Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
One thing extremely odd today was that neither Nonis or Carlyle addressed or appeared before the media.

This could only mean that something is cooking on the backburner and there could be change on the horizon sooner rather than later.

Ya i thought that was strange too, especially because we seem to have press conferences about everything.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ya i thought that was strange too, especially because we seem to have press conferences about everything.

Well for one they're in Florida. And two the news didnt break until well after practice.

And three; Nonis isnt going to hold a press conference about possibly losing his job. He'll get fired and we'll likely never hear from him again.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
lol, poorly worded I guess

But really, how often do you hear from fired hockey executuves (at least until they get another job)?

Not that often. But I think Nonis have a job lined up at Calgary.

Would be "fun" if he did get that job and the Burke/Nonis combo did not try to get some of their players from the Leafs, like Phaneuf.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
I hope he starts by firing a large swath of our management core, including Nonis and Carlyle. Not because I have any particular axe to grind, but after watching Burke get fired riding a coach Fletcher hired, and now Nonis flop with with a guy Burke hired, I'd like to see a proper reset and a unified vision. Tired of watching them all trip over the last guys shoelaces.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I hope he starts by firing a large swath of our management core, including Nonis and Carlyle. Not because I have any particular axe to grind, but after watching Burke get fired riding a coach Fletcher hired, and now Nonis flop with with a guy Burke hired, I'd like to see a proper reset and a unified vision. Tired of watching them all trip over the last guys shoelaces.

If anything I hope both sides can agree on this.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
for me it's not the Corsi or whatever people want to wave their flag on. (and again the whole Corsi thing was also kind of interesting that in all but 1 game (the St Louis game) the Leafs outshot and out Corsi'ed their oppenents.

i don't care about that. okay let me qualify this - i care about it, but it's not like "oh my God! we're out possessed! Let's fire everyone!!" I don't.

What bothers me (ergo - what I feel what bothers a lot of people) is not the fact that they were out Corsi'ed or out whatevered - is that from puckdrop October 1st 2013, this team looked wrong. And sure. I will not deny that I was like, I don't care - as long as they were winning, and I figured even if they came down to earth - it wouldn't be....December/March bad. it would be about .500 hockey. I was prepared to wave my flag on "we're still rebuilding, we'll make changes as we need to go along."

it drives me nuts (and it's not really a poke at you per se, it's everyone like the media, too) that you can't enjoy the fact that the Leafs win - and still be concerned. or you can be optimistic that things can turn around - but also look at the fact that the Leafs couldn't fight (and i don't mean punch, i mean sheer will) themselves a win. it bothers me that Nonis or whatever looked at the team last year (and there were flags last year too - and again. I'm a fan. I'm allowed to be all tralalala who cares - but this is their job - that the Leafs only clinched the playoffs the last week before the playoffs. All 3 teams (Montreal-Boston-Toronto will floundering, but the Leafs looked like they did this year for all 82 game).

people can be both. I'm not going to bemoan the win. and i'm not going to be dooooooooooooooooooooom the loss. but I am allowed to be cranky when they don't try. and Corsi no matter how advanced it is, can't say "yes. the Leafs didn't try." and that's what I'M upset about (i don't know about anyone else).

The leafs were out corsi'd by the blues 80-45. 42-9 when the game was actually close. That's........ I mean what is that?? It's literally impossible to be playing like that and have success. After that we outshot the flyers 34-29 right? But we were out corsi'd 65-55. When you are bad possession wise it's a sign of things to come. You're right, you don't have to fire people because of that. But when you're historically bad possession wise, like a 19% fen close against the Blues, then yeah there should be some firings.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
Our forwards are the issue, and not our defense. They don't come back with nearly as much energy and hunger to help out the D. They need do. All great teams have forwards who have the willingness to help out their D.

Kesse, Kadri, Lupul, and even Kulemin are guilty of that.

Kulemin is our best two way forward hands down. Randy tells the guys the flood the middle anyway. Leaving anyway on the half wall just free to do what they want. It's like we're killing a penalty at 5v5 all the time.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
The leafs were out corsi'd by the blues 80-45. 42-9 when the game was actually close. That's........ I mean what is that?? It's literally impossible to be playing like that and have success. After that we outshot the flyers 34-29 right? But we were out corsi'd 65-55. When you are bad possession wise it's a sign of things to come. You're right, you don't have to fire people because of that. But when you're historically bad possession wise, like a 19% fen close against the Blues, then yeah there should be some firings.

the GM gave carlyle these players ,,,nonis was here with his buddy ,he knew what kinda guys he signed ,,,,i cant see how nonis escapes ,if nothing else he l quit once he has to answer to someone,in the ens nonis wont be able to make the necessary changes,expect firing carlyle ,since most of the long term garbage is his and brian burkes doing,...if it ant shanny ,it might be hextall ,but somones head has to roll ,and carlyle has the best track record of the 2 between him and nonis,

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not that often. But I think Nonis have a job lined up at Calgary.

Would be "fun" if he did get that job and the Burke/Nonis combo did not try to get some of their players from the Leafs, like Phaneuf.

oh I wish they could get Phaneuf from us, please God make it so. I liked Nonis but if we must lose him in order to lose Phaneuf so be it.

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
Kulemin is our best two way forward hands down. Randy tells the guys the flood the middle anyway. Leaving anyway on the half wall just free to do what they want. It's like we're killing a penalty at 5v5 all the time.

Two-way means defending and scoring. He does not score.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No idea if Shanahan makes sense in the role they want him in. I suppose he does as he seems like a smart guy that's respected by executives and players.

If you hire him though, you might as well wipe off the front office and get him put the people in place. I don't want Nonis to be looking over his shoulder and to be afraid to make a mistake... I want him to fix the team but if he can't do it to his fullest abilities, fire him.

I would much prefer someone with more experience and a great track record. It's tough to find them but surely not impossible. Experience could be overrated though, especially if you hire a dinosaur that still thinks you can build a team like in the 1980's.

Can we just get back to respectability? It would be nice not to be a complete laughting stock every year.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I feel dirty posting his stuff but..

@simmonssteve 17s
When Nonis signed his 5-year deal with Leafs he was told that 1 day there will likely be team exec above him. And he's OK with that. #shanny

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve
Tim Leiweke wants Brendan Shanahan. Shanahan has interest in Leafs. Both are being awfully quiet. The betting here is the deal gets done.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I feel dirty posting his stuff but..

@simmonssteve 17s
When Nonis signed his 5-year deal with Leafs he was told that 1 day there will likely be team exec above him. And he's OK with that. #shanny

I guess that removes my doubts that Nonis wouldn't want someone over him.

That's good then I guess.

Git er done

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

He was when he was given offensive zone starts and offensive players to play with. Often production is indicative of who you play with and in which role. He's being asked to shoulder the PK and defensive zone starts because our other forwards suck. Oh, and he's not getting PP time.

Role 4 lines, none of this top 6 bottom 6/ top 9 and bot... nvm bottom 3 doesn't play. Fire Carlyle.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Git er done

"Hey Nonis, Tim here". "I want to give you more money and a longer term but I might bring in some one to work over you, ok with that?"

"Where do I sign"

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Yep. Our team is predominently one-dimensional.

One-way offensive guys and one-way defensive/checking guys. When the closest thing you have to a "two-way" forward is something like Bozak or JVR, thats a problem.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Git er done

Yeah, I don't know why people were assuming that Nonis wasn't already aware of this. There was talk of Gretzky awhile ago and supposedly, conversations with Shanahan have been going on for some time.

Bringing in a president/director of hockey ops puts another strong hockey mind in the front office. One who can work with Nonis to create an identity for the team. Such a person can also serve as the public face of the team. It seems pretty clear that Nonis is not particularly thrilled with doing interviews and things like that -- and while guys like Poulin and Loiselle can provide insights, I think many fans prefer hearing from someone with more authority.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
then you make the decision to trade them then. I personally would have (for asset management). but at the same time - do you assume that Player X would play the best hockey of his career (deemed by most media markets not just Toronto), and then sign a contract) and then play brutal hockey for for the other 1/2 of the season?

There are plenty of players who sign past TD day. Parise as I recall really jerked NJ around. but now a days - simply having cap space is an asset. so sure you could argue - no picks. but then you're able to make trades (if you need to) by offering to take salary etc.

[but to be fair, I don't know most of the nuances of the cap. :laugh:]

to the bolded.

if missing the playoffs seriously threatens your job, your lively hood, where you live, any GM will tend to side with self preservation.

he will hold his players for the push and do his best to save his job , bleeding out asset value won't mean much to him.

the bleeding out of asset values will be the organisations long term problem to deal with, not his. Kind of sounds like what we have been suffering through for 20+ years,no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad