Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Dubas’s mistake was giving massive contracts to two restricted free agents when they had zero leverage and who are now going to be demanding raises. Stupid move.

ah ok

if you think a selke nominated player (leafs best PKer) who consistently gets over 90 points isn't worth $10 million and a consistent PPG/30+ goal player who consistently tilts the ice isn't worth... uhhh $7 million, then good luck with that brain damage?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Right on cue.
A few will troll, but I think most posters thought he was an average to pretty good GM, and that seems like a fair assessment, but I understand TO firing him, especially if he wanted to keep Keefe around. Some posters did view him as a really good GM, though.

HF likes to troll Toronto's core way more than their GM.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I could see member’s of Jim Nill’s staff in Dallas getting a heavy look as Dubas’ successor with how well they’ve moved over the past half decade. More than likely it’ll be Spezza though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He really went for it this year. I liked a lot of the moves he made at the deadline. I'm not sure I entirely agree that he wasn't the problem, but you absolutely have a point. If Matthews, Marner, and Tavares deliver in the second round- they likely win it.

Bob also played amazing in a bunch of the games I saw. I wouldn't go as far as to say the Leafs were goalie'd, but he was a big difference maker in that series. It didn't help that the Leafs lost their starter early in the season.
Liked a lot of the moves he made at the deadline? He made only one move - acquiring O'Reilly and Acciari. Acciari's okay, O'Reilly was good, but this still was just one move.

Yes, lost Murray early in the season. Murray, who has had massive injury trouble for years. Could it have been predicted that he might be injury prone? Surfely not.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think it's more he was never going to live up to that contract. It also hurt Dubas' negotiation power signing Matthews and Marner as they likely pointed to Tavares and said "we're better. Pay us that." Or their agent's did rather.

That being said, Dubas is criticised a bit too harshly for those contracts. People forget this was pre-Covid when the cap was jumping massively. In the very year Matthews signed, it went up 4.5M. Those contracts wouldn't look bad at all had Covid never happened.

On the whole, I think Dubas is a very good GM that had some growing pains to work out. Kind of hope he does take some time because of Allvin/JR don't work out, I'd be happy to have him in Vancouver down the road.
Make dubas canucks president and send rutherford to retirement

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Liked a lot of the moves he made at the deadline? He made only one move - acquiring O'Reilly and Acciari. Acciari's okay, O'Reilly was good, but this still was just one move.

Yes, lost Murray early in the season. Murray, who has had massive injury trouble for years. Could it have been predicted that he might be injury prone? Surfely not.
I was talking about Samsonov getting injured. I thought it was game two, but apparently it was game three against the Panthers.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

Lafferty and McCabe as well.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
ah ok

if you think a selke nominated player (leafs best PKer) who consistently gets over 90 points isn't worth $10 million and a consistent PPG/30+ goal player who consistently tilts the ice isn't worth... uhhh $7 million, then good luck with that brain damage?
You’d think a team with so many players who excel do well both defensively and on offense, they’d find a way to win more than 5 playoffs games at some point.

Macman

May 15, 2004
ah ok

Brain damage is paying restricted free agents that kind of money when they have no leverage and when precious cap space could have been used to improve other areas of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad