Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Who was Tampa's player like that the past 3-4 years, or Colorado's last year?
To start. Tampa’s best defenseman is 6’6. Not counting Sergachev Cernak, Savard, Schenn, McDonough etc. they all have size. Who is going to push them around.

Colorado has Johnson 6-4, other Johnson 230lbs, brought in Manson and have a weaponized MacD in the press box.

Both teams d corps make ours look tiny.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
To start. Tampa’s best defenseman is 6’6. Not counting Sergachev Cernak, Savard, Schenn, McDonough etc. they all have size. Who is going to push them around.

Colorado has Johnson 6-4, other Johnson 230lbs, brought in Manson and have a weaponized MacD in the press box.

Even with the reworked blueline this past off-season they decided to bring in 6'4" Hayden Fleury and 6'6" Philippe Myers to be on the 3rd pairing.

Size matters.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I do enjoy your ability to make a conversation that included multiple points and find one thread that you will continue to pull on while ignoring everything else. First it was Tampa and Colorado didn't have toughness and when you were proven wrong you are trying to make it just about MacDermid playoff games.

Sorry, were you calling having what was it, 4th most major penalties as proof a team is tough?

Well shit then, every team should be dressing multiple MacDermids....right?

Like I said before, I think your definition of "tough" is a bit f***ed.....

I'm confused, did MacDermid switch to forward in Colorado?

He was a forward here as well for a bit..he's one of those players where you really really don't want to dress him....but if you have to, you hide him as best you can.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

So then....the tallest and heaviest teams win?

I swear to god, people's definition of toughness....is so f***ed up it's beyond recognition at this point....

If we are defining toughness as big and size, then Dwight King was one of the toughest LA Kings player of the past 15-20 years...right?

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

I swear to god, people's definition of toughness....is so f***ed up it's beyond recognition at this point....

If we are defining toughness as big and size, then Dwight King was one of the toughest LA Kings player of the past 15-20 years...right?
I mean..

He held his own against Ryan Reaves and Adam McQuaid along with some other very tough guys. So yeah; I'd say Dwight King was pretty tough.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Sorry, were you calling having what was it, 4th most major penalties as proof a team is tough?

Well shit then, every team should be dressing multiple MacDermids....right?

Like I said before, I think your definition of "tough" is a bit f***ed.....

You can't seriously believe that the Avs and Bolts are small soft teams can you? You don't think Landeskog is "tough"? Mackinnon? Cernak? Manson? Kucherov? Point? Sergachev? Perry? Paul?

Who on our team outside of Lemeiux comes close to them? I'm not even arguing that toughness is important to have success(though I do feel that way), I am saying that you are blatantl;y wrong in trying to paint Colorado and Tampa as teams who shy away from contact.

Also, how do you think you get major penalties? by being a contender for the Lady Byng?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You can't seriously believe that the Avs and Bolts are small soft teams can you? You don't think Landeskog is "tough"? Mackinnon? Cernak? Manson? Kucherov? Point? Sergachev? Perry? Paul?

Who on our team outside of Lemeiux comes close to them? I'm not even arguing that toughness is important to have success(though I do feel that way), I am saying that you are blatantl;y wrong in trying to paint Colorado and Tampa as teams who shy away from contact.

Also, how do you think you get major penalties? by being a contender for the Lady Byng?

I am saying fighting doesn't display toughness for f*** sake....not in this day and age, when last year the most fighting majors...was 61...by Nashville, admit I am a bit shocked by that....but the next closest team, was Minnesota 36, and Anaheim 35......you are telling me those two f***ing teams are "tough?"

Again, define tough, because shit, you named 8 players, and there's 4 that are in question, Because shit, if you think Point and Perry are tough......I don't know what to tell you....

It's hard to tell you who on our team is what you are looking for, when you haven't defined what it is that you are looking for.....someone who fights? Ok....Kucherov, 11 minors, no majors, Perry 23 minors, 2 majors, Point, 9 minors, 3 majors, Cernak, 17 minors, 2 majors, etc....

So clearly majors don't make those players tough....what does?

BTW, I wasn't painting COL or TB as anything, I was replying to a post that said they would take a big nasty 4th line C....over Lizotte....and I wanted to know who COL or TB had that was that person....

If you go by ice time, for COL it was big scary Tyson Jost...all 5'11 of him, though to be fair, they traded him for 6'3 Sturm....

And for TB it was big and scary Ross Colton....at 6'0......

It's not about being big and nasty, it's about being able to play the game.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002

No but people don’t usually try and take liberties with massive guys that are not afraid to hit back. That’s all I am saying.

Do you honestly believe our ex Calgary nemesis is now going to go after Hedman the way he went after Drew. I would bet not because Hedman himself would destroy him and I bet dollars to doughnuts if that did not happen Sergachev or Cernak would crush him in the following shifts.

There are the rare guys like Tie Domi that don’t mind fighting guys a lot bigger then him but we do not possess any one like that.

Our toughest guy might be our goalie.

Hell our real tough guy bites people.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No but people don’t usually try and take liberties with massive guys that are not afraid to hit back. That’s all I am saying.

Do you honestly believe our ex Calgary nemesis is now going to go after Hedman the way he went after Drew. I would bet not because Hedman himself would destroy him and I bet dollars to doughnuts if that did not happen Sergachev or Cernak would crush him in the following shifts.

There are the rare guys like Tie Domi that don’t mind fighting guys a lot bigger then him but we do not possess any one like that.

Our toughest guy might be our goalie.

Hell our real tough guy bites people.

Who in this league do you think is taking MASSIVE LIBERTIES.......the game has changed from that, there's no Sean Avery, or Matt Cooke running around.....

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I am saying fighting doesn't display toughness for f*** sake....not in this day and age, when last year the most fighting majors...was 61...by Nashville, admit I am a bit shocked by that....but the next closest team, was Minnesota 36, and Anaheim 35......you are telling me those two f***ing teams are "tough?"

You were the one who brought fighting into this conversation, at no point did I say that fighting was the only way to define toughness. I did mention major penalties, because it does show that a team plays with physicality and fights are a part of that.

Do I think that Anaheim is tough? Deslauriers sure as shit was a bruiser, I remember him from when he was a Kings prospect(think he was traded for McNabb(who also is tough in my opinion. Minnesota? Do you not know that Foligno is on their roster? Yes, I would say that last year both of those teams had players who were more physical than the Kings.

Again, define tough, because shit, you named 8 players, and there's 4 that are in question, Because shit, if you think Point and Perry are tough......I don't know what to tell you....

Who is in question? Point is tough as shit, maybe you haven't watched him play, but he plays with an edge and is not afraid to drop the mitts. Perry is dirty as f***, do you think he is a perimeter forward?

It's hard to tell you who on our team is what you are looking for, when you haven't defined what it is that you are looking for.....someone who fights? Ok....Kucherov, 11 minors, no majors, Perry 23 minors, 2 majors, Point, 9 minors, 3 majors, Cernak, 17 minors, 2 majors, etc....

So clearly majors don't make those players tough....what does?

I think that having players who play with an edge is critical to a team having success, physicality is still a big part of the game. I think the Kings are lacking that, but this argument isn't about that, it is about you claiming that the Avs and Bolts are not physical teams and being completely wrong. If you don't think Cernak, Kucherov, Perry and Point are physical or "tough" players then maybe you just don't watch enough hockey outside of the Kings.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You were the one who brought fighting into this conversation, at no point did I say that fighting was the only way to define toughness. I did mention major penalties, because it does show that a team plays with physicality and fights are a part of that.

Do I think that Anaheim is tough? Deslauriers sure as shit was a bruiser, I remember him from when he was a Kings prospect(think he was traded for McNabb(who also is tough in my opinion. Minnesota? Do you not know that Foligno is on their roster? Yes, I would say that last year both of those teams had players who were more physical than the Kings.

Who is in question? Point is tough as shit, maybe you haven't watched him play, but he plays with an edge and is not afraid to drop the mitts. Perry is dirty as f***, do you think he is a perimeter forward?

I think that having players who play with an edge is critical to a team having success, physicality is still a big part of the game. I think the Kings are lacking that, but this argument isn't about that, it is about you claiming that the Avs and Bolts are not physical teams and being completely wrong. If you don't think Cernak, Kucherov, Perry and Point are physical or "tough" players then maybe you just don't watch enough hockey outside of the Kings.

No this was the argument

"
BTW, I wasn't painting COL or TB as anything, I was replying to a post that said they would take a big nasty 4th line C....over Lizotte....and I wanted to know who COL or TB had that was that person....

If you go by ice time, for COL it was big scary Tyson Jost...all 5'11 of him, though to be fair, they traded him for 6'3 Sturm....

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
No this was the argument

"

Those two teams both have multiple players who are big and/or nasty, they are just not a good example to use to counter the arguments of people who think the Kings should have a bit more edge. Maybe use the Maple Leafs instead.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Those two teams both have multiple players who are big and/or nasty, they are just not a good example to use to counter the arguments of people who think the Kings should have a bit more edge. Maybe use the Maple Leafs instead.

Was thinking about it last night, and I wasn't using TB/COL as teams that don't have edge, I was using them to show the OP I was replying back to, that they don't have a big mean nasty 4th line C....

But the more I thought, who on the Kings plays with Edge...well....Fiala, Kempe, Danault, Moore, Grundstrom, Lemieux, Lizotte, Andersson, Durzi, Doughty, etc....

Then if you think a bit more, you need to define "edge" so please go ahead and define that....

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Was thinking about it last night, and I wasn't using TB/COL as teams that don't have edge, I was using them to show the OP I was replying back to, that they don't have a big mean nasty 4th line C....

But the more I thought, who on the Kings plays with Edge...well....Fiala, Kempe, Danault, Moore, Grundstrom, Lemieux, Lizotte, Andersson, Durzi, Doughty, etc....

Then if you think a bit more, you need to define "edge" so please go ahead and define that....

I don't think there is anywhere for this conversation to go when you are comparing Lizotte to guys like Landeskog and Cernak. We clearly have very different ideas of physicality.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I don't think there is anywhere for this conversation to go when you are comparing Lizotte to guys like Landeskog and Cernak. We clearly have very different ideas of physicality.

Well you keep changing the f***ing argument...first it was plays on an edge...now it's physicality....

But let me guess, you define physicality as the one throwing a check......of course you do.....you don't think of it as being able to TAKE a check and make a play, or get up and keep going.....I guarantee you players like Lizotte, get under a players skin more than a Cernak does.....

Nothing more demoralizing than laying an absolute monster hit, only for that player to get up and keep going like nothing happened.....

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Well you keep changing the f***ing argument...first it was plays on an edge...now it's physicality....

But let me guess, you define physicality as the one throwing a check......of course you do.....you don't think of it as being able to TAKE a check and make a play, or get up and keep going.....I guarantee you players like Lizotte, get under a players skin more than a Cernak does.....

Nothing more demoralizing than laying an absolute monster hit, only for that player to get up and keep going like nothing happened.....

Like I said we have different definitions of physicality and it's value in the modern game, that's OK. No need to attack me or act so dramatic, let's just let the conversation go because it is going nowhere.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Like I said we have different definitions of physicality and it's value in the modern game, that's OK. No need to attack me or act so dramatic, let's just let the conversation go because it is going nowhere.

If you can' tell by now, one of my weak spots, 30 years I still can't do it, probably won't happen now...but I will tell you this, I will take a player like Lizotte 100 x out of 100....than a general run of the mill 4th liner

Reactions: crassbonanza

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you can' tell by now, one of my weak spots, 30 years I still can't do it, probably won't happen now...but I will tell you this, I will take a player like Lizotte 100 x out of 100....than a general run of the mill 4th liner

I think the thing is we all tend to agree the team is currently lacking physicality, as nebulous a word as that is. I know we disagree on whether the personnel are there or not, but whether they are or not, they could certainly step up.

Personally I’d like to see a little more beef on D but I’m generally happy with the ‘Edge’ of the guys we have when they actually use it. I think That’s what’s been missing the first two games. We have plenty of guys that have bite in their games but they’ve been soft the first couple of games. And even guys without bite—like Kopitar and Lizotte—are exhausting to play against, as GBH mentions.

GBH I know you’ve played, and I totally agree. It’s f***ing ANNOYING murdering a guy like LIzotte and then he just pops back up like a god damn whack-a-mole and stick lifts the puck from you :laugh:

But I think what’s currently kind of missing, and hopefully the end of the last game was a wake up call, is the ‘got your back’s. I know there’s nothing more infuriating than going into a scrum and thinking you’ll be alone. It makes you not want to hit hard Because you know you’re going to have to take on 2-3 guys alone.

Reactions: Cianide

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think the thing is we all tend to agree the team is currently lacking physicality, as nebulous a word as that is. I know we disagree on whether the personnel are there or not, but whether they are or not, they could certainly step up.

Personally I’d like to see a little more beef on D but I’m generally happy with the ‘Edge’ of the guys we have when they actually use it. I think That’s what’s been missing the first two games. We have plenty of guys that have bite in their games but they’ve been soft the first couple of games. And even guys without bite—like Kopitar and Lizotte—are exhausting to play against, as GBH mentions.

GBH I know you’ve played, and I totally agree. It’s f***ing ANNOYING murdering a guy like LIzotte and then he just pops back up like a god damn whack-a-mole and stick lifts the puck from you :laugh:

But I think what’s currently kind of missing, and hopefully the end of the last game was a wake up call, is the ‘got your back’s. I know there’s nothing more infuriating than going into a scrum and thinking you’ll be alone. It makes you not want to hit hard Because you know you’re going to have to take on 2-3 guys alone.

I agree...there's a lack of fire right now....for whatever reason, you can point to the coach, you can point to the players, but it's just not there.....

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I agree...there's a lack of fire right now....for whatever reason, you can point to the coach, you can point to the players, but it's just not there.....
Maybe they need Sturm back? Oh wait, he's already taken....anyone see how he did with his Reign debut last night? Asking for a friend...

bland

Jul 1, 2004
“I don’t know of many players who can step right in and play without any development time in the AHL, maybe the McDavid types”
Yeah, but you need time to learn the kind of defensive structure that was on display in the first two games. That level of attention to detail isn't just something you are born with, things are different here in LA.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
07F424FC-58C6-4E59-8EB1-ED5736947B25.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad