Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
What would it take for the Kings to get a big, tough, shutdown defenseman? What would the Kings likely be giving up to get that?

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
What would it take for the Kings to get a big, tough, shutdown defenseman? What would the Kings likely be giving up to get that?
They don't come cheap. Look what Zadorov/Gudbranson got. Not sure who other targets would be; Brendan Dillion?

Reactions: Cianide

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
They don't come cheap. Look what Zadorov/Gudbranson got. Not sure who other targets would be; Brendan Dillion?
Coming from a Caps fan, Dillion ads toughness on the back end, but he will have challenges against faster forwards and he has a habit of taking penalties at times. So he might not be a good fit playing for the Kings.

Reactions: Cianide

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I still think Carson Soucy could be had for a prospect and a pick (let’s say 2nd round). Probably have to wait until the trade deadline for something like this to happen. If Seattle is out of the playoff picture at that point Soucy will be an attractive target.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I still think Carson Soucy could be had for a prospect and a pick (let’s say 2nd round). Probably have to wait until the trade deadline for something like this to happen. If Seattle is out of the playoff picture at that point Soucy will be an attractive target.
Ben Chiarot got a 1st, 4th, and prospect.

I'd imagine the price on Soucy would be just as bad.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The prospect (Smilanic) is mediocre, though. By far the greatest asset is the 1st and the 4th is 'meh.' If the Kings were to give up (what would be a late) 1st, 4th, and one of Laferriere/Simontaival/Connors, is anyone really that miffed?

Edit: from a value standpoint, anyway. I could get saying we're not at the step of shooting for pure rentals yet, but presumably Blake would make that trade with an extension etc.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Ben Chiarot has a history of playing top pairing minutes and a big role. Soucy has a history of playing bottom pairing minutes, even in Seattle's first season. So I'm just going to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Ben Chiarot has a history of playing top pairing minutes and a big role. Soucy has a history of playing bottom pairing minutes, even in Seattle's first season. So I'm just going to go ahead and disagree with you there.
He is the only player of his type that is “potentially” available, and it’s a coveted player type come playoff time.

The price will be absurd, and this team isn’t a Soucy away from making any real noise. There are much bigger fish to fry, that don’t cost wasted assets to address.

Gotta build a culture here with the guys on ELC’s, or a shiny new toy is moot.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
He's a third pairing d man. He might get exposed.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
He is the only player of his type that is “potentially” available, and it’s a coveted player type come playoff time.

The price will be absurd, and this team isn’t a Soucy away from making any real noise. There are much bigger fish to fry, that don’t cost wasted assets to address.

Gotta build a culture here with the guys on ELC’s, or a shiny new toy is moot.
Every season there are guys available. It's what makes the trade deadline fun.

If someone offered a first round pick for Soucy, Seattle would be fools not to take that and run. He's a good player, but you don't give up a first round pick for a bottom pairing D.

I personally don't think Blake makes a move like this. He's not your favorite GM come trade deadline time. His acquisitions come in the offseason, when prices are low. His trade deadline acquisitions, Troy Stetcher for a 7th (2022) and Brendan Lemieux for a 4th (2021). His offseason acquisitions, Victor Arvidsson (2021) and Kevin Fiala (2022) cost early picks. If he was going to make a move for a big bruiser, he won't wait for the deadline to make that deal.

I'm just responding to Cianide's original question of who and for how much. If I were Blake, Soucy is my target, and a 2nd and a prospect would be my best offer.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Coming from a Caps fan, Dillion ads toughness on the back end, but he will have challenges against faster forwards and he has a habit of taking penalties at times. So he might not be a good fit playing for the Kings.
He's got to be faster than Edler. He also led the Jets D in +/- last year on a crummy team (+16). If the Jets were willing to trade him it would probably cost a young RHD and a 2nd.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The balance of LHD and RHD is coming to a head as it is throwing the entire D out of whack. Sure Blakes hot on the phone, especially with East conf. If not Walker should be waived and Bjornfot recalled.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

So, basically Matt Greene, without the ability to interfere like they could 10 years ago.

The balance of LHD and RHD is coming to a head as it is throwing the entire D out of whack. Sure Blakes hot on the phone, especially with East conf. If not Walker should be waived and Bjornfot recalled.

People need to stop with the waiving of Walker. He's making $3m this year, and $3.35m next year. They're not putting that money in Ontario.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I guess the issue is that RHD play their off less frequently. Its much more common for a LHD to play the off side. They need to be comfortable on their back hands and have a good ability to adjust Body position, good hands helps. Based on skill sets I think Durzi and Clarke are probably the best fits but I’m not sure I want either there (Clarke needs to just focusing on the NHL adjustment, not a position change also).

I think Bjornfot will benefit for a stretch in the AHL but should come up at some point. In fairness to Walker he was on the sidelines for a long time and it’s not realistic to expect his best after 2 games. He also needs games if we hope to move him and to that end I think he’s more likely to impress whilst playing RD. Its definitely a juggling act.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
2 expansion teams have, what I believe, are the biggest + mobile d-core in our division. Seattle and Vegas. How were they able to get these D men and why the Kings didn't get involved in any trades for them is a failure to address an organizational need since the Muzzin trade.

The cost now will be much higher since the names thrown around are now playing in division. I think the ship has sailed on those guys. Maybe we can pry Romanov off of the Islanders if he struggles a bit but IMO we need to keep our 1st rounders and draft our own LDs.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
2 expansion teams have, what I believe, are the biggest + mobile d-core in our division. Seattle and Vegas. How were they able to get these D men and why the Kings didn't get involved in any trades for them is a failure to address an organizational need since the Muzzin trade.

The cost now will be much higher since the names thrown around are now playing in division. I think the ship has sailed on those guys. Maybe we can pry Romanov off of the Islanders if he struggles a bit but IMO we need to keep our 1st rounders and draft our own LDs.
I mean one of those teams iced three former kings game 1

I guess the issue is that RHD play their off less frequently. Its much more common for a LHD to play the off side. They need to be comfortable on their back hands and have a good ability to adjust Body position, good hands helps. Based on skill sets I think Durzi and Clarke are probably the best fits but I’m not sure I want either there (Clarke needs to just focusing on the NHL adjustment, not a position change also).

I think Bjornfot will benefit for a stretch in the AHL but should come up at some point. In fairness to Walker he was on the sidelines for a long time and it’s not realistic to expect his best after 2 games. He also needs games if we hope to move him and to that end I think he’s more likely to impress whilst playing RD. Its definitely a juggling act.
I think Bjornfot will get called up once Clarke is sent to the OHL after his 9 game stint.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I mean one of those teams iced three former kings game 1

I think Bjornfot will get called up once Clarke is sent to the OHL after his 9 game stint.

I'm hoping they keep Clarke and still bring up Bjornfot to balance things out. Sending down Clarke might look ridiculous in 9 games as he's already one of our better defensemen.

I fully expect the defense to tighten up and a lot can happen in the next 3 weeks or so. The more consecutive games Clarke plays, the more likely it is he stays up all year. If there is a plan to send him back after 9 games they will obviously want to spread that out. If that forces the team to move guys not in the long term plan, all the better. I appreciate Roy and Walker and what they bring, but I would rather the team focus on what they see as the future core to help them build chemistry.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm hoping they keep Clarke and still bring up Bjornfot to balance things out. Sending down Clarke might look ridiculous in 9 games as he's already one of our better defensemen.

I fully expect the defense to tighten up and a lot can happen in the next 3 weeks or so. The more consecutive games Clarke plays, the more likely it is he stays up all year. If there is a plan to send him back after 9 games they will obviously want to spread that out. If that forces the team to move guys not in the long term plan, all the better. I appreciate Roy and Walker and what they bring, but I would rather the team focus on what they see as the future core to help them build chemistry.
but then you would have to waive someone, who would you waive? (Edler has my vote)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad