Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob8hockey*

I like Hope Smoke for his tweeting of interviews and stuff but as soon as it comes to his own opinion I throw it out. I am really not a fan of his opinion and I feel like we sit on the complete opposite end of each other in that regard.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Wow...were are not five years away man. Simply put Randys style doesnt suit the team. They cant play a d game, not with the players we have HOWEVER look at our d last year..it wasnt great but it was way better than this year and the players that we had then and now on d arent much different. I really feel like Randy lost the players..which is why I think he gets fired. I also think Komarov maybe back next year for us. BTW Clarkson and Bolland werent brought in because we were making a cup run..you dont get those guys to do that. You get a ridiculous rental player. Poor Bolland gets an extremely severe injury..gotta wonder if things may have gone different if he was healthy. Then Clarkson had a bad start and never looked comfortable out there. There are major moves ahead and Leiweke seems like a no bs guy. He has done wonders with TFC and lesser but still so with the Raps. Kinda excited to see what happens

we are not 5 years away???hrmmm lets me check our point totals the last couple years where we had a 82 game season

this year 84p with two games left

2011/12 80p
2010/11 85p ,

I think we have stalled out.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Wow...were are not five years away man. Simply put Randys style doesnt suit the team. They cant play a d game, not with the players we have HOWEVER look at our d last year..it wasnt great but it was way better than this year and the players that we had then and now on d arent much different. I really feel like Randy lost the players..which is why I think he gets fired. I also think Komarov maybe back next year for us. BTW Clarkson and Bolland werent brought in because we were making a cup run..you dont get those guys to do that. You get a ridiculous rental player. Poor Bolland gets an extremely severe injury..gotta wonder if things may have gone different if he was healthy. Then Clarkson had a bad start and never looked comfortable out there. There are major moves ahead and Leiweke seems like a no bs guy. He has done wonders with TFC and lesser but still so with the Raps. Kinda excited to see what happens

SO YOUR SAYING WITH A NEW COACH, WE CAN BECOME CONTENDERS?:shakehead
last year was 48 games, this year at 48 games we were in 2nd:nod:

komarov will want 3.5 to 4 mil, we have no money like that to throw away,,,,, we had it last year before we signed clarkson

prediction for the leafs at the start was right where we are:nod: ( experts say)

major moves by leiweki will take 2-5 years. so expect no playoffs next year

NONIS SHOULD BE THE 1ST TO GO FOR OVER EVALUATING PLAYERS AND THE TEAM

CARLYLE WAS GIVING A TEAM TO COACH, AHL TEAM THAT IS, HES NOT GOD,,,,,,,,,,,

THESE PLAYERS PLAY WITH NO HEART.

we were at a max cap hit this year, so even if carlyle wanted to sit players, there were no other players available for him, we were at 22 players all year,

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@Hope_Smoke: Dreger "I haven't talked to Shanahan but those that are familiar with this storyline suggest he's keenly interested in the Leafs"

@Hope_Smoke: Dreger "What if Nonis isn't there? Of course the firing of Nonis could be a possibility"

Dreger just achknowledged Nonis could get fired?

Oh boy, Nonis is Done :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
@Hope_Smoke: Dreger "I haven't talked to Shanahan but those that are familiar with this storyline suggest he's keenly interested in the Leafs"

@Hope_Smoke: Dreger "What if Nonis isn't there? Of course the firing of Nonis could be a possibility"

wow.
holy smokes.

UK1lw.gif

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

hurrah:handclap:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@JSportsnet: Following up @RealKyper 's report on Shanahan joining Leafs. Source says Lieweke is "trying really hard to land him,but too early to know"

Big shakeup is on the horizon it seems

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@JSportsnet: And as Linden,Shanahan news comes up...2nd source says that Wayne Gretzky is hoping to get a call from an NHL team. "He's ready to work".

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
@JSportsnet: Following up @RealKyper 's report on Shanahan joining Leafs. Source says Lieweke is "trying really hard to land him,but too early to know"

Big shakeup is on the horizon it seems

So it seems. As I said earlier, you cant just leave Nonis in charge if Shanny falls through. My guess is Hextall or "Number 99" are plan B

Maple Leaf Forever

Sep 9, 2013
Shanahan or Gretzky are both welcomed by this Leaf fan

With all due respect not sure why....our problems lie from Nonis to the players....signing one of these guys to an upper management role in my opinion would be perceived as an organizational move to deflect criticism and discontent of the fan base away from the real issues

I don't need to hear Wayne Gretsky saying all the right thinks to the media.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Everyone in hockey wants to be the guy that gets the Leafs the cup. You can't land a better position in the NHL outside of Bettman.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
So it seems. As I said earlier, you cant just leave Nonis in charge if Shanny falls through. My guess is Hextall or "Number 99" are plan B

As Nonis replacements? Or as Hockey Ops guys that Nonis answers to?

It sounds like Shanahan is being brought in to be a figure head above Nonis, at which point you have to wonder just what the point of keeping Nonis is if, as an organization, you are going to tie his hands behind his back.

It would pretty much be like the JRJ era all over again, and everyone's favorite word will be "autonomy" again

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Want to go on record as saying Wayne was not a terrible coach. He was 500 coach and did not have the ponies to do better.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Nonis will be probably be heading to Calgary next. Lieweke stated in his interview with Strombo that he considers Burke a good friend and meets with him regularly to this day. He probably told him that he's getting ready to dump Nonis and that he would be available soon.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Want to go on record as saying Wayne was not a terrible coach. He was 500 coach and did not have the ponies to do better.

that's what I always heard.
besides. he did well with team Canada 1.0 :nod:

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
I like this Tim guy. Seems to actually give a ****.

He is just another blowhard, looking to make pointless moves to pacify Leafs fans. Hiring Shanahan isn't going to change the fact that the Leafs are going to be mediocre at best until the current core of players are gone.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
As Nonis replacements? Or as Hockey Ops guys that Nonis answers to?

It sounds like Shanahan is being brought in to be a figure head above Nonis, at which point you have to wonder just what the point of keeping Nonis is if, as an organization, you are going to tie his hands behind his back.

It would pretty much be like the JRJ era all over again, and everyone's favorite word will be "autonomy" again

As Hockey Ops guy.

If Shanny says no, you can't just keep Nonis in charge of Hockey stuff. The cats out of the bag now, and what this means is that MLSE no longer has faith in Nonis to control things.

The new position seems to be more or less be a GM in the sense of what we're used to. GMs are more or less assistant GMs now.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would definitely be on board. Shanahan has a pretty high vantage point in terms of league operations, is a respected person and comes from the Red Wings culture of success. He could do a lot to identify what's not cutting it in Toronto.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
@JSportsnet: And as Linden,Shanahan news comes up...2nd source says that Wayne Gretzky is hoping to get a call from an NHL team. "He's ready to work".

Shanahan as President of Hockey Ops and Gretzky as Coach/GM. and Nonis is the puppet with the title of GM.

seems familiar doesn't it? :laugh:

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Nonis will be probably be heading to Calgary next. Lieweke stated in his interview with Strombo that he considers Burke a good friend and meets with him regularly to this day. He probably told him that he's getting ready to dump Nonis and that he would be available soon.

Man where do I get a buddy like Burke. I am 100% okay with just following a guy from one city to the next if I have a highly lucrative job lined up each time.

As for Shanny coming on board I am all for it. That being said I am still not 100% on the getting rid of Nonis train.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
He is just another blowhard, looking to make pointless moves to pacify Leafs fans. Hiring Shanahan isn't going to change the fact that the Leafs are going to be mediocre at best until the current core of players are gone.

okay? he flat out said not even three weeks ago he'll see what the team is made off - if we get eliminated there will be changes and if we make it, we'd be the hottest team going in. we were eliminated. not even 12 hours later, we're hearing he's hiring a hockey ops guy. [meaning he's bringing in someone who can do the job better than he. ergo. Hockey Ops guy will bring in a better GM with a clearer focus for both drafting, UFA and the on ice product. New GM will assess and move out some of the contracts and bring in better support without waiting for months.

but sure. he's a blowhard :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad