Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Dubas was not the problem, he literally did everything possible to put a winning team in Toronto.

He built a great organization, losing him is a massive blow, no matter how they spin this.

This firing is 100% because of the players underdelivering
He really went for it this year. I liked a lot of the moves he made at the deadline. I'm not sure I entirely agree that he wasn't the problem, but you absolutely have a point. If Matthews, Marner, and Tavares deliver in the second round- they likely win it.

Bob also played amazing in a bunch of the games I saw. I wouldn't go as far as to say the Leafs were goalie'd, but he was a big difference maker in that series. It didn't help that the Leafs lost their starter early in the season.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
It all stems back to blowing $11M on Tavares instead of improving defense, when you already had a franchise 1C.
the funny thing is I am still convinced that instead of cheering when Tavares chose the Leafs I think Leafs management went "sh*t, he was supposed to take the more money that the other teams were offering.!!! we only made an offer to make our fans happy."

Reactions: Azrael89

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
And now we see HF flip and pretend they haven't pretended he is a bottom 5 GM this whole time. He is an elite GM, and wherever he goes he will turn that franchise around.

Will be badly missed

Right on cue.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
And now we see HF flip and pretend they haven't pretended he is a bottom 5 GM this whole time. He is an elite GM, and wherever he goes he will turn that franchise around.

Will be badly missed
100% agree that he is a top GM. The badly missed will be decided by his replacement.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A good move for Toronto imo. Hockey is a results oriented business and Dubas had no real playoff success despite a strong regular season record. To his credit he finally figured out this year that you need sandpaper in your top 9 players but it was too little too late. That and botching the goaltending situation plus the Tavares signing were his downfall.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
OIP.Tb7tFBfXbuv2MkXEFOCEUAHaE8

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Tavares was good for toronto until only recently, people seem to forget that

I think it's more he was never going to live up to that contract. It also hurt Dubas' negotiation power signing Matthews and Marner as they likely pointed to Tavares and said "we're better. Pay us that." Or their agent's did rather.

That being said, Dubas is criticised a bit too harshly for those contracts. People forget this was pre-Covid when the cap was jumping massively. In the very year Matthews signed, it went up 4.5M. Those contracts wouldn't look bad at all had Covid never happened.

On the whole, I think Dubas is a very good GM that had some growing pains to work out. Kind of hope he does take some time because of Allvin/JR don't work out, I'd be happy to have him in Vancouver down the road.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
He made his mistakes but he gave his core everything they needed to get the job done and then some. He's a really good GM- even if it was time for a change, finding an upgrade will be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad