Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Jeff Marek speculated yesterday that Ron Hextall might be getting a call from an old boss who happened to be his boss in LA soon.

Leiweke
Shanahan
Hextall
??????

OR

Leiweke
Nonis
Carlyle

Easy Answer. Go Leiweke Go! Do it, Do it, DOOOOO it

Wouldn't mind this. I think if Nonis goes, 1 or both of Poulin and Loiselle go as well. They've all been here for 4-6 years now, they've put this core together, and in those years we have 1 playoff appearance and 3 straight seasons of a collapse of some form. Sure Burke was in charge for four of those years, but they were still part of the group running things.

Once they go,, you give the new management group the ability to take the axe to this roster. We have lots of good assets, and I am sure with the right moves you could take this franchise on a complete 180 in 1-2 years.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Pot calling the kettle black, here.

Your posts on this page show that you neglect to think prior to posting. All TL can do right now is speak vaguely. Wait until the season's done, before you go spouting off.

I've already heard what he has to say and it's absolutely nothing. Stuff for the board of directors to listen to. There is nothing about drafting and developing, nothing about playing style or system. It's not the pot calling the kettle black because I'm completely agreeing with MLSE's philosophy. 1 year and you're out.

o Oblivious

Sep 30, 2013
All MLSE management(including Leweike this year) and board of directors, should be fired every year until they make the playoffs.

Solid logic.

The majority of the blame falls on Carlyle. He has allowed this team to collapse for two consecutive years. If you cannot perform at your job for two years, then yeah, you get fired.

Nonis has been in the organization for five seasons now. Four of them the Leafs have missed the playoffs, two of those seasons resulted in massive collapses late in the season, and in the one season they actually made the playoffs, they collapsed yet again.

Both Nonis and Carlyle have a losing track record...

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
truthfully? if we were 2nd/3rd in the atlantic? probably not but I know Randy's still probably-ish in trouble.

if we backdoored it on the last day? Nonis probably-ish...

and this is what I find most freighting

it's takes time to build a cup contender , sometimes you need to take 1 step back to take two tomorrow

IDK ,like say ,instead of caving into Dions contract demands you deal him before the last TD , if your job is in jeopardy for "just missing the playoffs" , the GM will cave in. How can a GM do a " take it or leave it" negotiation when the agent knows, "if he does not make the playoffs , he is getting fired"

You have a bunch of UFAs but are sniffing the edges of a playoff spot , do you trade them for long term goals or keep them "just to make the playoffs"

if you are feeling the pressure to "just make the playoffs" or else

do you push/rush to ink guys like Clarkson, trade for Bolland?

this is my problem with firing a GM after only 2 seasons as the head man, lolz and he just inked a 5 year deal.

Last edited:

leafstilldeath*

Its funny reading some posts here from the posters. All these posters were praising Nonis and Carlyle, making fun of corsi, talking about quality of shots (some guy used to put up pictures about quality of shot after games), being out possessed was not an issue for them.

They would turn on me and posters like myself and now...... lol.

Its funny......

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Its funny reading some posts here from the posters. All these posters were praising Nonis and Carlyle, making fun of corsi, talking about quality of shots (some guy used to put up pictures about quality of shot after games), being out possessed was not an issue for them.

Its funny......

for me it's not the Corsi or whatever people want to wave their flag on. (and again the whole Corsi thing was also kind of interesting that in all but 1 game (the St Louis game) the Leafs outshot and out Corsi'ed their oppenents.

i don't care about that. okay let me qualify this - i care about it, but it's not like "oh my God! we're out possessed! Let's fire everyone!!" I don't.

What bothers me (ergo - what I feel what bothers a lot of people) is not the fact that they were out Corsi'ed or out whatevered - is that from puckdrop October 1st 2013, this team looked wrong. And sure. I will not deny that I was like, I don't care - as long as they were winning, and I figured even if they came down to earth - it wouldn't be....December/March bad. it would be about .500 hockey. I was prepared to wave my flag on "we're still rebuilding, we'll make changes as we need to go along."

it drives me nuts (and it's not really a poke at you per se, it's everyone like the media, too) that you can't enjoy the fact that the Leafs win - and still be concerned. or you can be optimistic that things can turn around - but also look at the fact that the Leafs couldn't fight (and i don't mean punch, i mean sheer will) themselves a win. it bothers me that Nonis or whatever looked at the team last year (and there were flags last year too - and again. I'm a fan. I'm allowed to be all tralalala who cares - but this is their job - that the Leafs only clinched the playoffs the last week before the playoffs. All 3 teams (Montreal-Boston-Toronto will floundering, but the Leafs looked like they did this year for all 82 game).

people can be both. I'm not going to bemoan the win. and i'm not going to be dooooooooooooooooooooom the loss. but I am allowed to be cranky when they don't try. and Corsi no matter how advanced it is, can't say "yes. the Leafs didn't try." and that's what I'M upset about (i don't know about anyone else).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
and this is what I find most freighting

it's takes time to build a cup contender , sometimes you need to take 1 step back to take two tomorrow

IDK ,like say ,instead of caving into Dions contract demands you deal him before the last TD , if your job is in jeopardy for "just missing the playoffs" , the GM will cave in. How can a GM do a " take it or leave it" negotiation when the agent knows, "if he does not make the playoffs , he is getting fired"

You have a bunch of UFAs but are sniffing the edges of a playoff spot , do you trade them for long term goals or keep them "just to make the playoffs"

if you are feeling the pressure to "just make the playoffs" or else

do you push/rush to ink guys like Clarkson, trade for Bolland?

this is my problem with firing a GM after only 2 seasons as the head man, lolz and he just inked a 5 year deal.

i think that's why a GM is such a fluid job. I personally wouldn't have signed either one (Kessel/Phaneuf) until the end of the season. 8x8 wouldn't have changed for Kessel in my opinion, and by waiting, you could have seen what Phaneuf would have done (or you know - trade him if you wanted to). I personally would probably make this into a Leafs thing - no contract will be negotiated until after the Leafs are no long contending for a cup. flat out.

and to me the moves Nonis made don't make sense now. I am all for being forgiving until the dust settles, and dust settled. there are two things that are beign reported

1: the leafs felt like they were expected to build on last year (ie: make playoffs, win a round or whatever) THAT'S why you got Clarkson/Bolland

and now it's

2: we were totally prepared that it would be a flat out struggle. which is bull, because then you all wouldn't look like you wer gonna be fired at the end of the year. and you wouldn't have trade for a rental and signed that monster Clarkson deal.

they donned goofed big time. and they trapped themselves with at least Phaneuf. and now they're in trouble and gonna be fired.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Solid logic.

The majority of the blame falls on Carlyle. He has allowed this team to collapse for two consecutive years. If you cannot perform at your job for two years, then yeah, you get fired.

Nonis has been in the organization for five seasons now. Four of them the Leafs have missed the playoffs, two of those seasons resulted in massive collapses late in the season, and in the one season they actually made the playoffs, they collapsed yet again.

Both Nonis and Carlyle have a losing track record...

It's not my logic. We just need somebody to blame next year though. Shanahan would look good getting fired next year for sure.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
for me it's not the Corsi or whatever people want to wave their flag on. (and again the whole Corsi thing was also kind of interesting that in all but 1 game (the St Louis game) the Leafs outshot and out Corsi'ed their oppenents.

The are actually at 39% possession rating at close situations (within 2 goals in 1-2 period or tied in the 3rd period). Meaning the Leafs manage to shoot a lot when it is a little too late (meaning the opposite team has gone in a shell), also known as score effects.

I am not sure about Shanahan but he seems promising. He watches a lot of video (for the suspension committee) and might have good ideas. Hopefully, he is in to analytics and uses it to his advantage.

I am 100% sure, the Leafs will do much better with a good system that focuses on possession. They have top 10 offence in the league, they just need to defence side to contribute.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
i think that's why a GM is such a fluid job. I personally wouldn't have signed either one (Kessel/Phaneuf) until the end of the season. 8x8 wouldn't have changed for Kessel in my opinion, and by waiting, you could have seen what Phaneuf would have done (or you know - trade him if you wanted to). I personally would probably make this into a Leafs thing - no contract will be negotiated until after the Leafs are no long contending for a cup. flat out.

and to me the moves Nonis made don't make sense now. I am all for being forgiving until the dust settles, and dust settled. there are two things that are beign reported

1: the leafs felt like they were expected to build on last year (ie: make playoffs, win a round or whatever) THAT'S why you got Clarkson/Bolland

and now it's

2: we were totally prepared that it would be a flat out struggle. which is bull, because then you all wouldn't look like you wer gonna be fired at the end of the year. and you wouldn't have trade for a rental and signed that monster Clarkson deal.

they donned goofed big time. and they trapped themselves with at least Phaneuf. and now they're in trouble and gonna be fired.

as for waiting past their final TD to ink your UFAs , I don't abide by that at all.

if you don't know what you have in that player by then, I say the final 23/25 games won't make a difference.

you don't let assets go past the TD point of no return , you have now lost their trade value and negotiation leverage.

IIRC a player has to be with a team by x date or they can not offer the 8th year.

Suter and Parise walked away with no asset returns for Nashv and NJ , that really hurts a franchise.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013

Its funny......

Mirtle is sitting somewhere, cackling maniacally, screaming Corsi at the top of his lungs while joyously downing a bottle of champagne.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
He's been at the helm for two years, and #2 in the organization for 3 before that. He has had a lot of influence on making this core.

Any extra time granted in the captains chair is simply a gift from god at this point. He should be gone.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
The fact of the matter is this. The Leafs are trying to play a system in which they don't have the right players for. The defence are way too ****ing slow and half our forwards are soft and don't grind/cycle

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
The fact of the matter is this. The Leafs are trying to play a system in which they don't have the right players for. The defence are way too ****ing slow and half our forwards are soft and don't grind/cycle

Our forwards are the issue, and not our defense. They don't come back with nearly as much energy and hunger to help out the D. They need do. All great teams have forwards who have the willingness to help out their D.

Kesse, Kadri, Lupul, and even Kulemin are guilty of that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our forwards are the issue, and not our defense. They don't come back with nearly as much energy and hunger to help out the D. They need do. All great teams have forwards who have the willingness to help out their D.

Kesse, Kadri, Lupul, and even Kulemin are guilty of that.

Even worse our centers. We have possibly the worst bunch in the league. Kadri is a kid who should still be cutting his teeth on the 3rd line regardless of his pts totals.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
as for waiting past their final TD to ink your UFAs , I don't abide by that at all.

if you don't know what you have in that player by then, I say the final 23/25 games won't make a difference.

you don't let assets go past the TD point of no return , you have now lost their trade value and negotiation leverage.

IIRC a player has to be with a team by x date or they can not offer the 8th year.

Suter and Parise walked away with no asset returns for Nashv and NJ , that really hurts a franchise.

then you make the decision to trade them then. I personally would have (for asset management). but at the same time - do you assume that Player X would play the best hockey of his career (deemed by most media markets not just Toronto), and then sign a contract) and then play brutal hockey for for the other 1/2 of the season?

There are plenty of players who sign past TD day. Parise as I recall really jerked NJ around. but now a days - simply having cap space is an asset. so sure you could argue - no picks. but then you're able to make trades (if you need to) by offering to take salary etc.

[but to be fair, I don't know most of the nuances of the cap. :laugh:]

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think they definitely need to rework the roster. Having guys who can play in the NHL and guys who work together as a team isn't quite the same thing.

Hopefully they just work from top to bottom on this. Fix the management, who then picks a new coach, who works with the management to make what roster decisions they feasibly can make.

Whoever they get to coach I just hope understands the concept of an actual fourth line. Sticking a fighter that doesn't fight anymore (Orr) along with other guys you only trust to play 3 minutes a game isn't going to work, just going to tire out the rest of the lines.

Just have to hope that if Shanahan does come in it's a sign they are ready to make necessary changes.

Sad we've got 2 more games left before we're officially done, but right now I'm in total offseason mode :laugh:.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think they definitely need to rework the roster. Having guys who can play in the NHL and guys who work together as a team isn't quite the same thing.

Hopefully they just work from top to bottom on this. Fix the management, who then picks a new coach, who works with the management to make what roster decisions they feasibly can make.

Whoever they get to coach I just hope understands the concept of an actual fourth line. Sticking a fighter that doesn't fight anymore (Orr) along with other guys you only trust to play 3 minutes a game isn't going to work, just going to tire out the rest of the lines.

Just have to hope that if Shanahan does come in it's a sign they are ready to make necessary changes.

Sad we've got 2 more games left before we're officially done, but right now I'm in total offseason mode :laugh:.

i know!
draahhmaaaah is coming!

if they can build a fluid 12 man unit instead of this top 6 bottom 6 that would be great

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
FlareKnight, you should be working in the Leafs front office. Your posts are always spot-on.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
One thing extremely odd today was that neither Nonis or Carlyle addressed or appeared before the media.

This could only mean that something is cooking on the backburner and there could be change on the horizon sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad