Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I don’t necessarily want a fighter, I just think we need to add some size on the backend that would make us way tougher to play against. We have size at the Forward ranks but smurfs on Defense. Last night Soucy and Oleksiak did whatever they wanted to us.

Let’s face it, we love Drew but he’s a little bitch that does nothing but yap. Tkachuk showed us that.

Durzi tries to play with an edge but is small and can’t play Defence.

Not sure what Walker even gives us at this point.

Roy is our defensive guy but scares no one

Edler is our physical guy but so old and slow he can’t catch a cold.

I think a big guy or two back at the point makes other teams think twice of messing with our guys plus they are able to clear out the front of the crease and provide a defensive safety net for a puck over like Clarke or Durzi.

Also I like Lizotte but I am willing to sacrifice 5 extra goals a year to have a big bodied center that is nasty on our 4th line. Even a center that can for heck hard and leave a mark. Our forth line has a sniper, a head case and a midget. Not scary at all.

The guys that could change the identity of this team would not cost a whole lot in a trade. They wouldn’t tie up massive minutes a game. But some massive bodies would make a massive difference in the way other teams treat our team
Agree with the long term plan. I think there needs to be a short term fix (firedrill) for the d-corps. Its in shambles at the moment. Edler - gone / buyout, Walker waive, Roy 7th D. Bring up Bjornfot and Moverare. They are young but play stable defense and are good to their partners. As dicey as Durzi/Bjornfot were at times last year.. they at least know each other and are a decent pairing (im not happy with them as 2nd pair, but there is not much choice).. Clarke and Movarare - Id prefer Clarke to play with a vet but Movarare plays like a vet already so its the next best thing. I think this would give the Kings be best shot at making through til a trade can be commenced for the proper LHD.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
People roasting me all Summer for wanting to add a "tough guy" then only 2 games into the season wishing we had a Clifford/Simmonds/MacDermid on the team.

917jv1xqqb731.png
I don't want Clifford or Simmonds. Mac I would take but not at the contract the flyers gave him

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
It was Brown, wasn't it? Without him on the roster providing his fiery leadership the team lacks intensity and has fallen apart. We will have to bring him back or one of his kids in order to get this thing off the ground.

Or maybe we miss AA. Or was it Olli?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Who was Tampa's player like that the past 3-4 years, or Colorado's last year?

Tampa's entire team is scrappy so they don't really have a need for a single player to stand up for them. Tampa actually has the 4th most major penalties over the past 3 seasons. Colorado played MacDermid 58 games last season, so they obviously saw some need for toughness to get through a season. They may not be on the back end, but Tampa and Colorado are not soft teams at all.

Reactions: apadilla

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
One huge issue the Kings have is a lack of offensive production from the blue line. Mikey Anderson is 2nd on the team in even strength time on ice, while having a career P/60 of .49. It's actually kind of shocking when you look at the even strength scoring rates from our back end. There were 154 defensemen who played at least 900 even strength minutes last season among them Anderson ranked 149th in P/60, while Bjorfot was 144th, Durzi was 139th and Roy was 100th. What I find somewhat odd about the lack of production is that none of them are stay at home guys or crease clearing guys.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Tampa's entire team is scrappy so they don't really have a need for a single player to stand up for them. Tampa actually has the 4th most major penalties over the past 3 seasons. Colorado played MacDermid 58 games last season, so they obviously saw some need for toughness to get through a season. They may not be on the back end, but Tampa and Colorado are not soft teams at all.

Again, I think people in general.....get way too caught up in....what toughness is.....is MacDermid toughness...yea....no one is going to argue that, but is he the toughness that wins games? No....no he's not...not by a long shot, there's a reason he's played ZERO playoff games last year...

Team toughness 100% a thing, but it's not measured in major penalties......

One huge issue the Kings have is a lack of offensive production from the blue line. Mikey Anderson is 2nd on the team in even strength time on ice, while having a career P/60 of .49. It's actually kind of shocking when you look at the even strength scoring rates from our back end. There were 154 defensemen who played at least 900 even strength minutes last season among them Anderson ranked 149th in P/60, while Bjorfot was 144th, Durzi was 139th and Roy was 100th. What I find somewhat odd about the lack of production is that none of them are stay at home guys or crease clearing guys.

Really? That's exactly how I would rate Anderson, Bjornfoot, and Roy.......stay at home defensive dmen.....not necessarily crack your back clear the crease types, but steady defense first types

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC

I’m skeptical Anderson will turn out to be a legendary King, but you can’t count on offense from his elevated minutes. His partners paycheck puts the responsibility elsewhere for offense from the blue line for 23+ minutes of ice time guys.

If Anderson was a 15 point guy instead of an 8 point guy, then he’d be worth double his current salary. Which the Kings couldn’t comfortably afford. So it’s literally trying to squeeze blood from a stone to look for offense from that spot in the lineup.

The guy who screwed up the D was Edler who decided that he’d easily bag $1.5M for barely half a season of work. Who doesn’t think Toby plus Mikey rotating next to Drew wouldn’t work out better over 82 games than Edler’s expensive intangibles.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Again, I think people in general.....get way too caught up in....what toughness is.....is MacDermid toughness...yea....no one is going to argue that, but is he the toughness that wins games? No....no he's not...not by a long shot, there's a reason he's played ZERO playoff games last year...

Team toughness 100% a thing, but it's not measured in major penalties......

So, why did Colorado trade a fourth round pick for MacDermid and play him a majority of the season? If his toughness provides no value why would they bother?

You don't think that Major penalties can be a reflection of team toughness? I would assume a tough team would have a decent amount of majors, do you think otherwise?

Really? That's exactly how I would rate Anderson, Bjornfoot, and Roy.......stay at home defensive dmen.....not necessarily crack your back clear the crease types, but steady defense first types

Bjornfot is not a stay at home guy at all, but I suppose Mikey Anderson fits that mold. Still though, you would expect more intangibles to go laong with those low point totals.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Who was Tampa's player like that the past 3-4 years, or Colorado's last year?
On defense, Tampa has a Big lineup. The guy that sticks out is what's his name, oh yeah, former Kings draft pick Cernak. But each pairing they have clears the net and plays with an edge. Yzerman did a great job assembling that team.

For the Avs, i recall it being team toughness, as BigMac hardly dressed in the playoffs.

Guys willing to stand up for eachother, and get angry when liberties are taken. Almost everyone but Blake and his mgmt team seem to get it.

Reactions: funky

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So, why did Colorado trade a fourth round pick for MacDermid and play him a majority of the season? If his toughness provides no value why would they bother?

You don't think that Major penalties can be a reflection of team toughness? I would assume a tough team would have a decent amount of majors, do you think otherwise?

Bjornfot is not a stay at home guy at all, but I suppose Mikey Anderson fits that mold. Still though, you would expect more intangibles to go laong with those low point totals.

Tell me....how many games did he play in the playoffs?

You know why? Because 4th rounders are almost useless, and they needed a 4th line plug for almost 2/3 of the season...he's a 13th/14th/15th forward that you play when you have injuries, or no options....

Again, there is a REASON he didn't even sniff warmups in the playoffs....

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals
Jun 30, 2006
A little overreaction to 2 games.

The Kings played well in game one and crapped the bed in game 2 vs the Kraken. I do think this is the best roster we’ve seen since the 2014 run in terms of talent. We’ll see how good the coaching and developmental staff have been for the organization over time.

Reactions: Schrute farms

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

You know why? Because 4th rounders are almost useless, and they needed a 4th line plug for almost 2/3 of the season...he's a 13th/14th/15th forward that you play when you have injuries, or no options....

He played 58 games last season and has played both games so far this season, they went out of their way to acquire him and gave up assets to do so. Sakic obviously thought having some more toughness was something his team needed, guess you would know better though.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
On defense, Tampa has a Big lineup. The guy that sticks out is what's his name, oh yeah, former Kings draft pick Cernak. But each pairing they have clears the net and plays with an edge. Yzerman did a great job assembling that team.

For the Avs, i recall it being team toughness, as BigMac hardly dressed in the playoffs.

Guys willing to stand up for eachother, and get angry when liberties are taken. Almost everyone but Blake and his mgmt team seem to get it.

Yea, I can see that....it's not there as much as it was in the past....part of that is, we do have a young young roster....and hockey has changed in the past 10 years

He played 58 games last season and has played both games so far this season, they went out of their way to acquire him and gave up assets to do so. Sakic obviously thought having some toughness was something his team needed, guess you would know better though.

And yet...when the games REALLY mattered......he wasn't played.....makes you really wonder eh?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
And yet...when the games REALLY mattered......he wasn't played.....makes you really wonder eh?

I do enjoy your ability to make a conversation that included multiple points and find one thread that you will continue to pull on while ignoring everything else. First it was Tampa and Colorado didn't have toughness and when you were proven wrong you are trying to make it just about MacDermid playoff games.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Walker was the worst player on the ice in both games. and since we know he's told people he's not 100%, he needs to be sat

If anything was proven last season it's that Walker is completely expendable. There are better options on the bench and in Ontario than him. That's the sad truth. What sucks is that both Walker and Roy were signed to 3 and 4 year contracts. I get it you turned a college free agent and a seventh rounder into solid NHL players. However there needs to be some foresight as to what you have in the prospect pipeline, that there's a possibility that a number of them could outperform and replace those guys. It should have been two year contracts max.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
A little overreaction to 2 games.

The Kings played well in game one and crapped the bed in game 2 vs the Kraken. I do think this is the best roster we’ve seen since the 2014 run in terms of talent. We’ll see how good the coaching and developmental staff have been for the organization over time.
Didn't we give up like 51 shots in game one? I think you meant to say Quick played well

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe

I'm confused, did MacDermid switch to forward in Colorado?

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
If anything was proven last season it's that Walker is completely expendable. There are better options on the bench and in Ontario than him. That's the sad truth. What sucks is that both Walker and Roy were signed to 3 and 4 year contracts. I get it you turned a college free agent and a seventh rounder into solid NHL players. However there needs to be some foresight as to what you have in the prospect pipeline, that there's a possibility that a number of them could outperform and replace those guys. It should have been two year contracts max.
Isn't Bjornfot a lefty? I'd much rather him up in the NHL getting reps than Walker playing on his off side. I have a feeling they were trying to show that he has value for a trade or something, but I wouldn't mind if they just waive him at this point. Having only 2 LD on the entire roster right now is dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad