Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Well, def took its toll. You know you’re losing it when you’re getting into it with bottles and random fans.

Very tongue-in-cheek. Between those instances AND the conference, you could tell he was done. I expect him to take the year off.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Tavares was good for toronto until only recently, people seem to forget that
He was and Matthews, Marner and Nylander all developed about as good as could have possibly been expected too and yet they only managed to ever win a single round in the playoffs. That screams that the GMs plan was never good enough IMO.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Can you explain what the "be the smartest person in the room" approach entailed?
Taking an approach that no one else sees coming.

Now, that's definitely not a bad take, especially in the NHL where they like to recycle failures, but the guy they chose was too obvious in his approach and didn't seem to willing to deviate from his plan despite obvious flaws.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
As a Leafs fan this is awful.

He made his mistakes, but overall he did a fantastic job, and learned on the job. I have a feeling whoever gets him for his second run will be extremely lucky.

Great person, great GM. Ultimately perhaps too loyal to his core 4, but I will miss him.

Eric Tulsky, come on down!

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
All in all I think Dubas did a really good job of trying to build a solid team in spite of his past mistakes but they were probably just too great to overcome. Wouldn’t doubt if he kills it on his next team, but there’s also definitely the chance he didn’t really learn from this either.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
Damn. He wasn't terrible by any means, but he couldn't get the job done, either. They gave him years to build a contender, and they never made it past the second round.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but it makes sense. Keefe needs to be fired, too. He seemed to have no clue what to do with all the new toys Dubas acquired at the deadline. Strange times ahead for Leafs fans.
This is my take as well. I think the deadline acquisitions this year were great but he should have had more deals like that earlier in his tenure.

If you're not winning, sometimes you just need a shakeup. Offseason should be interesting.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино
tinyurl.com
and-here-we-go-joker.gif

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Mitch Marner is gonna use that joke of a Selke nomination to try to extort an even larger contract from the next Leafs GM. Fortunately for Toronto, Kyle Dubas is no longer going to be there to bend over and give it to him.

it's called being a good player

good players get good contracts.

Perhaps in two. Quinn's Leafs and Fletcher's Leafs would have sent the Panthers to their safe space toute suite after Florida's first act of impunity.

(And full marks to Florida - entirely earned series win over our gentle squad).

Fletcher and Quinn?! LMAO

holy shit those perennial losers were so bad that Jeff Finger and Carlo Colaiacovo became household names for all the wrong reasons.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I could see member’s of Jim Nill’s staff in Dallas getting a heavy look as Dubas’ successor with how well they’ve moved over the past half decade. More than likely it’ll be Spezza though.
I'm not sure. DAL's extension of their contention window is almost entirely due to finding elite players and other contributors from non-premium draft picks.

Hintz (2nd round)
Robertson (2nd round)
Oettinger (late 1st)
Johnston (late 1st)

That's not really something replicable from management. Maybe you poach their scouts or something.

Reactions: Azrael89

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
ah ok

if you think a selke nominated player (leafs best PKer) who consistently gets over 90 points isn't worth $10 million and a consistent PPG/30+ goal player who consistently tilts the ice isn't worth... uhhh $7 million, then good luck with that brain damage?
They are not worth that if they choke every year in the playoffs.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
He did say it's Toronto or nothing but... those Pens rumors have been swirling around for a while.

Pipe dream is the Sens new owners can Dorion and DJ as soon as the sale goes through and bring in Alfie, Dubas and Spezza into the front office for the POHO, GM and AGM roles.

Love Dubas and what he did in Toronto, not his fault his core barely showed up for the 2nd round.

Tuggy

Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Gotta think the Leafs go with an experienced guy this time. Would be surprised to see them bring in another first timer.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Brain damage is paying restricted free agents that kind of money when they have no leverage and when precious cap space could have been used to improve other areas of the team.

that and neither Matthews or Marner were what he calls them back when they signed those deals

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It all stems back to blowing $11M on Tavares instead of improving defense, when you already had a franchise 1C.

This cannot be expressed enough. You had Matthews and Kadri already in tow. Why are you f***ing around blowing a fortune on another center (and then having to pay everyone else the same as to justify the signing) instead of getting help for Reilly?

That $11 million could have bought you a defender and goaltender that would've made a difference all those years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad