drafting for need at that spot.He didn't listen. Any meathead dman can be found in later rounds from 4-7. Maybe we're all greedy now when you think what we could've gotten at that spot, i mean , just think of a Doughty-Karlsson for more than a decade tandem. That would've been insane. Even Dean brought that up once. We still got Doughty and Voynov, both helped win the cups, but still, you don't trade those assets unless its a sure thing. Teubert was not the BPA or a sure thing. The definition of a bust!

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I don’t think mentioning drugs is even remotely appropriate.

It’s confidence IMO, he’s not trusting himself or his technique which will explain his reaction times. I get the frustrated part because he’s not doing himself justice. Maybe being ‘the guy’ has played a part in it but at his best he is better than Copley even if he would still be a bit over paid.

When any player has confidence issues it’s hard to get out of it but they have the option to give a skater sheltered minutes and build slowly. With a goalie they cannot do that, so sending him down was the right choice. I hope he’s also seeing a sports psychologist. I think it’s a big IF as to whether he can get his game back mentally but if he can he’d at least be a decent backup. I think he will get a recall at some point after the TDL because they will want to see if he can do a job in the Play-Offs if needed. He’s certainly in better shape than he was and right now with Quick also struggling badly they need to know what they have in him as an option down the stretch or in the Playoffs. There is no way Quick gets waived but perhaps being a healthy scratch could be on the cards. Lots of IF’s though.
Speculating Cal is on dope is not fair.

I think you are on to part of the problems.

In addition and to a greater extent, believe he caught Quickitis.
That is, he lost out on starter to Quick and watched his renaissance last year and into the playoffs.
He was more of a positional goaltender but his frame left some holes with that approach.
He was probably coached to adopt more of hybrid style and incorporate a bit of what Quick did so well during the high points of his career.
It got into his head and he gave up what he had with his original style and both he and Quick
Do you think my boy Blakey is gonna pull a big sexy trade or is this going to be stetcher 2.0

were heavily scouted last year so teams figured out how to beat that style of goaltender and improved how to beat that style of goaltender.
Copley's style is the opposite and he had not been scouted too much on the NHL level recently.t
Feeling guilty about their role in the demise of CP and Quick, the Kings skaters played much better defense in front of Copley..
This gave Copley and the Kings a marked advantage and propelled them up the standings.
However, Copper is getting scouted heavily now so the advantage is fading;
This type of affect also happend with Scrivens , Budaj, Jones and Campbell on the Kings in the past.

Same trade strategy book as last years trades. @Sol

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Teubert was a bad bad pick, considering what they gave up to get him.Every scout told him it was bad, drafting for need at that spot.He didn't listen. Any meathead dman can be found in later rounds from 4-7. Maybe we're all greedy now when you think what we could've gotten at that spot, i mean , just think of a Doughty-Karlsson for more than a decade tandem. That would've been insane. Even Dean brought that up once. We still got Doughty and Voynov, both helped win the cups, but still, you don't trade those assets unless its a sure thing. Teubert was not the BPA or a sure thing. The definition of a bust!
Teubert was picked exactly where he was ranked.

And Karlsson was ranked below him by almost everyone, with his size being a question mark.

This paragraph is mostly revisionist.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I think it's worth pursuing

With Quick not being with us next year, it might even open the door for discussion of him playing in the NHL right away. Should Peterson be left in the AHL, or Copley goes somewhere else...he might be the best option we have.

I suppose we could even offer a lower pick to Buffalo for his rights (should we be able to talk to him first and sign).

Maybe we also go for NCAA free agent with Jacob Bengtsson. 6'3", 200lbs. Left handed D-man who should garner plenty of interest.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I was out in CA in the spring of 2009 and saw Tuebert play for the ECHL Reign. I have been able to see quite a few first round picks play over the years mostly in the NCAA but a few in the OHL too. I have never seen a less impressive 1st round pick (he made Mark Mitera look like Ray Bourque).

He was indeed taken where he was ranked, it was just a gigantic whiff by the entire scouting community.

My guess is the Kings probably knew right away, probably from the first rookie or training camp that they had made a massive blunder. Teams just don’t put 1st rounders in the ECHL.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
There is some chatter out there that Kings are serious players in talks on Barbashev of STL, who is expected to move soon now that Armstrong is moving pieces.
It's radio rumor type crap but it does make some sense from a hockey standpoint, the guy is a guided missile and we dont have anyone like him.
Barbashev would be great....the Blues collectively have been hurting with losses (for more or parts of season) O'Reilly, Buchnevich, Perunovich, Scandella...and many of their players offense down. Barbashev had 26 goals, 34 assists , 60 pts last yr. 23.4 wicked shooting percentage. Is 27 and can play LW or C. UFA. (60 pts would have been #2 on Kings last yr...even more than Kempe had, in his 54 pt breakout yr)

The Kings need a LHD and Goalie, but really need to move Lizotte to 4C immediately. I think the only way that happens, is to get a legit center now. Todd won't otherwise move Lizotte down. Barbashev is an upgrade to Ialallo, JAD and all the interchangeable parts that make up the bottom 6. Give them a #2 2023 and a non-top-tier prospect. If LHD Scandella was close to returning would even consider him, but he's not expected until mid-March. Barbashev is the type that can move up or down the top 9 and play LW or C.

Byfield Kopitar Kempe
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Fiala Barbashev Vilardi
Iafallo Lizotte Kaliyev
Kupari JAD

Replacing Lizzotte with Barbashev? That would add 10 more pts to Fiala, then he'll get playing with Lizotte.
That 3rd line could be the best lines, some nights...IF Vilardi's soon back and shoulder? is healed. If Gabe is out longer, Kaliyev, Kupari or JAD can play there. Half of Fiala's shifts end up being wasted, trying to carry those 2. It's criminal.
I wonder if the Blues would pry JAD or Kupari away. Would not deal Kupari if Barbashev does not sign an insta reasonable extension.

If you don't think Lizotte is a problem at 3C. If he's there Saturday, 3C, watch how often Kings lose posession, or Blake is fighting to try to get possession and doesn't and when Fiala has the puck, has little options with Lizotte and JAD being fringe NHL players in these roles to play with Fiala...and watch failure.
Put in Barbashev at 3C and see a completely different dynamic. There's a good chance Fiala and Barbashev would create higher possession and scoring attempts. Lizotte and JAD are a line above where they belong. Sure, JAD has a few moments most games, but moments are just that. Losing Gabe really has hurt.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

And Karlsson was ranked below him by almost everyone, with his size being a question mark.

Not at all. Both Yanetti and Futa agreed that taking Teubert there was the wrong pick , that they were picking for need, not the BPA. He was suppose to replace Greene, filling a need. Yanetti said everyone at the table thought it was the wrong pick at the time, that they got too cute with the pick [ and other ones too in later drafts]. And it was. His ranking was a bit al over the place from 12-27. But still, not the BPA, just the Biggest player available. Dean fell in love with size. Anyone who saw him get danced around by faster players in the WJC , then take a bad penalty, knew he was slow AF.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I was out in CA in the spring of 2009 and saw Tuebert play for the ECHL Reign. I have been able to see quite a few first round picks play over the years mostly in the NCAA but a few in the OHL too. I have never seen a less impressive 1st round pick (he made Mark Mitera look like Ray Bourque).

He was indeed taken where he was ranked, it was just a gigantic whiff by the entire scouting community.

My guess is the Kings probably knew right away, probably from the first rookie or training camp that they had made a massive blunder. Teams just don’t put 1st rounders in the ECHL.

He was like the biggest guy on the playground and intimidated guys, then when he got to a bigger playground with better guys you saw what he really was. Not very good.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

f*** yes it was

He's come a long damn way that's for sure

Im pretty sure he was listed at 165 lbs when drafted? Look at this angel

1676006255740.png

Him and Teubert couldn't tell more the stories of 'size at the draft' in that era

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I remember reading a story about Teubert bragging to other junior players that he had an NHL contract. That sure worked out for him.

As for why Hickey gets more attention than Teubert, the Kings were able to salvage Teubert into a player who did help the Kings in Dustin Penner (although for the large part he was a disappointment).

The Kings lost a 4th overall pick for nothing. They waived a player who should’ve made the team and opted to retain Davis Drewiske over him. On top of that, they traded for Keaton Ellerby that same season they waived Hickey. That’s just awful asset management.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
2008 was such an interesting draft for defensemen. For every Schenn, Myers, Tuebert, and Bogosian, there was a Doughty, Karlsson, Carlson, Pietrangelo, and Josi. Then there’s Voynov.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Your argument is literally, "Dean Lombardi almost failed a couple times so we should give Rob Blake a break." Is this incorrect?
No, not necessarily.

Some recent posts were discussing the job Dean did, and my post was in reference to that.

I don't judge a GM based purely on results, so had Lombardi not won a cup, I wouldn't necessarily think less of him as a GM.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
But they committed $8.5m for multiple years.

They did.

Meaning they are making room for him.

They did.

If they traded for him during the offseason, do you think his deal would have been any different?

Traded for him last summer, so they have him for a whole year? His new contract isn't what I'm talking about.

They traded for a $4.125m player for the rest of this year mid-season. They didn't add an $8.5m player this year with the same deal. If he was currently in the first year of his new 8 year/$68m contract, the trade to get him would've been different, if it happens at all. Is Van going to retain anything, significant at least, for 7 years? Unlikely.

A soon to be 28 year old soon to be UFA having a career year, who you might have a verbal agreement on an extension with, is not the same as a 30+ year old slowing down with 3, 4, 5 years left on an already locked in contract.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
They did.

They did.

Traded for him last summer, so they have him for a whole year? His new contract isn't what I'm talking about.

They traded for a $4.125m player for the rest of this year mid-season. They didn't add an $8.5m player this year with the same deal. If he was currently in the first year of his new 8 year/$68m contract, the trade to get him would've been different, if it happens at all. Is Van going to retain anything, significant at least, for 7 years? Unlikely.

A soon to be 28 year old soon to be UFA having a career year, who you might have a verbal agreement on an extension with, is not the same as a 30+ year old slowing down with 3, 4, 5 years left on an already locked in contract.

You're doing the same old obfuscation act.

Your original claim was that teams never trade for or add big AAV players, therefore any notion of trading a $10 million Kopitar was always unrealistic.

This is factually incorrect, and you know it. Just take the L.

Reactions: Sol and King'sPawn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad