Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
My biggest thing about a new guy is his leash to suck tbh.

Nice if we bring in a guy willing to do it right, build through the draft and have a couple of rough seasons.

Even when we did that in the Burke era he didn't come out and say "were gonna have growing pains"

The raptors brought in Ujiri and gave him full reign to do whatever necessary. He said the team wasn't good enough and wouldn't be a quick turnaround and was going to build it up.

The team is in the playoffs after a major trade and he's still saying they have lots of work to do.

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
Not sure how excited I am about this. The Raps brought in a guy with previous accolades around the league who was successful yet young and brought a fresh perspective. Shanny is young but he's got no experience creating a team.

He knows how to win and he knows how to be a leader and thats a good start. I'll give him a chance

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
My biggest thing about a new guy is his leash to suck tbh.

Nice if we bring in a guy willing to do it right, build through the draft and have a couple of rough seasons.

Even when we did that in the Burke era he didn't come out and say "were gonna have growing pains"

The raptors brought in Ujiri and gave him full reign to do whatever necessary. He said the team wasn't good enough and wouldn't be a quick turnaround and was going to build it up.

The team is in the playoffs after a major trade and he's still saying they have lots of work to do.

To be fair Nonis has always said theres a lot of work to do.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hope_smoke knocking it out of the park as always:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 42 mins
I enjoy how McKenzie said the Shanahan hiring would be to put out the fire in Toronto. Said "Mimico boy comes home"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 41 mins
How many Mimico boys have to come home? Who actually thinks Mimico (or Ontario guys) is a recipe for success?

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 40 mins
Here's an idea: how about talent and competence become a priority over birth certificate?

https://twitter.com/Hope_Smoke/status/454014301687525376

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Thats true but thanks to nonis there's even more work to do now, I'm going to go ahead and say this team is worser than the one Burke left us.

Before anyone says ooh Nonis got us Bernier tho, Leiweke said himself he told Nonis to get this guy no matter what. If it was up to nonis he probably woulda threw a few more millions at Weiss

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

What trade away all our picks on rentals we can't afford down the line, sign fat contracts that nobody could imagine signing and letting 2 top 6 players go for nothing and failing to bring back on of the best checkers in the NHL in Komarov.

In under 1 year he has done more to screw this team than any other GM in a single season. That is damning not cause for applause.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Thats true but thanks to nonis there's even more work to do now, I'm going to go ahead and say this team is worser than the one Burke left us.

Before anyone says ooh Nonis got us Bernier tho, Leiweke said himself he told Nonis to get this guy no matter what. If it was up to nonis he probably woulda threw a few more millions at Weiss

Its easy to make someone look bad when you just throw out blind specluation.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Not exactly profound material. Getting 3 hockey figures from Ontario in one year hardly suggests they're only targeting from there.

Didn't suggest they're only targeting from there. But if they pick up even one person because they're from toronto, that's idiotic. It's idiotic when it happens with players, and just as much so with management.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
Hope_smoke knocking it out of the park as always:

https://twitter.com/Hope_Smoke/status/454014301687525376

LOL? Are you hope smoke? :laugh:

HopeSmoke totally missed BobMcKenzie's point:laugh: Like completely. Completely took McKenzie's quote out of context.

Bob McKenzie said that in buffalo, sabres fans were calling for Regher's head. So what do they do? The owners give them Darcy's head but says we'll do one better and give you beloved Pat Lafontaine back to ease the fans thirst for blood (So they can renew tickets/advertisers) and seperate thesmelves from the fans.

Acquilini did the same thing. We'll give you Gillis head on a platter and also do one better. Give you guys everyones favourite former Canuck.

Colorado did the same thing.

Bob McKenzie said the Shanahan hire is a way to ease the thirst for blood the fans want and keep one extra layer between owners and fans by bringing in home grown former hockey player that people love.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO

then why did he go and sign clarkson, bolland etc,,, those are guys you get when you are contenders for the cup:nod:

nonis thought we were contenders, from what we did last year:nod::nod:

we are 5 years away, we have no young guys to fill in with small contracts and play a big game( points)

nonis is going backwards, giving out big contracts like we had 8 years ago.

NONIS SHOULD BE GONE NOW, BEFORE WE GET WORSE:nod::)

+ WE LOST ONE OF OUR DRAFT PICKS, KOMOROV

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
LOL? Are you hope smoke? :laugh:

HopeSmoke totally missed BobMcKenzie's point:laugh: Like completely. Completely took McKenzie's quote out of context.

Bob McKenzie said that in buffalo, sabres fans were calling for Regher's head. So what do they do? The owners give them Darcy's head but says we'll do one better and give you beloved Pat Lafontaine back to ease the fans thirst for blood (So they can renew tickets/advertisers) and seperate thesmelves from the fans.

Acquilini did the same thing. We'll give you Gillis head on a platter and also do one better. Give you guys everyones favourite former Canuck.

Colorado did the same thing.

Bob McKenzie said the Shanahan hire is a way to ease the thirst for blood the fans want and keep one extra layer between owners and fans by bringing in home grown former hockey player that people love.

no lol, i'm not him. Can't say I heard the interview...but I think it's ridiculous that people would be appeased by something that nonsensical. I want Nonis fired, but if they hire the bum I saw downtown yesterday I wouldn't care as long as he knows what he's doing

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Didn't suggest they're only targeting from there. But if they pick up even one person because they're from toronto, that's idiotic. It's idiotic when it happens with players, and just as much so with management.

No I agree. But there's no sense in Hope Smoke making that point unless he's trying to suggest they are. And it's only the media pointing out a coincidence to begin with.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Actually a bit excited for this off season. Leiweke was too new and could not properly eval the leafs this past off season. If you look at some of the pieces he has brought to the Raps and TFC..this guy wants all of the MLSE teams to be champs. I think Nonis will get told to fire Carlyle and the entire behind the bench staff. Start fresh..completely next season.

Shanny is a top hockey mind so I think he would be a great addition.

The couple must moves are

Reimer trade...and not because he is terrible..but because he is a class act, and deserves to be traded so he can play. No use in having him sit for 25 games then bring him in. He is not the backup type..he needs to play to find a groove.

Top 4 DFD...here I see Gunnar the odd man out...Dion's stats defensively are tops on the team and obvi Gards and Reilly are huge OFD assets that havent come close to there potential and looked amazing. Even in the losing skid those 2 stuck out and seemed like the only ones who cared.

Pure Goal Scoring C or W...I see going a couple different ways..If we cant/dont want to resign Bolland..more likely we get a center. If we sign Bolland I see either Kadri or Kule or both gone. Kule is a good 3rd line two way winger. Kadri while he has 50 pts is inconsistent but you could argue that has to do with age. Id love to see Mike Camm in blue and white. He scores goals, competes every night..plus Burke and Nonis could easily be trade partners.

IF possible as well...I have found a home for Clarkson IF the leafs give up on him. I think he just had a terrible year. Before this season we would all be asking for him to be a leaf. Pre season started bad and then injuries made it worse. Who would take him. That is easy. Edmonton ! They offered him more than we did..so they would get a bargain technically...not to mention they need a vet leader like him to help the young super stars. This would give a major cap space and a decent piece at way less back.

Good luck Nonis..this off season is make or break. If Nonis doesnt step it up he too will be fired,

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
then why did he go and sign clarkson, bolland etc,,, those are guys you get when you are contenders for the cup:nod:

we are 5 years away, we have no young guys to fill in with small contracts and play a big game( points)

Wow...were are not five years away man. Simply put Randys style doesnt suit the team. They cant play a d game, not with the players we have HOWEVER look at our d last year..it wasnt great but it was way better than this year and the players that we had then and now on d arent much different. I really feel like Randy lost the players..which is why I think he gets fired. I also think Komarov maybe back next year for us. BTW Clarkson and Bolland werent brought in because we were making a cup run..you dont get those guys to do that. You get a ridiculous rental player. Poor Bolland gets an extremely severe injury..gotta wonder if things may have gone different if he was healthy. Then Clarkson had a bad start and never looked comfortable out there. There are major moves ahead and Leiweke seems like a no bs guy. He has done wonders with TFC and lesser but still so with the Raps. Kinda excited to see what happens

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

:rant:if your going to do it, do it right:rant:

Don't forget about holding onto ALL his UFAs at the TD:naughty:

with the 2013,2014,2015 2nds already gone, man a little restocking of our impressive deep system would have been nice,no?

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
Wow...were are not five years away man. Simply put Randys style doesnt suit the team. They cant play a d game, not with the players we have HOWEVER look at our d last year..it wasnt great but it was way better than this year and the players that we had then and now on d arent much different. I really feel like Randy lost the players..which is why I think he gets fired. I also think Komarov maybe back next year for us. BTW Clarkson and Bolland werent brought in because we were making a cup run..you dont get those guys to do that. You get a ridiculous rental player. Poor Bolland gets an extremely severe injury..gotta wonder if things may have gone different if he was healthy. Then Clarkson had a bad start and never looked comfortable out there. There are major moves ahead and Leiweke seems like a no bs guy. He has done wonders with TFC and lesser but still so with the Raps. Kinda excited to see what happens

Keep drinking the kool-aid...

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Reimer trade...and not because he is terrible..but because he is a class act, and deserves to be traded so he can play. No use in having him sit for 25 games then bring him in. He is not the backup type..he needs to play to find a groove.

Good ol James has played himself out of a starters role anywhere in the NHL. He's also proven that he is either 1. Not a very good backup or 2. can't stay motivated enough or he is just a suck when he doesn't get to start. His mental fortitude should be a serious red flag to any team hoping to get him as a goalie. I think his only options are Calgary or Europe unless the Leafs inexplicably want to keep him. He has basically been the centerpiece of two of the biggest choke jobs in recent memory. Yes, I know the whole team is to blame but it's kind of a big coincidence that Reimer is right in the center of it. With Bernier the Leafs are 3rd in the east. Once he goes down, the Leafs miss the playoffs. Then there was game 7....

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
JVR-Shanahan-Kessel

Looks good to me, although not sure if Shanahan has played C. Worth a try. I'm game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad